Deep Snow Wheeling - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 167685
Deep Snow Wheeling

Always been a debate between thin and wide tires in snow. I have had good experience with Simex 35x9.5's over my TSL 35x15.5 in deep snow.

Experiences? Opinions?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 81232
I think just as big a factor as your tire choice is the type of snow. I have wheeled deep snow that was "heavy" and my 35X16 wide boggers did great. I've also wheeled equally deep light powdery snow that my tires just pushed into and I had problems making progress. There are a ton of variables.
GreyZuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 23586
Send a message via AIM to unRL
Wide is the only way to go in deep deep snow. Snow wheelin has been my kick since 1975. I've seen everything tried. Check out my youtube vid. Search "superjeep sidehilling". The kicker is on side hills vs wide open ares. It used to be Dezert dogs (if you remember them) were the best for tight tricky places and side hills, and Tru tracks did best in the wide open deep shit. Now I see 47" swamper LTBs kickin ass on side hills and the 49" irocks and 46" mickys doing it in the open country. Also check out videos by "snowbattman99" on youtube for awesome demonstration of what a little rig can do.
Carl Jantz A.S.,B.S.,M.E. & S.O.H.Ks. SUPER JP ,42 Flat Fender, 25" stretch, JANA 76's, 300M, ARBS, 5.89's, 47s, SM420, Ranger overdrive, Dual disk McCleod, PTO, 4:1, Home made bead locks, and Patented the Yukon Superjoint.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
unRL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 167685
Willl check it out, i wanna try out some bigger and different interco tires in the snow see if i get better luck.

I wheeled in montana, up near scobey, powder powder powder. Simex 9.5's did amazing. Also here in jersey, never really had good experiences with the wider ones in the winter. Always the thinner ones.

Last edited by Diesel2; 09-03-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Diesel2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 23586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel2 View Post
Always been a debate between thin and wide tires in snow. I have had good experience with Simex 35x9.5's over my TSL 35x15.5 in deep snow.

Experiences? Opinions?
Regardless of tire type you must sipe the tire and add extra grooving. and if you are running more than 2psi, you aint snow wheelin.
Carl Jantz A.S.,B.S.,M.E. & S.O.H.Ks. SUPER JP ,42 Flat Fender, 25" stretch, JANA 76's, 300M, ARBS, 5.89's, 47s, SM420, Ranger overdrive, Dual disk McCleod, PTO, 4:1, Home made bead locks, and Patented the Yukon Superjoint.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Shift to the Best

Member # 68266
I say wide

I say wide tires, low single digit psi. You've got to float on top, well most of the time. I too remember Desert Dogs, and TruTracs. I'm loving my IROK's right now. Lot's of open tread to get a grip. IMHO siping is more for compact snow, grooving helps open up the pattern if the tires need it. Did I mention I agree low single digit psi. Also I seems that a narrower rim will flatten out the tire better and also help keep the bead seated. We don't run beadlocks never have and never have seen the need too, well not yet anyway.

Shift controllers and shifters, AMS mounts
Toyota Triple & Twin Sticks
John 3:16- He is the answer.
R.DesJardin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2160
Wide and a thin side wall the Cepeks in the day were the cats meow- Jess

- Also see us on facebook @ High Angle Driveline
530-877-2875
onetoncv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 23586
cheap bead locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
I say wide tires, low single digit psi. You've got to float on top, well most of the time. I too remember Desert Dogs, and TruTracs. I'm loving my IROK's right now. Lot's of open tread to get a grip. IMHO siping is more for compact snow, grooving helps open up the pattern if the tires need it. Did I mention I agree low single digit psi. Also I seems that a narrower rim will flatten out the tire better and also help keep the bead seated. We don't run beadlocks never have and never have seen the need too, well not yet anyway.
Back in the day we used 3m super weather strip adhesive. A must if you are doing any side hills. I also hear 3m 5200 works well. don't use silicone its maybe 1/4th the adhesive strength. We just sanded the rims a bit to give some bite.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2160
Bleach the rims after sanding helps- Jess

- Also see us on facebook @ High Angle Driveline
530-877-2875
onetoncv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 55444
Wide tires kick ass in the snow. With the 49s I could idle through anything, towing trucks on 37s behind me. At one point the guy on the rope locked up the brakes cause he wanted off and I couldn't even tell. My truck was about 2000lbs heavier than the one on 37s, and he sunk an easy 8" farther than I did.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 23586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel2 View Post

Experiences? Opinions?
When the wide swampers came out originally we thought this is the ticket however the voids between the tread was to small compared to the size of the lugs, and the side wall way to stiff, you would air them down and they would not flex, they just fell off the rims. The 12.50 33s and 36s kick the 15.5s every time. I called the tread to void ratio, the aspect ratio. If its not at lease 50/50 there is not enough traction. Even the 15 /39.5 swampers sucked compared to 12.5 /36s for snow. I think Irocks got it right, just put them and go for it, no siping or grooving required.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 23586
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
I too remember Desert Dogs, and TruTracs. I'm loving my IROK's right now.
Then you also remember when the hot set up was Goodyear terra tires on the rear to match the dogs up front, as who could possibly afford 4 of them at $220 a piece.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 15296
I went from Simex 35x10.5 ETs to 36" Iroks...night and day difference on the snow (for top soil mud, Simex is hard to beat)...go for the 36" Iroks...good snow tire for that size...I'm currently in the 42" Irok and they do a good job as well
Old 09-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Shift to the Best

Member # 68266
Quote:
Originally Posted by unRL View Post
Then you also remember when the hot set up was Goodyear terra tires on the rear to match the dogs up front, as who could possibly afford 4 of them at $220 a piece.
And the Terra's ruled on the back for PNW4WDA obstacle course racing too.
Sorry old guys flashing back. IROk's are always in th etop three of anyone poll, just do it. Oh yeah the 37" aren't as big as the 36" at least that's what the website says.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 37649
Send a message via MSN to Blue MT. SnowRunner
Round where I am it the only kind of wheeling we do. Like others said wide tires on wide rims. Bare min a 35, but most people run at least a 38. Rim wise nothing smaller that a 10 wider preferably a 12 or 14. Tires of choice around here were the gumbo mudders for the longest time, but now the IROKs are starting to take over. Ive heard the pitbulls do really well too. Siping definitely helps as does groving if your tire doesnt have enough open lug or flex well. I prefer a thicker sidewall incase of trees or other obstacles etc. So long as its not too stiff doesnt matter to me. I have a set of bias 42 iroks and they will sit on the rims brand new never wheeled. The type of snow you are wheeling in really makes a difference. There are days where you can go anywhere and days where you better just stay at home. Most people around here run 0-4 psi in there tires. Its amazing what only a pound or two difference can make. If you show up here with chains you will be ridiculed and laughed off the mountain. Besides the rig that your in its really up to the driver. Ive see built to the hilt rigs that cant be driven for shit outwheeled by a 2000 dollar toy on 35s. Snow wheeling takes a massive amount of skill in my opinion its not always just right foot. You really have to be in tune with your rig and the terrain.

Last edited by Blue MT. SnowRunner; 09-03-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Blue MT. SnowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 142211
Question for you guys. What about AG tires (Like in the 16.1" sizes)? I've seen a lot of people who swear by them.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 37649
Send a message via MSN to Blue MT. SnowRunner
Never seen them ran, but I would say they would be too stiff, digg to much, and would not provide great lateral traction when side hilling or on the icy stuff.

UNRL I reread your stuff and you def know your shit. I like your lug/void ratio and have thought the same thing many times. There are alot of tires out there that would work really good if they had the proper ratio.

Also like he said check out snowbatman99 and snowplay 33. They wheel near me and have some sweet snow vids, I really hope to go with them sometime.

Last edited by Blue MT. SnowRunner; 09-03-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Blue MT. SnowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 83976
Sorry for high jack but unRL just got down watching that vid you mentioned bad ass you got a build thread or pics some were of that jeep
the1208 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 23586
super jeep thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1208 View Post
Sorry for high jack but unRL just got down watching that vid you mentioned bad ass you got a build thread or pics some were of that jeep
Let me put some more fires out on my Jana project and I'll do my/super jeep life history
Old 09-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 23586
vids of super jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1208 View Post
Here is a good link YouTube - jantz snow wildcat 09
Old 09-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 23586
Breakin in tires for Snow Running

Lets see if your experiences agree with mine. If your gonna run deep snow you gotta break in your side wall for best performance. Not as necessary with radials as bias but still practical. Of course any one will tell you that running tires at single digit pressures will wreck them, but then we do it for years. I think this is how it works, If you say were to run low pressure down the highway, the tires will heat up, the rubber over vulcanizes, crumbles, and viola blow out. But in the snow the rubber stays cool and the side wall loosens up a bit. I noticed when I first got my 44" Swampers I had to go to 1.75 lbs to get them to work, (same as my 44" mudders) and soon as I hit a side hill of course they folded over and I lost performance and would have to air up to about 4 to keep them upright, but then of course I lost traction and flotation again and would battle air pressure all day depending on terrain. After a couple of years on them I began to notice that they would flex out good at 4 psi, and no fold over on side hills. So when I got the 47's I basically ran them all but flat for the 1st couple days of snow wheeling, (ave daily temp 20 degs and drove No faster than 20 miles per hours). Guys looked at at them and said they were to low and I just said I was experimenting, even digital gages showed 0 psi. Sure enough by the 3rd run out I noticed I could raise my tire pressure to around 3 and they did what I wanted them to do and handled much better. So what I was able to do in a weekend was to break them in so they worked like I wanted them to so that they acted like there was only 1.75psi in them at 4 psi.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Shift to the Best

Member # 68266
Tire break in

Quote:
Originally Posted by unRL View Post
Lets see if your experiences agree with mine. If your gonna run deep snow.............................................. .run low psi first .......................then run 4ish..............................so that they acted like there was only 1.75psi in them at 4 psi.
Very interesting, make's you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................

Old 09-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 23586
Question for shifter guy

Is snowbattman99 running one of your shifters?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 42146
Send a message via AIM to snowdemon Send a message via MSN to snowdemon Send a message via Yahoo to snowdemon
unRL I agree with your theory completely. Blue Mt. Snowrunner and i have had this exact discussion before and I know from personal experience that breaking in my sidewalls was a must. I've done this to both my Toyo Mt's when I had my Toyota's and my IROK's for the buggy. With the Toyo's being a on a DD, I ran them at about 5-8 psi for about a week on siped 37x14.50x15's with 15x12 MT Classic II's. Huge difference on the snow wheeling aspect and I loved the tires. I have had great success with these and ran them around 2 PSI with no broken beads.

The IROK's are a little different because they are on a trailered rig. I've got a set on both my TJ and Buggy and they aren't ever filled about 8 psi. After some miles on them they have considerably better traction and float in the snow once broken in than new.
snowdemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 69594
The heavy wet snow we have here wide tires work great, there's a guy down the road from me that runs some 39.5 x wide as fuck old school dick cepeks that don't even spin in the snow, leaves perfect stampings of the tread the whole way. The 33x12.5 BFG's I had on my last truck sucked camel dick in the same type of snow, better be hauling ass and spinning them fast enough to clean them or you were fucked.
TrikeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in