14 bolt 300M shaft question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 89560
14 bolt 300M shaft question

I know this is a big gay mud truck, but I need your opinions.

Here is the deal.
Twin turbo 421 cid SBC, 1200hp, 1000ft/lbs torque, 14.9-R24 R1 tires, 14 bolt front and rear diffs, 6800 lbs full size Chevy and a retard behind the wheel

I have not built the front axle yet, but here's the plan. 14 bolt with D60 outers, 40 spline ARB with 35 spline stubs. Should I run 35 spline stubs, or go with 37 spline? I would like to keep the stock spindle, so 40 spline stubs are out.

In the rear 14 bolt I already have a Detroit. Will 30 spline 300M axles live?

Suggesting rockwells is out. This in a leaf sprung truck, and to not want to lift it any more (6" lift+3"body). I do trail ride, but there aren't many rocks up here in northern Alberta mostly mud and muskeg.

I am willing to accept breakage, but only in the event that I am doing something stupid.

What do you think?
rigpig on juice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 129373
If I had the money on tap I would have done Rockwell outers on my 14 bolt front or portals. But with the disk brake set up you are looking at some serious coin.

I don't know what kind of power they can take but if you did portals on the 14 you could go back to the 44 or 47's it would reduce the stress on the gears and inner shafts and I would think you would have less power lose with the smaller lighter tires. It would also keep your diff out of the mud just like the larger tires. If you did that I think superiors or other good inners would hold just fine.

With the 14 front running on the coast side I think your gears are going to be your week spot. I would for sure look at cryo or something like that to increase the gear tooth strength if you don't run portals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."
joshua1086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 74936
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigpig on juice View Post
Twin turbo 421 cid SBC, 1200hp, 1000ft/lbs torque, 14.9-R24 R1 tires, 14 bolt front and rear diffs, 6800 lbs full size Chevy
Any pic's of said awesomeness? Build thread? pic's of yer gf? Are you really in thailand?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I miss my Kayla.
daddytall is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 89560
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddytall View Post
Any pic's of said awesomeness? Build thread? pic's of yer gf? Are you really in thailand?

Search

I have a build thread in the Chevy section, and yes I live and work in Thailand.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 5110
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigpig on juice View Post
...In the rear 14 bolt I already have a Detroit. Will 30 spline 300M axles live?...
Have you found anyone who will make you those axles? It isn't a standard spline and not many people have the tooling to do it. Will you get them hobbed?
Old 09-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 91363
Do you have ford or chevy outers? I have a set of ford 37 spline CTM stubs and drive flanges I might be interested in selling off.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 55444
Didn't solid just post about new spindles and stubs to get 40 spline outers? Might be a way to go since you're that far?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 21240
CTM will make you shafts for your 14bff. I believe the ones he made a friend of mine were 30 spline inner and 40 spline at the bolt on driveflange. He is running his with a full spool and with 42" stickies he beats the holy hell out of this rig on the AZ rocks several times a month for 8 months a year. He went to the CTM's and spool after he broke several stock shafts, a detroit, and a welded minispool ball.

Harley
Hoss50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 89560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss666 View Post
Do you have ford or chevy outers? I have a set of ford 37 spline CTM stubs and drive flanges I might be interested in selling off.
Thanks, but I have Chevy outers.

I will be contacting Solid about their 40 spline stubs.

How about for the rear axle? I am think now of ditching the Detroit and running a spool.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 45977
Just alittle off topic but how do you think that motor is going to work out in a trail rig?

Before I started to trailride I had what I thought was a trail/mud truck and it made 750-850 hp and it was way too much for a trail rig. I couldnt keep my big block even close to cool on the trail. I put a 450 horse 468 in and it was alot more fun on the trail.

Now I have close to a stock 4.0 in a jeep and have way more fun than I ever did in my truck!
twentyfootdaredevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 89560
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyfootdaredevil View Post
Just alittle off topic but how do you think that motor is going to work out in a trail rig?

Before I started to trailride I had what I thought was a trail/mud truck and it made 750-850 hp and it was way too much for a trail rig. I couldnt keep my big block even close to cool on the trail. I put a 450 horse 468 in and it was alot more fun on the trail.

Now I have close to a stock 4.0 in a jeep and have way more fun than I ever did in my truck!
There is a big difference between a 1200 hp turbo motor vs. a 1200 hp N/A motor. The good thing about running a turbo motor, is that I can easily change the tune, boost and horsepower.

On my first motor, out on the trails I have run 9 psi, pump gas and methanol injection. I had zero issues.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 11145
I have RCV 300m 14 bolt and running 54 holding up good. The 60 gears are not so happy. They have a cool end cap. Check them out.
TTC 2010 Competitor #48 Thanks for the votes it was a great time.
Thanks to Micky Thompson Tires,King Shocks,Warn,RCV axles,ARB,Viking Winchline, OMF Wheels for the help to make my junk run.
One Big Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 4197
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Big Zuk View Post
I have RCV 300m 14 bolt and running 54 holding up good. The 60 gears are not so happy. They have a cool end cap. Check them out.
i would not trust RCV.. Here in the south there have been severe people break them: the bell, the splines, and the actual 300M shafts. With lots less motor and less weight ( a lot).

I would be calling Randy O and asking about some of his axles made to go in a 14 bolt...He has made some;but, you did not hear from me

Last edited by onetonwillysands10; 09-13-2010 at 08:05 PM.
onetonwillysands10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in