1985 k2500 Suburban w/400sb and "LPG/CNG Conversion" Issues. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 168970
1985 k2500 Suburban w/400sb and "LPG/CNG Conversion" Issues.

ok, this is sorta a plea for help for anyone who can offer advice and sorta a rant (though I will try to limit that since nobody likes a complainer, lol).

Ok, my rig is a 1985 GMC K2500 Suburban with a small block and auto-tranny. I have been fixing it up bit by bit as I can afford when I can afford. Trying to find a balance between reliability, power, functionality, and efficiency. So in pursuing this in the drive train I have upgraded several facets of the engine.

1) (Calif Legal) Edelbrock Performer Cylinder Heads (64cc combustion chamber)
2) (Calif Legal) Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
3) (Calif Legal) Comp-Cams (high torque/high mileage) 4x4 camshaft & Gear Drive.
4) Moroso High Capacity 8qt oil pan
5) (Calif Legal) Full Length Doug Thorley 300y Headers w/3" Exhaust

But now here is my problem... Here in the "Great" State of California they like to spout off that they are so concerned with "Air Quality" and the reduction of "Tail-Pipe Emissions", and also spout off at the mouth advocating reform and alternative fuels. But then they prohibit you from being able to convert your vehicle to run on an alternative fuel such as propane or compressed natural gas. I am sure they justify this by some claim to 'looking out for our personal welfare so we don't blow ourselves up". But I am more suspect that they have monetary motives instead.
There have been propane kits in the past that have been CARB certified and legal for use, however the "kits" are no longer for sale anywhere I can find and we are not allowed to buy the parts individually to make a kit even if all the parts are correct. So wtf California, claim to hug trees, but make it against the law?
Don't get me wrong, I "aint no tree hugging extremist" but if at all possible I don't litter on purpose.

Unless there is a 50 State legal propane conversion kit employing an Impco CA425 mixer that I just haven't found. Anyone know anything about this?

Here is the list that outlines the "legal" conversions.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...s93_022607.pdf

Maybe someone else here knows more about this than I do.

Last edited by _JaKaL; 09-19-2010 at 11:17 AM.
_JaKaL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in