Running coolant ? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 54844
Running coolant ?

so im looking for a few opininons on running the coolant though the cage. Good bad ugly ?
: me fuckers :flipoff2:

build up of the truggy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
f250rollinon37s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Seems like a bad idea. Ever grab a radiator hose while the engine was at operating temp? Now imagine your whole cage being 200 degrees or so.

Exhaust pipe is cheap and so is agricultural sprayer hose. Use those instead.
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 44856
Send a message via AIM to DownNDirty
Really the only downside is that it turns your whole chassis into a heater. But if you don't mind burning yourself I would say go for it. Nothing like laying your leg against a 220 degree tube, or even worse grabbing one full force without thinking about.
DownNDirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 84970
Send a message via AIM to Xjcrawler736
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini View Post
Seems like a bad idea. Ever grab a radiator hose while the engine was at operating temp? Now imagine your whole cage being 200 degrees or so.

Exhaust pipe is cheap and so is agricultural sprayer hose. Use those instead.
Got any links to the Ag hose? I need to do my plumming of my Griffin next week.

Ultra4 #4343 Co-driver -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Xjcrawler736 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 168294
what are you trying to acomlish? Cooler engine temps??
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 168294
Is this juts a new set up for the radiator?
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 993
Seen it done. Guy set it off tobleednthe air from topof the cage and tovalve it off onboth sides. Like a heater core. Had a warm Jeep in the winter.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjcrawler736 View Post
Got any links to the Ag hose? I need to do my plumming of my Griffin next week.
no I don't. when I was planning on running a rear radiator, my buggy was at a friend's shop in farm country so I just went down the street ag supply place and prices some out. I think it was $4 a foot or something? Try searching google for "agricultural sprayer hose" the guy at the ag store told me Goodyear makes the best stuff.

I was going to use exhaust pipe for the longer straight sections then connect the ends with the ag hose.
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 149176
I know KOH and rock crawling don't have this rule but I now race cars are not allowed to put fluids in thier frame.

Crash and it would spray hot fluids everywhere, wouldn't be good.
At least a second tube is some what flexable (not welded to the frame) and is more likely to move out of the way rather than crack.

I used to work at a vintage race shop and converted a bunch of cars over for that reason.

Sorry to tell you that but I sure wouldn't do it.
Have I seen it done yeas, make sure you put bleaders in all the high areas.

~Justin

Sponsors:
Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts, Clayton Offroad, Baileigh
customcreationsllc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 52621
I have a rear radiator and the coolant runs through my chassis. One runs through the rock rail, the other through the subframe. It doesn't run through the whole chassis. I like my setup, looks cleaner than having hoses strapped to the chassis/subframe. The rock rail gets warm, but not hot enough to burn someone.
tw89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2395
I've been around a few with the coolant run through the chassis.

If you do, there are a couple things to consider:

1. Run it through tubes that are outside the passenger compartment and that people aren't going to grab when they are stealing a beer from your ice chest. The subframe might be your best bet.

2. If its not one continuous tube, trying to get all the welds to seal and not leak coolant into the rest of the chassis is going to be a PITA.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 36746
I was planning on running it through my chassis. There is an isolated tube on each side designed for coolant.
BamaSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 39492
A good friend of mine ran his through the main frame rail tubes on his buggy. Somehow the guy that TIG'd it up for him must have popped a couple pinholes in several tubes, cause within about five minutes of firing it up for the first time, it was seeping coolant from a couple different nodes up at the roof line, among other spots. He scrapped the idea and ran hoses, after drilling 1/8" holes in most the tubes on his buggy to drain all the coolant out.

I'm not a fan of the idea personally. Between the hot tubes (it's still gonna spread the heat to all the tubes attached to the "line"), potential for loss of all coolant if there is any kind of a crack or pinhole, and a leaking crack is going to be pretty much impossible to repair in the field btw, I just don't see enough of a packaging benefit to justify it.

Last edited by reddman; 09-23-2010 at 06:38 PM.
reddman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41059
Send a message via Yahoo to Bunk
I had coolant running thru my old frame(rec tube) that was in board of the boatsides. It never got super hot to the touch. I did have to chase leaks during initial fire-up and after some hard landings. It would start weeping slightly. I am going individual tubes on my new set-up, Not thru the frame.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20833
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw89yj View Post
I have a rear radiator and the coolant runs through my chassis. One runs through the rock rail, the other through the subframe. It doesn't run through the whole chassis. I like my setup, looks cleaner than having hoses strapped to the chassis/subframe. The rock rail gets warm, but not hot enough to burn someone.
Copy cat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddman View Post
I'm not a fan of the idea personally. Between the hot tubes (it's still gonna spread the heat to all the tubes attached to the "line"), potential for loss of all coolant if there is any kind of a crack or pinhole, and a leaking crack is going to be pretty much impossible to repair in the field btw, I just don't see enough of a packaging benefit to justify it.
My lower subframe is made of .188 so im not to worried about it getting messed up, its also protected by a skidplate.

MadRam11 Face Book Page

CHECK OUT

Last edited by MadRam; 09-23-2010 at 07:29 PM.
MadRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 52621
Quote:
and a leaking crack is going to be pretty much impossible to repair in the field
If a crack develops during a race, some waterweld will patch it right up. When I get home, I'll weld it up.
tw89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 104699
the Lovell chassis #001 Travis Cook has, the coolant is running through the chassis. It is nice not having to run two more coolant tubes through the maze of roll bar tubing.

Last edited by dougnelson; 09-24-2010 at 05:20 AM.
dougnelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 119773
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw89yj View Post
Pretty much exactly what i have, it works just fine.
rockdigging601 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 12225
I have coolant(water) through the chassis.....countless rolls,tumbles cartwheels,hard landings,jumps bla bla bla ...................works great,no issues.

1.5" DOM,.120 wall....pure water
jeepmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 70555
Quote:
A good friend of mine ran his through the main frame rail tubes on his buggy. Somehow the guy that TIG'd it up for him must have popped a couple pinholes in several tubes, cause within about five minutes of firing it up for the first time, it was seeping coolant from a couple different nodes up at the roof line, among other spots. He scrapped the idea and ran hoses, after drilling 1/8" holes in most the tubes on his buggy to drain all the coolant out.

That's why you pressurize it with air, spay soapy water on it, and weld up any pin holes beforehand.

Like anything else, it has it's pros and cons.

http://www.mandmfab.com/
rock mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 1889
Been running it through my nerfbars since 2004, only time I've ever had a tube leak after initial weld-up was when some crazy Canuck jumped my rig off a shipping container and landed on nothing but nerf from about a six foot fall, pushing the nerf in about eight inches and tearing it off of the boatside. It split and sprayed coolant... about a half inch directly onto the boatside. Lost all my coolant in a minute or so, but nobody got sprayed with hot coolant. In the Canuck's defense, I was spotting, and I told him to do what he did, and he did it, it just didn't go as well as I hoped. Never had an issue of anybody getting hurt by touching it, but it has surprised a couple people who grabbed it and realized that it was hot there.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 40162
My "cheap" buggy has the coolant running through the cagework- right up alongside the driver and passenger as a matter of fact. You dont really notice the heat coming off of it untill you lean your leg up against it or when you have to touch it getting in or out. I wrapped the tube right next to the driver and passenger with some old denim jeans legs to make getting in and out tolerable- looks hoopty, but it goes along with the general "cheap" idea of the buggy. Makes for a nice place to warm up your hands in colder weather though.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
We ran it in the old buggy. Never will do it again.

The sealing was not a big deal, but the bleeding was. It was a pita to get all the air out, and we had a few over heating issues due to it. Also grabbed the hot bar more times than I would have liked.

Plumb it separate, you will not regret it.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 54844
sorry for the limited info on the original post. it will be in a buggy im working on, and the tubes are at your feet. there should be no time you should have to touch them. the main reason would be packaging, clean and simple. we have talked about the heat soak, but the buggy we run in the cal rocs series has the tranny really close to the floor and it gets warm at times too. there is room for two more tubes, however it was just a thought. i have done this on other rigs, but nothing like a buggy, and the search didnt give me much.

the chassie is 1.5 .120 herw and will be mostly a trail rig, no plan on any racing at this time. the tubes are alos not what i would call hi stress eather
: me fuckers :flipoff2:

build up of the truggy

f250rollinon37s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 26468
Send a message via AIM to BigWoodyWag
Woodlee running -16s into the rails on John Galbreath Jr's "38 Special"

The premier podcast for those that make Off-Road & ULTRA4 Racing the toughest, most diverse motorsport in the world.

On--->>>

#555 Triple Nickel Racing,
BigWoodyWag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in