Pirate 4x4 banner

Bare cages how are you keeping them from rusting?

4K views 39 replies 31 participants last post by  gobigorgohome 
#1 ·
I Like the bare tube look and want to keep it. What's everyone using on there bare cages to keep from rusting? Lets hear it..

#6 ·
I used this on my cage while building to keep the surface rust from forming where I had wiped the tube clean to bend or weld. Applied it with a green scotch brite pad and kept any more rust from forming till the powder coat was done.

http://www.krudkutter.com/mustrust.asp

Found it at the home depot.

#15 · (Edited)
WD-40 unless you ever plan on paint.
If you paint over WD-40 treated steel it would adhere, and will fisheye and orange peel BAD!

Gibbs is what you want it works like WD-40 but can be painted over at a later date will no ill effects.
http://www.getgibbs.com/

#30 ·
What are you guys recommending/using to clear coat tube? What has held up as good as paint?

I've thought about clear coat before, but I think it'd be harder to find places where the clear coat chipped or rubbed off as opposed to paint until it started to rust.

I would like to use a clear coat because I, like the OP, have to deal with the wonderful weather in Kansas.

#31 · (Edited)
This is great, there are lots of options. I think the bare tube really shows off the fabricators skill and in this situation really sets off the rig, not all can pull that off. My last rig in my opinion needed painted tubing. I figured there was a product that can easily either sprayed on and or wiped, I would guess after every wheel and wash. just to be safe.. I like the idea of a spray-on and after drying a clean dry surface.

#32 ·
what do you think the wait time to paint after you wipe the tube down, should i sand also? or should I wipe it down several times.. my reason for asking is I wiped down the TJ and painted 2hrs later and the paint didn't stick for shit.. and I used POR15

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.