Custom Hardtop CJ/YJ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 187509
Custom Hardtop CJ/YJ

Decided to modify an old CJ7 hardtop to fit a stretched YJ. After looking around online I couldn't find much info, or similar projects, so I'm starting a new thread to see if anyone else has tried such a project. Thought someone else might be considering a similar project. Also interested in hearing any advice since this is my first time experimenting with fiberglass.
crawlinMT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 187509

a couple pic of progress so far. used 1/4" plywood so that i could follow the curves. will post more pics and details if there is any interest in the thread.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlinMT View Post

a couple pic of progress so far. used 1/4" plywood so that i could follow the curves. will post more pics and details if there is any interest in the thread.
Fixed your pics.
In TinyPic, copy the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards", and just paste it into your message

..instead of copying the http:// URL for email and embedding it using the "Insert Image" icon here in PBB.

Looks good! I did something similar when I chopped my 4Runner top and put a piece of 3/4" ply in back to hold an aluminum canopy topper window.
Are you using epoxy or polyester resin?
Use cedar strips to fill the upper corners!

Are you in MT?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 187509
thanks for the pic help. i'll try to add another and see what happens.
was planning to remove the top and use some blocks and more plywood on a different axis cut to match the corner radius, then lay in strips to follow the curve. have been pleased with the strength of the glass mat.
i'll check on the resin. all i know for now is that is smells HORRIBLE!!!
i am in belgrade.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
PM dichdoc here on Pirate. He's built a couple of woodstrip canoes and lives near you. You might be able to get some good local tech advice on filling that in and glassing for some

If it's stinky, then it's probably polyester. It doesn't bond well to wood, but bonds well to other glass and to itself. Make sure you have the existing fiberglass roughed-up really, really well. It doesn't look like you roughed up the paint on the outside, so make sure you really rough up the inside.

The good news is that it's the same stuff used in Bondo, so bondo will stick really well once it comes time to fill/sand. Wear a respirator when sanding. Polyester dust is bad; glass fiber dust in your lungs is terrible!!

while the resin is still wet, use a plastic squeegee (I cut the side out of an ice cream bucket) to spread it around. You can get rid of all the drips/high spots that you'd have to sand later. It also helps fill the low spots--like the knotholes in teh plywood.

Neither resin sticks to polyethylene...so put a big sheet of visqueen over your cage/interior to protect it from drips!!

-
Old 04-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
any updated pics?

-
Old 04-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 33026
My CJ9 (CJ7 +18") CJ hard top cut at the hatch seam and added some YJ hart top patch panel pieces.

edit: I used epoxy with glass weave cloth and some kevlar strips for renforcement. On the inside of the seams I used some strips of foam weather strip to give the glass some shape and add rigidity. I simply stuck the foam to the inside of the top and glassed over it. The kevlar was the best thing I did, mucho strong. I was going to put some carbon in it but its a pain int he ass to work with and I dont have an oven to cure it right. The top is rigid enough to stand on or toss a canoe on with no worries.

This was the first idea, adding the back half of the yj top but making a custom lexan window seemed like a pain in the ass.

kept the CJ pieces and grafted yj pieces for filler.

Finished product with a little shop dust.

poser

Last edited by Chrisbuilt; 04-20-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Chrisbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
FOF

Member # 17870
I think it would look better if you increased the length of the window.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 33026
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
I think it would look better if you increased the length of the window.
Probably but nobody sits that far back and keeps some of my stuff hidden. I'm looking for one of the big chrome things you see on the side of a hearse :fawk:
Old 04-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 187509
Looks good. My first thought was to cut the top in the middle of the window and stretch it there but when i looked into lexan it no longer seemed like a good idea. It would look good with a longer window but I wont be using the top all that much anyway, just a few snow runs. The kevlar is a good idea. I want some grab handles on the sides so a couple guys can lift the top easier and the plates on the top will be the mounting surface for a small roof rack. Who knows, might not work well at all but its a fun project. Prob just smash it against a tree and crack it apart!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 187509

was able to fill in the corners with 3/4 wide strips of plywood. was really pretty easy.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 187509

put one layer of glass on the inside for now just to hold the strips together.

the chain hoist sure came in handy.

weather finally nice enough to take it outside.

ended up using a 4" grinder with an 80 grit sanding wheel. worked really well, almost too well. had to be careful not to sand right thru the existing glass. smoothed out the strips and took off the paint along the sides. still using the poly resin and mat. amazing difference in the tops rigidity after this small amount of added glass.

there were some small gaps and imperfection around the slats so I used a buddies idea to mix some saw dust in with the left over resin to make a putty. with gloved hand a squished the putty into the cracks and let it dry. also did a sample piece of resin/plywood. i heard that it could delaminate over time, especially if moisture gets in there, but for now it rips the wood apart when i tore off the resin. crossing fingers!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 164351
i dunno the dimensions but ever think about trying one from an LJ
mwebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 187509
ya, from what i saw the LJ was 10" longer and this jeep is stretched 14". and this top was free so i didnt mind hacking it up.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Looking good.

There was a guy here on PBB that built a complete custom modular fiberglass hardtop. He made molds and had several designs. I can't seem to find the thread...

found it:
jscherb

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=42

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=80

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sa...roject-952157/
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->

Last edited by guidolyons; 04-26-2011 at 02:07 AM.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 187509
thanks for the links. looks as though he has built some nice stuff. might be something he could sell since he has the molds and repeatability.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 187509
got a chance to get out and play for a day. nice weather but was pretty cold. froze my a$$ off most of the day. most of the trail was fairly dry but after we crossed the ridge to the shady side there was lots of snow and mud. was wishing top was complete. took 2+ hrs to spray all the mud off/out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in