Any interest in lomax 205? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
wap
Rock God

Member # 101397
Any interest in lomax 205?

I have been searching for at least 6 months (probably more like a year) for a lomax 205 or waiting on Jb to tool up and make some more kits.

I talked with Jb conversions probably 2 weeks ago and basically was told that they need to make 200 sets of gears at a time to be worth doing and they didnt feel that the interest was there to risk them sitting on the shelf after spending the money it would take to make the gears. I know a lot of guys will say get an atlas and I may have to but I doubt anyone would argue that the lomax 205 is likely the strongest t case ever made (excluding 2+ ton applications).

I know of a few people that would like to have a lomax case but I was curious, is it just a select few that would spend the $ on one of these or is there still a market for it?

I wont need a t case for my current build for a while but I would gladly put a new lomax kit on my credit card and have it sit in my shop waiting the be used than miss out of jb has another run of these.

So, what say you?
wap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
I've already got one but it does kind of worry me that they seem to have kind of gone out of production shortly after I bought. I hope jb saved some stuff just as replacement parts but how long will I be able to get them? I know they're bullet proof but still ...

J. J.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2160
From what I understand many were interested and wanted these -but when it came time to buy they changed there minds . So morale of the story you would have to get money up front or be rich to have 200 sets made up- Jess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Also see us on facebook @ High Angle Driveline
530-877-2875
onetoncv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
wap
Rock God

Member # 101397
I understand what you are saying Jess and I do agree, but I for one would be glad to pre order and I also thought they may could even do something on the 205 like they did for the newest 4.0 gear set for the 300s and give the first 50 pre orders a discount or something of that nature.

I understand its on old t case but I don get how they wouldnt sell like hot cakes when 3.0 is dang near the perfect ratio (if you are only going to have one low range) and like state earlier there are non stronger.

and J. J. I dont know what they have but I do know they guy I talked with mentioned they had some 205 parts and cases. He didnt give me much info but it led me to believe they do have some parts for the lomax cases, but thats just my assumption, nothing he said directly

Last edited by wap; 06-04-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 140551
What would be the ballpark price for this? 1500?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 164056
i wasan't even aware that they were not making them anymore. I was planning on doing the gears or a whole new case (3-1) when my 205 is ready which might be sooner rather than later. I think the gears were like around $1000 and a whole new lomax 20x case and all was around $2000. correct me if I am wrong someone.
time bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 164056
ah yes now I remember. it is the same size as the original case I believe. Thats what makes it nice for me. it bolts in, no drive shaft, floor, shifter changes.and 3-1 seems pretty versitile. Since I have a 400 and a 203 it prob would not cost much to do a doubler. would be nice to find a 205 from a 400 though. thanks for the info trkklr.
time bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 53528
im very interested in a lomax and really hope the market can create enough demand for them to be produced again, id much rather go with a bullet proof 205 over an atlas 4 speed. once i finally get around to spending way too much money on building a buggy it will have a 203-205 lomax in it, new or if i have to used.

2-1
3-1
6-1

and stronger then an atlas, axles are getting incredible strong its just time before we see more and more transfer case failures.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 51580
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
im very interested in a lomax and really hope the market can create enough demand for them to be produced again, id much rather go with a bullet proof 205 over an atlas 4 speed. once i finally get around to spending way too much money on building a buggy it will have a 203-205 lomax in it, new or if i have to used.

2-1
3-1
6-1

and stronger then an atlas, axles are getting incredible strong its just time before we see more and more transfer case failures.
BIG and HEAVY. If you wheel HARD, have fun breaking tailhousings with a 203/Lomax 205 doubler. Even with various mouting methods, it's got alot of leverage on the tranny. I was going to build a 203/Lomax 205, but after figuring the cost, along with size/packaging/driveshaft lengths and weight, I went with a 4-speed. It's actually shorter than a stock NP231 and weighs 135 lbs. I have 1:1, 2:1, 2.72:1, 5.44:1, so not far from what you'd have with a 203/Lomax 205. Not to mention, you're gonna have a passenger drop t-case, which means low-pinion axle, or custom. And unless it's a 14 bolt front, or custom axle, you're gonna break D60 gear sets, so forget about how strong axles are. Alot more factors than you're putting out there. Have you seen an Atlas vs. a 205 after they are apart? You make it sound like it's night and day, and it's not. A 4-speed Atlas without a stupid compound low has a 2:1 main case, and you can't get any stronger than that. I'm not doubting that a 205 isn't strong, but a 4-speed Atlas isn't exactly weak either
MILLER RACING #26

3-time Dirt Riot Modified/Unlimited Trail Class National Champion

ADS SHOCKS * ARTEC INDUSTRIES * SOUTHWEST FASTENER * HOWE PERFORMANCE * RUGGED RADIOS * JM RIGGING SUPPLY * SDHQ * BLACK N BLUE RACING * RIGID INDUSTRIES * RACELINE WHEELS * FLY-N-HI * CAMPBELL ENTERPRISES

Last edited by theydontstop; 06-04-2011 at 11:19 PM.
theydontstop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 51580
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77 View Post
they are strong, and have had a lot more failures than 205s ever had.
And are used in a totally different abusive environment, with deeper than a 2:1 low range. The bigger discrepency in ratios, the weaker the gears, that's how it is. I have both cases, and they both have their place.
MILLER RACING #26

ADS SHOCKS * ARTEC INDUSTRIES * SOUTHWEST FASTENER * HOWE PERFORMANCE * RUGGED RADIOS * JM RIGGING SUPPLY * SDHQ * BLACK N BLUE RACING * RIGID INDUSTRIES * RACELINE WHEELS * FLY-N-HI * CAMPBELL ENTERPRISES
Old 06-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by theydontstop View Post
BIG and HEAVY. If you wheel HARD, have fun breaking tailhousings with a 203/Lomax 205 doubler. Even with various mouting methods, it's got alot of leverage on the tranny. I was going to build a 203/Lomax 205, but after figuring the cost, along with size/packaging/driveshaft lengths and weight, I went with a 4-speed. It's actually shorter than a stock NP231 and weighs 135 lbs. I have 1:1, 2:1, 2.72:1, 5.44:1, so not far from what you'd have with a 203/Lomax 205. Not to mention, you're gonna have a passenger drop t-case, which means low-pinion axle, or custom. And unless it's a 14 bolt front, or custom axle, you're gonna break D60 gear sets, so forget about how strong axles are. Alot more factors than you're putting out there. Have you seen an Atlas vs. a 205 after they are apart? You make it sound like it's night and day, and it's not. A 4-speed Atlas without a stupid compound low has a 2:1 main case, and you can't get any stronger than that. I'm not doubting that a 205 isn't strong, but a 4-speed Atlas isn't exactly weak either
700hp 42"s 14bolt front 40 spline and driving like a complete fawkin retard i will figure out how to mount a 203-205 doubler and yes ive seen the internal comparison of an atlas and a 205, ive also seen AA suggest big hp and tires go with a 205 over their atlas.

im not knocking the atlas, i just know which is stronger. atlas has its place and is a great product, i personally wish AA would take over the lomax and produce it along side their atlas. although they are not much better with availability
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by theydontstop View Post
And are used in a totally different abusive environment, with deeper than a 2:1 low range. The bigger discrepency in ratios, the weaker the gears, that's how it is. I have both cases, and they both have their place.
you have a 205 or you have a lomax 205? if its a lomax is it for sale?
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 51580
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
700hp 42"s 14bolt front 40 spline and driving like a complete fawkin retard i will figure out how to mount a 203-205 doubler and yes ive seen the internal comparison of an atlas and a 205, ive also seen AA suggest big hp and tires go with a 205 over their atlas.

im not knocking the atlas, i just know which is stronger. atlas has its place and is a great product, i personally wish AA would take over the lomax and produce it along side their atlas. although they are not much better with availability
Get Some then. They both have their place, that fits in that catagory.
MILLER RACING #26

Old 06-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 40131
I'll be testing mine soon unless someone wants to buy it for a lot of mula

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 17744
I was going to buy one from them. I called a few days before ordering to get a quote and some info on it. 2 Days went buy I called back to order and they went up $200 overnight and they would not honor the quote from 2 days earlier. Deceided to go with a atlas and I am very happy

megolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
I got tired of waiting & went with a 241/205 for less money.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 70578
How much is the lack of demand for the Low Max is due to the weak economy? I know a lot of people went to atlas or the scat because of packaging and cost, but there should be some demand for the low max. Scat has their problems.

Count me in for a Low Max.
JDNobodi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 1234
Nothing like buying a product from someone who won't be there to back it up tomorrow... buy an Atlas or do a doubler. Don't be dumb
Old 06-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 99527
kinda off track but i would like to see different gears made for the 203 again
popeye123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 33536
Maybe a call to JB with a firm price if 200 units were made in a block and then what the price would be with lower volume production. A 200 unit run seems very unlikely and a small price increase maybe more economical in the long run as production relates to sales volume and product demand/interest.

If those pictures are accurate, LoMax gears with a new case and equally large/strong internals (shafts, bearings, etc), a JB205 is head and shoulders above an Atlas in strength.

Not bashing on AA, as I think they make a great product and we have all seen the abuse they take, but a few have been broken too.

With the recent interest in KOH type races, beefier aftermarket axles (Jantz 76, steering 14 bolts, blingy rocks, etc) in southern buggies, heavier/larger rigs, crazy high HP rigs, larger and larger tires, etc., an Atlas/Stak/Klune/etc type transfer case may no longer be strong enough for these applications.

What is the weight/size comparison between a two speed Atlas and JB205 in 3:1?

EDIT: two speed Atlas is said to be about 110 pounds with LoMax 3:1 coming in at almost 140 pounds. Not sure if those are dry or wet, just numbers found online. I would give up 30 pounds for a more bulletproof case if the application dictated it or for peace of mind.

Last edited by 85blue4runner; 06-05-2011 at 01:26 PM.
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
wap
Rock God

Member # 101397
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85blue4runner View Post
Maybe a call to JB with a firm price if 200 units were made in a block and then what the price would be with lower volume production. A 200 unit run seems very unlikely and a small price increase maybe more economical in the long run as production relates to sales volume and product demand/interest.

If those pictures are accurate, LoMax gears with a new case and equally large/strong internals (shafts, bearings, etc), a JB205 is head and shoulders above an Atlas in strength.

Not bashing on AA, as I think they make a great product and we have all seen the abuse they take, but a few have been broken too.

With the recent interest in KOH type races, beefier aftermarket axles (Jantz 76, steering 14 bolts, blingy rocks, etc) in southern buggies, heavier/larger rigs, crazy high HP rigs, larger and larger tires, etc., an Atlas/Stak/Klune/etc type transfer case may no longer be strong enough for these applications.

What is the weight/size comparison between a two speed Atlas and JB205 in 3:1?

EDIT: two speed Atlas is said to be about 110 pounds with LoMax 3:1 coming in at almost 140 pounds. Not sure if those are dry or wet, just numbers found online. I would give up 30 pounds for a more bulletproof case if the application dictated it or for peace of mind.
I agree, I wonder what number of sets of gears/cases could be produced "economically".

IIRC the complete lomax 205 was around or less than 2k. Price a built to the hilt atlas 3:1 and see what that runs you. I wouldnt mind doing a doubler but I would much rather split the difference and run a 3:1 plus I'm still not sure if I could fit one in my jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in