Gingrich wins South Carolina primary, Fox News projects - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 466
Send a message via ICQ to Curtis
Gingrich wins South Carolina primary, Fox News projects

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...olina-primary/

Published January 21, 2012 | FoxNews.com

Newt Gingrich has won the South Carolina Republican primary, Fox News projects, further scrambling an already volatile primary race that has produced three different winners in three states.

Fox News projects that Mitt Romney will place second in the Palmetto State. Rick Santorum and Ron Paul are battling for third place, and that contest remains too close to call, though Fox News exit polls show Santorum with a slight lead over the Texas congressman.

Romney's aides had been downplaying expectations by late Saturday, acknowledging the momentum that had been going Gingrich's way in recent days.

Exit polling confirmed his advantage among several groups of voters.

Those who made up their minds late broke for Gingrich, while those who had decided early mostly backed Romney. Late deciders outnumbered early deciders 53-46 percent.

Gingrich also had the advantage among voters who viewed the debates as important. And Gingrich was leading among those who say it's important that a candidate shares their religious beliefs. Romney, a Mormon, led among those who care less about a candidate's religious affiliation.

South Carolina has a reputation as a tie-breaker in the Republican primaries, often setting the winner on a relatively smooth course to the nomination. But Saturday's contest only complicate things. With Gingrich's victory there have been three distinct winners in the first three contests.

Primary day Saturday was marked by tough rhetoric on both sides, previewing the race ahead.

In the morning, Gingrich mocked Romney after the former Massachusetts governor came and went at a campaign stop where both candidates were expected to meet.

"Where's Mitt?" Gingrich said mockingly, as he arrived at a Greenville diner just minutes after Romney's bus rolled out.

In a coincidence of scheduling, both Romney and Gingrich had booked events at Tommy's Ham House shortly before 11 a.m. The campaigns only realized the issue a day earlier, though insisted they would not change their schedules. However, Romney showed up 45 minutes early. When Gingrich arrived, he ribbed his rival.

"I thought he was going to stay and maybe we'd have a little debate here this morning," Gingrich said.

Gingrich sounded increasingly confident about his chances in the South Carolina contest as he cast himself as the "genuine conservative" to go up against President Obama.

Not to be outdone, Romney's campaign later put out a statement celebrating the "15th anniversary" of the House decision to reprimand Gingrich for ethics violations, during his days as speaker.

Romney suggested Saturday morning in Greenville that he's girding for a drawn-out election, while sounding optimistic about his odds in the long run.

"We're going to work tirelessly to make sure we win this thing, not just (in South Carolina). We'd like to win here, of course, but we have a long way to go," he said.

On the final day, Gingrich and Romney sparred over each other's call to release detailed personal records.

Gingrich on Saturday rejected calls by Romney for him to release extensive information about the ethics investigation while he was House speaker. Gingrich dismissed the demand as a ploy to "divert" from the fact Romney has not committed to releasing his tax returns before April.

Romney's fortunes have taken a sharp turn over the past week. He initially headed into South Carolina with a win in Iowa and New Hampshire under his belt.

Then the Iowa GOP announced that Santorum, and not Romney, had actually won the Iowa caucuses -- party officials declared Santorum the winner late Friday night after giving a qualified announcement earlier in the week. Rick Perry also dropped out on Thursday, endorsing Gingrich.

And while Gingrich has deflected questions about claims made by his second wife, Romney has struggled to explain why he won't release his tax returns in the near future.

Santorum, on Fox News, disputed Gingrich's description of himself as a "Reagan conservative."

He criticized Gingrich for his past support of an individual mandate -- the requirement to buy health insurance that is at the heart of the federal health care overhaul -- and of the financial industry bailout. Santorum argued that neither Romney nor Gingrich is what the GOP needs in a nominee.

"Mitt Romney is a moderate, someone who is timid in his tax plan, timid in his approach to cleaning up Washington and reducing the budget deficit," he said. "And Newt Gingrich is, you know, unpredictable."

"We don't need either of those things," Santorum said. He added, in reference to his trademark attire, "We need ... the guy with the sweater vest that everybody trusts."
Old 01-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Fucking idiots in SC.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...olina-primary/

I stopped reading here.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
USA today also reporting douche bag has won.

& Blaine

Old 01-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Fucking idiots in SC.
You were rooting for ROMNEY?
That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 466
Quote:
Everyone is projecting he's won.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 64230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
I would rather have Romney than Gingrich any day. Gingrich has a history of proven corruption that should exclude him from holding any public office. That and the man has ZERO morals.
Evilwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 80854
Paul is projected 4th. I hate them all but Romney is too much of a pussy to stand up to Obama. Sadly, Gingrich might be the winning hand......
Old 01-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 34281
Send a message via Yahoo to keller
Wow. with a whole 1% reporting...

My buggy build

[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

[/CENTER]
keller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
No Paul out of the garbage that's left. Gingrich is my least favorite candidate as I have said from his running announcement.

& Blaine

Old 01-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilwhitey View Post
I would rather have Romney than Gingrich any day. Gingrich has a history of proven corruption that should exclude him from holding any public office. That and the man has ZERO morals.
Yep. Talk about the Republicans handing this back to Obama.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwhitey View Post
i would rather have romney than gingrich any day. Gingrich has a history of proven corruption that should exclude him from holding any public office. That and the man has zero morals.
x2

& Blaine

Old 01-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 44662
I'd much rather him that that worthless fuck Romney.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
I dunno, I think the Grinch will do well against Obama. As a Democrat, the Grinch looks more like Reagan than Romney ever will. Believe it or not, we could live with him. Romney, not so much.
That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
I dunno, I think the Grinch will do well against Obama. As a Democrat, the Grinch looks more like Reagan than Romney ever will. Believe it or not, we could live with him. Romney, not so much.
I think Gingrich is very smart. I also think he is the most dishonest candidate in my lifetime. Romney is dumb, but not pure evil.

I would vote Obama before Gingrich.

& Blaine

Old 01-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 44662
Quote:
I think Gingrich is very smart. I also think he is the most dishonest candidate in my lifetime. Romney is dumb, but not pure evil.

I disagree. Gingrich has fucked up and everyone knows about it. Romney is the kind of guy with a truck load of skeletons in his walk-in closet.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 202428
Quote:

I wouldn't go that far but I would note vote before I voted Gingrich.

"Gingrich has a history of proven corruption that should exclude him from holding any public office. That and the man has zero morals" is dead on.
Jeep CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 64230
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER View Post
I disagree. Gingrich has fucked up and everyone knows about it. Romney is the kind of guy with a truck load of skeletons in his walk-in closet.
Until skeletons start emerging that's pure speculation. I don't doubt that Romney has some questionable things in his past that will come to light but I doubt a "truck load" is accurate. Gingrich very well may have a truck load MORE skeletons in his closet that we don't even know about, he's a slimy douche, no thanks.
Evilwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Horsepower Junkie

Member # 173427
Quote:

That's a bit crazy. I'm not a big fan of any of the candidates but would take any one of them over Obama. He's guaranteed to bankrupt us.

The Making of a Turd:
huff75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 34606
Send a message via Yahoo to cj5 buggy
Quote:
Fucking idiots in SC.
i've been called worse.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 174853
Honesty? Really? From a fucking politician? What about nobama's visible, non partisan politics he promised? I'll vote anybody but that fucking clown. If he gets back in, we are due for a turn further south. Fuck me.

'11 F350 stock.

vos eat caro
git_sum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
3 primaries... 3 winners...

Wonder if the GOP "leadership" will be smart enough to read the tea leaves.
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 57161
Quote:
Quote:
Everyone is projecting he's won.
this. I weep for our country
" Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes....But when a long train of abuses and usurpations.... it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
cannoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Quote:
No Paul out of the garbage that's left. Gingrich is my least favorite candidate as I have said from his running announcement.
Quote:
Yep. Talk about the Republicans handing this back to Obama.
Quote:

Gingrich reminds me a whole lot of Bill Clinton, pretty damn smart, but without a single ounce of morals.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 44662
Quote:
Until skeletons start emerging that's pure speculation. I don't doubt that Romney has some questionable things in his past that will come to light but I doubt a "truck load" is accurate. Gingrich very well may have a truck load MORE skeletons in his closet that we don't even know about, he's a slimy douche, no thanks.
Newt has had his woes aired for over a decade. We have far bigger problems in this country than where he put his dick.

FFS, the current assbag in charge admitted to cocaine use and hanging out with Marxists and no one seems to care.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in