High park fire colorado - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 172626
High park fire colorado

post up stuff on high park fire.
dobbers84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 172626
KUSA - With temperatures rolling up to a forecast 84 degrees on Tuesday, firefighting personnel are worried the 43,433-acre High Park Fire will spread quickly.

On Monday, authorities confirmed 62-year-old Linda Steadman died from the blaze. Search crews found Steadman's remains at her house on Old Flowers Road.

Authorities say Steadman received two notification calls. A deputy went to her residence to warn her personally, but he was pushed back by flames.

The High Park Fire is now at 43,433 acres with zero percent containment. Larimer County says 500 to 600 personnel are fighting the blaze. On Monday afternoon, officials said at least 100 homes have been damaged or destroyed by the fire in the Rist Canyon area.

Larimer County spokesperson Nick Christensen says crews made good progress on the fire Monday.

Christensen says they are taking measures in case the fire moves north into the Glacier View area, where there are several homes just off Red Feather Lakes Road. However, he stressed no evacuation orders have been issued yet.

The state of Colorado activated its emergency management center in Centennial Monday morning to help send needed crews and equipment.

Emergency managers called officials in Wyoming and Nebraska asking to get neighboring states to send military helicopters with fire buckets to help.

The Colorado National Guard already has helicopters working on the High Park Fire.

Managers try to send as much support as possible without leaving other areas vulnerable in case of a new fire.

"Part of that process of deciding what goes where is also making sure that we have appropriate levels of staffing to cover the other areas of Colorado," Micki Trost with the Colorado Division of Emergency Management said. "We won't completely deplete a portion of our state in order to support another."

View map of fire perimeter here

As of Monday, 2,600 evacuation order notifications were issued for the area near the fire.

The following evacuation orders were sent out as of Monday:

* South of CR38E to Gindler Ranch Road west to Milner Ranch Road
* North of County Road 38E, from Horsetooth Reservoir to Redstone Canyon to Lory State park
* Bonner Peaks subdivision
* County Road 44H (Buckhorn Road) from County Road 27 to Pennock Pass and residents to the south approximately 3/4-1 mile, you will need to exit the area by going east on County Road 44H/Buckhorn Road
* CR27E to Bellvue
* Areas south and west of Bellvue to include the Lory State Park area, the Redstone Canyon area and Buckhorn Road up to the Stove Prairie School
* Poudre Canyon from MM111 to MM118 on Highway 14. This means Poudre Canyon from Stove Prairie to MM118 is under mandatory evacuations
* The area between CR27E and Stove Prairie Road and south through the entire Rist Canyon area including Davis Ranch Road, Whale Rock Road. South on CR44H 3 miles to just north of Stringtown Gulch Road
* Paradise Park Road, Moose Horn Lane, Magic Lane and Spencer Mountain Road
* Old Flowers Road from Stove Prairie Road to the 8000 block of Old Flowers Road
* Stove Prairie Road north along County Road 27 to Highway 14, east along Highway 14 to approximately mile marker 111, southeast to Rist Canyon Fire Station 1, then back west to include Wilderness Ridge Way, Rist Creek Road, Spring Valley Road and County Road 41 and all of the roads that run off of it

According to Larimer County, many residents are refusing to evacuate. The county is keeping a record of who refused for public records.

The shelter set up at Cache La Poudre Middle School closed Sunday night due to smoke. The shelter has moved to The Ranch, along Interstate-25/Crossroads Boulevard, between Loveland and Fort Collins.

Large animals and livestock can be taken to The Ranch also. Small domestic animals can be taken to the Larimer County Humane Society. If you want to help the evacuated animals, you can donate to the Larimer Humane Society online, www.larimerhumane.org.

Nine wolves were evacuated to the Wolf Sanctuary in Larimer County. Each wolf is with its packmate, so they are in groups of two or three. Volunteers are with the wolves 24 hours a day. If you would like to help, offers can be made on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wolf.sanctuary. They need lots of items such as dog food, bowls, kennels, blankets and various other things listed on their Facebook page.

"The community is here for you and the community really does care. So, thank you for those who care," Patricia Billinger, with the American Red Cross, said Monday.

One firefighter was taken non-emergent by ambulance out of the area for heat exhaustion on Sunday. There have been no other injuries reported at this time.

At least 100 home were lost or damaged due to the fire with more threatened. Monday morning, Larimer County confirmed the structures were mostly lost in the following areas:

* Rist Canyon
* Stove Prairie to Old Flowers Road
* Paradise Park
* Poudre Canyon and Park

There are many unburned areas within the perimeter of the fire, so residents should not assume their homes are damaged or destroyed. An assessment and recovery team will be working to identify specific addresses of damaged or destroyed properties.

"It's pretty tough, people have lost their homes and everything they owned," Hickenlooper said Sunday. "Their world is very different than it was a day ago."

Road closures include:

* Highway 14 from Ted's Place to Stove Prairie Road
* Highway 14 east of CR69
* CR23 & Lodge Pole/Lory State Park
* CR25E & CR54E
* CR27 (Stove Prairie Road) south from Highway 14
* CR27 (Stove Prairie Road) one mile south of CR44H (Buckhorn Road)
* CR27 & CR38E
* CR27 north of CR44H
* CR38E and CR25E
* CR44H (Buckhorn Road) west of CR27
* CR52E (Rist Canyon Road) west of CR27E
* CR52E (Rist Canyon Road) CR25E Bellvue
* CR69 & Highway 14

The High Park Fire was first spotted at around 6 a.m. Saturday. Crews had to hike through difficult terrain to first reach the area.

Lightning cause the High Park Fire.

The Governor also spoke about the dry conditions in Colorado. He said there's a possibility of larger fire bans and restrictions for the Fourth of July holiday.

See if your county is under a fire ban

Resources:

* Larimer County High Park Fire information line: 970-498-5500 or here: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/2904/
* Follow Twitter hashtag #HighParkFire
* Follow @LarimerSheriff or @LarimerCounty on Twitter
* Find out if your loved ones are safe here: https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php

High Park Fire interactive timeline:

(KUSA-TV © 2012 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)
Comments (0) | Share your thoughts »
TOP VIDEO PICKS
10:33
10:33
High Park Fire now more than 36,000 acresJun 11, 2012
22:11
22:11
1 confirmed dead in High Park FireJun 11, 2012
02:57
02:57
Family says they reported fire hours before crews…Jun 11, 2012
selected by Taboola
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN

Black bear euthanized after eating Canada murderer (KUSA-TV )
Mom says kid unbuckled self, buckled in gas can during traffic stop (KUSA-TV )
High Park Fire threatens communication towers (KUSA-TV )
Family says they reported fire 5 hours before crews arrived (KUSA-TV )
Colorado wildfire: High Park Fire near Fort Collins now 36,930 acres, 400 personnel fighting, more than 100 homes damaged/destroyed, 1 dead (KUSA-TV )

SPONSORED LINKS

Awesome or Atrocious? 4 Bizarre Car Accessories that Used to Be Cool (Allstate)
Danica can't save NASCAR (espnW)
8 Celebs Who Are Aging Badly (Michelle Williams, Lindsay, The Jenner Sisters & More!) (Styleblazer)
Heart Attack: How Your Body Warns You Days Before (Newsmax.com)
Father Kills Bear to Save Son (Reader's Digest)

[?]
Most Viewed Articles

Couple lives close to where fire started. 9NEWS at 9 p.m. 06/11/12.
Day three: Colorado wildfire: High Park Fire near Fort Collins now 36,930 acres, 400 personnel fighting, more than 100 homes damaged/destroyed, 1 dead
Family says they reported fire hours before crews arrived. 9NEWS at 10 p.m. 06/11/12.
Family reported fire, watched it smolder for hours
Live Video Channel 18287. 9NEWS.com
Day Two: High Park Fire near Fort Collins now 20,000 acres
Communication towers in fires path. 9NEWS at 4 p.m., 6/11/12.
High Park Fire threatens communication towers
Neighbors say High Park Fire victim loved her mountain home. 9NEWS at 10 p.m.
Neighbors say High Park Fire victim loved her mountain home
* SEE MORE

Most Watched Videos

Family says they reported fire hours before crews arrived
Family says they reported fire hours before crews arrived
Couple lives close to where fire started
Couple lives close to where fire started
Maps and experts
Maps and experts
Man loses home, hopes other homes can be saved
Man loses home, hopes other homes can be saved
Monday night forecast
Monday night forecast
* SEE MORE
Old 06-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
good luck

fire season down here is kicking our ass.

we have almost 350k acres burning right now. between two fires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 99581
My mom and her boyfriend run a fire support service (shower truck and sink trailer) and they got dispatched to this fire on Sunday. She said the fire camp is pretty big and getting bigger quick. As of this morning its at 43,000 acres.
Halfass'dfabricator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 23795
Send a message via AIM to freerider15
Yeah the flames have come over the front of the foothills towards town...you could easily see flames on the Fort Collin's side of the foothills last night.

Scary thing is...it hasn't even gotten to the Beetle Kill Pine area yet. They've said if it hits that, there's no telling how large it would get. At that point they would just have to let it burn itself out. Thankfully though the Beetle Kill Pine is more west away from people and homes so if it does catch, it won't be as devastating home/property-wise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
freerider15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8448
It hadn't occured to me until driving into Longmont this morning, how many homes are going to be a total loss.
They keep updating the number of structures that have burned down, but the smoke damage is going to extend to hundreds that didn't.
I'm 30 miles away, the visibility is poor and it burns your eyes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
criscfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 153389
Im supposed to go to windsor in a few weeks for work.... hope it doesnt make it that far.
chevyandtoyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 17378
A buddy of mine is moving from CT to Ft. Collins next week.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 109423
any more pics? Ca hasn't started burning too bad yet this year...
Go back to riding your Fag Dog Brokeback or whatever the fuck its called.
1990GT50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyandtoyota View Post
Im supposed to go to windsor in a few weeks for work.... hope it doesnt make it that far.
Ummm... yeah... I don't think it's making it to Windsor.

You're far more likely to be blown away by a tornado.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 67681
I flew back into Denver yesterday afternoon. I couldn't see the mountains to the north, but my overall thought was "wtf is the big deal?".

This morning the smell of smoke is strong, and smoke was sitting in the fields on the way to work. My eyes are a little irritated but not bad. Below is a good link to follow the spread/containment.

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/2904/

rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 172626
Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 28563
Send a message via AIM to YJgirl Send a message via Yahoo to YJgirl
From the sounds of it two of the houses lost thus far in the fire are fellow wheelers. Over 100 sturctures burned thus far , Gov declared state of emergency so more air support can come in from feds. Now fire is buring west into the heavy pine beetle kill area.

Also looks like from the burn area maps that the following trails are in the burn area: Sevenmile Creek, Old Flowers Road, Moody Hill, Crystal Mountain and Storm Mountain.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 221020
I was actually running old flowers road Saturday not too long after the fire started. We've got some good pics of when it was small then as it turned really big as we were about halfway through the trail. Got a neat video of a sky crane dropping right down in front of us and filled up with water from a tiny pond. I'll post my photobucket link in the morning if you guys are interested?

http://s1097.photobucket.com/albums/...20Park%20Fire/

Last edited by STRRAYNGE; 06-15-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added link
STRRAYNGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 126963
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJgirl View Post
From the sounds of it two of the houses lost thus far in the fire are fellow wheelers. Over 100 sturctures burned thus far , Gov declared state of emergency so more air support can come in from feds. Now fire is buring west into the heavy pine beetle kill area.

Also looks like from the burn area maps that the following trails are in the burn area: Sevenmile Creek, Old Flowers Road, Moody Hill, Crystal Mountain and Storm Mountain.
Make that 3. My buddy's cabin is confirmed gone.

He is part of Rock Addicts Racing team. Raced at KOH '11 and '12
HHHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 67681
The Bellvue Church of Christ at 5220 W Cty Rd 52E has received a semi truck load full of donations from Tennessee. This afternoon they will be sorting the goods and reboxing them for distribution if any locals want to drop by to help out.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 24591
I live in Texas but sweat fire season in CO every year. My family has a cabin less than 25 miles from this fire. I hate that people are loosing their homes/cabins!!

Looking through a online gallery of pics from the fire I noticed a few of a tent city and realize its the short term housing for the firefighters. Those guys and gals don't get paid enough!!! Working those hours in that enviroment knowing that a foam mat tossed on the ground would be your home till the end would be tough mentally let alone physically.

My heart breaks for those that have lost their property. And those on the fire lines are my heros!!!

Lets all pray for rain in CO!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 67681
The lady that was killed was the mother of a friend of my dad's. His friend was up with his mom getting things from the house. She was a recluse and wouldn't leave the house until the last minute. He was in the barn setting the animals free and was overtaken by smoke. He awoke and the house was engulfed in flames. It was all that he could do to get away. He was very lucky to have survived.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in