Obama signs law giving himself, Bush lifetime Secret Service guard - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
BEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Member # 1746
Location: Reno NV
Posts: 5,949
Obama signs law giving himself, Bush lifetime Secret Service guard

What a piece of work this guy is.....

Obama signs law giving himself, Bush lifetime Secret Service guard | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Former presidents have to give up rides on Air Force One. But now they don't have to give up being shadowed by the armed-and-earpieced bodyguards of the Secret Service.
President Barack Obama on Thursday signed into a law a measure giving him, George W. Bush and future former presidents and their spouses lifetime Secret Service protection, the White House announced.
The legislation, crafted by Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, rolls back a mid-1990s law that imposed a 10-year limit on Secret Service protection for former presidents. Bush would have been the first former commander in chief affected.
At the time, lawmakers who supported the measure said it would save the government millions of dollars. They also argued that former presidents could hire private security firms (as Richard Nixon did after he decided to forgo Secret Service protection in 1985).
The bill had sailed through Congress with bipartisan support—it cleared the House of Representatives by voice vote in early December, and then it zipped through the Senate unopposed. The law also provides protection for former presidents’ kids until age 16. But “protection of a spouse shall terminate in the event of remarriage.”
The Secret Service started protecting presidents in 1901 after the assassination of William McKinley. In 1965, Congress passed a law authorizing the agency, which is now a part of the Department of Homeland Security, to protect former presidents for life.
__________________
Still Politically Uncorrect
BEAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7
 
Beat95YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Member # 22176
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 40,677
Huh. I thought they had SS for life.
__________________
I can break a steel ball in a rubber room!

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine


:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2001
Member # 4663
Location: Indiansprings, AL
Posts: 4,715
let them eat cake
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
PAToyota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member # 37600
Location: South Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 14,578
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Quote:
Former presidents have to give up rides on Air Force One. But now they don't have to give up being shadowed by the armed-and-earpieced bodyguards of the Secret Service.
President Barack Obama on Thursday signed into a law a measure giving him, George W. Bush and future former presidents and their spouses lifetime Secret Service protection, the White House announced.
The legislation, crafted by Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, rolls back a mid-1990s law that imposed a 10-year limit on Secret Service protection for former presidents. Bush would have been the first former commander in chief affected.
At the time, lawmakers who supported the measure said it would save the government millions of dollars. They also argued that former presidents could hire private security firms (as Richard Nixon did after he decided to forgo Secret Service protection in 1985).
The bill had sailed through Congress with bipartisan support—it cleared the House of Representatives by voice vote in early December, and then it zipped through the Senate unopposed. The law also provides protection for former presidents’ kids until age 16. But “protection of a spouse shall terminate in the event of remarriage.”
The Secret Service started protecting presidents in 1901 after the assassination of William McKinley. In 1965, Congress passed a law authorizing the agency, which is now a part of the Department of Homeland Security, to protect former presidents for life.
.
__________________
’94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 Yukon SLE / ’93 Chevy 6.5TD K2500
’85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Member # 67681
Location: MS
Posts: 28,148
They're going to need it.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2001
Member # 4878
Location: Bremerton, WA
Posts: 60,207
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
We are in debt how much.... and he just keeps spending more....



Heh... didn't know the SS got rolled under DHS.



Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Member # 6421
Location: Folsom
Posts: 4,919
Why doesn't he just call the police if he needs help? Why would he need armed guards following him around?

Last edited by Al Kaholick; 01-10-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Al Kaholick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Member # 7762
Posts: 5,609
Both parties supported it?
Dan_E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
necronomikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Member # 26695
Location: Augusta, Ga
Posts: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
They're going to need it.
That's what I'm guessing his thought process was. "Hmm, 'if' I managed to not be supreme ruler at the end of this term, people are gonna hate me, I better get me some body guards. Oh wait! I already have some, and they are FREE! and now they are free for life"
necronomikon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Member # 99568
Location: LIBERTAD
Posts: 1,160
If I went around fucking everyone over I'd want a lifetime bodyguard too.
eastex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Bug Nerd
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member # 42484
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 7,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastex View Post
If I went around fucking everyone over I'd want a lifetime bodyguard too.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yotasmob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Member # 183149
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_E View Post
Both parties supported it?
Maybe they're just ONE big ass party. Invest in some tinfoil
CrackerMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Member # 23507
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 2,515
I don't fault Obama for this. It was ran through both sides of Congress, and proposed by a R'

I fault all of them for not seeing the fact that it's a waste of money. It may sound mean, but what does assassinating a former president really get someone I say 10 years is more then enough...then, for the most part those presidents are forgotten anyway.
__________________
'96 Isuzu Rodeo, SAS, linked, coil overs, ARB's, 37's
pike2350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hophead
 
Joe_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Member # 4829
Location: Leander, Tx
Posts: 77,519
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Huh. I thought they had SS for life.
used to, they changed it in 90s
__________________
Sure, there are 49 other states in the Union, but they are smaller, wussier, and the people talk funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member # 29527
Location: WA
Posts: 38,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
What a piece of work this guy is.....
In what way? It says right there:

1) Former presidents enjoyed lifetime SS protection between 1965 and "the mid 90's".
2) The bill was heavily supported in both the house and senate, by both parties.

It isn't as if Obama made the shit up, or is the first president to enjoy it.
__________________
The original Fuckwad Penis.

Last edited by CrustyJeep; 01-10-2013 at 02:36 PM.
CrustyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87698
Location: nor cal
Posts: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastex View Post
If I went around fucking everyone over I'd want a lifetime bodyguard too.
this,

Could this mean that he's going to let us keep our guns?....

NO....silly me...what was I thinking.
__________________
----
80 cjunk7, with stuff--SOLD
new build... 90 yjunk, longer, wider, more stuff,

fasten your seat belt, it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your rig
----

NRA LIFE MEMBER

----
beefdawg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
Grumpy356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member # 151139
Location: Brazoria County Texas
Posts: 8,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by pike2350 View Post
I don't fault Obama for this. It was ran through both sides of Congress, and proposed by a R'

I fault all of them for not seeing the fact that it's a waste of money. It may sound mean, but what does assassinating a former president really get someone I say 10 years is more then enough...then, for the most part those presidents are forgotten anyway.
I think they do need lifetime protection, but after 10 years they have milked their former position for enough money,they can afford to pay their own way and it shouldn't be paid for by me.
__________________
Mass quantities of anxiety, internal conflict and discontent, all balled up in one short, tattooed body.
Grumpy356 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member # 40793
Location: Tri Shitties, WA
Posts: 26,790
Send a message via AIM to Nightshade Send a message via MSN to Nightshade Send a message via Yahoo to Nightshade
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
They're going to need it.
Absolutely
__________________
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2001
Member # 4878
Location: Bremerton, WA
Posts: 60,207
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
They're going to need it.
They didn't need it in the 90's when it was decided, bipartisan to limit the service to 10 years.

Obama is going to need it because on year 11, 00 days, and 05 minutes, every person he's fawked over is going to have nothing standing between him and them.

IMO - that is an EARNED fate.



Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
White Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member # 39791
Location: On a Surfboard, Red Triangle, NorCal
Posts: 4,168
Clinton changed this in the 1990's so that protection was only offered for 10 years after leaving the Presidency. Of course it was for all FUTURE Presidents, excluding himself of course. I was wondering how long it would take for Barack Hussein Sotero to over turn the law. Not a surprise.



__
__________________
./ ./,====="---> <"))))>< .·`·.><(((º>..· ><(((º>
/_/
White Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Member # 6957
Posts: 54,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by pike2350 View Post
I don't fault Obama for this. It was ran through both sides of Congress, and proposed by a R'

I fault all of them for not seeing the fact that it's a waste of money. It may sound mean, but what does assassinating a former president really get someone I say 10 years is more then enough...then, for the most part those presidents are forgotten anyway.

By that logic do their wifes, kids need it while they are in/out of office?

When Michelle comes to town so does a whole group of SS.


And prior POTUS got security for life.



ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
Non-Lemming
 
SanDiegoCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Member # 840
Location: Ramona, SoCal
Posts: 78,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyJeep View Post
In what way? It says right there:

1) Former presidents enjoyed lifetime SS protection between 1965 and "the mid 90's".
2) The bill was heavily supported in both the house and senate, by both parties.

It isn't as if Obama made the shit up, or is the first president to enjoy it.
Hey, don't let a little thing like facts get in the way of an opportunity to bash Obama.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Member # 198851
Location: In a state of insanity
Posts: 5,213
Obama should buy an AK47 like everyone else.............
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2001
Member # 4878
Location: Bremerton, WA
Posts: 60,207
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
Hey, don't let a little thing like facts get in the way of an opportunity to bash Obama.
I'll pin it on him, just as I pinned illegal land grabs and the Patriot act on Bush, just as I pinned other bullshit on Clinton.

He's almost the final pen - he could have said fawk no. If the congress and house really wanted it they can override that.




Last edited by Travis Waldher; 01-10-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
Hophead
 
Joe_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Member # 4829
Location: Leander, Tx
Posts: 77,519
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
I'll pin it on him, just as I pinned illegal land grabs and the Patriot act on Bush, just as I pinned other bullshit on Clinton.

He's almost the final pen - he could have said fawk no. If the congress and house really wanted it they can override that.
Did you have an issue with it for 30 years?
__________________
Sure, there are 49 other states in the Union, but they are smaller, wussier, and the people talk funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.