Bulleit Bourbon vs. 1792 - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #226 (permalink)

Member # 138630
I know I'm probably an odd ball with this one, but one that I like to keep around is Weller Special Reserve. It's not expensive and I like the flavors, wood, caramel, etc.
I second the 4 Roses and Bulleit green label.
jcd1026 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #227 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd1026 View Post
I know I'm probably an odd ball with this one, but one that I like to keep around is Weller Special Reserve. It's not expensive and I like the flavors, wood, caramel, etc.
I second the 4 Roses and Bulleit green label.
Can you get the Weller Antique 107 and if so want to send me a bottle?

I'm buying some for a friend. Four Roses seems popular locally and so is 1792. I had some Weller Antique 107, and based on the guy who brought it it's hard to get.
H8DWINGS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #228 (permalink)

Member # 138630
Never seen the Antique 107. I'll have to keep an eye out. The Special Reserve is hard enough to find outside of Kentucky.
jcd1026 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #229 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Uzi View Post
I searched Four Roses and it's owned by Kirin Brewery (of Japan). Not saying that's a bad thing either. Better them than some American POS corporate raider rip off. This thread got me thirsty and it's 6 AM PST work week. Retirement sucks Last real alcohol I bought was Suntory, but my drunk ass BIL guzzled most of it while bitching about his wife. I can do better.
Japan does good whiskey, just because they own a distillery and make bourbon in the US is not an inherent turn off. Honestly I think the 4 Roses small batch is a reasonable value. Their single barrel I don't think is very good, especially at the price point.

I think I've mentioned it before, Pikesville Rye Whiskey. It's delicious and not outlandish $$$. Like I got my wife to try it and she pitched it to a regional grocery spirits/wine VP and he loved enough to start stocking at all locations, good.

I never could get on board with bourbon on the rocks, unless it's an Old Fashioned. Something about ice cold, straight whiskey feels wrong to my pallet at inception.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bggrnchvy; 11-15-2018 at 10:32 AM.
bggrnchvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #230 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerfreak View Post
Midleton Irish Whiskey.
Nectar of the Gods.

My nephew brought some Kirin back from Japan recently. They way he described it was they studied whiskey making, then over engineered it in typical Japanese fashion. It was good, but completely unremarkable to me. In typical Japanese fashion.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #231 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
Can you get the Weller Antique 107 and if so want to send me a bottle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd1026 View Post
Never seen the Antique 107. I'll have to keep an eye out. The Special Reserve is hard enough to find outside of Kentucky.
How bad do you want one? For serial. I mean cereal.
Realsquash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #232 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realsquash View Post
What's a ball park price of Antique and Special Reserve non-secondary market markup? If it's $200 I'm not interested. For cereal. It was apparently available at a liquor store 2 hours away in California but I don't know the price. Apparently the Weller Special Reserve hit town last year and I didn't know what it was so I'm keeping an eye out.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #233 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Quote:
What's a ball park price of Antique and Special Reserve non-secondary market markup? If it's $200 I'm not interested. For cereal. It was apparently available at a liquor store 2 hours away in California but I don't know the price. Apparently the Weller Special Reserve hit town last year and I didn't know what it was so I'm keeping an eye out.
$30-40 max IIRC.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #234 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
$30-40 max IIRC.
Iíd take two antique 107s at that price and cover shipping.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #235 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Quote:
Iíd take two antique 107s at that price and cover shipping.
OK I'll let you know next week when I'm over there
Old 11-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #236 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
OK I'll let you know next week when I'm over there
Awesome. Ask them if they have a box for shipping or anything like that. This is going to make my buddy FLIP for his birthday at the end of the month. Much appreciated.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:07 PM   #237 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Quote:
Awesome. Ask them if they have a box for shipping or anything like that. This is going to make my buddy FLIP for his birthday at the end of the month. Much appreciated.
I have all the stuff to properly ship it, no worries there.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #238 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
I have all the stuff to properly ship it, no worries there.
Aahhhhhh sheeeeeeetttttt.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #239 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Bunch of alkyies on here haha.

I have a barley pop or two maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Had 1/2 one last night, put my out like a lump on a log.

Last edited by nate379; 11-16-2018 at 12:07 PM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #240 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
Bunch of alkyies on here haha.

I have a barley pop or two maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Had 1/2 one last night, put my out like a lump on a log.
Hey I'm 48 hours sober again. I just saw "Bullet Bourbon" and I've heard it's good stuff so I wanted to see what Pirate said. I realized Pirate is huge and figured someone in the Bourbon thread could find some stuff so I went off track. Back to Bullet vs 1792.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #241 (permalink)

Member # 152210
every couple of years I sample stuff... but, after all these years, I come back to Makers and black bushmills for bourbon and irish whiskey. I've got three or four scotches at the house for relatives who are scotch people...

always fun to try new stuff, but the old standbys just work.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #242 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
every couple of years I sample stuff... but, after all these years, I come back to Makers and black bushmills for bourbon and irish whiskey. I've got three or four scotches at the house for relatives who are scotch people...

always fun to try new stuff, but the old standbys just work.
No matter what we try, my dad seems to always want 1792.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #243 (permalink)

Member # 152210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
No matter what we try, my dad seems to always want 1792.
I used to build guitar amplifiers for guys who'd pay a couple grand for an amp that had 'that tone'.... that tone, I firmly believe, was the sound of the first amp they ever had... always tubes almost always voiced like a champ or a deluxe...

Maybe we imprint on tastes etc and then we just kind of stay there.... I could never drink vodka til I was in my 40's... now, my wife and I go for martinis every other friday, same place, same bartender, always tito's and I think if I had to drink other vodka I'd be disappointed.

One of my guys is from Peru and he just gave me a bottle of Pisco (dubious name fo show) but, we'll try some...
Old 11-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #244 (permalink)

Member # 146689
Quote:
Weller 12? Or any sort of Pappy? I want it bad sweetheart....
Old 11-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #245 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusM View Post
Weller 12? Or any sort of Pappy? I want it bad sweetheart....
The last time I bought Pappy it was just sitting there on the shelf. Now the neckbeards all pay top dollar for it and I never win the chance to buy it at the auction at the store (no joke). I should have taken a photo of that auction last year.

Liquor barn shows Weller 12 in stock if they ship to your state.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #246 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
The last time I bought Pappy it was just sitting there on the shelf. Now the neckbeards all pay top dollar for it and I never win the chance to buy it at the auction at the store (no joke). I should have taken a photo of that auction last year.

Liquor barn shows Weller 12 in stock if they ship to your state.
Thatís how Blantonís is here.

& Blaine

Old 09-27-2019, 09:58 PM   #247 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
So tonight I cheated? I love my whiskey/bourbon, but if I drink it straight alone I am plowed early in the evening. I used to drink a lot of Jack and Coke but it just isnít doing it for me anymore. When I go to bars I get an old-fashioned or a Manhattan. My friend gave me this old-fashioned premade so I drank it tonight. It was good enough that I ordered a bunch online. Just donít have the ability to make one on my own, Especially when it comes to putting in orange zest. It was better than I could make it home but not as good as I can get at a bar.
Attached Images

& Blaine

Old 09-28-2019, 08:00 AM   #248 (permalink)

Member # 4135
I didnít read the entire thread again after you brought it back up, but my new go to is Elijah Craig. You should try that, itís not too expensive at $35/750ml and it is my favorite now to just sip. I hate to say smooth, but itís easy to sip, not smokey or harsh with a nice caramel flavor. I tried the Elijah Craig barrel proof but found that too harsh and itís nearly twice the cost. Stick to the plain EC.
The press is a gang of cruel faggots. Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfitsóa false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector
wheelerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2019, 08:14 AM   #249 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
So tonight I cheated? I love my whiskey/bourbon, but if I drink it straight alone I am plowed early in the evening. I used to drink a lot of Jack and Coke but it just isnít doing it for me anymore. When I go to bars I get an old-fashioned or a Manhattan. My friend gave me this old-fashioned premade so I drank it tonight. It was good enough that I ordered a bunch online. Just donít have the ability to make one on my own, Especially when it comes to putting in orange zest. It was better than I could make it home but not as good as I can get at a bar.
I love me an old fashioned, make them with Burbs and Rye at home. It's bad when I go to have a steak and end up just drinking old fashioneds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerfreak View Post
I didnít read the entire thread again after you brought it back up, but my new go to is Elijah Craig. You should try that, itís not too expensive at $35/750ml and it is my favorite now to just sip. I hate to say smooth, but itís easy to sip, not smokey or harsh with a nice caramel flavor. I tried the Elijah Craig barrel proof but found that too harsh and itís nearly twice the cost. Stick to the plain EC.
I always have regular EC around, it's great stuff. Barrel proof anything isn't for everyone no matter what it is. What you ate before sipping it has a huge impact on how it tastes, too.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:17 AM   #250 (permalink)

Member # 4135
Quote:
What you ate before sipping it has a huge impact on how it tastes, too.
I drink on an empty stomach
The press is a gang of cruel faggots. Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfitsóa false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector
wheelerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in