World Of Tanks? - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 41063
The point is so that you are always wanting the next upgrade, hopefully bad enough to actually shell out real cash for it. "Free to Play" games are usually referred to as "Pay to Win" games because this is how they are set up to make money.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #52 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
The point is so that you are always wanting the next upgrade, hopefully bad enough to actually shell out real cash for it. "Free to Play" games are usually referred to as "Pay to Win" games because this is how they are set up to make money.
thats the business point.

the game play point, at least on the 360, i don't know how the cpu game is setup, is missing.

theres no incentive in game play to move to next level of tank.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 218416
Pc wise it's for variety but all in all tier 1 battles are brutally fun
Old 11-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 2347
I hate you !

I'm running around having fun plinking in my PZ 1C. Almost got it fully upgraded just need a little more XP to finish it off. I think I have about 100 games down as of now.

The team I was playing with bitched about me camping till I killed almost half the other team.

I like to stand my ground and shoot which get's me killed a lot. I need to learn to run the fuck away in that thing...
Team Quadratec #105
Thanks to, Rausch Creek Offroad Park
Clayton Offroad
Profender Suspension
AtoZ Fabrication
Dave's Offroad Supply
Rolo Motorsports
k5king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 218416
Quote:
Originally Posted by k5king View Post
I hate you !

I'm running around having fun plinking in my PZ 1C. Almost got it fully upgraded just need a little more XP to finish it off. I think I have about 100 games down as of now.

The team I was playing with bitched about me camping till I killed almost half the other team.

I like to stand my ground and shoot which get's me killed a lot. I need to learn to run the fuck away in that thing...
Pc or 360?

I'm assuming pc because of the Pz 1 C

Last edited by TheJester13; 11-19-2013 at 12:25 AM.
TheJester13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 04:17 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Quote:
I need to learn to run the fuck away in that thing...

You have no idea what you're in for.
Tigerchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 2347
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJester13 View Post
Pc or 360?

I'm assuming pc because of the Pz 1 C
Playing on my PC, same gamertag as here. I haven't touched a console in a few years but I think it would end in me sitting in front of it my entire time home and not getting a thing done.

The hardest part for me so far is learning the maps. I played on the first 3 or 4 for hours but once I upgraded a little bit it seemed like I got new maps about every 3rd battle. I just move slow and camp on them to see where the rest of my team goes and then try to support them or play suiscout and haul ass.
Team Quadratec #105
Clayton Offroad
Profender Suspension
AtoZ Fabrication
Dave's Offroad Supply
Rolo Motorsports
Old 11-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #58 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:
I hate you !

The PZ1C is also a great tank for hit and run tactics, very few tanks can pivot their turrets fast enough to keep up with you.

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #59 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b View Post
i found that once i upgrade to new tank, right now i am at M2, the games are file with more advanced tanks than the previous ones. so even though my tank is now more capable, my enemy tanks are too. so whats the point of upgrading?

i have had more fun playing with the two free tanks and upgrading them and getting in those games. everyone is on a level playing field with the same tanks.
It depends on what MM lines you up with, sometimes you will be at the bottom of the list, other times you will end up the top tank, but that brings with it a big target on you.

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 331009
Been playing for awhile now, same gamer tag as here, 2 years I guess? I have somewhere around 2000 battles, still trying to figure which tanks I like better, I don't get to play enough to get into a groove lol
Old 11-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 17130
Love World of Tanks, been playing it awhile, about 1300 battles. WD40_Wolverine is my tag.
jstandle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Well I played this for most of the night last night and I have to say it is sort of interesting and fun but it's definitely designed to make you want to spend money and certainly qualifies as a "Pay to Win" game. The whole bit that gold can be exchanged for silver but the only way to get gold is to buy it or convert some of the gold XP points is shitty, but typical of the beast. I really don't like that they limit you on how many tanks you can sell as that really limits how many times you can upgrade since I refuse to buy any more slots. I also don't care for how you can rank up your crews, then sell the tank and put them in a new tank, but their XP is now gone and you can only get them up 50% for free, or pay something like 20k silver to get them to 75%. I suppose they have to make their money somehow but I detest the use of the phrase "Free to Play" when it is anything but. I don't even want to think of the ridiculous grind getting XP would be if I didn't have that code posted here.

I also don't really see where it's that difficult to understand really since it's basic common sense. You play the role of your chosen tank, either run around at full speed and use mobility as your shield, stay hidden and ambush, act like a battleship on land and fight it out, etc. Just like anything else you use the terrain to your advantage, the slope of your armor and aim for weak points. The maps that I have seen so far are pretty simple though a bit varied and some are positively biased. It's still pretty fun and I think I'll spend some time (money?) with it since GTA Online is boring as hell now and BF4 on PS4 is such a goddamn train wreck it's not even worth wasting time on since you get kicked and lose everything you gained.

Probably the worst part about WoT is the players. WTF is with everyone charging out of the base like it's a race to die or something? Almost every match a third of the team runs out to die within the first 4 minutes. Then we inevitably lose because all the morons left the base and only a couple stay behind to guard it and get wiped out in a flank attack. You can spam the "Protect the Base" all goddamn day long and the stupid bastards still run around trying to kill someone, never mind they lose more for not wining than they ever get with one more kill. Fuck I hate stupid people.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 41063
A couple more things...

WTF is "MM"? I've seen that mentioned here and on some of the forums dealing with WoT, never did see an explanation.

Also, what determines your class or "tier" and how are the matches organized? I find it a little ridiculous that my little M8A1 is a "Tier III" but I'm frequently up against Tier VI tanks that I can't possibly hope to penetrate with even my upgraded cannon unless I hit a weak point or am able to flank and hit them from behind. I would think that a M8A1 would be better suited to going up against lighter armor since they aren't quite fast enough to run circles around the bigger tanks and flanking is not always possible with the map designs and unbelievably stupid players backing you up.

Wait a sec, does "MM" mean matchmaking?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #64 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
MM = Match Maker, the "AI" that picks out what tanks end up in a match. MM is a fucking bitch.

Quote:
Old 11-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #65 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:
Well I played this for most of the night last night and I have to say it is sort of interesting and fun but it's definitely designed to make you want to spend money and certainly qualifies as a "Pay to Win" game. The whole bit that gold can be exchanged for silver but the only way to get gold is to buy it or convert some of the gold XP points is shitty, but typical of the beast. I really don't like that they limit you on how many tanks you can sell as that really limits how many times you can upgrade since I refuse to buy any more slots. I also don't care for how you can rank up your crews, then sell the tank and put them in a new tank, but their XP is now gone and you can only get them up 50% for free, or pay something like 20k silver to get them to 75%. I suppose they have to make their money somehow but I detest the use of the phrase "Free to Play" when it is anything but. I don't even want to think of the ridiculous grind getting XP would be if I didn't have that code posted here.

Probably the worst part about WoT is the players. WTF is with everyone charging out of the base like it's a race to die or something? Almost every match a third of the team runs out to die within the first 4 minutes. Then we inevitably lose because all the morons left the base and only a couple stay behind to guard it and get wiped out in a flank attack. You can spam the "Protect the Base" all goddamn day long and the stupid bastards still run around trying to kill someone, never mind they lose more for not wining than they ever get with one more kill. Fuck I hate stupid people.
Ok, a few things.

1)No you don't loose their training, IF you move them to the same weight/class tank. So as a example, you can move from a tier 5 to a tier 5, and you won't loose any experience. Also note that they don't loose their bonus abilities even if you train them up to the next tank.

2)Don't hang back and "protect the base" unless you are Arty or a TD. Rather move up, encourage your team to work as a group, target the same tank, go for wolfpack kills.

Quote:
Old 11-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 41063
All I know is every time I upgrade a tank, say from my T18 to a T82, I went from about 63% and they all had to be retrained to 50%. I ran around a while with all their experience in red, not knowing that I had to swap their assigned tank to the newer version.

Also, my M8A1 is a Tank Destroyer, so I hang back a bit. I usually try to find a choke point to camp or a spot with cover and some elevation where I can overwatch a decent amount of the map, usually within a few seconds of the base in case I need to double back. Seems to work pretty well most of the time though with some of the heavier armor it only takes one hit to wipe out my little machine. Still I can get some XP here and there with it and I am able to upgrade in a decent amount of time. I might even give in and just buy me a T14 since grinding trying to level up the T2, the M2 and the Lee is a stupid way to spend your time.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #67 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:
All I know is every time I upgrade a tank, say from my T18 to a T82, I went from about 63% and they all had to be retrained to 50%. I ran around a while with all their experience in red, not knowing that I had to swap their assigned tank to the newer version.

Also, my M8A1 is a Tank Destroyer, so I hang back a bit. I usually try to find a choke point to camp or a spot with cover and some elevation where I can overwatch a decent amount of the map, usually within a few seconds of the base in case I need to double back. Seems to work pretty well most of the time though with some of the heavier armor it only takes one hit to wipe out my little machine. Still I can get some XP here and there with it and I am able to upgrade in a decent amount of time. I might even give in and just buy me a T14 since grinding trying to level up the T2, the M2 and the Lee is a stupid way to spend your time.
A truck about the M8A1 to remember, its called the mini-hellcat for a reason. its stupid fast, and it can get in behind slower tanks and do massive damage to the rear armor. Use that speed to your advantage, wait for a tank to be tied up with a fellow tank, then dart in and hit his track, then get behind him and end him.

Quote:
Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #68 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Also, its worth it to get the 49.95 gold pack. Then just use your gold to convert experience, and buy 3-4 more slots. Then as you get elite tanks, leave them, don't sell them. I have now over 30 tanks in my garage, I cycle thru them all 1-4 times a week, one game each for between 1200-3000 XP each, then spend some gold to put it all in general XP. In this way I have managed to get to tier 10 rapidly.

Quote:
Old 11-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 2347
couple things I couldn't find is a more detailed user manual. I had no idea the "Z" button brought up a whole new window nor how to operate anything other than the controls. Even the online guide doesn't say anything about it. ( I don't think anyhow )

How do you call in Arty ?

I keep seeing " Attention to sector XX " and no clue what or how.

Why can't I buy HE or HP rounds ? I have a T2 maxed out and my Pz1C and neither one can I buy better ammo for. Is it just not available for those tanks or am I missing something ?
Team Quadratec #105
Clayton Offroad
Profender Suspension
AtoZ Fabrication
Dave's Offroad Supply
Rolo Motorsports
Old 11-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Quote:
couple things I couldn't find is a more detailed user manual. I had no idea the "Z" button brought up a whole new window nor how to operate anything other than the controls. Even the online guide doesn't say anything about it. ( I don't think anyhow )

How do you call in Arty ?

I keep seeing " Attention to sector XX " and no clue what or how.

Why can't I buy HE or HP rounds ? I have a T2 maxed out and my Pz1C and neither one can I buy better ammo for. Is it just not available for those tanks or am I missing something ?
I'm not sure on the guide, but you may look at the controls section under options.

The map pings you can do by holding alt to get your mouse cursor, then click on the sector you want people to pay attention to.

You are trying to buy gold rounds that you either have to pay gold for or high amount of credits. Some of those tanks/guns cannot buy gold rounds. The PZ1c has a 7.92mm machine gun, that is why there is no HE or APCR.

Last edited by boardbysled; 11-19-2013 at 04:27 PM.
boardbysled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Press F1 to look at the common controls while in a match. ESC will pop up a menu that you can go to settings, then controls to look at some of the comm shortcuts and so on.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 106178
That's kinda dumb, If I stick with a tier 1 tank it starts putting me into matches with tier 2's. Pretty much forcing me to upgrade.
takotruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Quote:
Originally Posted by takotruckin View Post
That's kinda dumb, If I stick with a tier 1 tank it starts putting me into matches with tier 2's. Pretty much forcing me to upgrade.
No. It's just making you become a better tanker. I know this sounds dumb, but when you get into higher tiers, you can certainly tell who put the time in to understand as opposed to those buying higher tier tanks through gold.

EDIT: If you haven't at the very least put in 200 game in that particular tank, you probably can't drive it properly and will die.

Last edited by Tigerchief; 11-20-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Tigerchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 218416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchief View Post
No. It's just making you become a better tanker. I know this sounds dumb, but when you get into higher tiers, you can certainly tell who put the time in to understand as opposed to those buying higher tier tanks through gold.

EDIT: If you haven't at the very least put in 200 game in that particular tank, you probably can't drive it properly and will die.
This. Every tank works different if you want to learn to be a tanker grind through the M3 Lee. People underestimate you after a bit and you can remove Hetzers easily
Old 11-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #75 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJester13 View Post
This. Every tank works different if you want to learn to be a tanker grind through the M3 Lee. People underestimate you after a bit and you can remove Hetzers easily
I learned early on, play the M3 like a TD and not like a front line tank, and you can rack up kills like no one else. The thing is just brutal at medium to long range fights.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in