cool new to me video copter by dji - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 203838
cool new to me video copter by dji

cant wait to see on in use at a Dirt Riot / WE ROCK or KOH...
Folsom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 181179
That's too cool!
stereoguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 86724
overpriced, uses special battery packs instead of standard shit, doesn't survive crashes well.

my impressions from looking one over yesterday, and seeing the results of an in experienced pilot flying it.

like all things, you can do better and cheaper if you build it yourself.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 9307
My friend has one, he has no RC experience and I was blown away at how rock solid it was is flight. I would buy one after researching them more.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
pro web-wheeler

Member # 12217
Watched the first promo video that was a couple minutes long. Based on only that one video, I'd question the performance of the copter/cam by the fact that in a couple minutes of video, there's less than 10 seconds of footage from the copter itself. Yeah, it looks cool in flight, but so what...the POV shots are what's important to me.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 203838
this is surely something that i would buy, especially for the app that has the versatility to immedieatly broadcast media to a source for viewing.

you cant just build that with the app and the user freindliness, unless your a techie guru then i suggest you build one for me lol...

ya i used to do alot of rc hobbies and built alot of one off stuff. lighter stronger and faster more mah etc... id still buy this because it seems to have way more functions that i couldnt do myself, self stabilising gps auto pilot and the handy app, im not saying i wouldnt find some better lipo packs and hotwire some of my own in there..... but thats all i would do.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 203838
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullJeep View Post
Watched the first promo video that was a couple minutes long. Based on only that one video, I'd question the performance of the copter/cam by the fact that in a couple minutes of video, there's less than 10 seconds of footage from the copter itself. Yeah, it looks cool in flight, but so what...the POV shots are what's important to me.
dustin imagine a few over head shots of werock/dirtriot or making it safer for media to get in close without risking being hit by a rolling buggy... you could fly this right on the course... and perched high above a dirt riot course you could help your teammates by giving them split times car locations course advice, etc, I think it woukld be awesome!! sitting inside and above corners on the course, or at Moab Area Bfe for a better look into the canyon broadcast onto a projector screen back at creightons Maxxis trailer!!

i like the pov's as well, i think this would be great to compliment them....
Old 02-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 54129
Send a message via AIM to BigJay Send a message via Yahoo to BigJay
I've been flying R/C helicopters since 2005, airplanes since 2007, and I built a couple quads starting in September of last year. I can tell you 100%, the GPS quads (which the DJI are) are very stable and easy to fly. They have a mode where the sticks work in relation to the pilot, not the aircraft. So pushing the right stick away from you makes the craft move away from you, no matter which way it's facing. It's really pretty neat. Any one of you could fly one of these with minimal practice. You can put it in a hover and set the transmitter down. It uses GPS, barometer, magnetic compass, a 3 axis gyro and a 3 axis accelerometer to maintain flight all by itself.

Here's a video at Disney OK from last fall. My buddy is flying AND this quad does not have a GPS auto-pilot. He can fly regular R/C helicopters though, so he doesn't need the help as much as some would. This was also his first video, so it has some things in it like some spinning that kinda sucks, but we didn't realize how bad that would look before we did it.

This is shot with a GoPro 3 on a 2 axis brushless gimbal.

Disney Rocktoberfest 2013 - YouTube

-J
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
dustin imagine a few over head shots of werock/dirtriot or making it safer for media to get in close without risking being hit by a rolling buggy... you could fly this right on the course... and perched high above a dirt riot course you could help your teammates by giving them split times car locations course advice, etc, I think it woukld be awesome!! sitting inside and above corners on the course, or at Moab Area Bfe for a better look into the canyon broadcast onto a projector screen back at creightons Maxxis trailer!!

i like the pov's as well, i think this would be great to compliment them....

Sirch.

There was a thread about the DJI as well as several of the comparable competitor just a month or so ago.

You get maybe 10 minutes of flight time out of a 450 size quad. So you'd have to time it perfectly and it's not like you're going to continuously film an entire race. You'll spend half the time swapping quad batteries and the batteries in your FPV gear. You'd probably be lucky to time a couple good shots an hour....if you have about $400 worth of spare batteries charged up and ready to continuously swap.

I really think the collective pitch quad I posted in the micro helo thread the other day is going to be the answer. They already have a prototype with a nitro engine that should be able to fly 20-30 minutes before need a "charge" of fresh gas.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Read reviews from people using specific models to learn about battery/flight time. The video quality I watched was great.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
this is surely something that i would buy, especially for the app that has the versatility to immedieatly broadcast media to a source for viewing.

you cant just build that with the app and the user freindliness, unless your a techie guru then i suggest you build one for me lol...

ya i used to do alot of rc hobbies and built alot of one off stuff. lighter stronger and faster more mah etc... id still buy this because it seems to have way more functions that i couldnt do myself, self stabilising gps auto pilot and the handy app, im not saying i wouldnt find some better lipo packs and hotwire some of my own in there..... but thats all i would do.
it's not that hard. there are base programs for 2 different open source controllers that do it.

you buy the recommended hardware, flash it and go fly it.
a gopro with a wifi connection accomplishes everything this thing does.
if you can follow basic step by step instructions you can save a few hundo, and use standard parts.
Flight controller, Gps Multiwii pro board setup for multicopters, cars,boats and planes | Flite Test

Plus, you can use better gimbals and support professional cameras.

I'm not saying that the DJI is terrible, but you're into it for almost a grand with a proprietary camera and mount, and proprietary batteries and replacement parts.

You can do a ton better with a little research, and you don't have to be a super techno geek to pull it together. There are several well established recipes. This thing is aimed squarely at people with too much money and not any sense.

besides, you can't use any of the footage commercially anyhow, not unless you want the FAA to come a knocking and fining the shit out of you.
Trappy and the FAA fine for flying over the University of Virginia | Personal Drones
Old 02-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 203838
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
besides, you can't use any of the footage commercially anyhow, not unless you want the FAA to come a knocking and fining the shit out of you.
Trappy and the FAA fine for flying over the University of Virginia | Personal Drones

FAA? Hmmm that sucks.... how did they get the videos online? maybe permission slip / hallway pass i guess?
EDIT:? Also how do they get permission for chopper cam at big offroad events? commercial...?

Ya i can see what your saying now about the money thing, msrp is 1200(+-)
and i know i could get my hd3 to do the same thing, we used to use foamy ugly stick gliders in the samy way... but the gps hold position thing seems pretty awesome... hold please, pan zoom snap...

Last edited by Folsom; 02-02-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 86724
the GPS position stufffwas integrated into multiwii before DJI did it

the FAA is involved because the .gov claims all airspace, and if you make money with it, you're now commercial aviation.

no different than DOT claiming you hauling your buggy with sponsor stickers on the trailer as commercial, and requiring a CDL.

bottom line, the FAA wants to control it all and profit from licensing and testing. They want pilots to pay, and they want manufacturers to pay. Essentiually get everyone coming and going. It's their playground and they're just letting us use uncontrolled airspace through their benevolence.

at least that's their stance.

AMA has been getting proactive:
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...1523236&page=2

but you know the pace of government. FAA still has a full year before they even have to do anything substantial. I'm sure that it will be half assed.

Last edited by 87manche; 02-02-2014 at 11:25 AM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5538
Send a message via AIM to BIGSTIC Send a message via Yahoo to BIGSTIC
The below video convinced me that as these progress the opportunities will progress as well. They will never replace choppers but I think they can bring a lot to video production.

DJI PHANTOM CHASING FLORIDA POWERBOAT CLUB - YouTube

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click Above ^^^^^^

"In America, we like everyone to know what we are doing anonymously" Jay Leno

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BIGSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 11:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
the GPS position stufffwas integrated into multiwii before DJI did it

the FAA is involved because the .gov claims all airspace, and if you make money with it, you're now commercial aviation.

no different than DOT claiming you hauling your buggy with sponsor stickers on the trailer as commercial, and requiring a CDL.

bottom line, the FAA wants to control it all and profit from licensing and testing. They want pilots to pay, and they want manufacturers to pay. Essentiually get everyone coming and going. It's their playground and they're just letting us use uncontrolled airspace through their benevolence.

at least that's their stance.

AMA has been getting proactive:
FAA and AMA to Sign a Landmark Agreement at AMA Expo 2014 - DIY Drones

but you know the pace of government. FAA still has a full year before they even have to do anything substantial. I'm sure that it will be half assed.

The latest release of multiwii added mission planning. You can now pull up a map of your location, select points you want to fly to and tell it how how and how long to stay there, as well as what direction it points while holding and while flying to the next point. I have it loaded but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

Last edited by bgaidan; 02-02-2014 at 11:42 AM.
bgaidan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 86724
I'd really like it if openpilot could get the hardware out.

OpenPilot.org - The Next Generation Open Source UAV Autopilot - The Next Generation Open Source UAV Autopilot
Old 02-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullJeep View Post
Then watch this one.

DJI PHANTOM CHASING SUMMER TIME - BIMINI, BAHAMAS - YouTube

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

- Darlington County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Looks like the usage wasn't what was illegal.

Quote:
The FAA claimed that the flights violated a single provision of the FARs stating that “that no person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another,” the FAA said.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

- Darlington County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
Looks like the usage wasn't what was illegal.
and until someone did it commercially the FAA has never applied the fars and penalties to model aircraft.

Quote:
“The FAA, aware of this change in public perception, has made an effort to delay and curtail civilian ‘drone’ activity by asserting in policy statements that ‘business’ or ‘commercial’ operations are prohibited and that some or all of the FARs apply,” the motion said. “However, neither the commercial ‘ban’ on drones nor the application of the FARs ... is legally enforceable because the FAA has failed to undertake the requisite rulemaking procedures that would be required to put in place such new regulation.”

The motion says there is no existing federal aviation regulation restricting the operation of model aircraft, and that small unmanned aircraft have historically been governed by voluntary safety guidelines, with plane operators being kept in check only by state tort laws holding reckless flying activities to account.
the fact that he got paid to do it is why they've levied fines, otherwise they can't justify the case.
Photography For Real Estate » Warning: FAA Says US Airspace Is Closed To ALL Commercial

personal use is exempt:
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/1acfc3f689769a56862569e70077c9cc/$FILE/ATTBJMAC/ac91-57.pdf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in