CVS pulls tobacco from all stores. - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
In 2012 CVS' sales revenue was $123B

Keep on using Stern as your news source
no shit eh

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Go mbeire muid beo ar an am seo arís[/COLOR]
NERVEman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
Some of you fuckers that don't smoke or dip or chew would have your feeble little minds blown if you knew how much money you spend with companies like Phillip Morris and R.J. Reynolds every year.

Tobacco is only part of what they do.
Camarogenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 04:47 AM   #53 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVEman View Post
i was listening to Robin(sp?) Quivers News today on Howard Stern. She quoted some spokes person stating that of the 25 Billion in sales annually, 2 Billion was cig sales. That is 8% of their sales and i would argue that it is NOT a losing asset.

In the same 'news', the spokesperson said that the company did not want to sell stuff that did harm to people.
Ha.
Considering OTC and RX drugs are the leading cause of accidental death in the USA, i found that statement quite amusing.
OTC and Rx drugs keep 10000x as many people alive as they kill. How many tobacco products keep people alive?
DMG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 05:34 AM   #54 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarogenius View Post
Some of you fuckers that don't smoke or dip or chew would have your feeble little minds blown if you knew how much money you spend with companies like Phillip Morris and R.J. Reynolds every year.

Tobacco is only part of what they do.
Enlighten us.

RJR used to own/be merged with other companies but I believe they have pretty much divested themselves of all other interests and are tobacco only now. Phillip Morris is the tobacco company of Altria, they used to also have Kraft but they spun off. I think Altria is just PM, some smokeless tobacco company and a wine company, may be slightly off though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #55 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfriedcj8 View Post
Did you go to CVS for a carton of smokes today or something?
No. Don't smoke, read the headline and couldn't grab the link.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #56 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by keller View Post
This, much like a bullet to the head is better than a shotgun shell.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #57 (permalink)
F.I.B.

Member # 57167
Good for them. I've never bought smokes there anyway.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 125361
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
Good. Cvs will be my drug store of choice from now on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f3arn0fj View Post
CVS will lose money and some other shop/store/gas station will get more money. I don't see a problem with it. Didn't CVS also pull booze as well? I haven't been inside one for years...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjeep View Post
Me too. Now walgreens needs to follow suit cause I like them more
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVEman View Post
i guess if you consider that annually CVS makes 2 BILLION dollars from cigarette sales is classified as a money loser
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard_Drd View Post
No, they SELL $2 billion in tobacco each year. That is not how much they make. It's about 2% of their total sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
So what are their expenses from cigarette sales?

In order to get discounts and kickbacks from the cig companies they have to give X amount of visible space behind the counter. I'm betting some bean counters sat down and crunched numbers that said they could display other, high profit items in that behind counter space and make more $$$
For all of you praising CVS for stopping the tobacco sales, or saying that CVS is going to lose money over it, now the real reason comes out (and it turns out that CVS stands to make up a lot of that $2 billion).

CVS plans to punish pharmacies that still sell tobacco

Quote:
CVS apparently has a plan to make up some of the $2 billion in annual sales that it's losing from cutting off the sale of cigarettes and other tobacco products last month. According to The Wall Street Journal, the plan takes advantage of the fact that CVS also owns Caremark, one of the United States' largest pharmacy benefits managers — which are intermediaries between insurance companies and pharmacies. CVS' reported plan is to have Caremark begin raising certain customers' copays by up to $15 when they fill a prescription at a pharmacy that sells tobacco products.

The result would be twofold: other pharmacies may begin feeling pressure to cut off tobacco sales, and CVS would become a more appealing place to fill prescriptions.

"A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Last edited by U.P. Jeep; 10-20-2014 at 07:58 PM.
U.P. Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Jeep View Post
For all of you praising CVS for stopping the tobacco sales, or saying that CVS is going to lose money over it, now the real reason comes out (and it turns out that CVS stands to make up a lot of that $2 billion).

CVS plans to punish pharmacies that still sell tobacco
Of course. As always, it's all about the money.
And some people thought this company was doing something "good" out of their heart.

The world is making my pretty cynical these days. I almost wonder if someone that stops to help a dying cat on the road is actually just trying to get the $100 bill underneath it.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 43837
I knew something was up.... I just figured their affiliated dr network was going to prescribe the shit out of nicotine quitting helpers..... if I was a stock holder I would want to beat their heads in for jumping out of tobacco and also missing the new vapor fad stuff. The stock wod have improved even more if they were not banking on the constant increase of prescriptions that are written everyday.

I wanted a can of butane to power my portable soldering iron a few weeks ago..... they don't have it anymore.... i went to a dot store instead across the street..... i bet they fucking love it.... especially after not having to compete with a box store price.

Businesses can do what they want.... but if I owned part of it I would be peeved.

Fuckin A.

Edit: will this pass another anti-trust litmus test?

Last edited by bigbroncojeff; 10-20-2014 at 08:39 PM.
bigbroncojeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 29037
I think it is Ironic they tax the snot out of tobacco to pay for kids health care, now CVS has stopped selling and is going to punish people who use any other pharmacy that hasn't jumped on the PC band wagon.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:45 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 43837
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
I think it is Ironic they tax the snot out of tobacco to pay for kids health care, now CVS has stopped selling and is going to punish people who use any other pharmacy that hasn't jumped on the PC band wagon.
Ironic...... it is fucking crap..... don't tell me this wasn't a back door to an upcharge that will make CVS more money.... maybe if i was a share holder i wouldn't be pissed lol
Old 10-21-2014, 05:29 AM   #63 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
Saw the commercial yesterday while at the gym, ironic that "oh its for your health" when they have a large line of CVS brand fatassedness in bags.

usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 65706
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbroncojeff View Post
Businesses can do what they want.... but if I owned part of it I would be peeved
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbroncojeff View Post
Ironic...... maybe if i was a share holder i wouldn't be pissed lol
Old 10-21-2014, 05:49 AM   #65 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
a large line of CVS brand fatassedness in bags.
That's for your health too. They make money off bad health, not good health.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

- Darlington County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #66 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 13671
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
OTC and Rx drugs keep 10000x as many people alive as they kill. How many tobacco products keep people alive?
(old post I know) I know of one tobacco product that saves lives every year- long cut wintergreen Redseal. It saved my supervisors life last week... no bullshit. I had planned to peel his face off with my hands, wad it up into a ball, and stuff it into his mouth in a manner that would have him asphyxiate on it slowly. Instead, with trembling hands, I grabbed a pinch and gathered my wits... and decided it wasn't worth the prison time all while being bathed in the warm opiate-like happiness of flavored nicotine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
If we as a country are going to spank people into healthy choices "for the kids" via penalty taxes then fuck it- lets do it right. Tax soda @ 25cents per ounce and a 150% flat tax on fast food.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
(old post I know) I know of one tobacco product that saves lives every year- long cut wintergreen Redseal. It saved my supervisors life last week... no bullshit. I had planned to peel his face off with my hands, wad it up into a ball, and stuff it into his mouth in a manner that would have him asphyxiate on it slowly. Instead, with trembling hands, I grabbed a pinch and gathered my wits... and decided it wasn't worth the prison time all while being bathed in the warm opiate-like happiness of flavored nicotine.

If we as a country are going to spank people into healthy choices "for the kids" via penalty taxes then fuck it- lets do it right. Tax soda @ 25cents per ounce and a 150% flat tax on fast food.
Been there many times...

As for the later, we need to remove all such items from being purchased on EBT cards as well. If they want the junk, they need to pay for it.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 43837
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelcon View Post
I thought about it for a bit.... i am still undecided how i would feel as a shareholder.... let's see how the antitrust suits go
Old 10-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 7287
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in