Trying to cool off a small rental house.....Whole House Fan? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 138229
Trying to cool off a small rental house.....Whole House Fan?

I have been renting a small house (2 Bedroom, 1 bath 850sqft) for the last 2 years or so, planning on being here another year or so at least with the way things are currently going. It has been pretty warm here already this year and it is only going to get worse at this point, we had 3 100F+ days last week.

The only problem I have with the house is the lack of insulation in the walls or attic and old single pane windows. There are currently 3 windows A/C Units (2 Bedrooms and Living room) that work pretty well for what they are.

The issue I am having is by the time I get home at 6-8pm, the house is so damn hot I can hardly stand it. The usual routine is to kick all 3 A/C units to FAN mode and put a couple fans in the door ways to clear out as much of the hot air as possible, after about 45min I kick the A/C to cold and let it go for a couple hours.

Anyone have any experience with a whole house fans? I have found a couple in the $200 range that I should be able to temporarily install over my attic access in one end of the house. Air Vent Inc. 24" Whole House Fan 54301 Attic & Whole House Fans - Air Compressor Accessories - Amazon.com There are 2 large whirlybird roof vents, as well as 15 or so small vents around the eaves, which should give me enough air flow out of the attic.

I have also seen a couple window style whole house fans, not sure how effective they are compared to the attic based ones.

Anything else I should be looking at that would help?

Cliff: House is hotter than sh*t at the end of the day when I get home looking for a way to cool it off quickly before I kick the AC on, no Central AC in the house
Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[QUOTE=PDR John;15357258]I can only offer life advise.

From now on if it flies, fucks or floats rent it.[/QUOTE]
sbarnesvta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
You could keep the window units running, just turn the temp up to about 78-80 during the day.

It's cheaper than trying to cool the house down from oven levels every night.
Camarogenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
In spite of what safety nerd says, you need to cool off the attic. That's what the whole house fan does. Your summertime attic temps can go over 140 degrees. That heat radiates into the house. Turning on the whole house fan isn't going to make your house tremendously cooler if the outside temps are high. Then your option is a attic ventilator. You could actually do both.

Solar heat is the big cause. Using cool roof materials to reflect the heat would help. You can also add radiative reflective panels to the underside of your roof. Your attic temps would lower 20-30 degrees with the roof treatment.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Darlington County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
Despite what the radioactive tick-turd said, I understand that it's only a rental, so you're limited on what you can do to see a return on the investment.
Camarogenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20053
The issue with the attic whole house fan is it will only bring the house temps down to what ever temp it is outside, that and every loose papers you have will be all over the place.
Keep your shades down and open all the windows an inch or so and let it run. Install a time clock on the power feed and start it 2 hrs before you get home, just add more time if need be.

Last edited by Joey D; 05-18-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Joey D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 138229
One thing I have going for me is the landlord is awesome. I have done quite a bit of maintenance/ small upgrades to the place and she always takes it out of my rent. She doesn't mind paying for stuff within reason. I doubt she would pay to insulate the attic or add the reflective material as suggested for a permanent solution, but it is worth a shot.

I was looking at the whole house van because there is no gable end on the roof. I installed a temp regulated gable end van on my moms house and a couple roof vents that helped dramatically, and would do it here it is was an option.

I am assuming the pressure of the air being pulled from outside through the house would be enough to force the hot air out of the attic with a whole house fan and solve most of the problem. I have been sleeping with the AC on the last week because the fan blowing cold air from outside is not enough to overcome the radiant heat from the attic. When I wake up it is usually still hotter inside than outside, but I am not is an area I trust enough to leave all the windows/doors open all night.
Build Thread:

[QUOTE=PDR John;15357258]I can only offer life advise.

From now on if it flies, fucks or floats rent it.[/QUOTE]
sbarnesvta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
W6FTW

Member # 133266
Meh, I have a whole house fan and an attic fan at my house. I'll run the whole house fan during the night, and early morning. When I leave for work the house gets to 67 or so. The attic fan will keep the attic relatively cool during the day. The hottest the house gets is 80. By that time, the outside temp is 80, so I flip on the whole house fan to start to process...

When it was 100 here in Vacaville, we didn't even run the ac...

NorCalPR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20331
I've never lived in a house with air conditioning, I don't live in So cal but summers in denver are pretty warm or at least warm enough for the majority of homes to have ac.

a whole house attic fan on a 60 minute timer as i'm going to bed then I turn it on right when I get up seems to work fine for me. A ceiling fan on high right above me in my living room also makes a 80 degree room feel bearable too. My house is around 1100 sq feet without much insulation as well. I'm sure the nightly lows in denver are much lower than what you're seeing in your neck so it might not work as well.
fullsize80cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 11745
It wouldn't cost that much to blow in some insulation if you DIY.

In my house I framed the attic access door to hold a box fan and I'll just open the door and plug it in and crack the windows. It cools the house and attic down super fast!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 188446
In my last house, the attic would get so hot that you could feel the heat radiating off the ceiling. The 2nd story bedroom was miserable to try to sleep.

I added a layer of the cheapest insulation (R13 - $300) I think that paid for itself in one summer. I then added an attic fan on a temp switch ($60). I think that paid for itself in a couple of months. Aside from the reduced AC costs, the bedroom was a lot cooler at night. Might be worth it even on a rental, especially if the landlord would at least pay for materials.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 40417
swamp cooler.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
W6FTW

Member # 133266
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
swamp cooler.
Works great when the humidity is low and the water is cold. Otherwise it's a swap ass cooler

NorCalPR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
make a few of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg

turn em on in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 98578
I'd put one or all the window units on timers.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 70825
I would try and work a deal with the landlord to insulate the house. it's not a complicated job to do yourself, just a dirty one. She would be dumb to not pay for materials if you were willing to do the work.

I finally got around to insulating the ceiling of my garage last year and you wouldn't believe the difference it makes.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 34482
Do your window units not have thermostats?

You're most likely spending more money turning them off than setting the t-stats back
01Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
but ventura is a beach city where its 78.23* all year, bikinis, sunshine, and basically awesome
Old 05-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
G_P

Member # 139985
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Tundra View Post
Do your window units not have thermostats?

You're most likely spending more money turning them off than setting the t-stats back
This.

In the poorly insulated rental I lived in I kept the window units set at 75+ when I was not home and would then crank them to high when I got home. Its more efficient to keep the house cool than it is to let it get blazing hot every day and then run the AC units full power to cool the place down only to let it get blazing hot again the next day.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 203479
I just moved into a new rental out in the country...actually it will be mine in 2 years as I'm doing a lease to own on it.

Long story short...no central AC..yet. I put a few window units in for now...and just re-wired them to run off a normal 1H1C thermostat lol....I just leave em at 80 all day on 95+ days..then when I get home...bedroom goes to 68 shortly before I sleep..living room/kitchen goes to 72.

It's pretty reasonable on energy.
I'm also a HVAC tech..so you gotta know a lil electrical to re-wire em..plus need a few controls.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
The rental house we lived in years and years ago had a whole house fan. I swear you could feel the air being sucked out of the lower levels of the home.

It also had a furnace in the basement, with the air intake in the basement. We let the furnace run it's blower sucking the cool air out of the basement.

That house was rarely hot regardless of outside temp. Enough that I keep meaning to cut open intake vents in the basement of our home for summer and use some magnetic sheets to block off either the upstairs intakes or basement intake when the seasons change.

Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 204026
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGreg5 View Post
I'd put one or all the window units on timers.
Yup.
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in