I quit drinking - Page 28 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2016, 08:32 AM   #676 (permalink)
Bug Nerd

Member # 42484
Day 3. Couldn't sleep for shit the last two nights but feeling better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yotasmob; 03-31-2016 at 08:32 AM.
yotasmob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #677 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Originally Posted by erich545 View Post
Is it like this for many of you that have quit?do most people hit this bottom before deciding to quit?
I am moderation hunting. If I gain confidence in my self control and boost my comfort level with being sober at night and sober at social events.. I am hoping it will slowly become easier for me to be ok with not drinking daily. on day 4... its just really weird right now. Its not normal or comfortable.

But what does 3, 3 finger glasses of bourbon gain me on the weeknights? So far the only thing I am missing is my comfort level.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:43 AM   #678 (permalink)

Member # 157355
5 Days. Went fast besides one night. In 14 Years this is a first. At this point I don't even want a beer, but I am sure that is situational and will change. I haven't really felt slow a single morning and I am getting more done around the house in the evenings. I assume my wife has noticed by now, but she knows me. She won't say anything, she will just see how it goes and wait for me to bring it up. or she will ask a single question and then not bring it back up.

I am waking up 2 hours earlier than normal and having some weird ass dreams. I'd prefer the 2 hours of sleep.

The weekend will be interesting. The only reason I don't want a beer is because I am now intrigued to see if I can go a weekend.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:12 AM   #679 (permalink)

Member # 45290
Send a message via AIM to BoneCrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
5 Days. Went fast besides one night. In 14 Years this is a first. At this point I don't even want a beer, but I am sure that is situational and will change. I haven't really felt slow a single morning and I am getting more done around the house in the evenings. I assume my wife has noticed by now, but she knows me. She won't say anything, she will just see how it goes and wait for me to bring it up. or she will ask a single question and then not bring it back up.

I am waking up 2 hours earlier than normal and having some weird ass dreams. I'd prefer the 2 hours of sleep.

The weekend will be interesting. The only reason I don't want a beer is because I am now intrigued to see if I can go a weekend.

That's kind of how it started for me. I went a week then wanted to see if I could go a weekend then wanted to see if I could go a month.

Now I only drink when there is a reason to do so.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #680 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
That's kind of how it started for me. I went a week then wanted to see if I could go a weekend then wanted to see if I could go a month.

Now I only drink when there is a reason to do so.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #681 (permalink)

Member # 45290
Send a message via AIM to BoneCrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
Thanks for the inspiration.
Once youve stopped drinking for a full month your outlook on alcohol changes.

It is no longer something you NEED. It then becomes something that is there.

After about 6 months I was going out to eat with friends and drinks didnt even cross my mind.

You can do it. The only person stopping you from doing it is yourself.

Find something to do this weekend to keep you occupied without involving alcohol and it will make it much easier to go without.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #682 (permalink)

Member # 181491
It is the not sleeping at night that really bothers me.

I have been taking OTC sleeping pills and some nights they work and others they do not.
crispins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #683 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispins View Post
It is the not sleeping at night that really bothers me.

I have been taking OTC sleeping pills and some nights they work and others they do not.
Are you getting any physical exercise?
Fresh air and endorphins are going to make you sleep like a baby. Trust me.

Exercise and Depression: Endorphins, Reducing Stress, and More

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #684 (permalink)

Member # 109702
I'll be 6 weeks tomorrow. Had to stop because of gout in my big toe. Cut out red meat also. Not sure if I will stop together or not. I pop right out of bed and full of piss and vinegar. Feels good. Fridays and Saturdays are tough. Try to plan an outing in the afternoon to get past happy hour.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:16 AM   #685 (permalink)

Member # 27710
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecj3man View Post
It has been a long time coming for me to step back from the bottle. Reading through this thread again, for the hundredth time two weeks ago showed me that it could be done. Its only been a week, but I plan on having a healthy break from drinking. Its been over ten years since I went more than a day without having a drink, and most times a drink turned into a bunch.

The part that worried more than anything was going to dinner with my wife. She has never seen me go out to eat and have something other than an alcoholic drink. We went out last weekend and it felt good to have glass of water and drive home without looking over my shoulder. It sure bummed out our favorite local watering hole though, they already had the drink poured waiting on us to sit down. I guess that also shows that I needed a break.
Well, today is 150 days since I had anything to drink. I am loosing some weight, feel a lot better, and I think I am probably generally less of an asshole. I always thought that I got a lot of work done around the house and in the shop when I was drinking beer all of the time. But looking what I have accomplished since January shows that to be a fallacy.

The one thing I hadn't realized is that I never left the house on Fridays or Saturday night driving because I was scared of getting arrested and jeopardizing my employment. The last few weekends I have been trying to get my 55 Chevy dialed in. It is a blast to leave the house at 9:30 or 10 pm and head towards town without worry of the law, at least for DUI.
thecj3man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #686 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
150!

Awesome.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #687 (permalink)

Member # 179963
Way to go I just got to the three and a half year mark myself. Life keeps getting better!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #688 (permalink)

Member # 114810
Bumping this to say today is day 30 without a drink for me.
Went to an AA meeting last night. Will go again next week.
First few weeks i had trouble sleeping. As others have stated, im feeling way better, especially in the morning.
engnmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #689 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Congrat's!!
Old 11-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #690 (permalink)

Member # 43837
Hi y'all!

I've avoided this thread since it was created. Slowly read it since lunch time yesterday.

Monday will be 6 months without for my wife and I.

We were co-dependant and co-enabling... now we support eachother in not drinking.

I don't crave it... and never really did... until it hit my lips.

I know if I have one drink, I want two drinks, and when I have two drinks.... I want all the drinks... and then timed it to still buy more before the last store closed. Was a long 20 years.

I know there are a lot of differing opinions on AA. Even if you don't feel the 12 steps are helpful to you, the month chips help keep goals set and you get a tangible trinket. And read the big book. The stories may be worse than yours. .. or less bad. .. but there is a ton to relate to no matter what.
Rule number three is good to me.... "The only requirement to be a member is the desire to quit drinking. "

The first meeting I went to was straight up depressing (I don't go at that time/night anymore) But I've been to some great ones. Hearing people talk and offering each other support is a great reminder (much like this thread... honestly. .. great meetings are exactly like this thread and last for an hour. .. it's people talking and sharing what had worked, and what hasn't).

If you have the desire to quit drinking, former drinkers are a great resource.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigbroncojeff; 11-18-2016 at 07:37 AM.
bigbroncojeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 06:50 AM   #691 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Outstanding!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm sure many others will agree:

Thanks for posting this.
Tigerchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #692 (permalink)

Member # 43837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchief View Post
Outstanding!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm sure many others will agree:

Thanks for posting this.
Thank you.

Had I read this thread from it's inception I likely would have blown it off anyway. It's up to the person to decide when they are ready. Wish I had decided sooner.

It really is a great thread. I hope it inspires some more folks that need some inspiration.

Last edited by bigbroncojeff; 11-18-2016 at 07:01 AM.
bigbroncojeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #693 (permalink)

Member # 27710
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbroncojeff View Post
It's up to the person to decide when they are ready. Wish I had decided sooner.

It really is a great thread. I hope it inspires some more folks that need some inspiration.
I agree completely with the statements above. Congratulations on the 6 month mark. November 4th was 300 days for me and things keep getting better. I thought the summer months would be the hardest, but they weren't at all. I just keep telling myself I have better shit to do than to sit around drunk.
thecj3man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #694 (permalink)

Member # 114810
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Congrat's!!
Thanks Curtis. How are you doing?

I just read back through all 14 pages. Hope everyone is staying strong.
One thing i can relate to that was mentioned a few times is how many people tried moderation after stopping, only to fall back into old habits.

I wondered here and there over the last few weeks if i could ever go back to just enjoying a beer every now and then. Hurts to type this but it seems like the answer is no. Only time will tell. One day at a time. 31 days.

Last edited by engnmonkey; 11-18-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #695 (permalink)

Member # 57161
Hey, Is the is Christmas Beer exchange thread?

J/K Almost 4 years sober here. The last time I drank was at King of the Hammers a few years ago. I took 5 gallons of apple pie down and didn't come back with very much. Spent the whole week too wasted to drive. (I was just riding bitch in a friends buggy) Decided I didn't want that for my life and haven't toughed a drop since.

Keep it up guys!!!!
" Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes....But when a long train of abuses and usurpations.... it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
cannoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #696 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by engnmonkey View Post
Honestly, I'm drinking.

Never less then 2 per day, usually 3 or 4, never more than 5. Always in the late afternoon/early evening.

Been at that level for about a year now. (Basically was sober for a year, and then at this level for a year.)

I suppose I'm playing with fire, but I'm honestly pretty happy with where I'm at.

Thanks for asking; I'm trying to always be honest with myself in this thread.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #697 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbroncojeff View Post
Congrat's!

Got to be a great thing to have more sober time with your kid.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #698 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 13671
Quote:
Originally Posted by engnmonkey View Post

I just read back through all 14 pages. Hope everyone is staying strong.
One thing i can relate to that was mentioned a few times is how many people tried moderation after stopping, only to fall back into old habits.

I wondered here and there over the last few weeks if i could ever go back to just enjoying a beer every now and then. Hurts to type this but it seems like the answer is no. Only time will tell. One day at a time. 31 days.
It really depends on the person.

Even when I was a "problem drinker" there were several days a week I just flat out didn't want to drink. Of course, this didn't make me better than anyone- what's worse? 6-10 beers every day after work or not drinking 5 days a week but getting hammered the other 2?

It wasn't hard for me to chill out and become a moderate drinker, but others just can't do it. Everyone is programmed different. Some people can be problem drinkers and "see the light" while others can't. This is my only problem with AA... the program assumes everyone has the same problem and will react accordingly.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #699 (permalink)

Member # 80349
Mind if I join in?

Never thought I'd have to quit but it's getting bad and becoming a daily thing. My insides hurt and I feel like crap in the morning yet I'm right back to sipping my beloved vodka every night.

I don't remember when I started but I think it was back in 2006 when I did something stupid and gradually became a daily thing.

I see alot of you guys that quit and doing alot better so hopefully I can do the same.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #700 (permalink)

Member # 114810
Good for you man! One day at a time.

It took my wife leaving for me to finally wake up and admit i had a problem. I may have never quit if she hadnt left.

Last edited by engnmonkey; 11-18-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in