I quit drinking - Page 32 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #776 (permalink)
Bug Nerd

Member # 42484
30 days. Tangible proof that I am not full of shit.

Drawing was always a good release for me as kid. I usually just put pencil to paper and go. And I have found that the result is I draw things subconsciously. Sometimes I don't even see it until other people point it out to me.

I set out to draw a snake. This is what I ended up with.

I thought people in this thread might be able to appreciate it. I'd rather die on life's terms than kill myself slowly.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yotasmob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #777 (permalink)

Member # 49939
I decided to quit a few weeks ago. Got to the point I was drinking 6-8 drinks daily. I was having trouble sleeping and my face/ears would mostly feel like it's on fire.

3 weeks in I do not miss it at all, I feel much better and much more productive.
comeonstart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #778 (permalink)

Member # 27710
It's hard for me to believe, or maybe accept, that today marks one year since I have had a drink. I am posting this to both help myself and everybody else. If I can do it, anybody can do it that wants too. It has gotten easier for me the last few months. The 2nd guessing myself or the "just have one for old times sake" with my friends has disappeared mostly from my mind.
thecj3man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #779 (permalink)

Member # 59753
Please stop thinking of it as stopping drinking.
Think of it more as beginning life on life's terms.

29 years later alcohol means nothing to me.
January 6th 1988.
The day I had woken up and said I have had enough.

29 years ago walked out of jail.
I owned the rags I was wearing.

The rewards didn't come for me overnight.
Took 21 years for my daughter to be born.

I got a degree, a great job, and a beautiful healthy family.
A much better life than I ever thought I deserved.

Last edited by Alfred W.; 01-08-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Alfred W. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #780 (permalink)

Member # 59753
Cliff notes:
Don't make it a negative. Make it a Positive.

I had a habit of doing allot of positive things, only to fuck it all up by doing one Negative thing.

Last edited by Alfred W.; 01-09-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Alfred W. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #781 (permalink)

Member # 726969
I'm working on my drinking, got it pretty good now I think. Was up to 18 somedays and 12 the other days, and I'm shorter/lean dude, 150lbs...

Good to see all the folks on here trying to knock it, it's a slippery slope once your tolerance builds up!!

I'm hoping I can be back to nothin here this year and into a rock rig sometime in the future.
Liftedzuki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #782 (permalink)

Member # 82607
Congratulations to all of you, I am proud of each and every one of you,
One thing I told my brother when he decided to give it up (he had it bad) was that he was going to have to find new "friends" to hang out with.
He's been sober a couple of years now and doing well.
I quit before I had a problem (it runs in our family) I quit after my dad passed away in 1990, I had just turned 30, I'm glad I didn't fall into that trap.
God bless you all.
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 07:37 AM   #783 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liftedzuki View Post
I'm working on my drinking, got it pretty good now I think. Was up to 18 somedays and 12 the other days, and I'm shorter/lean dude, 150lbs...
How much are you drinking now?
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #784 (permalink)

Member # 43837
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecj3man View Post
It's hard for me to believe, or maybe accept, that today marks one year since I have had a drink. I am posting this to both help myself and everybody else. If I can do it, anybody can do it that wants too. It has gotten easier for me the last few months. The 2nd guessing myself or the "just have one for old times sake" with my friends has disappeared mostly from my mind.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #785 (permalink)

Member # 726969
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
How much are you drinking now?

Had one last night. None night before. I've been down to 0 or 3. Think 6 2 days ago.

I do good for 4 or 5 days then drink alot. Working on 0-3 max 7 days a week. Drank too much to quit cold turkey.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #786 (permalink)

Member # 169788
I have followed this thread from the start and I'm finally taking action... I quit drinking for 3+ years, from 2007-2010 and felt great. Decided one evening to just have one drink with my wife (who never did stop), well we all know how that goes. 7 years later and I realize I'm going down the wrong path in life. We drunks are stubborn, but it's finally gotten to a point I have to do something.

I have had at least 6-8 drinks every night for the past 5+ years, not a single night off. Last night I had 3 drinks over the course of 4 hours, a significant reduction. Like the poster above me, I was drinking too much to stop cold turkey, as I know that can be very dangerous. My goal tonight is "only" 2 drinks and see how I feel and sleep. If all goes well, my end goal is to not have anything to drink by the end of the week.

I've been down this road before, I know to take one day at a time, days become weeks, weeks become months, months become years...

I posted this to have another place to be held accountable. I really do appreciate all the support the fine "assholes" of this site provide!!!
COcamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #787 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liftedzuki View Post
Had one last night. None night before.
:thumps up:
Old 01-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #788 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcamper View Post
I have followed this thread from the start and I'm finally taking action... I quit drinking for 3+ years, from 2007-2010 and felt great. Decided one evening to just have one drink with my wife (who never did stop), well we all know how that goes. 7 years later and I realize I'm going down the wrong path in life. We drunks are stubborn, but it's finally gotten to a point I have to do something.

I have had at least 6-8 drinks every night for the past 5+ years, not a single night off. Last night I had 3 drinks over the course of 4 hours, a significant reduction. Like the poster above me, I was drinking too much to stop cold turkey, as I know that can be very dangerous. My goal tonight is "only" 2 drinks and see how I feel and sleep. If all goes well, my end goal is to not have anything to drink by the end of the week.

I've been down this road before, I know to take one day at a time, days become weeks, weeks become months, months become years...

I posted this to have another place to be held accountable. I really do appreciate all the support the fine "assholes" of this site provide!!!
You know we're pulling for you.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #789 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonstart View Post
I decided to quit a few weeks ago. Got to the point I was drinking 6-8 drinks daily. I was having trouble sleeping and my face/ears would mostly feel like it's on fire.

3 weeks in I do not miss it at all, I feel much better and much more productive.
By drinks are you talking about liquor or beers? Possibly a very stupid questions but when a cop asks "how many drinks have you had tonight" they don't typically care beer or liquor.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #790 (permalink)

Member # 726969
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcamper View Post

Keep it up man. I can't sleep without some alcohol in me. That's my hardest thing!
Old 01-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #791 (permalink)

Member # 211760
Just hit my 2 year mark about a month ago. Still consider it the best decision I have ever made.
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #792 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46240
It's time for me to try this again. I've been wanting to quit for a few years now, or at least get it under control. I just don't want to have that urge to always revolve my life around drinking. I'll admit though that there is still a part of me that doesn't want to quit, and it's a voice that tends to win the argument. Especially when I'm alone, bored, working on my buggy, etc. I've never been one to drink anything but beer, but I've been drinking a lot of it for at least 10-12 years. I honestly don't know when I started drinking on a daily basis, but for a while now I've been putting down at least 6-12 per night and 12-18 on most weekends. Occasionally, I will go for a day without a drop, but always go right back to it the next day.

Sad thing is I was diagnosed with gout at the age of 28. It's getting so bad that my foot constantly is stiff or hurting, and I have a big enough lump on the side of my foot that it's hard to put on some shoes. I used to be extremely active and fairly fit, but since I've gone down this path, my health is obviously deteriorating quickly. I'm up to 203 lbs from 165 lbs and get winded just walking up some stairs. My motivation to do anything is gone, especially when all my play money goes toward beer only.

I'm sure it's been covered, but too hard to go back and read this many pages.

- Does anyone else get extremely hungry when trying to quit? How did you deal with the hunger?

- Did anyone lose weight quickly by just quitting beer? I figure I'm taking in 1200+ calories on average on a daily basis in beer alone. I really don't eat that badly aside from my other addiction to hot wings.

EDIT: I've posted in this thread in the past and mentioned that I need to do this for my wife. My drinking has long been a struggle between us, and we recently found out that we can't have children on top of it. We've spent a ton of money on treatments and IVF ($30K+) just to finally be told this. We have no idea where we are going to go from here, whether it be adoption, embryo adoption, egg donor, or say screw it and do nothing all but live our lives. I do know that finding this out has been one of the biggest obstacles we have encountered, and until I can get my shit under control, I don't think we'll ever really know which direction to go.

Last edited by RaginCaucasian; 01-10-2017 at 03:51 PM.
RaginCaucasian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #793 (permalink)
Bug Nerd

Member # 42484
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCaucasian View Post
It's time for me to try this again. I've been wanting to quit for a few years now, or at least get it under control. I just don't want to have that urge to always revolve my life around drinking. I'll admit though that there is still a part of me that doesn't want to quit, and it's a voice that tends to win the argument. Especially when I'm alone, bored, working on my buggy, etc. I've never been one to drink anything but beer, but I've been drinking a lot of it for at least 10-12 years. I honestly don't know when I started drinking on a daily basis, but for a while now I've been putting down at least 6-12 per night and 12-18 on most weekends. Occasionally, I will go for a day without a drop, but always go right back to it the next day.

Sad thing is I was diagnosed with gout at the age of 28. It's getting so bad that my foot constantly is stiff or hurting, and I have a big enough lump on the side of my foot that it's hard to put on some shoes. I used to be extremely active and fairly fit, but since I've gone down this path, my health is obviously deteriorating quickly. I'm up to 203 lbs from 165 lbs and get winded just walking up some stairs. My motivation to do anything is gone, especially when all my play money goes toward beer only.

- Does anyone else get extremely hungry when trying to quit? How did you deal with the hunger?

- Did anyone lose weight quickly by just quitting beer? I figure I'm taking in 1200+ calories on average on a daily basis in beer alone. I really don't eat that badly aside from my other addiction to hot wings.

EDIT: I've posted in this thread in the past and mentioned that I need to do this for my wife. My drinking has long been a struggle between us, and we recently found out that we can't have children on top of it. We've spent a ton of money on treatments and IVF ($30K+) just to finally be told this. We have no idea where we are going to go from here, whether it be adoption, embryo adoption, egg donor, or say screw it and do nothing all but live our lives. I do know that finding this out has been one of the biggest obstacles we have encountered, and until I can get my shit under control, I don't think we'll ever really know which direction to go.
First off, some people can gain control of drinking after realizing they have a problem. Many more cannot. Based on what you have provided here, it seems pretty clear you have a problem and you acknowledge it. People that don't have a problem, don't have to fight an urge to drink even when they don't want to.

Second, have you been honest with your doctor about your alcohol consumption? I lied straight up to my doctors for years. I have a heavy scientific background, so with the exception of my personal doctor who knows this, I was actually able to manipulate doctors into thinking I was suffering from other issues that weren't related to my excessive alcohol consumption, when they really were. Because I knew if I was honest, they would tell me I have to quit. Gout and excessive alcohol consumption are definitely correlated. Food for thought.

As for getting hungry when quitting, yes. You pointed it out yourself. Heavy drinkers obtain most of their daily caloric intake from alcohol. Instead of that extra 1200+ calories a day, there is suddenly a void. I was super hungry for weeks after quitting, but my diet/hunger has since normalized out. That is likely what causes the hunger spike.

I relapsed 4 times in the last 7 months, each time was only a handful of days before I straightened out again. However, prior to this, I was drinking anywhere from a pint to a fifth of rum every day (depending on if it was a worknight or a weekend) for probably a year straight.

By cutting alcohol, hopping on the keto diet (mostly eat meat and veggies), and doing ZERO exercise, I lost 52 lbs in six months. I am still overweight, but I can jog up flights of stairs that used to wind me just walking.

Lastly, you have to do this for yourself first. Anyone or anything else is secondary. I quit for someone else and that someone eventually decided I wasn't an alcoholic and I could drink. Because I was quitting for her, it was no trouble to go right back to it. And guess what, she became an alcoholic too in the process.

Trying to quit for someone else never works in my own experience, and that of others I know.

If you really want it, its all on you. And we in this thread are here to help with the process if that is what you really want. But you are taking the steps in the right direction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yotasmob; 01-10-2017 at 05:14 PM.
yotasmob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #794 (permalink)

Member # 726969
I like this thread. Whoever wants to quit for good soon feel free to hit me up. I'd love to work together on fighting it.

Just had 6 or 7, going to bed before I drink more

Last edited by Liftedzuki; 01-10-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #795 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
I read where alcohol has been known to cause cancer in any part of the body. Also, alcohol kills testosterone, which if you're a man you need for good health and metabolism among other things.

Alcoholic drinks have a lot of sugar which converts to insulin. When you stop drinking, you crave sugar and food because you miss the insulin. That's why AA meetings have a lot of cookies and stuff.

If you're trying to stop, my advice is don't get hung up on weight gain or what you eat. One thing at a time. Also, don't stop smoking (if you smoke) or get in or out of relationships for a year or so. Keep everything else in your life consistent.

JR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #796 (permalink)

Member # 15359
Send a message via AIM to Baldwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Alcoholic drinks have a lot of sugar which converts to insulin. When you stop drinking, you crave sugar and food because you miss the insulin. That's why AA meetings have a lot of cookies and stuff.
Sorry, but as a diabetic, I must correct this statement. Sugar does not convert to insulin. The body produces insulin to break down the sugar/carbs that you intake to make energy. Your body does not crave insulin. Your body creates insulin as a reaction to sugar. In a healthy human, the pancreas does this as needed.

I don't know anything about craving sugar and food when one quits drinking, so I can't speak to that.

The more you know!
Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #797 (permalink)

Member # 2634
Checking in at almost 7 years and no booze. I ain't gonna lie, I could take it back up and be right back where I started. It's funny how the brain works and how you will literally sit there and try to convince yourself its OK, one won't hurt, you earned it, nobody will know, blah blah.

It's tough for sure.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #798 (permalink)

Member # 109702
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCaucasian View Post

If you read back, the Gout was the main reason I had to evaluate things. That shit hurts!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:02 PM   #799 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
Sorry, but as a diabetic, I must correct this statement. Sugar does not convert to insulin. The body produces insulin to break down the sugar/carbs that you intake to make energy. Your body does not crave insulin. Your body creates insulin as a reaction to sugar. In a healthy human, the pancreas does this as needed.

I don't know anything about craving sugar and food when one quits drinking, so I can't speak to that.

The more you know!
Yeah, when I wrote that I couldn't remember exactly how it was told to me but knew someone would jump in to correct it.
The point is when a person stops drinking, his body misses the sugar (correction, not everybody ). How insulin plays a role in this really wasn't the point and I shouldn't have even mentioned it.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #800 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman View Post
Checking in at almost 7 years and no booze. I ain't gonna lie, I could take it back up and be right back where I started. It's funny how the brain works and how you will literally sit there and try to convince yourself its OK, one won't hurt, you earned it, nobody will know, blah blah.

It's tough for sure.
8 years here and yes, know exactly what you mean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in