I quit drinking - Page 35 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2017, 03:15 PM   #851 (permalink)
CJF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member # 41971
Posts: 5,964
Nothing like that for me.

Sure it couldn't be coincidental? Strained muscles or something?

Regardless, hang in there!
CJF is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 04:18 PM   #852 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80349
Location: Wampum, PA
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Nothing like that for me.

Sure it couldn't be coincidental? Strained muscles or something?

Regardless, hang in there!

Doesn't feel like a muscle strain. More like inside. I feel nothing in the morning and then after lunch it starts bothering me.

I am never touching a drop of alcohol again. I have no desire to. I made a big decision recently that eliminated the cause of my drinking. It was either do it and live or don't and die.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 06:04 PM   #853 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member # 43837
Location: NNW-ish Houston, TX
Posts: 24,329
I felt similar in stomach and kidneys for a bit and some pain of that nature.. Like i couldn't drink enough water... But I was drinking enough water to constantly pee like crazy.

It was like i was hung over/dehydrated for a long while. My body was so used to getting moisture, sugars, and calories from one place and then i changed it to another is all I can guess.
__________________
RIP SPRING CREEK OFF ROAD

Last edited by bigbroncojeff; 04-30-2017 at 06:07 PM.
bigbroncojeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #854 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80349
Location: Wampum, PA
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbroncojeff View Post
I felt similar in stomach and kidneys for a bit and some pain of that nature.. Like i couldn't drink enough water... But I was drinking enough water to constantly pee like crazy.

It was like i was hung over/dehydrated for a long while. My body was so used to getting moisture, sugars, and calories from one place and then i changed it to another is all I can guess.
How long did it last?

I'm drinking water all day and eating whole foods. I cut out fried shit and all that just to help it as much as I can.

Last edited by muddeprived; 04-30-2017 at 06:45 PM.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 07:46 PM   #855 (permalink)
Rock God
 
bjordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member # 143323
Location: Frederick MD
Posts: 1,631
OP, good for you

I quit drinking beer about 5 months ago and have maybe one whiskey and coke every 2 weeks. Lost 10lbs. in the first 2 months and have kept it off with nothing more then not drinking.

Problem I had was beer would slow me down. I am always busy and as soon as drank one beer that was it, I was done working or being productive
__________________
Quote:
Get a sitter and take her somewhere nice. Obviously "nice" is reliant on budget, as my nice might be crawfish and draft shiner at a dive bar followed by rough backseat sex parked behind Gander Mountain- whereas your nice will probably differ from that.
bjordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #856 (permalink)
VEX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Member # 46417
Location: Sac. Kaleeforniia
Posts: 5,579
So much awesomeness in this thread.
So many have improved themselves by stopping the alcohol to the degree that they were at.

I stopped for a good while, but I have come to terms with it now.
I don't 'need' it anymore, but will imbibe in a social setting.

Everyone has their own motivation, reason, and level of acceptability.
Whether it's total abstinence, or one here and there.

Once you find that sweet spot for you, you're golden.

I applaud every one of you for trying, posting, and being true to yourselves.

Alcohol dependence is a bitch, but with your efforts for yourself and the support of others like you, YOU CAN DO IT!
__________________
Quote:
Fuck you....shaddup
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Hey newb. Welcome to PBB. Now STFU.
Credo Quia Absurdum LSD#3
VEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2017, 05:44 AM   #857 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member # 85771
Location: Minnysooota
Posts: 18,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEX View Post
I applaud every one of you for trying, posting, and being true to yourselves.
Hell yes.





Its very socially acceptable to be a drunk, booze is everywhere. Its a hard thing to knock, keep at it.
__________________
Make Forums Great Again!
ky scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #858 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member # 43837
Location: NNW-ish Houston, TX
Posts: 24,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
How long did it last?

I'm drinking water all day and eating whole foods. I cut out fried shit and all that just to help it as much as I can.
Don't remember. Still feel like it happens from time to time.

Dunno what you drank.

Average can of beer is 150 calories. If you put away 24 that is 3600 calories... Not to mention 2.25 gallons of liquid.

Your body adjusting to that being gone was my best guess at what was happening.
__________________
RIP SPRING CREEK OFF ROAD
bigbroncojeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #859 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80349
Location: Wampum, PA
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbroncojeff View Post
Don't remember. Still feel like it happens from time to time.

Dunno what you drank.

Average can of beer is 150 calories. If you put away 24 that is 3600 calories... Not to mention 2.25 gallons of liquid.

Your body adjusting to that being gone was my best guess at what was happening.
Half a bottle of vodka a night. I would say 6 days a week on average since 2008-ish.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #860 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Member # 1515
Location: Bates City, Mo
Posts: 17,624
Send a message via AIM to Po' riggity Send a message via Yahoo to Po' riggity
Figured I would post in this thread. I "quit" drinking at the beginning of May, because it was adversely affecting my home life, and it was ALWAYS on my mind. At the end of May, I transferred from So Cal to Reno, NV for work. I had to go up to Reno before the wife and kids, as we had to find a house up in Reno, and try to sell our home in So Cal. I was living alone, up in Reno for about 3 months, and during that 3 months, I went back to my old drinking habits. About a 30 pack every 2 days. I think I did it mostly because I was bored, and lonely. At any rate, I quit again right before we moved the wife up here to Reno, which was on August 23rd. I'm not counting the days sober, I'm just taking it one day at a time. I have found a love for different brands of ginger ale, ginger beer (non alcoholic) and microbrewed root beers.

Taking it one day at a time. It's not always easy, and I still have cravings for a cold beer a lot... But I'll get through them.

Scott
__________________
Black Star Status!
Po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #861 (permalink)
Non-Lemming
 
SanDiegoCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Member # 840
Location: Ramona, SoCal
Posts: 78,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po' riggity View Post
Figured I would post in this thread. I "quit" drinking at the beginning of May, because it was adversely affecting my home life, and it was ALWAYS on my mind. At the end of May, I transferred from So Cal to Reno, NV for work. I had to go up to Reno before the wife and kids, as we had to find a house up in Reno, and try to sell our home in So Cal. I was living alone, up in Reno for about 3 months, and during that 3 months, I went back to my old drinking habits. About a 30 pack every 2 days. I think I did it mostly because I was bored, and lonely. At any rate, I quit again right before we moved the wife up here to Reno, which was on August 23rd. I'm not counting the days sober, I'm just taking it one day at a time. I have found a love for different brands of ginger ale, ginger beer (non alcoholic) and microbrewed root beers.

Taking it one day at a time. It's not always easy, and I still have cravings for a cold beer a lot... But I'll get through them.

Scott
Just take it one day at a time Scott. It'll be 17 years this coming Jan. for me and you know how much I drank. At this point I rarely even think about having a "brew". I realize it was the best decision I could make and I'm glad I did.
__________________
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.

Last edited by SanDiegoCJ; 10-07-2017 at 04:57 PM.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #862 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Member # 1515
Location: Bates City, Mo
Posts: 17,624
Send a message via AIM to Po' riggity Send a message via Yahoo to Po' riggity
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
Just take it one day at a time Scott. It'll be 17 years this coming Jan. for me and you know how much I drank. At this point I rarely even think about having a "brew". I realize it was the best decision I could make and I'm glad I did.
Thanks Gary.. Yeah I remember the days when you drank.. That's pretty much where I was at while camping. I'd wake up, make coffee then crack a beer around 9 am. I'm just going one day at a time...


Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
__________________
Black Star Status!
Po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #863 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Member # 82607
Location: Jackson, NY
Posts: 2,433
Hang in there, don't be afraid to talk to someone even if it's somebody here.
Good for you.
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #864 (permalink)
Bug Nerd
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member # 42484
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 7,167
It took me two years of really trying.

But I hit 5 months without a drink a few days ago. Longest I've gone since I was a teenager.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yotasmob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #865 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Member # 1515
Location: Bates City, Mo
Posts: 17,624
Send a message via AIM to Po' riggity Send a message via Yahoo to Po' riggity
I'm still getting used to popping open a ginger ale or tea instead of a beer.. But.. This will work..

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
__________________
Black Star Status!
Po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #866 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53453
Location: On the Bottle
Posts: 22,585
Can you make the picture bigger? I can't quite make it out.
__________________
Quote:
Problem with truffle butter is that it isnt gay st all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #867 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Member # 1515
Location: Bates City, Mo
Posts: 17,624
Send a message via AIM to Po' riggity Send a message via Yahoo to Po' riggity
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Can you make the picture bigger? I can't quite make it out.
Lol.. I'm on tapatalk.. On my phone.. I haven't been on the website today. I'm glad you can see it alright

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
__________________
Black Star Status!
Po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #868 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53453
Location: On the Bottle
Posts: 22,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po' riggity View Post
Lol.. I'm on tapatalk.. On my phone.. I haven't been on the website today. I'm glad you can see it alright
I'd argue that this is direct evidence that you haven't actually quit drinking.
__________________
Quote:
Problem with truffle butter is that it isnt gay st all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #869 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Member # 1515
Location: Bates City, Mo
Posts: 17,624
Send a message via AIM to Po' riggity Send a message via Yahoo to Po' riggity
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
I'd argue that this is direct evidence that you haven't actually quit drinking.

Holy crap... I just got to a laptop.. that's a HUGE picture HAHAHA.. Nice.
__________________
Black Star Status!
Po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 03:17 AM   #870 (permalink)
Registered User
 
AllGoNoShow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Member # 46318
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,957
I have drank for damn near 20 years, drank hard for the last 10 or so. Decided I have had enough. Day 10 sober if I make it through today. Longest I have ever gone. I feel great physically, and I am optimistic on the days to come. Tough for me to type this because I HATE going back on my word and this is the only thing that could make me go back on it. Wish me luck.
__________________
Vote Trump 2016.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 03:21 AM   #871 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Member # 685122
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
I have drank for damn near 20 years, drank hard for the last 10 or so. Decided I have had enough. Day 10 sober if I make it through today. Longest I have ever gone. I feel great physically, and I am optimistic on the days to come. Tough for me to type this because I HATE going back on my word and this is the only thing that could make me go back on it. Wish me luck.
Drank.
TheCopperCowboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 04:23 AM   #872 (permalink)
Registered User
 
comeonstart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Member # 49939
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 5,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
I have drank for damn near 20 years, drank hard for the last 10 or so. Decided I have had enough. Day 10 sober if I make it through today. Longest I have ever gone. I feel great physically, and I am optimistic on the days to come. Tough for me to type this because I HATE going back on my word and this is the only thing that could make me go back on it. Wish me luck.
Keep it up.

I quit Dec 20 last year. Lost 15 lbs since. Telling my friends what I was doing was key, because then I felt stupid drinking with them.
comeonstart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 05:08 AM   #873 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Member # 684754
Posts: 343
it will be 5 years this coming June. I was a raging alcoholic, made an ass out myself everywhere. If it wasn't for the great password reset, i would still be staring in the mirror of the old me (and probably still have that stigma).

I had to change my whole life. but it was for the best. 7 years ago i was couch surfing / homeless, now my fiance and i own a home and am thriving.

Right now is the very best time ever! For everything. seriously. don't make excuses to quit.

Last edited by RMKrawler; 01-01-2018 at 05:09 AM.
RMKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 05:11 AM   #874 (permalink)
Registered User
 
AllGoNoShow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Member # 46318
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMKrawler View Post
it will be 5 years this coming June. I was a raging alcoholic, made an ass out myself everywhere. If it wasn't for the great password reset, i would still be staring in the mirror of the old me (and probably still have that stigma).

I had to change my whole life. but it was for the best. 7 years ago i was couch surfing / homeless, now my fiance and i own a home and am thriving.

Right now is the very best time ever! For everything. seriously. don't make excuses to quit.
Congrats.
__________________
Vote Trump 2016.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 05:54 AM   #875 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Member # 27710
Location: Fall Branch, TN
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
I have drank for damn near 20 years, drank hard for the last 10 or so. Decided I have had enough. Day 10 sober if I make it through today. Longest I have ever gone. I feel great physically, and I am optimistic on the days to come. Tough for me to type this because I HATE going back on my word and this is the only thing that could make me go back on it. Wish me luck.
Congrats. After a few weeks each day was easier for me than the day before. Coming up on two years sober this month. I worried a lot about social situations, especially a few work related functions where an open bar was the norm. Turns out that it is just as much fun for me to watch people make fools of themselves instead of making a fool of myself.
thecj3man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.