I quit drinking - Page 36 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #876 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecj3man View Post
Congrats. After a few weeks each day was easier for me than the day before. Coming up on two years sober this month. I worried a lot about social situations, especially a few work related functions where an open bar was the norm. Turns out that it is just as much fun for me to watch people make fools of themselves instead of making a fool of myself.
I am probably going to lose some friends but I am ok with that. I have my wife and kids and I want to keep it that way.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:53 AM   #877 (permalink)

Member # 114810
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
I have drank for damn near 20 years, drank hard for the last 10 or so. Decided I have had enough. Day 10 sober if I make it through today. Longest I have ever gone. I feel great physically, and I am optimistic on the days to come. Tough for me to type this because I HATE going back on my word and this is the only thing that could make me go back on it. Wish me luck.
You can do it man. It gets easier after a while.
engnmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 07:04 AM   #878 (permalink)

Member # 36822
Quote:
I am probably going to lose some friends but I am ok with that. I have my wife and kids and I want to keep it that way.
I'm betting Paragon and our gin-addled Canuck friend NERVEman will call you a big stinky face poopy-head, too.

Not that big of a deal.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #879 (permalink)

Member # 80349
Quote:
Originally Posted by engnmonkey View Post
You can do it man. It gets easier after a while.
This.

It was tough, mentally, to NOT want to drink but after a while that urge begins to fade after a couple weeks.

I quit a while back but occasionally have a drink. I feel much better having control over it and not just drinking my lights out every day.

Plus the $$ you save.....
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #880 (permalink)

Member # 15359
Send a message via AIM to Baldwin
I just hit my 6 month mark and it feels pretty good. There are some days were I want a beer, mainly due to some issues I am having with my son, but I am choosing to deal with it without alcohol. I've lost 20 pounds and sleep much better and don't wake up every morning feel like dog shit. Not to mention the money that I am saving by not buying beer.
Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #881 (permalink)

Member # 82607
I've said it before and I'll say it again, congratulations and hang in there. Join a twelve step program if you feel the need, it's nothing to be ashamed of and the support of others going through the same thing can help you.
Here's to a healthy and prosperous 2018
"One day at a time"
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 11:30 AM   #882 (permalink)

Member # 214685
Tomorrow will be my one year. My advice for anyone else new in sobriety is that it does get easier with time. The hardest part for me has been retraining my brain to do things without having a drink.
Byro is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #883 (permalink)

Member # 15359
Send a message via AIM to Baldwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byro View Post
Tomorrow will be my one year. My advice for anyone else new in sobriety is that it does get easier with time. The hardest part for me has been retraining my brain to do things without having a drink.
That was hard for me as well. Congrats to you.
Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #884 (permalink)

Member # 21320
Quote:
Nice work!
Old 01-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #885 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Quote:
That is what will be tough for me, going to be weird working in the shop without drinking beer. Will probably get a lot more done though.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #886 (permalink)

Member # 96185
Quote:
That is what will be tough for me, going to be weird working in the shop without drinking beer. Will probably get a lot more done though.

It only weird for the first few weeks/ month or two. After that, it’s not routine.

It’s kind of like smoking. People have a hard time driving and not smoking. Many people light up when they start the drive. Once you break that habit it’s easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #887 (permalink)

Member # 214685
Quote:
Yep. The weekends all my buddies would come over and bullshit around in the garage working on whatever. Which usually meant more drinking than getting stuff done. I’m definitely more productive now though haha. It was really surprising how supportive my close friends were which is a big help. I’m not huge into the whole AA thing, I’ve gone to a few and I suggest that anyone considering sobriety go to at least a few speaker meetings. Just sit and listen to the person tell their story. The biggest and most difficult part is the self realization and acceptance that you do have an issue with drinking.
Byro is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #888 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Yup, when you're drinking most people can't picture themselves doing stuff without a drink. After about 6 months I really figured out I could do anything I wanted to without a drink. For me it'll be 17 years tomorrow.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #889 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenToy View Post
I'm betting Paragon and our gin-addled Canuck friend NERVEman will call you a big stinky face poopy-head, too.

Not that big of a deal.
Interesting post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #890 (permalink)

Member # 4650
Quote:

Not that big of a deal.
i re read my four posts in this thread and see no connection to your commentary.
oh wait, you are still butthurt from another thread where you spouted judgemntal nonsense.
ha.

anyways, congrats to all in his thread battling for sobriety, i too entered a new program i created for myself. i quit for 7 weeks, had a few drink nights over christmas and back on the no booze train until next long weekend arrives.
i will attempt to only ever have drinks on long weekends, not get drunk and
feel healthy in mornings after.
feb long, easter, may long, canada day long, aug long, labor day long, thanksgiving long and christmas/ new years long. roughly 9 weekends a year.
if i fail, i quit for ‘ever’.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Go mbeire muid beo ar an am seo arís[/COLOR]
NERVEman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #891 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVEman View Post
i re read my four posts in this thread and see no connection to your commentary.
oh wait, you are still butthurt from another thread where you spouted judgemntal nonsense.
ha.

anyways, congrats to all in his thread battling for sobriety, i too entered a new program i created for myself. i quit for 7 weeks, had a few drink nights over christmas and back on the no booze train until next long weekend arrives.
feb long, easter, may long, canada day long, aug long, labor day long, thanksgiving long and christmas/ new years long. roughly 9 weekends a year.

Looks like I need to sell my stock in Newfoundland and Labrador Liquor Corporation since you're cutting your intake of Screech.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Old 01-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #892 (permalink)

Member # 4650
haha. oddly enough i have never tried it.
now knob creek bourbon stocks...

Last edited by NERVEman; 01-01-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #893 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
haha. oddly enough i have never tried it.
now knob creek bourbon stocks...
I suggest you take a pass. That stuff will mess you up.

Quote:
Old 01-01-2018, 05:22 PM   #894 (permalink)

Member # 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
I suggest you take a pass. That stuff will mess you up.
duly noted.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:42 AM   #895 (permalink)

Member # 36822
Quote:
ha.

My reply to AllGoNoShow's quote was not directed at you in any sense, whatsoever. AllGoNoShow was lamenting the possible loss of "so-called" friends due to his change of heart regarding consuming alcohol. With friends like that you most certainly don't need any enemies. Try reading it again, this time sober...

Glad to see I've got a place I can live rent-free (points at your forehead).

Welcome to the party!
Old 01-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #896 (permalink)

Member # 4650
Quote:

Not that big of a deal.
Quote:
My reply to AllGoNoShow's quote was not directed at you in any sense, whatsoever. AllGoNoShow was lamenting the possible loss of "so-called" friends due to his change of heart regarding consuming alcohol. With friends like that you most certainly don't need any enemies. Try reading it again, this time sober...

Glad to see I've got a place I can live rent-free (points at your forehead).

Welcome to the party!
Firstly, you obviously do not understand the whole rent free idea as all i did was continue to follow this thread and saw you made a comment that was incoherent. i was puzzled and made a reply. Only once do i remember a discussion with you in some other thread and you got all butthurt. the end.

Rent free is more of people that continually regurgitate a person in threads all over related or not. they also 'follow' the person around in threads regurgitating material from other related or not related threads.

Replying once to you referencing me is no rental unit.

As for your reply, it still remains incoherent and perfect for the quitting drinking thread.

Now move on as you are a 'nothing' and this thread is more important than you or me discussing your in coherency.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:19 PM   #897 (permalink)

Member # 36822
Quote:
Firstly, you obviously do not understand the whole rent free idea as all i did was continue to follow this thread and saw you made a comment that was incoherent. i was puzzled and made a reply. Only once do i remember a discussion with you in some other thread and you got all butthurt. the end.

Rent free is more of people that continually regurgitate a person in threads all over related or not. they also 'follow' the person around in threads regurgitating material from other related or not related threads.

Replying once to you referencing me is no rental unit.

As for your reply, it still remains incoherent and perfect for the quitting drinking thread.

Now move on as you are a 'nothing' and this thread is more important than you or me discussing your in coherency.
Definitely rent-free, with utilities included I see...

Last edited by FrankenToy; 01-02-2018 at 02:20 PM.
FrankenToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #898 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Definitely rent-free, with utilities included I see...
Point on the doll to where the mean old chiropractor hurt you.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #899 (permalink)

Member # 36822
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Point on the doll to where the mean old chiropractor hurt you.
He didn't hurt anybody. I don't think that was ever his intent in any thread. I don't find him unintelligent, either. However, I just find it ironic and hilarious that, amongst other things, he posts up in a I QUIT DRINKING thread rationalizing that he is only now drinking for 20% of the weekends. Do I drink? Nope. Am I self-righteous about that? You bet, and properly so. Do I think he has a drinking problem? Probably, in my humble opinion. He has explicitly stated that he has mathematically calculated how much he can drink AND THEN DRIVE. That's big red flag right there. The real answer to that equation is DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE. There is absolutely no reason for doing so, whatsoever. Again, I'm not the one with the problem. Just ask those in this thread who aren't rationalizing the destructive nature of drinking and have expressed a sincere desire to quit drinking. For those who feel that they need alcohol to be happy, I pity them.

The real "butt-hurt" being expressed in these threads are the people who drink AND then rationalize it.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #900 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcamper View Post
I have followed this thread from the start and I'm finally taking action... I quit drinking for 3+ years, from 2007-2010 and felt great. Decided one evening to just have one drink with my wife (who never did stop), well we all know how that goes. 7 years later and I realize I'm going down the wrong path in life. We drunks are stubborn, but it's finally gotten to a point I have to do something.

I have had at least 6-8 drinks every night for the past 5+ years, not a single night off. Last night I had 3 drinks over the course of 4 hours, a significant reduction. Like the poster above me, I was drinking too much to stop cold turkey, as I know that can be very dangerous. My goal tonight is "only" 2 drinks and see how I feel and sleep. If all goes well, my end goal is to not have anything to drink by the end of the week.

I've been down this road before, I know to take one day at a time, days become weeks, weeks become months, months become years...

I posted this to have another place to be held accountable. I really do appreciate all the support the fine "assholes" of this site provide!!!
Yes, I am quoting myself... I posted the above post on 1/10/2017, even in that post I mentioned how stubborn "us" drunks can be! Well, a little over a year later, I finally said enough is enough. I had my last drink on 1/15/2018, I quit cold turkey as I knew that was the only way I could do it. I tried to cut back for over a year, and it didn't work.

Today is day 11 without a single drop of alcohol. I won't lie, as most know, those first 2-3 nights were hell. I wake up each morning feeling better and better and look at each day as a new beginning. As I stated in my quote above, I take each day as it comes, knowing I will be stronger the next morning. Soon it will be 2 weeks, soon after, a month, then multiple months, and so on.

I know I'm at an extreme risk of falling back into my old ways, I've been down this road before and it's a life long battle, but one I am determined to be in charge of, instead of it being in charge of me.

I'll report back in around 2/15 when I hit the one month mark. Thanks again for any and all support, you really are all the best bunch of internet "assholes" a guy could lean on for support!

Last edited by COcamper; 01-26-2018 at 10:27 AM.
COcamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in