I quit drinking - Page 37 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #901 (permalink)

Member # 181491
I am at just over 3 months without a drop.

Like others have said it is weird not having a drink while doing some things.

I have really started drinking coffee heavy, I find having something in front of me to sip, to get up and make, to stop and get while driving about has helped.

I don't think I have gone over a week without drinking in over 25 years.

Was def a full blown alcoholic these last 8 years or so.

It hurts me to admit it but alcohol has caused me so many issues these last few years.

Dui's, lost jobs, bar fights, ATV wrecks, ect...

So far I have lost about 20 lbs or so, feeling much better, but kinda bored.
crispins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #902 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Congrat's you two.

Keep on keepin' on.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #903 (permalink)

Member # 114810
That's awesome man. If you really want to quit, you will. If you slip up. don't worry too much-it happens.

What works for me is "i'm not drinking today"
engnmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2018, 07:35 PM   #904 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Been 34 days for me. I feel great. I have found that I have way more patience when it comes to everything. I also have a lot less anxiety.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:00 PM   #905 (permalink)

Member # 8227
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispins View Post
feeling much better, but kinda bored.
You'll a lot of time when you replace drunk time with sober time.....start working out
J-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2018, 04:12 AM   #906 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Well....back at it.....

I had a great 2015 (when I first posted here) I did really well and was dry for pretty much the whole year. 2016 started to slip some and felt it was under control. Then 2017 I was right back where I was when i first posted here. In that time I gained back the 30lbs I lost. Frankly, I avoided this thread like the plague.

Fast forward to last week. Friday I had an accident unloading a Jeep (not at all related to booze) I nearly broke my leg. Spent a good part of the weekend in and out of the ER. Anyway, flopping around like a manatee out of water really pissed me off. Having a bum leg, I realized that I was right back to being in the rough shape I once was. Everything has been a challenge, because I am so out of shape. Being laid up got me thinking. So here I am....day 5.

Can't say I'm disappointed on myself. I'm pissed at myself. Being pissed can be a damn good motivator. So those of you who continue to support and encourage others....a sincere thank you.
nofender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #907 (permalink)

Member # 8227
Get back on the wagon.

Im my experience, fomr looking at friends and listening to experts, is that when you quit and relapse. The relapse phase is a much deeper addiction.
J-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2018, 04:51 AM   #908 (permalink)

Member # 182157
Hey Guys and Gals,

Congratulations to all of you who have chosen a different path in life.

For me it will be 22 years in June without a drink. Without a doubt it's the most important thing that I've ever done. No DUIs or lost jobs; but, I'm certain it was just a matter of time.

I still think regularly about drinking. I know there are people who say that should go away... with me it doesn't. I envy people who can have a drink or two and maintain. I self-medicated as a way of dealing with life.

Life can still be a hell of a challenge; but, I KNOW that drinking would only make it worse. Every really stupid thing I ever did was when I was drinking or hungover. Whenever I get the urge to drink I can come up with dozens of memories of really stupid things that I did when drinking and the urge subsides. (Thinking back on how crappy I felt hungover or just plain unhealthy in general makes it even less difficult.)

Good luck to all of you. I can't speak for anyone but myself.... Giving up drinking was the best thing I ever did, despite the challenges that it creates with friends and family at social events.

Jeff
Jeff09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #909 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Today is day 31, or the 1 month mark... Not a single drop of booze since 1/15/2018, and I have no intentions of having another.

Each day is a new day, but each day starts a hell of lot easier not being hungover or sleep deprived!

I've gotten more shit done in the last few weeks than I have the last few years.

Instead of just sitting around having drink after drink with my wife, I now find myself motivated to do something- I've just about finished cleaning and organizing my 2+ car garage/shop from top to bottom that has been collecting stuff for the last 14 years (found all sorts of shit I knew I had, but wasn't sure exactly where it was!). I added LED light fixtures throughout the area, wow, what a difference that makes! I also added LED light fixtures to our unfinished basement and I'm in the process of organizing all the crap down there and throwing out/donating what hasn't been touched in years. I've knocked off I don't know how many "honey-dos" that have been needing attention, but I used to always find an excuse to put them off- fixing light fixtures, leaking faucet, slow draining drains, cleaned out our office of clutter, etc.

Just got all new fluids for my vehicles and will be doing the diffs, transfer cases, and transmissions this weekend, also replacing some shocks on my daughters SUV and other preventive maintenance that I've been putting off.

I know it's early in the process, but each day gets easier and each day I feel better, sleep better, and get more stuff done.

Thanks again for the support and encouragement. I'll check back in at the 3 month mark, for now, here's to another day of sobriety...
COcamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #910 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Sincere congrat's. Keep on keepin' on.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #911 (permalink)

Member # 21320
Nice work!
Old 02-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #912 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcamper View Post
Today is day 31, or the 1 month mark... Not a single drop of booze since 1/15/2018, and I have no intentions of having another.

Each day is a new day, but each day starts a hell of lot easier not being hungover or sleep deprived!

I've gotten more shit done in the last few weeks than I have the last few years.

Instead of just sitting around having drink after drink with my wife, I now find myself motivated to do something- I've just about finished cleaning and organizing my 2+ car garage/shop from top to bottom that has been collecting stuff for the last 14 years (found all sorts of shit I knew I had, but wasn't sure exactly where it was!). I added LED light fixtures throughout the area, wow, what a difference that makes! I also added LED light fixtures to our unfinished basement and I'm in the process of organizing all the crap down there and throwing out/donating what hasn't been touched in years. I've knocked off I don't know how many "honey-dos" that have been needing attention, but I used to always find an excuse to put them off- fixing light fixtures, leaking faucet, slow draining drains, cleaned out our office of clutter, etc.

Just got all new fluids for my vehicles and will be doing the diffs, transfer cases, and transmissions this weekend, also replacing some shocks on my daughters SUV and other preventive maintenance that I've been putting off.

I know it's early in the process, but each day gets easier and each day I feel better, sleep better, and get more stuff done.

Thanks again for the support and encouragement. I'll check back in at the 3 month mark, for now, here's to another day of sobriety...

Good on you. For me I fear it would be the opposite, I get stuff done while drinking. Like all that stuff in the garage I would prob have to avoid because that is when I drink.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #913 (permalink)

Member # 169788
As I mentioned in my last post in this thread, checking in at the the 3 month mark: Update- all is good, no alcohol for 3 months and I feel great. Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement and to those that have shared their experiences.

I have read and written down many different quotes from a wide variety of sources, some as encouragement, others as reminders, many of them just simple statements that seem to have more power when you have them on a piece of paper in front of you... The simplest, and maybe the most powerful one for me:

"The best apology is changed behavior."

6 words, that when strung together, can be applied to a lot of scenarios in life.

I'll drop back in and give another update down the road, for now, as CJF said 2 months ago, I'll keep on keepin' on!
Old 04-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #914 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 82435
Quote:
As I mentioned in my last post in this thread, checking in at the the 3 month mark: Update- all is good, no alcohol for 3 months and I feel great. Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement and to those that have shared their experiences.

I have read and written down many different quotes from a wide variety of sources, some as encouragement, others as reminders, many of them just simple statements that seem to have more power when you have them on a piece of paper in front of you... The simplest, and maybe the most powerful one for me:

6 words, that when strung together, can be applied to a lot of scenarios in life.

I'll drop back in and give another update down the road, for now, as CJF said 2 months ago, I'll keep on keepin' on!
Great job man. I myself just quit too. Last Friday, the 13th oddly enough, was my 4 week mark. So far it's been a mix of good and bad. Good as far as money and my general mood but it has driven my crohns crazy. It'll pass I'm sure so I just keep not drinking and buy cigars instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

51 Ford

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

81 Cherokee
Rooney77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2018, 06:59 PM   #915 (permalink)

Member # 684754
congrats to all who have decided to straighten their acts out.

i'll be 5 years in june.
RMKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #916 (permalink)

Member # 114810
Way to go! 😎
engnmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #917 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Another check-in for me- little over the 6 month mark and still booze free. I WILL keep on keeping on... It has gotten easier but there sure have been some "tests".

A big one was going on a 10 day vacation with my extended family, which included 7 days on a cruise with lots of booze flowing. In hindsight, it wasn't really that difficult to not drink, wasn't even really tempted. The toughest thing was watching those around me get so drunk they made fools of themselves, and realizing that just a short 6 months ago that was ME! Had some good conversations with my daughters (19 and 16) and probably got the best fathers day card I've ever gotten from them with a simple message handwritten inside: "Dad, thank you for making the changes you have made over the last ~6 months..."

I'll drop back in some time down the road. For those battling, keep on fighting the good fight. Thanks again for the words of support and giving me another place to hold myself accountable.

These simple words continue to resonate with me:

The word "Sorry" doesn't mean shit unless you do something about it...
Old 07-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #918 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Had some good conversations with my daughters (19 and 16) and probably got the best fathers day card I've ever gotten from them with a simple message handwritten inside: "Dad, thank you for making the changes you have made over the last ~6 months..."
That's awesome.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #919 (permalink)
Total Asshat

Member # 653210
Thumbs up

Awesome X2
Old 07-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #920 (permalink)

Member # 1234
Quote:
A big one was going on a 10 day vacation with my extended family, which included 7 days on a cruise with lots of booze flowing. In hindsight, it wasn't really that difficult to not drink, wasn't even really tempted. The toughest thing was watching those around me get so drunk they made fools of themselves, and realizing that just a short 6 months ago that was ME!
The only people that find drunk people funny, are other drunk people. I steer clear of a lot of social gatherings and activities where the primary goal is to drink.
May 20th was 6 years for me
Old 08-06-2018, 07:24 AM   #921 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Wife asked me to quit this weekend. Pretty much the "me and your son, or alcohol" conversation. Had a big bottle of a high ABV beer last night and went to bed. Drank the rest of the Macallan 18 I had on Friday night and passed out on the couch. Woke up today for my morning run and had to walk the last part of it because my stomach was going to explode. I've gone a month or so for diets previously. I don't know how this is different other than I never get the feeling of being drunk again. I'm sure it will come with time.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #922 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
One day at a time.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #923 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41059
Send a message via Yahoo to Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
One day at a time.
That's the truth, sometimes one minute at a time. 8 1/2 years later life is way better not being stuck in that all too easy rut. Just wish I didn't drink away 20+ years of my life.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #924 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
H8DWINGS: I have been there, and it was a shit sandwich for me because in my mind I didn’t have a problem. I went along with it for about a year, then manipulated my way back to drinking like a gentleman. It wasn’t long after that I was doing things as I always had, but also making efforts to conceal my drinking from my wife to avoid another standoff. Lying. Of course that didn’t work either, and we were both miserable.
I eventually managed to get my head out of my ass for a minute to see myself clearly enough to want to quit for my own well being, so I did it again. But this time it was more than abstinence for the fear of consequences, it was recognizing that the unit between my ears was fucked up and I had to do something about it. Am still married and am grateful for every day that I have been sober. Especially today.
Tl, dr: quit for your own reasons if you are serious about it. Feel free to contact me if you like.
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #925 (permalink)

Member # 159257
I'm HOPING to avoid the "hiding it from the wife" kind of thing. I'm not sure about the "drinking like a gentleman" unless I have a HARD limit, if I go back, and stick with it camping, at family functions, or at home. I told her it isn't like I'm going to a bar and driving home. I drank at home and didn't drive or do anything dangerous. She just doesn't want our son to see, and I agree, me passed out on the couch with beer cans/bottles everywhere. Even after she said I could drink all I want Friday and Saturday she changed her mind. My dad quit over 20 years ago. I'm attempting to sell my brewing equipment and reinvest the money into a different hobby. Part of me is afraid I'll get even MORE into fitness (currently run marathons) and do something stupid like get into 50-100 mile races or triathlons because "at least I'm not spending my time drinking beer or passed out on the couch."
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in