I quit drinking - Page 40 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #976 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I feel like this is pretty judgemental. I'm not physically dependent on alcohol to have a good time. I can accomplish plenty without it. I don't get sick when I am not drinking. Just asking what everyone's thoughts on what alcoholism is.

Also writing off someones future or implying there is nowhere to go but down is a little pessimistic, don't you think? For someone who knows little about me you sure cast some bleak forecasts.

"Wow he has 6k posts on Pirate. I always knew he was a nerd that wouldn't ever move out of his mom's basement" How is that statement any different than yours? (not saying I think so, just making a point)

Absolutely. Is there really a problem in this? I drink much more in a social setting than when I'm alone. I just spend a lot more time with friends and neighbors than I do by myself

Can you stop? I mean not drink tonight? How long can you go without it? Whens the last time you went a day without a drink? A week? A month?
Old 08-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #977 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Yeah I show up sore once in awhile, or might miss a weekend event. But I maintain responsibility and do just fine without letting it effect any obligations I have. I enjoy responsibly, stay at home and don't put myself or others at risk while driving intoxicated.

I could go a few days without and sometimes do. I think my biggest issue is I just purchased my first house, which happens to be on a lake of mostly retired folks, and the pontoon boats and golf cart rides tend to become a vicious party cycle

Yeah probably between 10-20 a day is a good guess, I have slower days but usually crank out 8 PBR's or so before I start feeling decent I really don't eat dinner but once or twice a week so that allows me to put a few more back than if I was eating a big meal every night. The bottles aren't really solely me as I will usually share with anyone around if they want, but I stick to PBR because no one else enjoys them

I guess I need to re-evaluate things a bit.. I keep telling myself it's just because it's summer and we are out on the water so much and that winter will be different, who knows
You're LITERALLY in the EXACT same position I was in. Go back to early August (around the 4th I think) and read my posts. Same thing.
"I show up to work. When I drink I don't do anything else. I pay my bills. It's because nothing else is going on" are EXACTLY where I was at. Literally. It's a functional alcoholic. You can go a few days without. good. Make it a month. See how different you feel after not drinking 8 PBRs for a week. Plus you'll have a lot more money to buy food to cook.

EDIT: How responsible is it to show up to work at less than 100%? Was this part of your hiring agreement?
How responsible is it to miss weekend commitments, even if it was to party, because you drank too much the night before? Working on the rig, etc.? How would you feel if you had a friend call and say they can't come because they're hungover? How much fun is it to "power through" stuff (it's not) because you made yourself show up?

Last edited by H8DWINGS; 08-29-2018 at 02:42 PM.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #978 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Quote:
I feel like this is pretty judgemental. I'm not physically dependent on alcohol to have a good time. I can accomplish plenty without it. I don't get sick when I am not drinking. Just asking what everyone's thoughts on what alcoholism is.

Also writing off someones future or implying there is nowhere to go but down is a little pessimistic, don't you think? For someone who knows little about me you sure cast some bleak forecasts.

"Wow he has 6k posts on Pirate. I always knew he was a nerd that wouldn't ever move out of his mom's basement" How is that statement any different than yours? (not saying I think so, just making a point)

Absolutely. Is there really a problem in this? I drink much more in a social setting than when I'm alone. I just spend a lot more time with friends and neighbors than I do by myself
Denial is the first symptom.

I'm just kidding with you.
I think from what you wrote that you just drink a lot. At some point your life will be affected by it, then you will adjust or not. You seem to be honest with yourself, so if you are and can stay that way you'll be okay.
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2018, 02:54 PM   #979 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
You're getting told what people's definition is. Some of those people aren't on this board. People in your life have decided you're an alcoholic without telling you through an anonymous message board.

Quote:
No. You're talking to people who were your age 5+ years ago. They sobered up because their life kept going with the "I don't get sick. I can accomplish plenty. Yeah I show up sore and miss some things though" life. Some of them lost families. Some lost jobs. Some saw OTHERS lose everything and decided to look at themselves hard and long before making a decision about their alcohol consumption.

"
Quote:
Wow he has 6k posts on Pirate. I always knew he was a nerd that wouldn't ever move out of his mom's basement" How is that statement any different than yours? (not saying I think so, just making a point)
Easy, that guy doesn't wheel, OR he has a comfortable job where he can be online. He could also avoid popular social media and hang out here. We aren't saying someone here with 6,000 posts is staying in their basement HOWEVER, if someone had 6,000 posts in 6 months, or a year, people would say they're either REALLY knowledgeable on something or they need to get out more.

"
Quote:
Is there really a problem in this? I drink much more in a social setting than when I'm alone. I just spend a lot more time with friends and neighbors than I do by myself
The problem arises when you're going to hang out with these people TO drink. Not to hang out. It comes back to people telling me how alcohol is 'woven into my daily life" blah blah blah. Yeah, when you hang out with people who usually drink 6 beers a night it isn't a problem. When you hang out with people who drink 6 beers a week and no more than 2 a day, it is different.

Is running 14 miles a day a problem or something you'd want to do? I did it Monday. Some might say I have no life. Some might say I have a problem. I might say it's a better way to spend my time drinking beer with my neighbors, or whatever it is you do while you pound 8 beers on a Tuesday.

Am I saying you need to quit? no. Hell I still remember joking about needing more than a 30 pack after drinking one night. I had a lot of fun. I just know right now I can't do it anymore and it's not worth it. I kind of think it's a waste of time and money. Especially after seeing family members drink as much as they do, seeing how they act (doesn't bother me) and just realize it's how I probably appeared to other people when I thought I was fine. I just might say you could ask someone you don't drink with on a regular basis what they'd consider "too much/a lot" for a casual night and what they might consider "acceptable if you have a ride" for a party/bbq/family get together.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #980 (permalink)

Member # 171282
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bronco460 View Post
Denial is the first symptom.

I'm just kidding with you.
I think from what you wrote that you just drink a lot. At some point your life will be affected by it, then you will adjust or not. You seem to be honest with yourself, so if you are and can stay that way you'll be okay.

Well said :golfclap:
blackdog220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018, 05:38 AM   #981 (permalink)

Member # 604297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
Can you stop? I mean not drink tonight? How long can you go without it? Whens the last time you went a day without a drink? A week? A month?
I believe I could. Last week, Tuesday. Usually try to take at least 1 or 2 days off if I can but that doesn't always work that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
"I show up to work. When I drink I don't do anything else. I pay my bills. It's because nothing else is going on" are EXACTLY where I was at. Literally. It's a functional alcoholic. You can go a few days without. good. Make it a month. See how different you feel after not drinking 8 PBRs for a week. Plus you'll have a lot more money to buy food to cook.

EDIT: How responsible is it to show up to work at less than 100%? Was this part of your hiring agreement?
How responsible is it to miss weekend commitments, even if it was to party, because you drank too much the night before? Working on the rig, etc.? How would you feel if you had a friend call and say they can't come because they're hungover? How much fun is it to "power through" stuff (it's not) because you made yourself show up?
I'll go back and re-read your posts. I should try a trial run of sorts and take a month off some time this winter, see what difference it makes. I'm pretty strong and usually make it through festivities just fine. Maybe a couple times a year do I need to call something off, most notably around a birthday weekend, New Years, etc but that's because those days off are so full of commitments anyway.

I would say that I show up to work feeling as good as anyone else, if not better. I walk my dog 2 miles every morning, get up well before work, etc. I would argue that my personal life has no adverse effects on my performance at work, and I would also agree that if it begins to that there is a HUGE issue there.

I take a great sense of pride in my work, and work ethic. I grew up working in hard manual labor, and paid my way through school while working 50-90 hour weeks. Your work is a reflection on your personal self, and therefor should be treated as such.

Read below for more examples, but I get shit done. I don't just go home and pass out on the couch next to a case. I don't have cable or internet for crying out loud. I spend more time in my garage than I do my house. I never said my life is work, beer, repeat. I still live plenty despite the consumption.

Quote:
You're getting told what people's definition is. Some of those people aren't on this board. People in your life have decided you're an alcoholic without telling you through an anonymous message board.

No. You're talking to people who were your age 5+ years ago. They sobered up because their life kept going with the "I don't get sick. I can accomplish plenty. Yeah I show up sore and miss some things though" life.

Is running 14 miles a day a problem or something you'd want to do? I did it Monday. Some might say I have no life. Some might say I have a problem. I might say it's a better way to spend my time drinking beer with my neighbors, or whatever it is you do while you pound 8 beers on a Tuesday.

Am I saying you need to quit? no. I just might say you could ask someone you don't drink with on a regular basis what they'd consider "too much/a lot" for a casual night and what they might consider "acceptable if you have a ride" for a party/bbq/family get together.
See above response for reference to work and professional life.

The only people in my life that have mentioned alcoholism is you, maybe another user on here, and me when I brought this up. I'm not the neighborhood drunk that passes out in bushes and ruins his life. Sure I'm known as a drinker to certain folks, but you seem to be the one set on the label, not anyone else.

As far as running goes, I've ran 60+ miles a week for over 5 years of my life. All state in quarter mile and half mile all 3 years I ran track in high school, and ran year round at different track meets, etc. Just because you run doesn't mean you have to put the beers down

Again, I'm not known as the guy always inebriated, I don't slurr my words and stumble around the campfire, I remember the nights activities the next morning, etc etc. I don't get blackout or uncapable of controlling myself except for a few rare occasions, if anything I'm usually the one babysitting some people just can't handle themselves after they get some drinks in them, I am not one of those people.

I still make it out into the garage, and fix my shit. I maintain my home that I also pay for, and find time to manage everything. I'm young and a college graduate, so anything I buy is a project, because I can't afford to buy it new. Fine and dandy but projects require a lot more work and maintenance than something off the show room floor.

I'm not sure I agree with asking someone else, because for someone that has never drank before a 6 pack will seem like a lot. If I drink a beer an hour for 6 hours I wouldn't feel a thing. That's not a fair comparison.

All this being said I do appreciate everyone taking the time to read my posts and respond. I was hoping to generate some honest conversation and learn a bit myself. I've learned a lot just reading through this thread and after spending a few evenings looking it over I felt like I needed to get involved in some capacity.

Last edited by Cool Hand Luke; 08-30-2018 at 05:53 AM.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018, 06:06 AM   #982 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:

All this being said I do appreciate everyone taking the time to read my posts and respond. I was hoping to generate some honest conversation and learn a bit myself. I've learned a lot just reading through this thread and after spending a few evenings looking it over I felt like I needed to get involved in some capacity.
That's what matters bro. We all wish you the best.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:29 AM   #983 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Maybe I missed it, but what are you doing with the stock front seats?
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #984 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
I quit chewing cold turkey last October. I don't even think about it.

Need to stop the drinking though. I treat it as my nightly present to myself after working all day/night to chill on the couch and have 2 mix drinks. (1/2 pint of captain generally, I know not much but im a skinny guy.)

But I'm getting older and now I have high BP and I'm not loving the way the BP meds make me feel. Its time to quit for real.

I'm most concerned because its the only thing that puts me to sleep and allows my brain to turn off at night. Otherwise its "who did I need to ship parts too" "what customers project should I work on next" etc.

Last edited by Deuling; 08-30-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #985 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
I believe I could.

I'll go back and re-read your posts. I should try a trial run of sorts and take a month off some time this winter, see what difference it makes. I'm pretty strong and usually make it through festivities just fine. Maybe a couple times a year do I need to call something off, most notably around a birthday weekend, New Years, etc but that's because those days off are so full of commitments anyway.
If you think you can then do it. I'll tell you holidays are HARD times for a first time. I've done it and it's almost easier AFTER December to stop drinking for a month. Mostly because, for me, most people are dieting around that time.

Quote:
The only people in my life that have mentioned alcoholism is you, maybe another user on here, and me when I brought this up. I'm not the neighborhood drunk that passes out in bushes and ruins his life. Sure I'm known as a drinker to certain folks, but you seem to be the one set on the label, not anyone else.

I'm not sure I agree with asking someone else, because for someone that has never drank before a 6 pack will seem like a lot. If I drink a beer an hour for 6 hours I wouldn't feel a thing. That's not a fair comparison.
I'm not set on labeling anything. I'm just saying if you asked someone who doesn't drink they'd call you an alcoholic. If someone asked you if 13 sodas a day was a lot you'd probably say they're a sugar/soda/caffeine addict. You also said you're not going to ask that person so I get it, they aren't going to label you if you don't directly ask them, but they could still label you because they see you drink, or hear you discuss how much you drink. I mean, if someone asked me smoking 2 joints a night was a lot I'd probably label them a pot head. If they told me they smoked a pound a week and another each day on the weekend I'd say they spend a LOT of cash on weed.
I've had the "I can drink 6 beers in 6 hours" conversation and the "well 3 drinks an hour is legal to drive" conversation almost to justify what I'm capable of drinking. As if I'm some how sober enough to legally drive so since I'm not doing it I can drink more, OR that I'm not an alcoholic because society says this is not drunk. It's comparable to saying "I can run 60 miles a week because I can run 10 miles a day whereas you can't because you only run 15 miles a week."

Quote:
As far as running goes, I've ran 60+ miles a week for over 5 years of my life. All state in quarter mile and half mile all 3 years I ran track in high school, and ran year round at different track meets, etc. Just because you run doesn't mean you have to put the beers down

Again, I'm not known as the guy always inebriated, I don't slurr my words and stumble around the campfire, I remember the nights activities the next morning, etc etc. I don't get blackout or uncapable of controlling myself except for a few rare occasions, if anything I'm usually the one babysitting some people just can't handle themselves after they get some drinks in them, I am not one of those people.
Try running 1 mile per beer and tell me how well it goes. Seriously. I'd love to see the Strava/Garmin/GPS data. Just because you don't slur your words, or you're the one baby sitting people doesn't mean you're not a functional alcoholic.

Quote:
Honestly this is kind of the point of pointing towards other thoughts. Again, if you read back through what others told me, my responses, and maybe look at if it applies, or seems similar, to your life it could be a different set of eyes looking forward. It's all honest and I'm honestly telling you it is worth at least looking at, finding a point where (if) you possibly go from "casually drinking" to "I'm drinking to get drunk and party", and seeing how some people just might see what you drink is either a lot, not that much, or about normal.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #986 (permalink)
VEX
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 46417
Huge kudos and congrats to everyone here in this thread sharing with the group!

It's pretty damn amazing that we have created this support here.
It's like an online AA meeting without all the inconvenience of attending in person and listening to a bunch of people with whom you have nothing in common.

I've been to several and it didn't help me all that much. It was tough to drag my ass to a location 15 miles away after a 12 hour day and sit with people that shared the same shit over and over for another few hours.

I knew what I needed to do and that's the key. When YOU are ready is THE only time it's going to stick.
A little history I've already mentioned is that back in my teens through early 20's I was a raging alcoholic and drug addict. You name the drug and I've injected it, ingested it, snorted it, or smoked it. I quit all that shit cold turkey one by one with no outside help. I just knew/realized that it was either going to kill me or land me in a very bad place. 6 months later I got my current job of 25 years now and that keeps all that drug shit in check.
Now would I like to dabble in some smoke now and then...yes. But with way too much to risk I'll wait another 5 years to retire and smoke a joint in celebration.

I quit alcohol cold turkey as well after a realization of great magnitude that lasted for almost two years.
Like I've posted in this thread before I have since been walking that fine line between having just a few beers now and then. I never really got into the hard stuff, but will admit that it's tough to pass up a well made margarita. Not very often though.

Like was mentioned before I may have a beer or two after work and maybe 4 all weekend. I don't keep that much around and sometimes have zero for days on end. Am I flirting with fire?... probably yes.

Do I have the resolve now to keep it in check?... so far.

I get more things done now and my focus with my 'free' time doesn't allow for boredom drinking.

Is this method for everyone?... I dunno. It's your call and only YOU know.

I wish ALL of you the best outcome for YOU!
Quote:
Hey newb. Welcome to PBB. Now STFU.
Credo Quia Absurdum LSD#3
VEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #987 (permalink)

Member # 775873
I knew plenty of functional alcoholics, my dad was one and I might be one too.
Just don't lie to yourself, you know, I can't sit judgement of anyone as I've lived this my whole life.
I don't know where I was going with this but I would not think any less of a man or woman admitting they may need help.
FJC11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #988 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 422178
Quote:
What is everyone's description / definition of an alcoholic? I see people posting saying they are done with a 30 pack or two/week, and I'm over here thinking I'll go through that in a work week alone, not to mention another 50-60 beers and a bottle or two on the weekend.. I'm 24 and I am constantly on time to work, I have a college degree, make all payments, etc.

I have never considered myself an alcoholic just a professional good timer. I don't think I plan on quitting anytime soon and have never really thought about it as a problem until reading this thread. Sure my friends and I will joke about it on a Saturday morning or something after a long evening or weekend but that's about the extent of it.

I am single with no family so that might be a part of it.

Thoughts?
I've been sober for 13 years last March. What I was taught as a general definition of an alcoholic is this: If you can control your drinking and enjoy yourself, you're probably not an alcoholic. When I controlled my drinking, I didn't enjoy it. When I enjoyed my drinking, I was out of control. My 2 cents

-1941 slatt grill
-1944 GPW
-1946 2A
-1948 2A
-1951 M38
-1954 diesel 3B
thefixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #989 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 109268
Spent the last couple days reading this thread. This month marks 2 years sober for me. Congrats to everyone that is or is trying to get sober. Best decision I ever made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Local12hand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018, 11:03 AM   #990 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEX View Post
I get more things done now and my focus with my 'free' time doesn't allow for boredom drinking.
I'm in this same boat. I have started a few projects while sober I can finish later such as buying parts at 8:00 pm because I haven't drank 6 beers so I can drive to the store. It's nice waking up not feeing like trash anymore too.

40 days? 41 days? depends how you count it. I "quit" August 6 so is that day 1 or is August 7 actually day 1 because August 6 is the start and we all start at zero? The weird shit I think about now hahahaha!

I have a HORRIBLE sweet tooth. Seriously. Dr. Pepper and La Croix mixed with Gatorade are my friends. Monsters. Ice Cream. wife doesn't seem to care too much. I haven't had withdrawal and actually joked "you only have an 8 beers for 3 people...you're going to need more" when I had family members over. Wife joked "there are 3 in the fridge. we're good."

I still wonder about the "casual drinking" since I assume my wife, at some point, will tell me it's okay if I have a few. It's almost like a record or "streak" of how long I can go. Kind of impresses people but it's easy to "hide" since I have a marathon in October I'm running and I can tell people I'm down like 10 lbs.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #991 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Good job H8DWINGS, keep it up!

How you count your days is only going to matter to YOU. For me, my last drink was on 1/15, so 1/16 was day 1 for me. I know for some that don't have a problem, they roll their eyes at the whole "counting days/weeks/months/years" thing, for me, it's just another way to hold myself accountable. It also reinforces the ODAAT, as each day I get to notch another victory. I also make a note of the "small" milestones for myself- whether that's a month milestone (1 month, 3 month, etc.) or a day milestone (100, 150, 200, etc). I just looked at my calendar and just realized something pretty cool, at least in my world!

9/21 will be day 250 for me, that also happens to be my oldest daughters 20th birthday. No way I could have ever planned that, but it won't be something I forget any time soon.

I think the sweet tooth is pretty common, as you have eliminated a pretty big source of sugar with the removal of alcohol...

I can't comment on the casual drinking, the post by "thefixxer" summed it up really good for me:
"When I controlled my drinking, I didn't enjoy it. When I enjoyed my drinking, I was out of control."

Why do you have to "hide" your decision? I have yet to come across anyone that was not supportive of MY decision.

VEX- awesome post and thanks for sharing again. I agree, I think it's really cool and amazing that this thread exists.

To everyone else- thanks for the support and sharing your stories, great job to those that continue to fight the fight.
COcamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #992 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcamper View Post
Why do you have to "hide" your decision? I have yet to come across anyone that was not supportive of MY decision.
I guess telling people "my wife asked me to pick between alcohol or her and my son" isn't a conversation I want to have with many people other than her.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #993 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
I guess telling people "my wife asked me to pick between alcohol or her and my son" isn't a conversation I want to have with many people other than her.
I don't blame you one bit, that is a conversation that doesn't need to be had with anyone else.

I guess I never really thought about it much, as the VERY few times I've been asked "Why" over the last 8+ months, a simple "I'm not drinking" was more than enough for most people. The times someone has probed farther, is usually the next time we cross paths and I tell them again "I'm not drinking". This usually leads to a pretty good conversation- how long have you not drank, how long do you plan to not drink, then the why might come out. At that point I just tell them it was time for me to step back and evaluate things. I have yet to have one of these conversations not end with something along the lines of: "good job man, keep it up, that's awesome, I should do that, etc.".

I guess my point is, I have yet to find ANYONE that has a problem with ME not drinking.
COcamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018, 09:20 PM   #994 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Quote:
...I guess my point is, I have yet to find ANYONE that has a problem with ME not drinking.
A few of my buddies Iíve known since grade school had a problem with me thinking I had a problem.
One employer said he couldnít trust me because I wouldnít drink with him.
These are people whom I would help if they asked, but donít associate with any more. Their values are different from mine, and Iím comfortable with mine. I donít exclude anyone from my life because of the fact that they drink alcohol.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #995 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:

I guess I never really thought about it much, as the VERY few times I've been asked "Why" over the last 8+ months, a simple "I'm not drinking" was more than enough for most people. The times someone has probed farther, is usually the next time we cross paths and I tell them again "I'm not drinking". This usually leads to a pretty good conversation- how long have you not drank, how long do you plan to not drink, then the why might come out.

I guess my point is, I have yet to find ANYONE that has a problem with ME not drinking.
The funny thing is I noticed the same thing and it's been just over a month. Te "why" was convenient as my race was 2 months out and I've cut alcohol for marathons before. Now the "why" kind of becomes "well it's been this long...why not see how far I can go?" and people are usually 'impressed' or supportive.

One thing I noticed is how easy it is to still hang out after saying no to a drink. I guess I was expecting more peer pressure or something. Only ONE person seemed SLIGHTLY upset/bothered by me not drinking and I think it was more because they bought/brought beer I like to share and I wasn't sharing it. Not a "I don't want to hang out with a sober person" bothered. I also noticed I kind of enjoy hanging out with people drinking as much as I did before. I will laugh at the same stupid shit I did when I was drinking yet still drive the 45 minutes to get home. This weekend the wife is doing a bar crawl. The only "problem" she might encounter as far as a ride home is her ride home might be passed out in bed at 10:00 on a Saturday night because he is an OLD MAN.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #996 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
"Know what I don't trust? Farts and burps. Those can be messy."
Old 09-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #997 (permalink)

Member # 117969
First I want to say, congrats to anyone that has changed their life and stop revolving around alcohol.

I had a biological father who was an alcoholic. To many bad memories of him when I was a kid and glad he's not in my life anymore. Choose alcohol over his family.

I was always afraid I would have a gene that would make me crave something (alcohol, tobacco, etc) but I'm not into tobacco products (Grandfather died of lung cancer from cigarette smoking) and though I like drinking, go weeks/months with nothing. Don't think about it. Now I'll drink a few in the garage or while at the BBQ grilling up some food.

I'll drink socially with others and don't mind cutting loose on a friday after work. But it's not every Friday. I have a few friends that will pick up a 12 or case every day after work and can not function unless they drink everyday. To the point their hands will start shaking.

But for those that have quit because it was running your lives, congrats. I cut out sugars/carbs for a diet my wife wanted to do and you don't realize how hard that is until you have to focus on just how much sugars and carbs there are out there. My body kinda went into tired mode for awhile and constantly thinking, "Damn that cookie looks good"

Lost 25lbs and have been maintaining that on a normal diet again. I cut out beer for awhile as well and it helped in losing weight. Summer time weekends usually involve drinking a few on the river or by the pool.

Good will power on all of you to stay towards your goals.

Last edited by -jb-; 09-20-2018 at 10:54 AM.
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #998 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
A few of my buddies Iíve known since grade school had a problem with me thinking I had a problem.
A loooong time ago, I used to feel like I didn't really know/trust someone until I'd gotten drunk with them.

Now I think I just wanted affirmation that they were as fucked up as I was.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #999 (permalink)
2JZ

Member # 684802
Ive browsed this thread for a while. Always wondered when I'd post up. Feels like a good time.

I have been a daily drinker (vodka/whiskey) for 15-20 years. I don't get pass out drunk, but do have a few drinks a night. Whiskey on the rocks lately. Its not a lot (compared to some here), but amounts to a 750ml bottle every 3 days. Always in the evening after dinner. In the last month I think Ive only missed 3 days.

The voice in my head says "hey you don't really drink that much compared to many other people" and "Its probably not why you feel like shit all the time". But I know that amount of alcohol is bad. ANY alcohol is bad. I know that, but just keep drinking every night.

So last night I was exhausted after a long day at work, and crashed out early. So Ive already got one day under my belt. Gonna try for two.

I am really afraid to quit for good. I do enjoy it, and have never gotten in trouble with alcohol, but at this point I'd really just like to give it up during the week, and enjoy a few on Fri/Sat. I know I'd feel better overall. I also know I should give it up for good. We'll see. At this point I'm just shooting for 48 hours with no alcohol.

I hope that posting here will make me feel somewhat accountable for my actions. Its easy just to sit back with some ice cold Knob Creek and read your posts, and say I'll start tomorrow....
Old 09-20-2018, 06:23 PM   #1000 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZ View Post
Ive browsed this thread for a while. Always wondered when I'd post up. Feels like a good time.

I have been a daily drinker (vodka/whiskey) for 15-20 years. I don't get pass out drunk, but do have a few drinks a night. Whiskey on the rocks lately. Its not a lot (compared to some here), but amounts to a 750ml bottle every 3 days. Always in the evening after dinner. In the last month I think Ive only missed 3 days.

The voice in my head says "hey you don't really drink that much compared to many other people" and "Its probably not why you feel like shit all the time". But I know that amount of alcohol is bad. ANY alcohol is bad. I know that, but just keep drinking every night.

So last night I was exhausted after a long day at work, and crashed out early. So Ive already got one day under my belt. Gonna try for two.

I am really afraid to quit for good. I do enjoy it, and have never gotten in trouble with alcohol, but at this point I'd really just like to give it up during the week, and enjoy a few on Fri/Sat. I know I'd feel better overall. I also know I should give it up for good. We'll see. At this point I'm just shooting for 48 hours with no alcohol.

I hope that posting here will make me feel somewhat accountable for my actions. Its easy just to sit back with some ice cold Knob Creek and read your posts, and say I'll start tomorrow....
You can do this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in