I quit drinking - Page 41 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #1001 (permalink)
VEX
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 46417
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZ View Post
Ive browsed this thread for a while. Always wondered when I'd post up. Feels like a good time.

I have been a daily drinker (vodka/whiskey) for 15-20 years. I don't get pass out drunk, but do have a few drinks a night. Whiskey on the rocks lately. Its not a lot (compared to some here), but amounts to a 750ml bottle every 3 days. Always in the evening after dinner. In the last month I think Ive only missed 3 days.

The voice in my head says "hey you don't really drink that much compared to many other people" and "Its probably not why you feel like shit all the time". But I know that amount of alcohol is bad. ANY alcohol is bad. I know that, but just keep drinking every night.

So last night I was exhausted after a long day at work, and crashed out early. So Ive already got one day under my belt. Gonna try for two.

I am really afraid to quit for good. I do enjoy it, and have never gotten in trouble with alcohol, but at this point I'd really just like to give it up during the week, and enjoy a few on Fri/Sat. I know I'd feel better overall. I also know I should give it up for good. We'll see. At this point I'm just shooting for 48 hours with no alcohol.

I hope that posting here will make me feel somewhat accountable for my actions. Its easy just to sit back with some ice cold Knob Creek and read your posts, and say I'll start tomorrow....
Congratulations on your decision! That's huge.

I agree that AA meetings are designed to hold you accountable for your actions, and that doesn't always work for everyone. However, this thread acts in the same way I believe, and probably better because this no BS forum kicks it up a notch and it seems a higher level of accountability IMO.

It's on the honor system obviously but no less effective as everyone will be called on their bullshit should it be warranted. People I met in AA meetings didn't have my respect like those on this board. I have no idea why.

The fact that so many here have been following along thinking, 'I might need to re-evaluate my relationship with alcohol', and subsequently following through with posting, speaks volumes that it's working.

The fact that anyone has been reading and follows along is proof that they realize THEMSELVES that there needs to be a reboot on their relationship with alcohol. Be it never again, or taking a break and finding how you will adapt to less consumption, it's all good.

Everyone is different.

Unlike others who have shared, I quit counting the days after a few months.
To me it just seemed like I was reliving the thoughts that I needed to get away from drinking in a negative way, and not treating it like a lifestyle. Which it needed to become.

Similar to weight loss, You count every calorie and beat yourself up for every pound. Once you hit your target weight you quit most of that brain noise and subsequently it becomes your new lifestyle. That's where everyone here needs to be with alcohol and however long it takes for you to reach that point, is how long you need to do whatever you need to do and feel comfortable doing.

Keep on keeping on everyone! Your new self and lifestyle is yours for the taking.
Quote:
Hey newb. Welcome to PBB. Now STFU.
Credo Quia Absurdum LSD#3
VEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2018, 03:38 AM   #1002 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Ive browsed this thread for a while. Always wondered when I'd post up. Feels like a good time.

I have been a daily drinker (vodka/whiskey) for 15-20 years. I don't get pass out drunk, but do have a few drinks a night. Whiskey on the rocks lately. Its not a lot (compared to some here), but amounts to a 750ml bottle every 3 days. Always in the evening after dinner. In the last month I think Ive only missed 3 days.

The voice in my head says "hey you don't really drink that much compared to many other people" and "Its probably not why you feel like shit all the time". But I know that amount of alcohol is bad. ANY alcohol is bad. I know that, but just keep drinking every night.

So last night I was exhausted after a long day at work, and crashed out early. So Ive already got one day under my belt. Gonna try for two.

I am really afraid to quit for good. I do enjoy it, and have never gotten in trouble with alcohol, but at this point I'd really just like to give it up during the week, and enjoy a few on Fri/Sat. I know I'd feel better overall. I also know I should give it up for good. We'll see. At this point I'm just shooting for 48 hours with no alcohol.

I hope that posting here will make me feel somewhat accountable for my actions. Its easy just to sit back with some ice cold Knob Creek and read your posts, and say I'll start tomorrow....
Kind of how I felt for a while. 48 hours becomes 60 then it becomes the weeeknd. I can say it hurts more after being off it and going back than sticking with it. I think itís because you forget what it feels like to wake up or sleep normal. Itís kind of fun, for me, to keep track of the days. Almost like a fund raiser where you fill a giant thermometer drawing as you get closer to the goal, but in reverse.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #1003 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
How'd it go?
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #1004 (permalink)

Member # 159257
7 weeks today. It's kind of boring now lol. Wasn't even a question when I was at a family dinner last night. Kind of miss it at times like all the beer I still have and was saving for a series, special day, or sharing. Part of me would allow myself to drink 1 bottle/beer a night or start sharing what I have with friends/special occasions. Part of me wants to see how long I could go before the big "break down" and how THAT goes. Part of me likes having extra cash to buy new tools I don't NEED but since the money isn't going to beer it can go to stuff that will last longer and won't break when I drop it.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #1005 (permalink)

Member # 159257
61 days sober. Had some beer after a marathon. It was nice waking up for this long. I am going to try the "social drinking" thing and the "put your limit on the fridge door" thing to see how it goes.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:46 AM   #1006 (permalink)

Member # 181491
Drinking actually became a big problem for me.

My whole life I was never into drinking or taking drugs.

It really surprised me that I got into it so much.

I was a daily drinker (all day every day) for close to the last 10 years.

2+ years ago I quit liquor and that made a positive difference just in the way I maintained. I was easier to be around, I got more stuff done, but I stayed 'buzzed' and very overweight.

I had finally had enough last October and made the decision to quit 100%

It has been a YEAR now, I haven't had anything to drink at all.

I was really concerned about taking the boat out this Summer as I loved to hang out parked in a cove and knock back beers all day.

I took the boat out at least 10 times and didn't have even a sip of beer.

I have lost 80 lbs (yes 80 fucking pounds), I feel so much better.

I have gotten so much done around the property. I always kept it mowed and tidy but never put work into it. Well this year I transformed it. I cleared out new areas, built tons of stuff using natural rocks and shit. Honestly, my property looks amazing.

I doubt I will go the rest of my life without ever having another drink again, but if and when I have another drink, it is going to be for some type of special event.

My life has gotten much better since I stopped drinking.
crispins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #1007 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Great job Crispins, keep it up!

My update- today is 9 months without a drop. I too have gotten a lot of shit done that otherwise would have been put off.

Will be heading up to elk camp in a couple of weeks. It will be a little different, ok, a lot different, not drinking with the guys up there. I can already tell you I'm looking forward to the mornings though!!

I've had many great things happen in my life over the past 9 months, and each and every one of them were a result of ME putting the bottle away.

To all those fighting the war, each day is a new battle that you can win.
COcamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #1008 (permalink)

Member # 684754
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcamper View Post
Great job Crispins, keep it up!

My update- today is 9 months without a drop. I too have gotten a lot of shit done that otherwise would have been put off.

Will be heading up to elk camp in a couple of weeks. It will be a little different, ok, a lot different, not drinking with the guys up there. I can already tell you I'm looking forward to the mornings though!!

I've had many great things happen in my life over the past 9 months, and each and every one of them were a result of ME putting the bottle away.

To all those fighting the war, each day is a new battle that you can win.
congrats! I'm 5 yrs in. I was worried about camping and hunting trips too. what part of CO are you in??
RMKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #1009 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMKrawler View Post
congrats! I'm 5 yrs in. I was worried about camping and hunting trips too. what part of CO are you in??
Thanks!

I'm not too "worried" about the upcoming elk hunt, actually looking forward to remembering all the little details from the night before!

I'm south of Denver in the Parker area. Have family and friends all over the state.

Edit- just saw in another post that you are up in the foothills. I grew up in Evergreen and get up there every once in a while to see friends. Still have friends all over the area. We used to go to the old Troutdale Hotel when it was still standing, that was always an interesting time...

Last edited by COcamper; 10-15-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #1010 (permalink)

Member # 114810
2 years today.
When I quit 2 years seemed impossible. It went by faster than I imagined.

Congrats to all that are counting days, weeks and years.
engnmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #1011 (permalink)

Member # 159257
I think I'm going to try going back on the wagon Monday. I discussed "social" drinking with the wife and she said I wasn't sticking to it. It's true. I'm limiting myself to 4 or 5 a night and trying to be truthful about how drunk I am, but waking up is different now than before. Plus I'm sure it's packed a few more pounds on.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #1012 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by engnmonkey View Post
2 years today.
Sincere congrat's.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #1013 (permalink)

Member # 181491
Quote:
Originally Posted by engnmonkey View Post
2 years today.
When I quit 2 years seemed impossible. It went by faster than I imagined.

Congrats to all that are counting days, weeks and years.
Awesome, I am 2 days away from my 1st full year, kinda surprised at how fast it went as well.

Today I went for a long strenuous hike that was a few miles uphill, I had no issues doing it, I never could have done that back when i was drinking.
crispins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #1014 (permalink)

Member # 2482
It’s funny how times flies. I realized the other day it’s been 10 years since I quit drinking. I’m on my 3rd fixer upper house, have built numerous rigs and trucks. I don’t miss being hung over or not being able to drive home after wheeling all day.

Last edited by GloNDark; 10-19-2018 at 08:03 PM.
GloNDark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #1015 (permalink)

Member # 36
Congrats to all the quitters!
I quit years ago and it was the single most best thing that I did for myself.
Today I have 28 years 10 months and 5 days!
I have an app on my phone,"Clean time counter", to keep track of the time.
I was always getting in trouble and drinking was my lifestyle. That has changed since I quit.
It is so true to change that lifestyle if you are serious of really quitting.
Just one day at a time for me. Keep on keeping on!
Old 10-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #1016 (permalink)

Member # 182157
Hey There,

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyrunner View Post
Congrats to all the quitters!
I quit years ago and it was the single most best thing that I did for myself.
Today I have 28 years 10 months and 5 days!
I have an app on my phone,"Clean time counter", to keep track of the time.
I was always getting in trouble and drinking was my lifestyle. That has changed since I quit.
It is so true to change that lifestyle if you are serious of really quitting.
Just one day at a time for me. Keep on keeping on!
Your comment about the single best thing you ever did for yourself rings true for me. Without a doubt, quitting alcohol is the best thing I ever did for myself (and everyone around me), and I am forever grateful and humbled by the ability to make it happen.

Every really stupid thing I ever did was done while drunk or drinking. I'm far from perfect now; but, I am still proud.

It is honestly a day-by-day work in progress. I have so many memories of things I wish I hadn't done that it's probably easier for me than a lot of people.

It's been about 22 years and 5 months... and a day at a time.

Good luck to everyone that makes this choice.

Jeff
Jeff09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2018, 04:04 AM   #1017 (permalink)
Mr. Lucky

Member # 84122
15 days and counting.
Goldie Locks is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #1018 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie Locks View Post
15 days and counting.
Woot!
Old 10-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #1019 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
In this coming January it will be 18 years for me. I can't even imagine going back to drinking. I'm really enjoying being sober.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #1020 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Thanks to the long time quitters for chiming in. I, and I'm sure others, appreciate your input and your support. For those that are 1 hour in, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, etc. Keep on keeping on, you aren't alone and each day is a new day.

I have numerous quotes printed and hanging on the wall in my garage (where space allows!), the two that I read/see most often:
- ODAAT (One Day At A Time)
- The best apology is changed behavior

Somewhat related to those two quotes- I caught a really cool piece on TV yesterday that really resonated with me and I'm sure others that saw it. It was an interview with Kirk Cousins, a quarterback in the NFL. I have no idea why the TV was even on, what channel it was on, or the context behind the interview. But for some reason I stopped and watched... I can't find the clip online but here is the cliff notes version:

He calculated out how many months he had to live- kind of morbid, but he picked the ripe age of 90. Working backwards from 90 to his current age, he calculated that to be 720 months. He then collected 720 rocks (I suppose this could be anything, but rocks are generally cheap and plentiful) and put those in a container. At the beginning of each month, he takes a rock out and that rock is with him for the month. At the beginning of the next month a new rock comes out. The old rock can't go back in the container- it's gone; much like that month of your life is gone. The point is simple- make the most of each and every moment knowing that once it's gone, it's not coming back...
Old 10-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #1021 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
I watched a pod cast with Tucker Carlson in it. He said he is a former drinker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2018, 05:08 AM   #1022 (permalink)
Mr. Lucky

Member # 84122
Old 11-27-2018, 09:41 PM   #1023 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
3,652 days = ten years today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2018, 10:02 PM   #1024 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 109268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
3,652 days = ten years today.
Congrats.

Local12hand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2018, 05:42 AM   #1025 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
I think I'm going to try going back on the wagon Monday. I discussed "social" drinking with the wife and she said I wasn't sticking to it. It's true. I'm limiting myself to 4 or 5 a night and trying to be truthful about how drunk I am, but waking up is different now than before. Plus I'm sure it's packed a few more pounds on.
I realized that "social drinking" wouldn't work for me, so I flat out quit. That was almost 18 years ago and I'm still sober. I'm very happy being sober.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in