I quit drinking - Page 45 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2018, 05:53 AM   #1101 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Yeah it kind of sucks when no one cares if you’re drinking or not. It also makes me wonder if no one cares about that would they care if I quit. I realized I haven’t stopped drinking to make someone’s else proud. I do it to make ME proud. Kind of like bragging I have a sweet crawler (I don’t got shit) and all my buddies have stock trucks they sometimes take down a dirt road.

My sister in law said she is on the wagon with me (7 days) and I to,d her there isn’t enough room for the two of us. Holidays isn’t the time to be sobering up with family and what not. She started talking about some rough stuff she is going through and I told her “I know where you can find the answers. In the bottom of a bottle.” She knew I was joking. Especially when she said 7 days and I said “that’s nothing. You could start right back up no problem. Call me when you’re at 14 days.” Again, she knew I was joking. Mostly because last time she fell off the wagon for some social drinking with friends and my wife gave her a (sisterly) hard time.

Edit: maybe Wednesday would be a good night to try and sober up. Day three, depending how you count, would be the weekend and Christmas is right there so you could maybe get through the insomnia you mentioned before.

Last edited by H8DWINGS; 12-18-2018 at 05:55 AM.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #1102 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73602
I stopped drinking in 94. Outpatient program and AA, it wasnít easy. The first year was the toughest, I went to a whole lot of meetings. I havenít wanted to drink in a very long time.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #1103 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
I finally found something that actually makes me sleepy other than booze.

They are cbd capsules from a company called hemp bombs... Says "No THC" and no failed drug tests. Funny thing is they came from a liquor store and not a smoke shop lol.

I've tried a bunch of different cbd oils and stuff and nothing ever did anything. But I will say these make me tired as hell and im gonna keep trying them for a bit. They show $14.95 for a 5 pack on line, but they had them for like $6.85 at the store...

I wont touch prescriptions for things like sleeping, but ill totally rock this stuff. Made my headache go away too and slept like a baby the last two nights.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #1104 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuling View Post
They show $14.95 for a 5 pack on line
Link please.

Been using CBD/THC gummies for a while to help me sleep; they definitely work.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #1105 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Link please.

Like I said, these were $6.85 for the same packet at the store on a display. Not sure id pay $15 for them though.

https://hempbombs.com/product/hemp-b...-cbd-capsules/
Old 12-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #1106 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Link please.

How does it compare to nyquil/sleepquill/other sleep aids? Pass out for 10 hours or just fade into a nice long nap? Ever taken one mid day or other than at night?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #1107 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
How does it compare to nyquil/sleepquill/other sleep aids? Pass out for 10 hours or just fade into a nice long nap? Ever taken one mid day or other than at night?
I took one 15mg before going to the shop and then I spent 2 hours wishing I had stayed home and slept lol

But my issue sleeping isn't ever going all night, its getting my brain to shut off so I can fall asleep initially.

But yeah id say its gone after a few hours.

They do make stronger ones in 25mg, or they suggest taking 2 on the instructions. Ive only tried 1 at a time though.

Last edited by Deuling; 12-19-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #1108 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Just makes you sleepy, like you're supposed to naturally get in the evening. Takes over an hour to kick in, so I eat it right after dinner. Effects only last 2-4 hours, but still seems to make the whole night's sleep better. I've thought about eating another one when I wake up in the middle of the night but so far haven't bothered.

Tried one in the middle of the afternoon once while I was drinking (yeah, I know this is the "I quit" thread), didn't do much besides maybe accentuate the buzz. You could definitely take one during the day if you're just looking to relax.

Definitely NOT like nyquil type stuff. IH8 that shit.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #1109 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuling View Post
Like I said, these were $6.85 for the same packet at the store on a display. Not sure id pay $15 for them though.

https://hempbombs.com/product/hemp-b...-cbd-capsules/
Thanks; just curious about the dosage/brand.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #1110 (permalink)

Member # 169788
To all my fellow quitters and those that want to cut back- stay strong during the holidays!

Over the past 8 days or so- I've buried a very good friend (fawk cancer) and found out my brother-in-law has an aggressive cancerous tumor in his chest and will start some pretty serious chemo right after the holidays (fawk cancer). Today my daughter is going in for a biopsy for an abnormal lump after all other tests couldn't figure out what it was, waiting for those results is going to be hell...

If I needed an excuse to have a drink to try to unwind/calm the nerves, I've got a few, but I will not give alcohol the satisfaction of winning this battle.

The highlight of those past 8 days: 12/15 was 11 months without booze for me. So as I mourn the loss of a friend, wonder what the future might hold for my BIL, and pray that all is well with my daughter, I know there is ONE thing I have control over, and dammit, I will keep control of that.
COcamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #1111 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcamper View Post
To all my fellow quitters and those that want to cut back- stay strong during the holidays!

Over the past 8 days or so- I've buried a very good friend (fawk cancer) and found out my brother-in-law has an aggressive cancerous tumor in his chest and will start some pretty serious chemo right after the holidays (fawk cancer). Today my daughter is going in for a biopsy for an abnormal lump after all other tests couldn't figure out what it was, waiting for those results is going to be hell...

If I needed an excuse to have a drink to try to unwind/calm the nerves, I've got a few, but I will not give alcohol the satisfaction of winning this battle.

The highlight of those past 8 days: 12/15 was 11 months without booze for me. So as I mourn the loss of a friend, wonder what the future might hold for my BIL, and pray that all is well with my daughter, I know there is ONE thing I have control over, and dammit, I will keep control of that.
Shit news, and I hope for the best. But hell yeah man, keep at it.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:39 PM   #1112 (permalink)

Member # 73160
I quit for 3 years, 2010-2013. Decided to have just one, and we all know how that goes. I was running marathons and in great shape when sober. Now I'm fat again and have decided to get my shit together...again. Thanks for all who have posted as it reminds me of the freedom of sobriety. On day 3 with no plans of going back.
fireLt. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #1113 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcamper View Post

This is kind of what keeps me going. Saying I'm beating it doesn't matter but saying how LONG I've made it MY bitch seems to. I actually had a random ass dream last night that I had a drink with some friends and thought, in my dream, "yeah two weeks is good. I'm fine. Plus it's just this one drink because it's special." because a bottle of Weller Special Reserve (unavailable here) actually arrived at my doorstep (thanks Pirate 4x4).

The dream was the weird thing because when I woke up I was thinking how easy it would be to cheers at Christmas or New Years. It also reminded me of food dreams I had during Whole 30. At least I'm still spending money on liquor I might not drink so the wasteful spending is still there.

fireLt. There is a marathon just outside Vegas at the end of April. Revel Mt, Charleston. Winter is apparently a GREAT time to train for a marathon. I think it helps us stay warm or something. I'll talk running all day long and if you want encouragement I can direct you to some non-pirate like running forums.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #1114 (permalink)

Member # 75858
I've never been much of a drinker and have never had any addiction tendencies. Reading what some of you are going through is mind boggling. This forum is more enlightening on what alcohol does to a person than anything I've ever understood. I wish all of you the very best through this Christmas season and encourage all of you to stay strong to your convictions.

I can't say "been there, done that" but I can say that people you don't even know are pulling for you to kick the demon.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #1115 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rhino View Post
I've never been much of a drinker and have never had any addiction tendencies. Reading what some of you are going through is mind boggling. This forum is more enlightening on what alcohol does to a person than anything I've ever understood. I wish all of you the very best through this Christmas season and encourage all of you to stay strong to your convictions.

I can't say "been there, done that" but I can say that people you don't even know are pulling for you to kick the demon.

Merry Christmas!
This is a very open and honest thread, no doubt.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #1116 (permalink)

Member # 67823
Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rhino View Post

Merry Christmas!

Damn right. It was a good spot for me to be accountable for my behaviour once, and I'm grateful for that. I'm by no means sober now, but I'm back to how I want to be with alcohol, one or two beer, one or two nights a week. And no trying to drown emotional shit.

To those of you who are struggling with actual addiction...keep up the good fight.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #1117 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
This is a very open and honest thread, no doubt.
#1 reason I try to keep it going and post when I fail. It's like AA but I can go to a meeting whenever I want, tell my story, and not worry about some random asshole bumping into me at the store asking me 20 questions about why I walk the beer aisle saying "oh yeah that's a good one. Oh they got that here now too? sweet." then keep walking.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:09 AM   #1118 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Everyone make it through the holidays?
Old 12-26-2018, 05:20 AM   #1119 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:
Everyone make it through the holidays?

Holidays isn't over yet.

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #1120 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
Holidays isn't over yet.
True but I didn't know what else to say to quickly bump the post. I guess New Years is a big day to drink, or recover I should say, for a lot of people. I'm mixed on "celebrating" ALMOST a month sober with a drink or just letting this thing ride it out. Smelled some Crown X.O. the other night. Smelled smoother than usual crown. Almost a maple syrup sweetness but not the fake stuff.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #1121 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
There’s always a crowd of new faces at AA meetings and the gym right after New Years. They mostly fade away within a month.
78bronco460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #1122 (permalink)

Member # 110516
Thank you for this thread and those that have posted in it.
KDXSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2018, 10:36 PM   #1123 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Probably because everyone quits until it’s fun and they think they have it under control.

I wanted some drinks tonight. Knock the edge off. Shitty day at work (written up) and I’m seen as critical of everything (I am) so it doesn’t matter what I say. I’ve felt like my boss has been looking for reasons to write me up and finally got one. The shitty thing is I can’t tell HER boss why I’m miserable or not working because I’m too critical (hard to manage, a problem) so having a few (6) beers (7-9%) would just make the bullshit go away and remind me why I need to shut the fuck up.

Yeah I know not too bad compared to some but fuck it would have been easy to drown my sorrows. Wife had to hear me bitch (daily occurrence) and with a 1 year old I can’t be 25 and look for a new job with lower pay. I actually NEED a job but sobriety would have been easy to crush for a night and start over tomorrow. $60 bottle of Bourbon just sitting above the fridge untouched. Never even had what’s in it before.

Mostly I’m pissed I can’t sleep. At least alcohol made me sleepy. I asked the wife if I could drink the bottle and she said no. ‘How about half? No...a third?’ Something about it will hurt tomorrow or something. I don’t know. I block out the bad stuff these days. Lmao!
Old 12-28-2018, 03:31 AM   #1124 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
I've posted a couple times in this thread. I've succeeded.....and failed more than a few times.

I'm not going to fib and say I'm sober, because I'm not 100%. But for the last 4 months I've brought myself down to near nothing. During these 4 months I've consumed probably what I would have downed in 4 nights. Not perfect...but a vast improvement. I made some bad choices back in August. After some serious reflection, I know what contributed to those choices. So, I made a change.

I appreciate reading others stories. Sometimes it's hard to come here and face the music. Lots of courage here. Keep it up - whatever your journey is.
nofender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2018, 04:06 AM   #1125 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Maybe the title is intimidating. I QUIT drinking. Maybe it should be ‘i quit drinking SO MUCH’ but that isn’t as appealing. I haven’t ever gone 4 months sober since I could buy alcohol. Heck, probably haven’t for the last 18 years.

Edit: 24 days. Stopped Dec 4 and I am sometimes greatful I can show up to work feeling 100%, not "100 percent".

Last edited by H8DWINGS; 12-28-2018 at 07:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in