I quit drinking - Page 47 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #1151 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian468 View Post
11 days, today was rough, one of my supposed best friends pushed me to the point we started brawling trying to get a beer in me, maybe he just misses me paying his bar tabs...
You're in double digits, but keep doing today and you'll be fine. It sucks to have friends get sideways about your sobriety, but if they're real friends they'll support you when they figure out you're serious about it. Some will see a change and want to see you succeed, some will avoid you like the plague. Most of my friends from the drinking days are long gone.
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #1152 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Day 1...again for the umpteenth time. Finding stuff to do other than sit on the couch is getting challenging. Staining a few pieces of wood doesn't take very long each night. Maybe I should count DOWN instead of up. "Hey Google/Siri how many days are in 25 years?" since I think that's how long my father has made it.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #1153 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
Day 1...again for the umpteenth time. Finding stuff to do other than sit on the couch is getting challenging. Staining a few pieces of wood doesn't take very long each night. Maybe I should count DOWN instead of up. "Hey Google/Siri how many days are in 25 years?" since I think that's how long my father has made it.
I know I am constantly finding or creating projects to work on to keep me busy. There is some truth to the saying: "Idle hands are the devil's workshop".
I even dusted off my old Playstation2 and played a game of Madden 2005 football the other night! I was surprised the thing still worked, and I think I spent more time looking at the rosters from 14-15 years ago than I did actually playing the game.

As you said just yesterday, you can't get to day 2 without getting through day 1, so start with today and don't worry about day 2, or your birthday 3 months out, or any other day down the road.

Brian468- great job and keep on keeping on! Your buddy will never admit it, but I'd be willing to bet there is a slight bit of jealousy on his end that you decided to set the bottle down, yet your world didn't stop. Great job and keep it up, you will find that those around you will start to notice that you have a different outlook, one they at first can't understand, then become envious of. That is something that only you can control and no one can ever take that away from you.
COcamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #1154 (permalink)
GiS

Member # 31285
I saw this book released last week .. might be worth checking out.

Rock Posse Racing #686
Driver: Joey Weber
GiS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #1155 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
Same type would fix you an alcoholic mixed drink intentionally when you tell him how long you e been sober, let you drink it then laugh at your misfortune.
Damn straight. Fuck that.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #1156 (permalink)

Member # 12454
Send a message via AIM to TatonkaII
You guys who use to drink on the regular, how are you quitting and getting any sleep? I swear I toss and turn and stay up all night.

Last edited by TatonkaII; 01-08-2019 at 01:03 PM.
TatonkaII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #1157 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII View Post
You guys who use to drink on the regular, how are you quitting and getting any sleep? I swear I toss and turn and stay up all night.
How many nights are you alcohol free?

I was a heavy drinker by most peoples measuring stick, and it was every night for longer than I can remember. For me, it wasn't until night 4 that I think I got anywhere close to some sleep. In other words, the first 3 nights are going to suck, and suck really bad... I can tell you the silver lining- sober sleep is really, really good sleep!
Old 01-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #1158 (permalink)

Member # 12454
Send a message via AIM to TatonkaII
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcamper View Post
How many nights are you alcohol free?

I was a heavy drinker by most peoples measuring stick, and it was every night for longer than I can remember. For me, it wasn't until night 4 that I think I got anywhere close to some sleep. In other words, the first 3 nights are going to suck, and suck really bad... I can tell you the silver lining- sober sleep is really, really good sleep!
Every night pretty much. Not black out, but more than anyone should be drinking on a weeknight. I'm a functional alcoholic. I'm back to a great diet and excising daily for the first time in 4+ years... just gotta kick the booze because it's now an unnecessary part of my life. Kinda bored with it honestly. Easier said than done.

Last edited by TatonkaII; 01-08-2019 at 01:48 PM.
TatonkaII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #1159 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
Every night pretty much. Not black out, but more than anyone should be drinking on a weeknight. I'm a functional alcoholic. I'm back to a great diet and excising daily for the first time in 4+ years... just gotta kick the booze because it's now an unnecessary part of my life. Kinda bored with it honestly. Easier said than done.
Best of luck. It does get easier, especially after you get through those first few days, but YOU have to be the one to make the decision.

Feel free to reach out if you want, I'm no expert but will gladly BS with anyone.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #1160 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
I actually sleep pretty well alcohol free. Thanks for asking. Monday morning my back hurt like a motherfucker after two 14.7% 16oz bottles of beer and probably sleeping wrong all night but I was passed out so who cares. Not a fun day. Kind of an easy day to say "no more" so I can understand the opposite.

Truthfully, I've had nights I've stayed up until 10 then had to put myself in bed and read ANYTHING to fall asleep. It worked as a kid and still does MOST of the time. It might take a week of no booze for you to get to a point where you sleep normal. Have you tried marijuana or nyquil/sleep aids? Sounds dumb but it might work.

yaya day two. Ran my ass off during lunch (like some sub-7:00 miles I didn't think I'd do originally) which felt good after Monday's feeling like crap. At least if I'm sore tomorrow I am a little more willing to accept why. I might even do a 30 minute TRX workout since I'm self inflicting the requirement with hard runs and body workouts. Shit makes it hard to drink when you're working out multiple times a day with a 1 year old and you're not on the couch until 8ish.

Edit: maybe I DO have insomnia this time. Did a good (for me) 30 minute workout (it’s cold so I didn’t break a sweat) after dinner then ate a pint of ice cream. Still awake at 9:30 but maybe it’s the sugar. I’ve done no sugar diets and usually I’m super tired. Do you happen to be substituting it with soda or something with caffeine?

Last edited by H8DWINGS; 01-08-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #1161 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Quote:
You're detoxing. Try eating a small amount of candy. The sugar will trick your body into thinking it got some alcohol.
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #1162 (permalink)

Member # 27710
January 10th and I am three years sober. One day at a time. I want to thank the others who posted to show me it was possible and to encourage the others who are trying.
thecj3man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #1163 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecj3man View Post
January 10th and I am three years sober. One day at a time. I want to thank the others who posted to show me it was possible and to encourage the others who are trying.
Congrats man, that is awesome!
Old 01-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #1164 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Absolutely spot on for me. Have to remember: Every single drink is going to cost me the next day, and there's no flat fee: Two is worse than one, three is worse than two, ...
Stealing happiness....can't go run at 7:00 am in the cold when I feel like shit.
Every drink is going to cost me the 4 days I've gone without and to make it to tomorrow I have to make it through today.

Bullshit meeting about bullshit ruined my day. It is kind of a reason I would drink (work) because it's as "do it my way" and I'm the guy who wants documented policies so I can point to them when things are getting changed from how it was last time. I want to go right to my boss and say "see this point right here where 2 months after you made ME change it from what it was to what it is, you then didn't do it for them?" but I KNOW it gets me nothing.

I could still convince myself I can do another 6 days after today and just do it 6 days at a time. It's acceptable because "It is Friday" works for some. I'd be in that some if I didn't give a shit. I'm giving a shit about tomorrow. Not tonight. Not what will be yesterday in a few hours and not the few hours ago...slowly.

Plus I put all my money in to savings so I won't spend it.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #1165 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcamper View Post
Yes, I am quoting myself... I posted the above post on 1/10/2017, even in that post I mentioned how stubborn "us" drunks can be! Well, a little over a year later, I finally said enough is enough. I had my last drink on 1/15/2018, I quit cold turkey as I knew that was the only way I could do it. I tried to cut back for over a year, and it didn't work.

Today is day 11 without a single drop of alcohol. I won't lie, as most know, those first 2-3 nights were hell. I wake up each morning feeling better and better and look at each day as a new beginning. As I stated in my quote above, I take each day as it comes, knowing I will be stronger the next morning. Soon it will be 2 weeks, soon after, a month, then multiple months, and so on.

I know I'm at an extreme risk of falling back into my old ways, I've been down this road before and it's a life long battle, but one I am determined to be in charge of, instead of it being in charge of me.

I'll report back in around 2/15 when I hit the one month mark. Thanks again for any and all support, you really are all the best bunch of internet "assholes" a guy could lean on for support!
Once again, I'm quoting myself as I check in here...

Today is 1 year without alcohol. Wow, that feels really good and yet really weird to say/type. I'll share a few things I have learned over the past year with the hopes that maybe, just maybe it will help one person.

Let me preface it by saying: I am no expert on this, I have not received any professional help, hell, I haven't even really had a person to lean on when things got tough. In other words, I created this problem and I am determined to fix it. That WILL not work for everyone, it might not work for anyone, but it's working for me so I'm running with it.

I feel no need to share how much I used to drink, or for how long I had been drinking that much. That will serve no purpose except someone might twist it to their benefit, i.e. "well, I'm not as bad off as xxx, so I must be good..."

If you are reading this thread, I'm betting you aren't reading it for the entertainment value, if so, sorry to disappoint. Something got you to at least think about your drinking and to take a look in this thread. I have no clue what that was- Maybe it was hoping to see that you aren't as bad off as some, maybe you are looking for that golden nugget of wisdom that makes all your problems go away, maybe its hoping there is that one person that says "I quit drinking and it was the worst thing I ever did". Whatever your reason for wandering into this thread may be, I feel pretty confident in saying you won't find your answer here, but you will find a bunch of people that will lend you an ear, offer advice, and share their experiences. To me, that has been more valuable than anything else.

Sorry for the rambling, with all of that said, here are a few things I learned over the past 12 months:
- It's difficult, and that is a huge understatement! You can read and apply all of the acronyms or quotes you want, but I think it really does come down to just getting through one "thing" at a time. What that "thing" is will vary greatly. It may be the next hour, the next day, a birthday party, a Friday afternoon, a Sunday brunch, etc. The point is- set a short term goal- I will not have a drink for the next hour, rinse and repeat.
- You will find a sweet tooth that will make you want to fight a class room full of six year olds for their Halloween bucket! That's ok, enjoy your new found excitement over a bowl of ice cream, the hangover is much more enjoyable!
- Find something to occupy your time. I had to keep busy, especially during the "drinking hours", which for me was any time I wasn't working. This was actually pretty easy at the beginning and it felt good to see progress on projects. If you don't have something to occupy your time, now is a great time to pick up a new hobby, and it can be as simple as reading a book you have wanted to read or coloring a page in a coloring book. For me I cleaned my garage from top to bottom for the first time in 14+ years. That kept me busy for a lot of evenings and weekends, and there was, and still is, a fridge full of beer in the garage. Did I reach for that fridge on more than one occasion? Of course I did, but I wouldn't allow myself to open it, I would refocus on the task at hand and get through that "thing" without a drink, then start on the next "thing"...
- I kept a calendar (the real paper kind) and I looked forward to every morning that I could put another check mark on the previous day. Over the course of a year I can look back with fondness on different milestones that I in no way planned. The one that will stick with me for a long time- day 250 just happened to be on my daughters 20th birthday. Seriously, I can't make that shit up and it was just another one of many "moments" that reinforced to me that I was making strides in the right direction.
- Sleep- I did not think it was possible to get a good nights sleep without alcohol. The first week will only reinforce this notion. I can honestly say, sober sleep is fawkin awesome. You'll have to trust me on that one until you experience it...

Sorry for the long winded post.

Thanks to everyone that has offered support and shared their stories. If I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to reach out.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #1166 (permalink)

Member # 27710
Congratulations on the one year mark. Before you know it it will be two or longer.
thecj3man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2019, 10:41 AM   #1167 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Still rollin with the "steal happiness from tomorrow". Day 11. Been there. Done that.

Family "christmas" party with the uncle this weekend. Going to be fun. Probably buy a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper tomorrow morning after a run.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #1168 (permalink)

Member # 159257
bump. 49 days. I actually almost took a drink from my wife's beer one night totally thinking it was mine and not comprehending it was beer. Kinda funny when I told my wife. Other than that it's the SSDD.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #1169 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Hey hey! Awesome.

Won't lie; I'm currently struggling.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #1170 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Hey hey! Awesome.

Won't lie; I'm currently struggling.
I've tried to find anything I can do NOT to drink and my son has been sick for a while so it kind of helps being able to wake up as requested and help out as needed. Downside is I'm still a sugar fiend so a pint of ben and jerry's ice cream kinda keeps me awake. I can get all that "Monday Morning" soreness from exercising. AT this point I think my wife enjoys knowing she can go out whenever and not worry about me. She had too many one night at a retirement party and I told her the next day "back in my day I could down a 6 pack like that. You just power through that feeling." half joking, half knowing it's true.

I don't know what works for me. Other than just knowing I'm not drinking. Yeah I still have beer around. Yeah it's kind of taken me by surprise when I've opened the beer fridge for a sparkling water and see a beer thinking "wtf is THAT doing here" as if I'm hiding it. I'm pretty sure the people who would usually offer me a beer stopped offering and never asked why. Iv'e had some shitty days. Even told the wife one day "I could make it all go away for 48 hours. I wouldn't have to deal with it for 48 hours."
Old 02-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #1171 (permalink)
GiS

Member # 31285
Congrats COcamper and way to keep after it H8D!
Rock Posse Racing #686
Driver: Joey Weber
GiS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #1172 (permalink)
IMA BUM

Member # 27141
Drinking gets in the way of my drug use!
Old 02-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #1173 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNDRVR View Post
Drinking gets in the way of my drug use!
Old 02-27-2019, 09:18 AM   #1174 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Nice job H8DWINGS! Keep it up man, it does get easier and eventually you'll decide you don't want or need the sugar "fix".

CJF- keep fighting the good fight. I wish I could offer up a simple solution, there isn't one, but feel free to reach out if you want to BS.

GiS- Thank you, and thank you for mentioning that book Sober Curious. I'm about half way through it, and although it has a little bit of "chick flick" slant to it, the message and topics are dead on. FOMA is a great chapter.

I stopped counting days after I hit day 365. I've accepted the role that alcohol has played in my life and I don't want it back.

Just this week I finished up a 4 week Dr. "tour". I'm your typical guy, I don't go to the Dr. unless something is wrong. I haven't felt this good in a long time, so I figured I better document this shit and set a baseline! Yesterday I got the final call, blood work is great, minor changes to diet and exercise and I'll be a poster child for a 45 y/o.

You can read and listen to stories from others about the benefits of cutting back or eliminating alcohol, but to live it, oh man... I ask myself on a pretty regular basis- exactly why did I not do this a lot sooner? FOMA is a big reason. That stands for Fear Of Missing Alcohol. It's real and has been brought up many, many times in this thread- that fear of not having a beer with the guys, that fear of what will people think or say, that fear of what am I going to do at the party, that fear of, well, you get the point. Looking back, yes, I feared missing alcohol, but in reality that was a very short time frame that quickly passes and allows you to focus on the more important thing- YOU.

I'll step off my soap box, just wanted to share a few things I've experienced and support those that are going down this road as those before me have.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #1175 (permalink)

Member # 85615
To all battling demons and addiction hang in there!!!
This book by Jack Trimpley saved my life!! Its a good read if the AA 12 steps are not working for you...

https://bookoutlet.ca/Store/Details/...iABEgIAn_D_BwE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in