I quit drinking - Page 50 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #1226 (permalink)

Member # 13489
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Might as well put this in writing: Gonna try for no alcohol today.
Good luck, I hit 13 days today. Been drinking a crap load of coffee and eating a ton of sweets since I quit.
Danny mora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #1227 (permalink)

Member # 59753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny mora View Post
Good luck, I hit 13 days today. Been drinking a crap load of coffee and eating a ton of sweets since I quit.
Alcohol turns to sugar in the bloodstream, you're good.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #1228 (permalink)

Member # 59753
Quote:
Today is all any of us really have.

Yesterday is GONE.

Tomorrow may never come for US.

Today is your PRESENT, make the best of it!

It is all any of us really have.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:14 PM   #1229 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Fuck it. Me too. Fuck this shit owning me. I’ve literally self induced worse feelings. I don’t care anymore. Drink around me and get drunk cuz I don’t care. The ‘low and slow’ depressed life ain’t for me. Fuck that shit. Give me the High and ah LIVE life. I’d rather feel like shit after doing something other than sucking a can/bottle. Fuck beer. FUCK BEER. Fuck some pill in liquid form owning me.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #1230 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred W. View Post

Yesterday is GONE.

With this mentality why work on anything to make it better? Just live for today and neverthink of how much better tomorrow could be. Fuck. That.

I have tomorrow. I have today. Yesterday is a memory I’ll keep. I have more than the present. I have forever
Old 05-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #1231 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
With this mentality why work on anything to make it better? Just live for today and neverthink of how much better tomorrow could be. Fuck. That.

I have tomorrow. I have today. Yesterday is a memory I’ll keep. I have more than the present. I have forever
The idea is to live in the present and be aware how your decisions and actions in the present determine your future. This is obvious to some, completely escapes others.
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #1232 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
how'd you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #1233 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
how'd you do?
Didn't quite make it.

Had exactly one beer. Need to process what happened and then go from there.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #1234 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Hey we can start over together. Day 1. Race you to 100?
Old 05-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #1235 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bronco460 View Post
The idea is to live in the present and be aware how your decisions and actions in the present determine your future. This is obvious to some, completely escapes others.
Oh I TOTALLY knew how my actions were going to affect my future. Drinking Saturday night thinking how I have to get up so the wife won't be pissed at me for drinking all night went through my mind as I drank another beer. Being lazy and missing my "usual" morning activities because I wasn't 100% due to the night before was another thought. It's just the choice to not drink because I drink to get drunk and getting drunk makes me useless is the present. I'm aware how it determines my future to the point I know my wife won't stick around and while I'll get to see my kid I won't get to see her and I'll literally have no one in my life...insert downward spiral.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #1236 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred W. View Post

Yesterday is GONE.

Legend!
Old 05-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #1237 (permalink)

Member # 27710
Quote:
Didn't quite make it.

Had exactly one beer. Need to process what happened and then go from there.
I must have stopped a hundred times and failed. Always have today to start again. One of those times I started again it stuck with me. So don't get discouraged.
thecj3man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #1238 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Technically I'm on day 2 right now. It never gets any different. It's almost easier to be not drinking right now than to keep drinking mostly because of money and how I feel when I wake up.Oh...and candy/ice cream/sugarfree rockstars/sweets.

Plus I think I figured out the Jeep oil leak is because someone before me put in two too short bolts, then someone else thought they were stripped and attempted to helicoil the short bolts, so it was never fixed and tightened up as if it was forever stripped making ME think it's stripped and needs to be helicoiled...until I saw threads about 3/4" deep into the timing chain cover.
Now if only I could get the electrical figured out for the passenger window. I could put the door panel on, tighten up stuff, replace the driver upper link bolt (link wiggles), and consider the thing reliable enough to drive around town...then start wheeling.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:55 PM   #1239 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
Technically I'm on day 2 right now. It never gets any different. It's almost easier to be not drinking right now than to keep drinking mostly because of money and how I feel when I wake up.Oh...and candy/ice cream/sugarfree rockstars/sweets.

Plus I think I figured out the Jeep oil leak is because someone before me put in two too short bolts, then someone else thought they were stripped and attempted to helicoil the short bolts, so it was never fixed and tightened up as if it was forever stripped making ME think it's stripped and needs to be helicoiled...until I saw threads about 3/4" deep into the timing chain cover.
Now if only I could get the electrical figured out for the passenger window. I could put the door panel on, tighten up stuff, replace the driver upper link bolt (link wiggles), and consider the thing reliable enough to drive around town...then start wheeling.

Hey man... if you wanna quit drinking , do it for you!!!! Everything else will fall in place if you’re good where you’re at!!!
You keep talking about other reasons and people!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #1240 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregj50 View Post
Hey man... if you wanna quit drinking , do it for you!!!! Everything else will fall in place if you’re good where you’re at!!!
You keep talking about other reasons and people!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do it for me because I want these people in my life. I guess it would be easy to quit drinking then quit communicating to everyone I've ever known in my life and find new parents and a new wife, but I'd rather not go down that road. Seems like it sucks from what I've read here.

Also, I don't think my passenger window will magically start working because I quit drinking. The oil pan did "fix" itself because I figured out the bolts were too short.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #1241 (permalink)

Member # 3370
#1 need to do it for yourself because you want to.

I have been sober for 981 days today. I don't go by months or years. I just go day by day.

It gets easier with time but I still have my moments where I can't be around anyone drinking due to where my own head is at the moment. There are days I am wanting to drink away the days issues. I know though it will just make whatever issue at the time bigger and worse.

I can say my life is 100% better being sober.

Find yourself some people on the same path, be it in AA or people who don't drink and have been in your position.

I didn't do AA, luckily my wife quit at the same time as I did, and my brotherinlaw has been through the 12 steps and is 12 years clean and sober and helps me out in the dark times.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:25 AM   #1242 (permalink)

Member # 181491
Well I fucked up I guess.

After right around 18 mths without a drink I thought it would be a fine idea to have a couple 'now and then'

Well that turned into about 5 weeks of drinking almost everyday and gaining damn near 20 lbs.

Fuck that, felt like total shit.

Went back to eating right and not drinking, feeling much better already.

I guess it was a bit of a wake up and confirmation that I really can't drink like normal people.

Shit is shitty but it is what it is.

Fuck drinking!
crispins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #1243 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispins View Post

After right around 18 mths without a drink I thought it would be a fine idea to have a couple 'now and then'

Well that turned into about 5 weeks of drinking almost everyday and gaining damn near 20 lbs.

I guess it was a bit of a wake up and confirmation that I really can't drink like normal people.

Fuck drinking!
This was me only it didn't take 5 weeks. More like 2 just because I saw the exact same things happening as they did before. I'd "need" a beer after work or I'd think about having one in the garage really quick before I went back inside then realized I'm hiding it like a child.

18 months is a good long time. Being sore fucking SUCKS and that's kind of the biggest thing for me. Nevermind the amount of money spent on making myself feel that way. I know I drink to get drunk and I know what it's going to feel like the next day. That's why I decided not to drink for a while. Fucks up the whole next day. Fortunately I can stand to be around people who drink, but maybe it is because the people I hang around don't drink AS MUCH as I did or what other people hang around with. It just depends what you consider normal. Kind of in line with what I got upset about my wife about...what is the number of drinks you consider normal or acceptable? Is having more than 1 too many? Is more than 12 ounces too much? Where is this limit so I can stay on the right side to be considered "normal"? Is it 3 12 ounce beers of less than 6% a night/week/weekend/hour that's okay? It starts a spiral where I want to hold everyone to the exact same standard and my life is now full of how EVERYTHING is different (work, family, relationships, acceptability of your alcoholic lifestyle, holiday party excessive drinking, etc.) for them compared to me.

so fuck it. It's easier on me just to not drink. Fuck what other people think or else I'll go right back to it because I'm quitting for you to be in my life not because I want to. If I didn't want you in my life I'd deal with the soreness because no one would be here to tell me what "normal" is.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:51 PM   #1244 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Quote:

Fuck drinking!
You did some “research” and found out what many of us have: you keep doing what you always did, you keep getting what you always got. What amazes me is how after a substantial time of being sober how quickly I could get to where I left off or worse. Welcome back.
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #1245 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Yup. Right now I could walk to the gas station and get my usual three tall boys and relax for the next two hours and wake up okay.

EDIT: Made it through just fine. Kind of boring sitting on the couch last night wanting a beer knowing I'd never get to day 100, I've been here before, and hearing a bunch of drama with a family member getting a DUI and being fired from a good paying job because of it.

Last edited by H8DWINGS; 05-24-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #1246 (permalink)
Bug Nerd

Member # 42484
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjames151 View Post
Where’s the formicarium update fucker?
Fuck. I know. I owe you all an update. Its been a minute.

Quote:

Fuck drinking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bronco460 View Post
You did some “research” and found out what many of us have: you keep doing what you always did, you keep getting what you always got. What amazes me is how after a substantial time of being sober how quickly I could get to where I left off or worse. Welcome back.
Yeah. In my three final years of drinking before achieving two full years without drinking, I had many 30, 60, 90 day attempts.

I would start feeling good. Decide to try and moderate my drinking.

It didn't work. I would slip right back to where I was in a matter of weeks or months at most.

I know what it looked like to research early in sobriety. I can't imagine what would happen to me if I tried to go back out now. I had to overcome a lot of FEAR to get sober. All kinds of fears I never knew were dominating my thinking.

But now, the only real fear I have left is a fear of what I will do to myself, and my life, if I drink again. Its a healthy fear to have, and one I am glad I have.

If you slip and go back out, its ok. I tried to quit drinking starting in 2013. It took me until 2017 to get it to stick. But I didn't give up. Now you know the consequences of what happens when you revert back to old behavior. You slip and slide right back to where you were. Remember it. And keep trying.

Some of us are just wired differently. We can go years or decades without alcohol causing significant problems. Then one day, it stops working as intended. It becomes a problem. And no matter how much we try, we can't drink like other people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yotasmob; 05-25-2019 at 04:24 PM.
yotasmob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #1247 (permalink)

Member # 59753
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
how'd you do?
I did fucking great!
Old 05-29-2019, 05:36 PM   #1248 (permalink)

Member # 59753
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotasmob View Post
Fuck. I know. I owe you all an update. Its been a minute.

Yeah. In my three final years of drinking before achieving two full years without drinking, I had many 30, 60, 90 day attempts.

I would start feeling good. Decide to try and moderate my drinking.

It didn't work. I would slip right back to where I was in a matter of weeks or months at most.

I know what it looked like to research early in sobriety. I can't imagine what would happen to me if I tried to go back out now. I had to overcome a lot of FEAR to get sober. All kinds of fears I never knew were dominating my thinking.

But now, the only real fear I have left is a fear of what I will do to myself, and my life, if I drink again. Its a healthy fear to have, and one I am glad I have.

If you slip and go back out, its ok. I tried to quit drinking starting in 2013. It took me until 2017 to get it to stick. But I didn't give up. Now you know the consequences of what happens when you revert back to old behavior. You slip and slide right back to where you were. Remember it. And keep trying.

Some of us are just wired differently. We can go years or decades without alcohol causing significant problems. Then one day, it stops working as intended. It becomes a problem. And no matter how much we try, we can't drink like other people.

Seriously the first 15 years of staying sober were really fucked up.
I believe NOTHING was going to get much better.
Get up a little and get knocked flat on my ass, over and over.
I learned allot.
The last 15 years have been better than my wildest fantasies.
It will get better, but you have to let it.
Good luck.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:40 AM   #1249 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Catching up on this thread as I hadn't read it in a while.

I stopped counting days after I hit the 1 year mark, actually before that, but I still kept a paper calendar at my desk and would mark the days off when I thought of it. Just added them up again (actually let Google calculate it for me) and today is day 500. Wow, that feels pretty good to type out.

I will state the obvious, I couldn't get to day 500 without starting someplace.

Like many others, I have quit before (2.5 years), convinced myself I was a changed man, and, like many others, fell right back into my old ways. I couldn't see it as I was enjoying my long lost buddy- booze, but it was destroying everything I loved.

No point to my rambling above, just dropping in to say- stay strong and yes, YOU can do it if YOU want to do it.
COcamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #1250 (permalink)

Member # 377
There has to be a huge genetic component to alcoholism. Just lost a college buddy who literally drank himself to death. A ton of of other old friends have had to go sober. I don't think I'm any better or any more disciplined than those guys, I just grew out of it. I didn't make any plans to do it, I just got tired of being hangover half the time so I stopped getting drunk. I still drink but having three beers is a wild night for me these days. I have beer in the fridge and haven't had one in three days. Not because of any resolution or really any thought into the matter, I just haven't. The only thing that makes sense to me is that there's simply something different genetically where alcohol just doesn't get it's hooks into me like it did them.

Last edited by east_beast; 05-30-2019 at 11:59 AM.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in