I quit drinking - Page 52 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #1276 (permalink)

Member # 159257
1,000 DAYS?!?!!?! DAMN SON! I'm like....carry the two....divide....google that shit....WAYS behind you.

I did hear someone, when talking about a running streak, say 100 is the first one to hit, then it's 1,000 and after that it's stuff like "how many weekends you can do 20 milers" and weird shit (runners are weird) like that. I guess "how many family gatherings" or "how many birthday parties" without booze you can start counting.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 02:35 PM   #1277 (permalink)

Member # 159257
72. Now I spend my time arguing on the internet.

When I controlled my drinking I didn't enjoy it.
When I enjoyed my drinking I didn't control it.

That's so fucking true. COCamper put it up somewhere else and said it came from here. It's pretty easy for me to remember the order because of how true it is. The annoying thing now is my step-father-in-law who "doesn't drink", but "had a few on the plane" for the first time blah blah blah....asked me if I drank at a wedding, then almost like peer pressure brought in the "not even one. I mean it's a wedding" type talk. I wanted to say "replace drink with heroin, or meth, or weed, or cocaine and ask me why I didn't do any of those? Weed is legal but you're not asking me why I didn't smoke a joint at the wedding. why not? "

I have some bullshit 23-24 mile uphill run Saturday. At least I won't be doing it hungover as shit. I'll probably feel the same way around Noon on Saturday as I would at 8am if I drank 6-9 beers Friday night at the lake maybe with some rum mixed in. At least I'll make the 4:45 am wake up call to get to the race start. this not drinking thing is bullshit.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:16 AM   #1278 (permalink)
GiS

Member # 31285
As a runner I can really appreciate the added clarity in the morning, not feeling fluffy and lethargic, etc etc. What race/route are you doing on Saturday?

Good work on Day 72 man. Rooting for ya.
Rock Posse Racing #686
Driver: Joey Weber
GiS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2019, 07:35 AM   #1279 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiS View Post
As a runner I can really appreciate the added clarity in the morning, not feeling fluffy and lethargic, etc etc. What race/route are you doing on Saturday?

Good work on Day 72 man. Rooting for ya.
Local run. The turn around point is an aid station for a 55K that just happened.
https://ascentruns.com/events/tahoe-...-climb/course/

I hate hills.
I also don't like trail running too much.
My running friends know this about me.
If I'm lucky a guy in town will be able to run with me and we can make it fun. He just started training for Javalina Jundred.
I'm looking forward to figuring out my Trekking pole/handheld skill level. I've never run with poles and NOT had my vest. I'm thinking I can get through this run with just a handheld. If I can it opens up a TON of possibilities for future ultra marathons (not sure the wife knows I'd do another, or kind of want to) if I can get by with just a handheld between aid stations.

I'm telling myself it isn't a race it's just a "supported long run" for fun but, if there are only 10 people like last year (due to a major fire and tons of smoke) I could POTENTIALLY be in the running for the overall win. Only the overall winner gets an award. I'd be a big fish in a small pond if I won. I might even tell them to give it to last place even if it says winner. I'm more hoping they give out a Kleen Kanteen pint cup. $80 for a stainless cup I could buy plenty of...but it doesn't have the run/memories tied to it. I'd blow $80 on beer and it wouldn't last as long as the cup. I have the same cup from a different race at work and never use it. Wife asked why I was doing it (we're camping this weekend) and I told her "well we had nothing scheduled that weekend when I signed up and I want to check out the area. You won't want to hike there so this does both." She wouldn't hike there because she wouldn't want to hike 15+ miles with a 20 month old. Uphill for the whole first half.
Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM   #1280 (permalink)

Member # 21555
Send a message via Yahoo to Little Red Zuk
I've been following this thread for awhile now. I've been a steady drinker of 3-4 drinks a night for a long time. Always had a good time playing league darts, hanging out in a comfy local bar for other events. Recently, the bar I hung out at closed, so I switched to a different bar. I realized I was leaving my truck there more often, I think due to stronger pours and some depression issues that caused me to go "Just one more." often over my normal limit... I also found myself being a bigger asshole to the sometimes-kinda-sorta-girlfriend, and the smallest things would set me off when I got home.

So I started thinking about cutting back, but either a shit day made me want to numb myself, or just the habit or boredom found me in the bar hanging out again, even without darts or football. I then started getting mad at myself about it, thinking I screwed up again, and then the attitude would tank again, and then that would make me want another drink. This has continued for a couple of months.

Now, I am preparing for inner ear surgery, and the doc said to stop all booze, ibuprofen, multi-vitamins, and energy drinks a week before the procedure. So that was a kick to actually be far more conscious about it, rather than allow myself fall into the habit.

So now I am 4 days without a drink. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it's probably been 10-12 years that I've gone that long without even a beer in that time period. Even in that time, I've been able to go to the bar and just have a soda and water. (This bar is also where I eat a lot of my meals) My procedure is coming up this Wednesday, and after that, I know I'll be on the couch for almost a week just trying to recover. So in interest of the procedure, I will have been forced to go 2 weeks without drinking, and I'm not sure I can say when I've gone that long without a drink.

I don't know if I am or just think I am, but I seem to be sleeping better already. I was able to get up this morning and get some errands done, where before on a Saturday morning I would have nursed some coffee on the sofa, before going back up to retrieve my truck. So I am going to continue the non-drinking after this surgery, and see what happens.

Thanks for listening. I can't post this on Facebook or anything, because I don't want to worry Mom, as many on her side of the family were alcoholics, and I've pretty much hidden it from the family.

Tellico Rally post #45
Little Red Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 12:35 AM   #1281 (permalink)

Member # 7772
I cut back because the Dr. said I had some signs of peripheral neuropathy caused by B-12 deficiency. That's basically stabbing pins and needles. Alcohol messes with your body's ability to metabolize the B-complex vitamins.

She gave me some supplements and they didn't really work, which I suppose is the Dr's way of demonstrating that it doesn't matter what you do, alcohol intake is the problem.

However, after cutting my drinking in ~1/2, the condition cleared up. Really, about 10 days after the Dr. visit, cleared right up.

My blood work keeps coming back good too. I'm convinced by research my cholesterol is in balance due to my copious intake of ethanol. Very good science for that.

I know that sobriety/12-step people are just praying as hard as they can for me to have a big systemic failure Sorry boys, I've been to a thousand of your meetings, I know exactly how your little minds think.

However, the damage done to my life by those hysteric Puritans is irrevocable. To them, it doesn't matter, since they lost limbs, killed their kids, killed someone, etc, so the fact I will never have anything allowed in my life except material possessions is nothing to them. And, as I found out, the rest of society outside sobriety circles was eager to throw my life away, they couldn't work fast enough to fuck me up, even before I drank alcohol

So I'll tip a G&T back for you guys, since I know none of you like that drink uke: My greatest self-inflicted health problem right now is my intake of Carbs.
EverNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in