I quit drinking - Page 53 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2019, 05:54 AM   #1301 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispins View Post
I need to stop again.

Had a year under my belt and then did the "I can just drink occasionally"

That quickly turned into drinking all the fucking time and getting not much done.

Fucking stupid.

I hate it.

I did the same shit. Literally a year. Lost a bunch of weight, felt great. "I'm at a wedding, I should celebrate" I told myself.

Back to everyday and I gained all the weight I lost.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:55 AM   #1302 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman View Post
Cured, heíll no. I think about drinking EVERYDAY and have thought it everyday since I quit.

I canít really explain it other than the thinking about it is just tiresome. I miss the numbing it gave me to stress, the fun guy it turned me into, the friends I lost when I quit, the smell of that hard liquor, I miss my big blue cup. I know I sound like a little bitch, but when I quit, I really didnít think it would still be this hard this many years in. The older I get, the more stress I get and I want that outlet back. The only thing that keeps me from buying a bottle is the fact that I know Iím struggling with it so hard.
This is exactly how I felt when I quit smoking weed. I started backup again and recently have decided to quit again. Only a few days in
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 06:33 AM   #1303 (permalink)

Member # 604297
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
Just one? Shit....From your posts I'd say you're long day needs at LEAST 18.

Those days never go away. Numbing the pain works for a while but truthfully, it never goes away. Even today I'm having a bad day and I'd really like to go get a nice hard buzz and not have to think about it for a few hours, but when I wake up it is no different than it was before AND I feel like shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
I did the same shit. Literally a year. Lost a bunch of weight, felt great. .
Well drank a fifth of crown last night and although I don't feel bad I don't feel great. Didn't get shit done around the house. I have a lot of ambition and projects that quickly get thrown out the door once I get more than a few drinks in. I really really want to push this fall/winter to say no to booze just to see how much better I feel mentally, physically and to see how much more productive/wealthy I become.. I'm with you guys on the cravings. Even smoking I still miss after 4 weeks I can only imagine how bad drinking will be..

Last edited by Cool Hand Luke; 08-22-2019 at 06:34 AM.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #1304 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Well drank a fifth of crown last night and although I don't feel bad I don't feel great. Didn't get shit done around the house. I have a lot of ambition and projects that quickly get thrown out the door once I get more than a few drinks in. I really really want to push this fall/winter to say no to booze just to see how much better I feel mentally, physically and to see how much more productive/wealthy I become.. I'm with you guys on the cravings. Even smoking I still miss after 4 weeks I can only imagine how bad drinking will be..
NICE! I didn't get liquor out until camping trips or weekends when I knew I wanted to get shitty so for a Wednesday night that's a ROUGH day.

The unproductivity is what started getting to me. You spend 3-4 hours drinking but "don't have time" for 2 hours of yard work. Plenty of shit around my house has been put on the shelf due to a lack of motivation/excuses. This has built into "don't want to" and slowly going towards "can't I just pay someone to do it?" which might be possible since I don't spend money on beer anymore.

You won't get wealthy not drinking because you'll end up buying soda (I do Bubly sparkling water because sugar is the devil), snacks (two packs of Trolli sour crawlers next to me), and new pants (smaller than I was in high school bitches ) or automotive stuff.

The physical feeling, once the soreness of booze wore off, is kind of what's keeping me going. Cut out my running bullshit (because running is stupid) and just the feeling of waking up not still tired from the day before is nice. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had to actually work for a living instead of sit in front of a computer screen.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #1305 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Cured, heíll no. I think about drinking EVERYDAY and have thought it everyday since I quit.

I canít really explain it other than the thinking about it is just tiresome. I miss the numbing it gave me to stress, the fun guy it turned me into, the friends I lost when I quit, the smell of that hard liquor, I miss my big blue cup. I know I sound like a little bitch, but when I quit, I really didnít think it would still be this hard this many years in. The older I get, the more stress I get and I want that outlet back. The only thing that keeps me from buying a bottle is the fact that I know Iím struggling with it so hard.
I'm pretty much the same. I had a BLAST when I'd drink, but sometimes I'd just start thinking more and more AND MORE about the stress in life and drove down a big hole. Never made anything better and the stress never went away.

Why can't you use the big blue cup? Only usefull to hold some Jim Beam? Fill that bitch with ice and use it.

Know what I don't miss? Waking up sore as fuck at 2 am because I passed out on the couch.
Justifying money for booze instead of something like food, or more gas, or buying my wife/mother/father in law/son something.
The outlet not being an outlet because it brought more stress in. Walking to the gas station to buy more, upsetting the wife, knowing she WILL leave if I keep it up, knowing my son would see a useless dad and knowing I'd hit the bottle HARD if she left. I think about losing my wife and kid about as often as I think about drinking and I KNOW if they left I'm going back to it because "I'm my own man and I'm not changing for anyone." Down the well we go. Into "drink until you don't think anymore" territory.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #1306 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispins View Post
I need to stop again.

Had a year under my belt and then did the "I can just drink occasionally"

That quickly turned into drinking all the fucking time and getting not much done.

Fucking stupid.

I hate it.
Let me guess, drinks slowly got stronger, then it was a weeknight slip where you had too much, then it was getting plastered on a Friday because nothing is going on the next day and you wake up regretting it. I know that would be me if I went back because I did it already. It REALLY sucks knowing there is something in my life I can't be an adult about. Being an adult sucks, but no one likes someone who acts like a child.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #1307 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red Zuk View Post
So now I am 4 days without a drink. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it's probably been 10-12 years that I've gone that long without even a beer in that time period. Even in that time, I've been able to go to the bar and just have a soda and water. (This bar is also where I eat a lot of my meals) My procedure is coming up this Wednesday, and after that, I know I'll be on the couch for almost a week just trying to recover. So in interest of the procedure, I will have been forced to go 2 weeks without drinking, and I'm not sure I can say when I've gone that long without a drink.
How ya doin? Surgery go ok?
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #1308 (permalink)

Member # 21555
Send a message via Yahoo to Little Red Zuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
How ya doin? Surgery go ok?
Seemed to go pretty well. Sitting on the couch having to take painkillers and antibiotics every 4 hours right now, tonight should be able to spread it out to every 6 hours.

Sore throat still from the breathing tube, I was under for 6 hour procedure.

Now as to if it actually improved my hearing, won't know for another couple of weeks.

Tellico Rally post #45
Little Red Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2019, 10:26 AM   #1309 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Seemed to go pretty well. Sitting on the couch having to take painkillers and antibiotics every 4 hours right now, tonight should be able to spread it out to every 6 hours.

Sore throat still from the breathing tube, I was under for 6 hour procedure.

Now as to if it actually improved my hearing, won't know for another couple of weeks.
How are you doing a week later? Can you hear shit? Able to drink or still taking pain killers?
Old 08-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #1310 (permalink)
IMA BUM

Member # 27141
I just had my hip replaced. Haven't drank for more than a couple of weeks.

Momma says I'm on restriction!
Old 08-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #1311 (permalink)

Member # 159257
101 days. Ironically people next to me at work are talking about DUIs of various types. Riding a horse (so they heard), driving a big wheel, and even driving into the police academy still drunk from the bachelor's party the weekend before.

Great workplace conversations. Glad I don't need to worry about that shit anymore.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #1312 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:

I'm just the opposite from you. I quit almost 19 years ago and I rarely if ever think about it and have zero desire to go back to drinking. I really enjoy being sober. All I did was "make up my mind that I needed to quit". No program or support group.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #1313 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
March 2nd 1980 I quit drinking and use drugs!! Best decision I ever made, do not even think about it and have no desire to go back!!

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #1314 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
I'm just the opposite from you. I quit almost 19 years ago and I rarely if ever think about it and have zero desire to go back to drinking. I really enjoy being sober. All I did was "make up my mind that I needed to quit". No program or support group.

Jeezuz man!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2019, 05:36 PM   #1315 (permalink)

Member # 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOP'S View Post
March 2nd 1980 I quit drinking and use drugs!!
So the switch to drugs is working for you eh?
BossBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #1316 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 102395
I haven't had a drink since Monday.

Normally it's a 6 pack or more a night and if there,s No beer the counter is typically Well stocked with vodka and or whisky.

I'm not sure if I'm quitting or just lightening up.

I function normally day to day and I guess the biggest reason to quit would be for my health.

I don't know why I drink. Perhaps to just loosen up I guess. I won't lie...I like the drink...I'm not an obnoxious drunk and am typically really easy to get along with when I'm drinking.

I just feel like maybe I'm drinking to much anymore.

If you were twice as smart you would still be stupid!

But, as with most evil people, they live unnaturally long lives.

Dr Danger
lil,yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2019, 04:04 AM   #1317 (permalink)

Member # 212988
I know this isn't really the same as booze but whatever I'm ten days into quitting smoking weed today. Woot
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2019, 06:50 AM   #1318 (permalink)
IMA BUM

Member # 27141
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpi0 View Post
I'm ten days into quitting smoking weed today.
I smoke a LOT of weed!
(helps maintain my opioid use)
Old 09-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #1319 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Bump... I track my monthly expenses with the wife since we don't pool into a joint account except for our mortgage/insurance etc. but I have been slacking and didn't do the last three months.

I've spent $1020 on booze from June 1st to August 31st

I'm always worried about money even though I shouldn't be as we both have steady careers... we had a good time with the neighbours yesterday and had about 10 drinks over the course of the day and I feel fine but holy shit...

I want to buy a Willys project/rust bucket and have the scratch but don't want to spend it right now... I had half of my payment right there ^^

I'm doing a 30 day dry spell starting today, my wedding is on Oct 12th so there will be some drinking that day but fuck me,
Old 09-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #1320 (permalink)

Member # 21555
Send a message via Yahoo to Little Red Zuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
How are you doing a week later? Can you hear shit? Able to drink or still taking pain killers?
No pain killers any more, just letting the ear heal up. But I did have 3 drinks Saturday night playing darts, spread out over 4 hours. And I haven't been drinking every night like I normally would. I'm not really happy about it, but I don't feel too bad, as I didn't just sit there and drink all night like I have done before.

Still not sure where I stand on totally quitting, but I think at least slowing down is a step in the right direction.

Tellico Rally post #45
Little Red Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2019, 02:47 PM   #1321 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 13671
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis] View Post
Bump... I track my monthly expenses with the wife since we don't pool into a joint account except for our mortgage/insurance etc. but I have been slacking and didn't do the last three months.

I'm always worried about money even though I shouldn't be as we both have steady careers... we had a good time with the neighbours yesterday and had about 10 drinks over the course of the day and I feel fine but holy shit...

I want to buy a Willys project/rust bucket and have the scratch but don't want to spend it right now... I had half of my payment right there ^^

I'm doing a 30 day dry spell starting today, my wedding is on Oct 12th so there will be some drinking that day but fuck me,
I guess it would vary alot depending on location and what you're actually drinking. I'm an at home beer guy... $330+ a month is basically me staying fucked up every day
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #1322 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
I guess it would vary alot depending on location and what you're actually drinking. I'm an at home beer guy... $330+ a month is basically me staying fucked up every day

Quote:

People waste money on addictions other than alcohol... drive through coffee.... fast food....pets.....sports.... yada yada!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #1323 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
In Canadia beer is expensive, like a 6 pack of local stuff is $15
Definitely thought about brewing my own but I'm lazy,
Old 09-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #1324 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
No pain killers any more, just letting the ear heal up. But I did have 3 drinks Saturday night playing darts, spread out over 4 hours. And I haven't been drinking every night like I normally would. I'm not really happy about it, but I don't feel too bad, as I didn't just sit there and drink all night like I have done before.

Still not sure where I stand on totally quitting, but I think at least slowing down is a step in the right direction.
Slowing down is where I started. Heck this weekend alone I was thinking Ďman I want a beerí because it was busy and kinda sucked. Found a mouse in the house that had been all over, slip yoke kit I bought used cake with a flange not a yoke (IDL WTF IM DOING HERE?!?!?) then it just kept going. Monday I was thinking Ďif I still drank Iíd start nowí and it was probably 2:00. I RTVd my 231 back together at 10:00pm Monday night and there is NO WAY Iíd have done that drinking beer since 2:00pm. Just the Ďnot feeling badí part has been enough to keep me off it. Plenty of other stuff I can do to tear my body up except itís more productive than drinking beer.

Good for slowing down. I canít. Iím all in or nothing when it comes to drinking. I know it. Saw it every time I quit. Plus nothing I tried to drink away ever changed. At least now Iíve learned I can change the center yoke of a cardan to adapt to a flange. Never would have learned that had I drank away the Ď$100 I wasted buying used parts instead of new.í
Old 09-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #1325 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
In Canadia beer is expensive, like a 6 pack of local stuff is $15
Definitely thought about brewing my own but I'm lazy,
I got lots of homebrewing stuff. A pump, temperature controlled fermentation chamber (freezer), 1/2” stainless quick disconnects, high temp silicone tubes, and you’d be amazed what you can do being lazy. It’s LOTS and waiting around.

Some guys do all electric brewing so they can brew during winter and it’s super quiet.

Edit: oh yeah, I never tracked what I spend on beer, but I’m amazed at how cheap I am. I’d spend $30 on a ‘rare’ bottle but not an extra $4 for windshield wiper fluid? Easily spend $10 on some good 7% beer but too cheap to put that somewhere else? I’ve started moving a few hundred bucks into savings. $1,050 would be nice to see every few months.

Last edited by H8DWINGS; 09-03-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in