I quit drinking - Page 55 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #1351 (permalink)

Member # 377
I'm about to stop for awhile myself. Nothing to do with stopping drinking really, just that after a 10 day vacation back home I'm fatter than I've ever been. I drink 1-2 beers a night most days of the week. Do the math at roughly 200 calories per beer and that's roughly 1500-3000 calories per week. Gotta knock off those easy calories to knock off if I'm going to meet my weight goals.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #1352 (permalink)

Member # 20374
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjames151 View Post
The general consensus is that’s not huge numbers, but if you’ve been at it for a long time without a healthy diet, it can cause a vitamin B deficit that can totally fuck you up when you quit.
Thanks for posting that, interesting stuff to read up on!
Grapehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #1353 (permalink)

Member # 685378
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909wheeler View Post
It's just something different within different people.

The lucky ones are those who start drinking and hate it. The second lucky; the lightweights. The least fortunate IMO are those who can tolerate a lot of alcohol right out of the gate. They are often praised at parties as a guy/gal that can drink anyone under the table.

The more you can tolerate, the more you drink and as tolerence builds up, the more you HAVE to drink to get to where you used to be "happy".

I would find a "happy level" just above buzzed and below drunkenness and it's like running up one end of a teeter-totter trying to stop at the balance point; Easy to get to, very difficult to stop at and very easy to run past. Some will never master stopping at the tip of the teeter-totter but will get to know the just before and just after stages very well. With this knowledge and personal experience this is where most get too comfortable driving under the influence and people get killed and lives ruined.

This probably not you but there are alot out there like that.

Most started out seeking fun times but it just became who they felt comfortable being after a while.
I was the one that found out i was "good at it" truer words haven't ever been spoken..i've started reading this thread from page one and i'm ready to quit too..i had childhood issues, went to therapy for it, i'm over those, had a company i ran that i ended up hating, quit that and started over in life, got a job i love and have been working towards a dream to have a sailboat i can live on, i should be thrilled and happy, and energetic to get the shit done, but i find myself just coming home and drinking every night. The beer has changed from a crutch to an anchor. and today is the day to drop that fucker.
sorry for rambling, i've been drinking tonight even, but i'm finally ready to stop.
drummer9479 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #1354 (permalink)

Member # 159257
120 days (Insert lame hurray video) Although. I quit March 20. So it seems like 4 months and 120 days don't line up. At least I still suck at math (not really). Oh and my damn Jeep is ALMOST finished. FAWK I hate learning sometimes. Constant 2 steps forward and 3 steps back.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #1355 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer9479 View Post
I was the one that found out i was "good at it" truer words haven't ever been spoken..i've started reading this thread from page one and i'm ready to quit too..i had childhood issues, went to therapy for it, i'm over those, had a company i ran that i ended up hating, quit that and started over in life, got a job i love and have been working towards a dream to have a sailboat i can live on, i should be thrilled and happy, and energetic to get the shit done, but i find myself just coming home and drinking every night. The beer has changed from a crutch to an anchor. and today is the day to drop that fucker.
sorry for rambling, i've been drinking tonight even, but i'm finally ready to stop.
Hows it going dude?
Old 09-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #1356 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
120 days (Insert lame hurray video) Although. I quit March 20. So it seems like 4 months and 120 days don't line up. At least I still suck at math (not really). Oh and my damn Jeep is ALMOST finished. FAWK I hate learning sometimes. Constant 2 steps forward and 3 steps back.
Congrats, that's awesome!

If March 20th is your quit date, I'm afraid you do suck at math!

I am pretty sure you know the date better than any of us, but you sure it wasn't May 20th?

It doesn't matter at all to me, congrats regardless of the date on keeping with it.
COcamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #1357 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcamper View Post
Congrats, that's awesome!

If March 20th is your quit date, I'm afraid you do suck at math!

I am pretty sure you know the date better than any of us, but you sure it wasn't May 20th?

It doesn't matter at all to me, congrats regardless of the date on keeping with it.
fuck...yeah. I don't know. its "the weekend before Memorial Day" which seems cliché (memorial, Memeorial Day) but it just happened to be that weekend when I took a heavy dose of "fukahtall". Good thing my wife married me for love.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #1358 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
fuck...yeah. I don't know. its "the weekend before Memorial Day" which seems cliché (memorial, Memeorial Day) but it just happened to be that weekend when I took a heavy dose of "fukahtall". Good thing my wife married me for love.
Last I checked Memorial Day was in May!

As said, it doesn't really fawkin matter, congrats on setting another record for yourself, keep on keepin on!!
Old 09-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #1359 (permalink)

Member # 116153
292 days

Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slorockrawlertd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #1360 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
I've been avoiding posting in this thread for awhile...didn't think I had a problem.

Im not ready to tell my story yet, but I'm on day 5.
Already feel better than I have in a very long time
Old 09-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #1361 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
Originally Posted by slorockrawlertd View Post
292 days
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
I've been avoiding posting in this thread for awhile...didn't think I had a problem.

slo- Congrats on 292, you're closing in on a year. That's a pretty big milestone in my opinion, Hell, I looked forward to the one year mark more than any birthday I've had recently.

ADD- No need to share your story if you don't want to... We are all in this thread for our own reasons. Congrats on getting to day 5, those first 5 are some of the toughest...
Old 09-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #1362 (permalink)

Member # 685378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
Hows it going dude?
I'm doing good man, it's been good not drinking, I'm glad i read this thread and got a lot of tips about how to handle kicking it and all, cus i got the shakes and stuff a few times from lack of all the sugar in the alcohol and all, but i've been more productive, happier, and proud of myself for the first time in a damn long time, even though to outsiders they woulda said i had plenty to be proud of, i'm finally proud of myself personally.
drummer9479 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 01:37 AM   #1363 (permalink)
Bug Nerd

Member # 42484
Quote:

Yo buddy. 5 days in the bag. Keep it up. That feeling better shit doesn't stop, if you stay away from the sauce. 2 years after my last drink and I still feel better every day. Which I didn't think was possible in our 30s

Whether or not you have a problem is not for me to decide. But if you need to talk, could use suggestions, whatever.... I've been there. Almost died. I got out, and I learned what I needed to do to fix the mess I got myself in, and not get back in it. Maybe I can help. At the very least I can listen. I'll pm you my number. Hit me up. We can always reminisce about Toyota custom cabs

Edit: I tried to send you my number but yer inbox is full

I'm living in NC at the moment so I am around town
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yotasmob; 09-19-2019 at 01:54 AM.
yotasmob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 05:41 AM   #1364 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Good job y’all. 5 days. 500 days. 50 days. It’s all hard. It really sucks at times but getting through the rough spots without alcohol is a little rewarding to me just because numbing the pain didn’t fix the problem. Now if only I’d sell my homebrewing equipment...I’d have room for another expensive hobby.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #1365 (permalink)

Member # 21555
Send a message via Yahoo to Little Red Zuk
Day 2 on a restart.

Tellico Rally post #45
Little Red Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #1366 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotasmob View Post
Yo buddy. 5 days in the bag. Keep it up. That feeling better shit doesn't stop, if you stay away from the sauce. 2 years after my last drink and I still feel better every day. Which I didn't think was possible in our 30s

Whether or not you have a problem is not for me to decide. But if you need to talk, could use suggestions, whatever.... I've been there. Almost died. I got out, and I learned what I needed to do to fix the mess I got myself in, and not get back in it. Maybe I can help. At the very least I can listen. I'll pm you my number. Hit me up. We can always reminisce about Toyota custom cabs

Edit: I tried to send you my number but yer inbox is full

I'm living in NC at the moment so I am around town

Inbox cleared. Send it again man

I had a bad urge to drink last night, when the whole reason I stopped a week ago got a lot worse.

I didn't drink and I'm glad I didnt. Booze would have made it so much worse for me.

Last edited by ADD; 09-19-2019 at 01:17 PM.
ADD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #1367 (permalink)

Member # 159257
How is it going Zuk?

ADD good job getting through. I've been there but probably not as bad. Just knowing it's possible to avoid making things worse is good.

Found out today, after running a marathon in April, that if I'd have run my goal I would have missed getting into the Boston marathon by about 12 seconds. So roughly half a second per mile. I'd probably get shitfaced, or hate the world even more. 128 days. Oddly when I google that it comes up with 127 hours...which seems WAY worse than 128 days without alcohol.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #1368 (permalink)

Member # 604297
Still haven't had the control to quit but it's constantly on my mind. I think it's been a month or two since I had a day without at least a few beers. Tuesday was 8 weeks without a cigarette for me and today is day 59. I think I might set January 1st as my quit day for alcohol. I'm very scared to, not really sure why.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #1369 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Tuesday was 8 weeks without a cigarette for me and today is day 59.
That's a hell of an accomplishment. Keep it up!

Quote:
I think I might set January 1st as my quit day for alcohol. I'm very scared to, not really sure why.
I was scared shitless when I quit back at the start of this thread. Near as I can figure, it was because I was worried that even with total commitment and willpower, I still wouldn't be able to go even one day, which would have been totally demoralizing. Kind of moot now though, since I'm drinking every day again...
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #1370 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
Today is 2 weeks without a drop of alcohol for me. And I will say I have never felt better and my life is all around better.

The cravings are minimal for me, because what I have to lose is far greater than a short term buzz
Old 09-27-2019, 11:29 AM   #1371 (permalink)

Member # 604297
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
That's a hell of an accomplishment. Keep it up!

I was scared shitless when I quit back at the start of this thread. Near as I can figure, it was because I was worried that even with total commitment and willpower, I still wouldn't be able to go even one day, which would have been totally demoralizing. Kind of moot now though, since I'm drinking every day again...
Thanks. Yeah I think that is part of it for sure. Definitely scared of failure. Health-wise I really want to see how much it helps physically. And I think I'd be so much more productive

Quote:
Today is 2 weeks without a drop of alcohol for me. And I will say I have never felt better and my life is all around better.

The cravings are minimal for me, because what I have to lose is far greater than a short term buzz
Congrats, that is awesome. In what ways do you feel/are things better?
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2019, 12:07 PM   #1372 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I think I might set January 1st as my quit day for alcohol. I'm very scared to, not really sure why.
Kudos on the no smoking. It takes a while for that one to really make you feel better.

As for the second part....I might...I think....dude, just pick a day and try it. It could be "I'll do it for a month" and it's not drinking. I kind of hated the idea of picking new years to quit drinking or any holiday. Why wait another two months to say "okay NOW I think I might be willing to consider giving this a shot.." when you could just pick Monday? Need a big send off? Expect something different to happen that day then later? Can't imagine being sober through the holidays and new years? there are harder days to be sober. Today is one of those for me. It's not a holiday. It's a Friday. I already feel like shit and have had a bad week. Drinking all night tonight might bring me some happiness.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #1373 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Weekly check in?
Old 10-03-2019, 10:14 PM   #1374 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
3 weeks for me tomorrow
Old 10-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #1375 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Week #1075 for me. Still one day at a time.
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in