I quit drinking - Page 57 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 06:36 AM   #1401 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 32585
Day 7.

Doing the sober October thing. Not sure if it'll go beyond that, but needed a reset. Went to a buddy's camp this weekend armed with seltzer water, monster, and water. Was nice waking up without a hangover.

Edit: Quit chewing 15 days ago. Short term that sucked, but little urge now.

Last edited by TiTRD; 10-07-2019 at 06:43 AM.
TiTRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 06:40 AM   #1402 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiTRD View Post
Day 7.

Doing the sober October thing. Not sure if it'll go beyond that, but needed a reset. Went to a buddy's camp this weekend armed with seltzer water, monster, and water. Was nice waking up without a hangover.
I just got back from a Thur-Sun wheeling trip where I did the exact opposite.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #1403 (permalink)

Member # 159257
I can't say Bubly tastes like sodium. I don't drunk much salt water, but the Gatorade I drink has 230 mg, and sparkling water apparently has no requirement to list the ACTUAL ingredients. Either it's all the running I'm doing, or I'm somehow immune from it, but my doctor hasn't ever told me I have high sodium levels.

45ACP: gotcha. I don't recall my family telling me drinking was bad, or good, outside of a few times Mom acted like me having A beer at 15 was going to get me shitfaced, or when I had one at a graduation party, didn't try to hide it from her at all, and she gave me the "I KNEW YOU WERE DRINKING" tone. I was 18 and didn't care if she saw. I also didn't become a pothead because parents/tv/whatever told me weed was bad. So I guess I don't see how it applies. I think some people just like getting really drunk (raises hand) and other people don't like feeling that way.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #1404 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiTRD View Post
Day 7.

Edit: Quit chewing 15 days ago. Short term that sucked, but little urge now.
Good job. A month is actually pretty long. You'll have all the same feelings as someone who quits. shitty day at work, social events, someone offers a beer then asks why you aren't drinking, FOMO, etc.

Tobacco AND alcohol in the same month? Do you just hate yourself?

Waking up without a hangover is kind of what keeps me going. I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't care if I got shitfaced camping or whatever ONE night, but I sure wouldn't like it.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #1405 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 32585
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post

Tobacco AND alcohol in the same month? Do you just hate yourself?
Never really needed chew unless I was stressed or drinking. I've reduced stress and stopped drinking. If I wasn't stressed or not drinking, I'd go days or weeks without it. Was pretty easy to quit for me (so far).

Last edited by TiTRD; 10-07-2019 at 11:47 AM.
TiTRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #1406 (permalink)

Member # 110516
Been helping a friend work through quitting smoking and drinking. Smoking was easy, the drinking has been difficult. Keep strong guys, even if you have to do it minute by minute. It's tough going through it yourself, it's a whole other thing to see someone you care about struggling through it. Just remember that no matter what choices you made in the past, even if it was 10 minutes ago, you have the chance to make a different choice now. Every choice made towards your own goal is a reason to be proud of yourself even if you do fuck up again. Just keep trying and don't give up on yourself!
KDXSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #1407 (permalink)
2JZ

Member # 684802
I posted here months ago that I was gonna quit. Didn't happen. Have been a nightly whiskey drinker for years. But I haven't had any alcohol since Friday. So today is day 4 for me. Not sure if I'm gonna quit for good, I just cant keep drinking a fifth every 2-3 days. Day in and day out. Its taking its toll on my body. I haven't been sleeping much the last few days, hopefully that gets better. But 4 sober hours of sleep seems more restful than 8 hours of drunken sleep.

My daughter is getting married Saturday. It will be a "sober" wedding. No one else on either side of the family drinks. So it would just be the wife and I. Somehow I pictured myself as being the drunken belligerent Dad at my daughters wedding. Should be interesting times.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #1408 (permalink)
GiS

Member # 31285
I'll go 4-6 days sober and will feel like a million bucks, will be mentally sharper, will physically feel better/healthier/more fit and then somehow I will justify rewarding myself with a day off the wagon .. "Its Monday night football and you've been doing so well, treat yourself to a six pack and put your feet up, you've earned it!" .. then of course I find it takes me another 3-4 days to refocus and get back on track only to have the cycle repeat.

"Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose" - Lyndon B. Johnson
Rock Posse Racing #686
Driver: Joey Weber
GiS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #1409 (permalink)

Member # 19251
I started having some sort of allergic reaction to beer a couple of months ago. The last straw was a test run by drinking about 1/4 can of beer and the following day having a major hangover. After that little episode I gave up on beer and decided to stick with bourbon.

Last night I had a couple fingers of Woodford Reserve and ended up in the same boat. Fuck it, I'm done with this shit. I quit once (September 16, 1989) for almost 10 years to the day. I can do it again.

October 13, 2019
microtus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #1410 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
1 month for me today
Old 10-13-2019, 06:57 PM   #1411 (permalink)

Member # 775873
5 minutes for me .
FJC11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 10:31 AM   #1412 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
1 month for me today
That was kind of a huge day for me, but then it wasn't. I expected some big massive accomplishment feeling but it was more like "meh" which showed me just how important alcohol is. "meh" to getting hammered four to six nights a week. I thought it was so much fun for so many years, and it's just "meh" now. Keep it up. Maybe celebrate with a drink.

147...hmm...I should do something to celebrate like run a shit ton. I was sick this weekend and I was SO GLAD I didn't want, or have, beer around. Probably would have made sitting on the toilet all day/night Saturday even worse. I guess I could just get really sick again if I want a hangover. Having a shitty day at work (I strongly dislike my current position) and I know the booze wouldn't change it in any way.

FJC fuck it. You have to start somewhere. Ain't no one perfect.

2JZ how was the wedding? I had one of those, along with a family gathering where I was glad I was the sober one. Both involved driving people home. The family gathering avoided a big conflict between family and I got to see a lifestyle I'd not want for my own child. Plus weddings can be fun when you've got all the smiles and joy from being drunk partying, but wake up sore only because you're too old to act that young, and not because you drank so much.

GiS I always felt the same way. This comes to mind. https://youtu.be/uNRzq-DcDzg It's so true. It's really fun to remember this, then hang out with people getting drunk.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #1413 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
It's so true. The thought of getting my drink on is just kind of "meh" now.

I went to a concert on saturday night, and not only did I save a shit ton of money by not buying 10 dollar beers, I woke up the next day feeling great and I didn't have to go check the hood of the truck for blood wondering how I got home.

Last edited by ADD; 10-14-2019 at 10:37 AM.
ADD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #1414 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 32585
Quote:

I went to a concert on saturday night, and not only did I save a shit ton of money by not buying 10 dollar beers, I woke up the next day feeling great and I didn't have to go check the hood of the truck for blood wondering how I got home.
14 days.

Also went to a small concert Friday night. Had to have something in my hand, opted for NA beer. Sort of tasted like shit, but it did the trick.

I also realized how fucking annoying drunk people are
Old 10-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #1415 (permalink)

Member # 159257
I think drunk people are my FAVORITE people to be around. Heck, I realized how my (almost) 2 year old son is PRETTY MUCH a drunk. Took him grocery shopping and he wanted a fig bar (like a fig newton but hipster). Handed him one and grabbed a box. Oh he wants BOTH fig bars, but just wants to hold them. When I ask if I can have one I can't because they're his AND he wants to yell really loud screaming noises. So drunk, then gets some food, then settles down and he is just tired. It was AWESOME.

no way I could have handled that hungover. $10....yeah back then it was "well I better get a strong one so I can get a $40 buzz." and now it's like "fuck THAT shit, I'll get some soda and rott my teeth, AND have a better time. I saw some SUPER drunk kids (early 20s) at and Eric Church concert get removed...pretty much for being too drunk. SO GLAD I didn't spend $100 on tickets to get kicked out half way through because I pre-gamed too hard.

I might get lucky and find some concert/event where sober drivers get free soda. I threaten those people (open bar at my cousin's wedding) "I'll drink the FUCK out of some soda. Lets get all hopped up on sugar and make some bad decisions. Ever seen an adult with 160 grams of sugar in an hour? Want to?" I'm just as annoying sober as I was drunk.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #1416 (permalink)

Member # 159257
How's the party going? anyone looking forward to Halloween?
Old 11-01-2019, 10:34 PM   #1417 (permalink)

Member # 159257
165 days. 19 day run in streak.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:48 PM   #1418 (permalink)

Member # 14794
Send a message via AIM to korda
Quote:
Originally Posted by microtus View Post
I started having some sort of allergic reaction to beer a couple of months ago. The last straw was a test run by drinking about 1/4 can of beer and the following day having a major hangover. After that little episode I gave up on beer and decided to stick with bourbon.

Last night I had a couple fingers of Woodford Reserve and ended up in the same boat. Fuck it, I'm done with this shit. I quit once (September 16, 1989) for almost 10 years to the day. I can do it again.

October 13, 2019
How old are you? My wife went through that after college. All of the sudden if she drank beer she's get a super nasty hangover, no matter how little it was. Then she'd puke foam for a day. Pretty cool party trick. Apparently her dad has the same thing happen in his mid-20s.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:00 PM   #1419 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZ View Post
I posted here months ago that I was gonna quit. Didn't happen. Have been a nightly whiskey drinker for years. But I haven't had any alcohol since Friday. So today is day 4 for me. Not sure if I'm gonna quit for good, I just cant keep drinking a fifth every 2-3 days. Day in and day out. Its taking its toll on my body. I haven't been sleeping much the last few days, hopefully that gets better. But 4 sober hours of sleep seems more restful than 8 hours of drunken sleep.

My daughter is getting married Saturday. It will be a "sober" wedding. No one else on either side of the family drinks. So it would just be the wife and I. Somehow I pictured myself as being the drunken belligerent Dad at my daughters wedding. Should be interesting times.
How'd it go Woody?

Just spent 4 days drinking and eating in the Lassen forest with some buddies at a great cabin. We were there to spread the ashes of one of our crew that drank himself to death at 56. It didn't escape me that a couple of the guys there seemed to be on the same path. I have had nothing but a glass of wine with dinner since I got back. Shot some pistol at a range today, and felt like I could get sight picture much better. Gonna back off at least until next weekend when I have a long range comp, should be much less shaky and more comfortable bending into positions.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2019, 01:42 AM   #1420 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
Week 7 today for me
Old 11-02-2019, 05:21 AM   #1421 (permalink)

Member # 19251
Quote:
Originally Posted by korda View Post
How old are you? My wife went through that after college. All of the sudden if she drank beer she's get a super nasty hangover, no matter how little it was. Then she'd puke foam for a day. Pretty cool party trick. Apparently her dad has the same thing happen in his mid-20s.
I'll be 57 in December. My problems first started when I drank IPA's. They gave me major hangovers regardless of how much I had to drink. Eventually I'd end up with raging headaches after just a couple sips. Anything IPA = bad.

Other beers started to have the same effect as IPA's but it was hit or miss if they would make me sick, regardless of how much I drank. A couple of years ago I moved on to bourbon. Give me a couple fingers or 3 and some ice and I was good to go. Bourbon never gave me headaches or a hangover until recently.

Wine has always given me severe migraines
microtus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2019, 08:59 AM   #1422 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:

Nice, isn't it.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #1423 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
Nice, isn't it.
It's fantastic.....

I'm actually quite enjoying sobriety
Old 11-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #1424 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
It's fantastic.....

I'm actually quite enjoying sobriety
I've been enjoying it for almost 19 years. I can't even imagine myself going back to drinking.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #1425 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
I've been enjoying it for almost 19 years. I can't even imagine myself going back to drinking.
oh man I could. 6 pack of voodoo ranger on a Friday night on the couch up late with the TV on scrolling social media or playing video games on my phone. waking up the next morning sore a fuck thinking "this was normal? I 'powered through' THIS SHIT?"

I have a bottle of Bruery White Chocolate (13.2%) and Chocolate Rain (19.1%) 'beer' in the garage fridge. I just had thoughts of drinking one (share with family) after my upcoming marathon if I reach my goal (get IN to Boston Marathon 2021) and then realized I'll hit 6 months before Thanksgiving. Not "maybe" or "I'll try." I WILL hit 6 months sober before Thanksgiving. Not even a question. I have to look up how many days it has been sometimes cuz I stopped caring about how long it's been, or when my next beer will be, and just find other more productive things I can do with my time than drink beer. It's weird.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in