I quit drinking - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
FOF

Member # 103588
I quit drinking

After a many years of boozing I decided to call it quits. Quit for a while or quit forever hell I dunno. I was diagnosed with ptsd from my combat tours in iraq in 03 and 04 during my time in the marines. Maybe I have been hiding something maybe not. I hold a great job and make good money. I have a wonderful wife and the sweetest baby girl who is 2. I am burned out and tired of drinking. I am tired of feeling like crap. It was never an issue of drinking during work or before like my father did but it was how many beers can I have tonight.

Crack a beer in the house a sip on that but then go to the garage and slam 3 more. This behavior continued over and over on most nights. Top all that off with swigs of whiskey, crown moslty. My insides were hurting but I was fine emotionally I think. I have told myself for the last 2 years you need to stop. I would always find a reason to drink and justify it in my head. I tried to say "oh I'll only drink on the weekends" that never lasted. I think since 04 after my last tour I may have went 5 to 6 days one time without alcohol.

Anyway I don't talk much to people about shit but I've read some heavy stuff on here in the past one most recently from my buddy. So what the hell. I have a drinking problem and I am 3 days sober. I feel pretty damn good too. I have a daughter and a wife who need me around. I always joke with my wife and say "at least I have a life insurance policy" which is fawking dumb of me. I'm going to stay sober until I feel like I can be a responsible adult in my personal life and not just my professional life. I pay taxes, I work hard, I own a home etc. All that is shit if I'm a drunk.

Anyway cheers fawkers!

FRIENDS OF FORDYCE
kdub0013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 102467
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub0013 View Post
So what the hell. I have a drinking problem and I am 3 days sober. I feel pretty damn good too. I have a daughter and a wife who need me around. I always joke with my wife and say "at least I have a life insurance policy" which is fawking dumb of me. I'm going to stay sober until I feel like I can be a responsible adult in my personal life and not just my professional life. I pay taxes, I work hard, I own a home etc. All that is shit if I'm a drunk.

LigBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 151742
Good job man. Seriously. It's hard to make that decision. Even harder to stick to it but you're on the right road. I'm currently trying to quit using tobacco and used to be a very heavy drinker. The fact that I didn't drink daily made that easier to tone down on. It wasn't as much of a habit as it was a release. My habitual tobacco use is much harder for me to quit than alcohol is to control (for me). But I can relate to your situation. I hope you can stick to your goal. Just remember, it's for your family AND yourself.

Good job. Good Luck.

Last edited by Militaryman4455; 12-18-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Militaryman4455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 102591
Hard time of the year to quit, but fucking good on you dude.
-Dex- is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 218571
Good on you man. Booze is the one thing I can't quite drop like it's hot
Valon5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 196490
Good for you and good luck! /respect
Old 12-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
I'm 36 and have partied like a rock star. Seems the past couple years I'm a one night a week guy. No wife or kids so it's really just to hang with people but now it's getting to where I'd rather be able to do shit on Saturday and Sunday instead of lay around hurting all day from the night before. Guess it's time to kinda grow up a little. For me anyway. You don't need that shit. Catch another hobby that's bigger than drinking. Last winter I ditched all my friends that talked shit and were going no where. I decided at that moment to only surround myself with people that are smarter than me. I was alone and had one friend last winter and a year later, I've started a full on incorporated non profit, made some money and just purchased another one of my dream cars. I've never been happier and those haters I left behind are still at the bar at 5:30 on a Tuesday while I'm building bad ass bikes and fighting off facebook groupies. FTW
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 145218
God on you . Go ahead and check out AA and see if you like it or not . 25 years for me this year

Last edited by johny5.0; 12-18-2014 at 11:37 PM.
johny5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 36308
Good for you, it might be hard sometimes (stress, etc) but you can do it! I was a happy drinker from age 17 to about 22, then I turned into an asshole drinker. I finally got tired of the hangovers and waking up and trying to piece the night back together so I could apologize to people (usually my girlfriend) for my behavior, that I said "fuck it" and stopped. My daughter was born about the same time so it was an extra push not to drink. That was about 7 years ago, I still drink about once every 4 or 5 months but now it's easier to have a few before/with dinner then stop. I don't have that "thirst" when you crack the first drink and put the peddle to the metal (skip dinner, know I have to work the next day but keep pounding, etc..). I still allow myself one "drunk" night a year which consists of catching a good buzz and having fun, not waking up the next day with "what the fuck happened?" being the first thing that comes to mind. Stock up on water, soda, or juice and drink that during your beer time, it makes the transition a lot easier.
chromewontgetyouhome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 12:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 53528
sounds like a great idea, being a drunk is fucking lame, plenty of cool shit to enjoy in the world instead of waste it away being a drunk. i hardly ever drink, when i do its usually out camping/wheelin fordyce and only a beer or two, im sure your wife and kid will enjoy your sobriety.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 02:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Good for you.

I used to be the center of all things party related in my group of friends right up until I started driving truck. Now I won't have even a single beer the night before I'm going to be behind the wheel of a semi. I figure if I'm in a wreck a .000 bac makes it harder for an amberlamps chaser to shift liability to me.

These days I normally get drunk twice a year and have a single beer 5 or 6 times between. I guess I'm just over it.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 02:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 59753
January 6 1988 I stopped drinking. Can't really say I quit, just stopped.
Not one drop has knowingly touched my lips.
ARMY here, Thanks for your service.

Take a good look around and see all the good things you have in your life.
How fast do you want it all to turn to shit?
I think you have a slight clue that can happen.

Your buddies died, and got maimed, you did not.
On the outside anyways, hurts like hell on the inside.
Doesn't it?
Guilt is a bitch that will strip you of your humanity if you let it.

That's not your fault and it is not your burden to carry.
Your responsibility is that little 2 year old girl.
Is she going to grown up to be a smart intelligent kind girl any man would want forever.
Or she she going to be a crack/meth booze whore.
You will be surprised at how much kids learn once you stop drinking and start getting involved.
Also shocked and ashamed at the same time.
My kids are the best high ever.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Quote:
After a many years of boozing I decided to call it quits. Quit for a while or quit forever hell I dunno. I was diagnosed with ptsd from my combat tours in iraq in 03 and 04 during my time in the marines. Maybe I have been hiding something maybe not. I hold a great job and make good money. I have a wonderful wife and the sweetest baby girl who is 2. I am burned out and tired of drinking. I am tired of feeling like crap. It was never an issue of drinking during work or before like my father did but it was how many beers can I have tonight.

Crack a beer in the house a sip on that but then go to the garage and slam 3 more. This behavior continued over and over on most nights. Top all that off with swigs of whiskey, crown moslty. My insides were hurting but I was fine emotionally I think. I have told myself for the last 2 years you need to stop. I would always find a reason to drink and justify it in my head. I tried to say "oh I'll only drink on the weekends" that never lasted. I think since 04 after my last tour I may have went 5 to 6 days one time without alcohol.

Anyway I don't talk much to people about shit but I've read some heavy stuff on here in the past one most recently from my buddy. So what the hell. I have a drinking problem and I am 3 days sober. I feel pretty damn good too. I have a daughter and a wife who need me around. I always joke with my wife and say "at least I have a life insurance policy" which is fawking dumb of me. I'm going to stay sober until I feel like I can be a responsible adult in my personal life and not just my professional life. I pay taxes, I work hard, I own a home etc. All that is shit if I'm a drunk.

Anyway cheers fawkers!
I'm going to tell you something very important.

If you aren't fucking full of yourself, or even if you are, and have enough balls and some kind of inner strength/character to get over yourself, you might want to be somewhat awake to see how and what your little girl is seeing because of you.

See yourself through her eyes.

Get going.
Tigerchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 04:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchief View Post
Get going.
Pretty sure that's what he's doing.
Quote:
After a many years of boozing I decided to call it quits.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Darlington County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 04:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
Pretty sure that's what he's doing.
Oh, we got an expert drive by poster child here.

Fuck off with your bullshit, Bob.

OP: there's something bugging you deeper down. Find out what it is.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Oh, we got an expert drive by poster child here.
Ironic post is ironic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 128472
Good on you.

er

edit: spelling

[QUOTE]1. NEVER, EVER date a single mother.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=void_of_light;20712729]Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by JM93LiftedYJ; 12-19-2014 at 04:53 AM.
JM93LiftedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 04:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 198851
Do I get an "atta boy" for never becoming a drunk?
Old 12-19-2014, 05:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 79539
Good for you. And thanks for your service!

Come here to vent or be frustrated. PM coming.

I "quit" drinking several months ago and it's been wonderful!! I've lost count on how long it's been (purposefully), but close to 6 months. I found if I kept a count of how long drinking was still something in the front of my mind like it always had been. After about 30days you lose that urge and realize you are more productive without it.

I also lost a bunch of weight which I contribute heavily to the useless beer calories.

and the biggest benefit is to my family (wife and son) and friends. I'm a much better person without it. I'll still have a beer or a glass of wine in a (legitimately!) social gathering, but none in excess.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
Ironic post is ironic.
Guess you're gonna fuck up this guy's thread for your own narcissistic bullshit reasons?

Congrats. You win. (You don't actually win, since you're too much of a fucking pussy to open a thread that's meaningful on your own.)

OP was sincerely asking, and here you are making it about you.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Guess you're gonna fuck up this guy's thread for your own narcissistic bullshit reasons?

Congrats. You win. (You don't actually win, since you're too much of a fucking pussy to open a thread that's meaningful on your own.)

OP was sincerely asking, and here you are making it about you.
He asked? Looks more like a statement of reaching that point. He didn't have any question marks in his post. Good to know that thread police such as yourself are here to gauge the worthyness of threads.

Last edited by Haole; 12-19-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:27 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 226483
Glad to see you making efforts to improve your life and the lives of your family, being around a drunk sucks.

I used to drink a lot..... I didn't quit totally. I still have a beer or 2 a few times a month, mostly when I go over to the neighbors house or waiting on a table at a restaurant. I don't remember the last time I got drunk.

Thanks for your service!

Last edited by Pump Da Brakes; 12-19-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Pump Da Brakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 05:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:

Anyway cheers fawkers!
Congrats on realizing that you have a problem and doing something to fix it.
My advice, DO NOT go back to drinking, you'll just end up being the same way.
I quit almost 14 years ago and at this point I never want to go back.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 06:09 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 160769
Good job. I've just done something somewhat similar.

I'd been drinking every night for about 3 years I think. Rum and coke. Couple of BIG ones every night (think Big Gulp size), and strong. Thought I couldn't get to sleep without a buzz. Always end up staying up too late because I was "having a good time". Felt like shit the next morning getting up for work a lot of the time. I also go to school a few nights a week. I figured that when I started doing that I'd slow down, instead I'd just slam a few drinks when I got home instead of taking my time like a "normal" night.

Thing is, I don't have kids. I have my wonderful woman, but we work opposite schedules. I'm home alone every night during the week. I think boredom created the opportunity.

A couple of months ago I got sick. I haven't had the flu for at least 20 years and it finally got me one evening. Felt like shit, got home from school, poured me a drink and couldn't finish. went to bed only to wake up an hour later and barely making it to the bathroom to projectile vomit. Didn't really eat or drink anything but water for the next 2 days. After the flu went away, I didn't feel like drinking anymore.

I didn't drink a drop for at least two weeks or so. I remember trying to have a beer on a weekend and only drinking half of it, just didn't want it for some reason.

Amazingly enough, since I quit, I can go to sleep just fine much to my surprise, and at a decent hour as well. I also wake up feeling refreshed and in a decent mood. Seems the booze kept me up. Additionally, I didn't know I could get that much shit done at home during the evenings. Seems working on the house or in the garage is more productive than watching the tube and drinking! Who knew, right!?

I've since had my drinks, and I do enjoy a good scotch with a cigar, I'm sure that will never change, but I don't drink every night. I'll have a few beers on a weekend night when I'm hanging out with the GF. A bottle of rum (750ml) used to last me 2 nights, now I've had the same bottle for over a month with no danger of it running out any time soon. I've taken on a larger class load for next semester because I now seem to have all this free time to fill up with productive things.

A change that I didn't suspect is my friends reaction to how I am. I've been told things like "when did you stop being an asshole?" or "What happened that made you so nice?" and things of that nature for the last couple of months. I didn't realize I was such the curmudgeonly prick before.

I've found what works for me and hopefully I can keep it up. Good luck to you and I hope you can as well!! I'll cheers you with the gay-assed sleepytime green tea that I seem to have become accustomed to having a cup of every night!
jscwerve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 06:28 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 7940
Jan 6th will be one year alcohol free for me. It'll be tough at first, but if you've really made up your mind you can do it. I tried unsuccessfully before because I only half-heartedly wanted to quit. It's amazing how much alcohol is used in everything, commercials, music, movies, tv series, etc

My story for why I quit: I had been drinking every day for about 2 years. Not excessively, but 3-6 beers daily, sometimes a little more and usually more on weekends. I felt it was a problem, but I wasn't getting drunk every night so I ignored it. As soon as I walked in the door from work, I popped a beer.

Then on Jan 6th '14, my sister and brother-in-law stayed the night. I picked him up a 30 pack of his beer since he wouldn't be arriving until later that evening. He arrived at 6 o'clock and we headed off to bed at 9 o'clock. The next morning I grabbed a water from the beer fridge and he had 6 beers left from the 30 pack. I don't know how late he stayed up in his room drinking. I questioned him the next day and he starts basically bragging about how much he drinks. Telling me he bases his chores or daily routines on 30 packs instead of hours. i.e. mowing his acre on riding mower was a 30 pack. I haven't touched alcohol since that day just to make sure I never ended up like that. I even left my beer in the fridge until my wife gave it to the neighbor, whiskey, vodka, etc in pantry, and wine in wine fridge, which normally if there was alcohol in the house, I couldn't pass it up.
Deltaskier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in