Security camera/dvr system. Any gurus? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh

Member # 99624
Security camera/dvr system. Any gurus?

So I would like to set up a basic system on my house just to keep the perimeter in check.

I am currently looking at this one: Elec® 4CH Channel Outdoor DVR HDMI 960H CCTV Home Security Camera System 500GB | eBay

Any reason to avoid?

Only 3 sides of my house have windows/doors...so that helps a bit. I plan to have 1 camera looking across the back yard, one looking down the garage side towards the back. 1 looking across the yard from the garage in the front and 1 looking from the front door overhang towards the street/driveway.

4 cameras should cover the basics for me. Any reason to get the 8 cam setup?

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
D_JEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 26077
Send a message via AIM to another Lance
Looks cheap and low quality. Do a search for dahua or hikvision IP setups
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
another Lance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh

Member # 99624
I mean.... $150 is budget friendly

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 07-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 86582
That system is garbage and you will not be able to see shit. It is missing a lot of the information you would want to know. I am sure one could find it but the system is not worth the effort. You will spend more then that whole system for 1 good megapixel camera. If you want something you would actually be able to see one of the best budget systems is the HIKVision as mentioned above. If you need some prices with a warranty let me know.

Last edited by BassnTruck; 07-20-2015 at 06:28 PM.
BassnTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh

Member # 99624
sure, why not?

Shoot me some info on a 4 camera system. I dont need a weeks worth of video stored... but I do want remote access, motion detect, night vision, etc.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 07-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_JEEPER View Post
sure, why not?

Shoot me some info on a 4 camera system. I dont need a weeks worth of video stored... but I do want remote access, motion detect, night vision, etc.
Same here, PM me a quote too.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 30572
I have a Swann commercial system with 4 cameras and it will hold about 2 weeks of video set to record just motion sensor items

The problem is I fly an American flag on my garage 24/7 except inclement weather and it catches the flag moving in the breeze a lot

The front camera catches the bushes in the landscape moving with the wind also

Bassn truck is correct if you buy a cheaper system it will be nothing but problems.

Swann has an iPad/IPhone app that you can look at the cameras once they were set up

There is a ton of tweeking that needs to be done - the night vision will have to be adjusted if you run any outdoor lighting (we have landscape lights)

You just run the system and then if something happens you go back and check it out
Chum731 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 107832
Not a guru, but FWIW, Sam's Club and Costco have decent deals on brand name stuff (samsung, etc) with a dvr. OK for avg Joe homeowner I would imagine. I've been looking to pick one up.
ralf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 92618
It's pointless to have all the frill, but only choose 500gb or hell if they make it, less.

You think you will check it every day/week. You will, maybe for a month. Then not until you notice something is gone.

Every system I install is 2tb minimum, with offloading. 960 camera & display minimum. Poe, HD, 264 compression, motion, night vision, off site control and access, and a wide optical range. Why?

So you have undeniable, definitive proof of a suspect. Whether it's from last week, or last year.

ICrealtime is my go to. Youd be hard pressed to find a better product in my mind. or samsung (for the budget minded) has some decent offerings.

Just remember. If you skimp on price, you lose technology, evidence and confidence.

Last edited by trackerbacker; 07-20-2015 at 09:43 PM.
trackerbacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 86582
It sounds like you just need some day/night cameras. The issue is how much do you want to be able to zoom in and see when the need arises? That is where your money will be going. You want IP and not analog. Even with the 960H analog it still can not come close to the IP stuff. The higher the megapixel the more you can zoom in and see the details. It will be the difference between getting a good shot and description vs a blurry blob.

Another thing is the more cameras on the system the lower quality it can record. They bury this in the fine print on those cheap camera systems.

If you look at THIS network recorder You will see it is capable of recording 8 cameras but at a lower resolution per camera.
Difference between the megapixels.

Here is a side by side of the cheap camera vs a 3mp one.

You can really zoom in digitally on the image also to see better.

Here is a real zoom shot off a 720p camera.

Let me know what megapixel camera you think would work best and I can get you something tomorrow. It is late and I have a busy day tomorrow. Hopefully this helped teach you a little about cameras.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh

Member # 99624
Everything I will be recording will be 50ft or less distance. Wide angle lens is good because I plan to run 4 cameras...maybe 6 for the right price. I can definitely overlap with wide angle for how I need my house to be set up.

I do not want CIF. at least 960H. Remote viewing is desired with email notification of motion detect or something. (Can you disable motion detection on just one camera?) I have a pretty decent internet connection to handle the bandwidth of remote viewing (30mbps down/20mbps up) With my house, wired cameras will work fine and I actually prefer it.

I do not intend to spend $400 on a camera system... it just isnt in the budget. I would rather spend $200 max and possibly upgrade the cameras/dvr later on when I can afford it.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 07-21-2015, 06:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 86582
If you have a $200 budget right now you will not in the IP camera game. You will be looking at systems like in the OP. One camera would be or blow your budget.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh

Member # 99624
Yeah, I really dont want the IP camera type, though, working in the IT industry, I know the benefits.

I really like the spider graph design of a central hub to remote into. Honestly, I was debating on building a Xeon processor computer to run the system on and remote in via that. but with the OP, the system is already set up. I might use a stand alone computer for data replication though.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 07-21-2015, 06:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 92618
Man, didn't know we could pimp without a star! Pm me and I'll beat his prices!!! 11111!!! 1! But I would go with bassntruck, his cameras read into the future. (Biggest telltale sign of overlay resolution quality is timestamps, that will be an arguing point in court)

Asking him, or them what megapixel camera they want without price point is an exercise in futility. Be ready for sticker shock on one GOOD 2mp,1080 camera, not including a dvr/nvr. And CIF, well, if there's a CIF rating, it's not truly HD and you might as well stay with bnc and analog cctv.

Didn't mention anything about a monitor for playback. That's highly dependent a well. Cabling as well as rj45s
Old 07-21-2015, 06:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 92618
Bassn may agree with me. Or not.....

You're an idiot. You want to build a computer, you want a $200 system with 4 to 6 cameras, so you can remotely view or do data replication?

Spend the money for a real system, samsung used to sell a decent 8 cam hybrid system for 900 or so,even blue iris is out of your budget, or get a dog.

Pipe dreams
Old 07-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 43637
See this shit is so confusing for me.

I need something with 8 cameras, excellent quality (not NSA/FBI see your crotch hairs, but very clean) and the ability to record.

I keep my surrounding area pretty well lit with landscape lighting, and dual brite motion lights. But around midnight, most go dark and only motion left. That makes my night vision capabilities a little tricky. As if something is out of range, IR or night vision will pick them up. But if they activate a motion light, then the camera will switch to day mode and barely see much since it's very low light.

You guys seem like you know your stuff...................which is what everyone around here does . But would you say $1,000 to $1,200 would be a good enough budget for 8 good cameras and a large recording system with off-site accessibility?
[QUOTE=PAToyota;19894137]Back in college, we were making up acetylene balloons and putting them in a box to take off to light. Guy comes into the room, goes "Balloons!" and grabs a balloon, rubs it on his head, and sticks it to the wall... Everyone was diving for cover... :D[/QUOTE]
Ol'Customcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Abby...someone

Member # 48547
Subscribing
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
edglock21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 14221
Send a message via AIM to ABQ-TJ Send a message via Yahoo to ABQ-TJ
I recently installed this one at my house

Amazon.com: Annke® 4CH 720P HD POE NVR Security Camera System with 4 Weatherproof 720P Indoor/Outdoor 100ft Night Vision IP Security Camera 1TB HDD Easy Remote Access: Camera & Photo

$270 shipped.

4 PoE IP Cams, 1TB NVR, Infrared, etc.

App works great from my phone

ABQ-TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 92618
If you plan to install it yourself, and look around yeah, albeit my dealer costs have systems in that neighborhood, you should be able to get everything you are looking for, maybe in a 1tb 4cam or similar configuration.
Like I said. Samsung has decent grade at that level. Speco if you can find it, ICrealtime for my primo clients.

I won a SDH-P5081 from Samsung and gave it away as promotional item a long while ago. It wasn't to bad, but not 'sturdy' or rock solid as j would like. But that's fine, I got to play with another piece of tech.

Im not feeling up to figuring out posting pictures.I'll email someone willing to post a day/night of that midgrade system

Last edited by trackerbacker; 07-21-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ-TJ View Post

Amazon.com: Annke® 4CH 720P HD POE NVR Security Camera System with 4 Weatherproof 720P Indoor/Outdoor 100ft Night Vision IP Security Camera 1TB HDD Easy Remote Access: Camera & Photo

$270 shipped.

Wow, I'm liking that. Thoughts on this vs the Samsung sds-3040?
The Samsung has nicer looking cameras but only 500gb sucks.

Last edited by welndmn; 07-21-2015 at 09:25 AM.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 14221
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
Wow, I'm liking that.
For the price, it's hard to beat.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 14221
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
Wow, I'm liking that. Thoughts on this vs the Samsung sds-3040?
The Samsung has nicer looking cameras but only 500gb sucks.
Those Samsung are coax, so you'll need to find power near the cameras.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh

Member # 99624
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ-TJ View Post

$270 shipped.

Helpful post is helpful!
Thats a good bang for the buck system

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 07-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 92618
Or send power over Siamese cable kr separate power with coax. The draw back, as good quality resolution you see, is its a very narrow field of view.

Adding satas and configuring for offloading to it helps on small drives.

These are the samsung 1080p, not the sharpest or greatest, but or the price and packages, as well as offsite control, probably perfect for what most of you are looking to do themselves.

The peak of the roof is 20-25' where the camera is mounted. You can extrapolate the rest.

https://fbcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.ne...35410747b33bce

https://fbcdn-photos-a-a.akamaihd.ne...c37b6aa23a9f59
Old 07-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 68521
trackerbacker

Can you post a link to the camera and packages you mention above.
findley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in