Why shouldn't I do it? - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2016, 09:04 AM   #126 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPurdueYJ View Post
Thoughts?
Uh, isn't that our question? You ain't said shit until today, and don't seem to have a plan together.

Mental Masturbation Much?

Back to the original post....

Have you ever mountain biked? Don't underestimate the amount of it, nor how much harder it is to pedal. From the moment you kit the Rockies, it will be one mountain range after another

If you make it that far, I'll meet you in Middlegate NV after you've gone over roughly half the state.

Sure we can arrange a meet and greet, with the (old) prostitutes that own the place.
That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 94825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
Uh, isn't that our question? You ain't said shit until today, and don't seem to have a plan together.

Mental Masturbation Much?

Back to the original post....

Have you ever mountain biked? Don't underestimate the amount of it, nor how much harder it is to pedal. From the moment you kit the Rockies, it will be one mountain range after another

If you make it that far, I'll meet you in Middlegate NV after you've gone over roughly half the state.

Sure we can arrange a meet and greet, with the (old) prostitutes that own the place.
You are derping pretty hard this morning.

Last edited by RedPurdueYJ; 01-19-2016 at 09:10 AM.
RedPurdueYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 627858
I took back roads from NC to Santa Monica Pier last summer on a motorcycle and it was the best trip I've ever been on. No way id do it on a bicycle but I can see the attraction if that's your thing. Go for it while you can.

Last edited by CalypsoNotch; 01-19-2016 at 10:03 AM.
CalypsoNotch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 84965
Do it! But come up with something besides a backpack, you'll regret wearing one on that ride.
xr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ed View Post
Do it! But come up with something besides a backpack, you'll regret wearing one on that ride.
He's looking at a proper bike to run panniers. Please tell us that the backpack is a no-go. And, I cannot emphasize fitment of the bike enough. It's not enough that the bike is the right size and the seat feels about right. There are proper angles/distances that are critical for comfort. You get it setup with a pro, and then you dial it in to your best comfort from there. A friend was complaining about discomfort on his mountain bike. Four or five miles was killing his butt. I got him dialed in on fit, and the pain is gone. He was reaching for the pedals, and it was chewing up his ass. Also, while reaching each stroke (and not realizing it) the pressure (psi) that would normally be on both cheeks was only on one. When you half the area you double the downward force on each side. That makes a big difference, but is difficult to diagnose while on the bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rugger; 01-19-2016 at 11:44 AM.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 14221
Send a message via AIM to ABQ-TJ Send a message via Yahoo to ABQ-TJ
You should consider packing an entire 1/2 barrel keg of beer on your back for "nutrition"

ABQ-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #132 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ-TJ View Post
You should consider packing an entire 1/2 barrel keg of beer on your back for "nutrition"

You could make lots of friends along the way, if you ride this:

That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #133 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATRKS84 View Post
#1 prob take you longer to get home on amtrak
#2 the snow hasnt melted in the mountains in april
#3 your boohole is gonna be sore
Whose boo hole is sore?
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
Whose boo hole is sore?
@IEATRKS84

rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #135 (permalink)
GJC

Member # 26181
Quote:
Whose boo hole is sore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
Old 01-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 95448
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPurdueYJ View Post
No, the padded shorts I finally picked up help a lot. Most of the soreness is in the tops and sides of my thighs, so I've started to incorporate more lifting into my schedule.

First, congratulations on getting in shape/losing the weight!

If you don't mind me asking, what shorts are you using? I'm almost finished with my bike and need to acquire some riding gear. I am nowhere near as serious as you but I need the padded shorts!

Best of luck on your training and ride, and if you decide to make it a fundraiser I'd love to chip in!
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #137 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 180649
Quote:
Whose boo hole is sore?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJC View Post

Just to make sure he sees it
clastic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #138 (permalink)

Member # 94825
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gun View Post
First, congratulations on getting in shape/losing the weight!

If you don't mind me asking, what shorts are you using? I'm almost finished with my bike and need to acquire some riding gear. I am nowhere near as serious as you but I need the padded shorts!

Best of luck on your training and ride, and if you decide to make it a fundraiser I'd love to chip in!
They are Cannondale riding shorts with the padded crotch/butt/taint area. Makes a world of difference.

Thanks! I'm still in the first stages of planning, so a departure date is still unknown.

Hell, I still don't even have a proper bike or equipment, lol. Was just bumping this up to seek opinions, mostly from rugger as he seems to be a wealth of information on this shit, on the motobecane bike.

Last edited by RedPurdueYJ; 01-19-2016 at 02:26 PM.
RedPurdueYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 94825
Quote:
He's looking at a proper bike to run panniers. Please tell us that the backpack is a no-go. And, I cannot emphasize fitment of the bike enough. It's not enough that the bike is the right size and the seat feels about right. There are proper angles/distances that are critical for comfort. You get it setup with a pro, and then you dial it in to your best comfort from there. A friend was complaining about discomfort on his mountain bike. Four or five miles was killing his butt. I got him dialed in on fit, and the pain is gone. He was reaching for the pedals, and it was chewing up his ass. Also, while reaching each stroke (and not realizing it) the pressure (psi) that would normally be on both cheeks was only on one. When you half the area you double the downward force on each side. That makes a big difference, but is difficult to diagnose while on the bike.
I've settled on the trek 520. I got fitted, and it's the closest bike to ideal frame size/top tube length.
Once I have the bike, I'll go through the professional fitting process.
I'll be doing the RAIN ride which is 160 miles in a day. I'm doing a half marathon in early November 2016, so realistic departure is not until spring/summer 2017.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #140 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22104
A friend of mine did Tx to Portland on somewhat of a 23 year olds whim. Slept on the roadside or where ever a bed was offered. Went north then the Colorado rt. I posted about it on here but I can ask him anything you need to know. He did minimal training though and I'm sure everything wrong. He is going to move to Uganda next.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 28604
HIGHLY consider getting a Brooks saddle. Take care of it, break it in properly (500mi min). It's comfortable for atleast 40 miles wearing jeans and boxers; with riding shorts, it's like sitting on the couch.

Buy one, you can thank me later.
Rerock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in