have any of you accidentally had a gun go off - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
have any of you accidentally had a gun go off

With everyone's greater then thou gun safety attitude in the other thread it just made me wonder.

I did about 10 years ago and I still think about it everytime Ive handled a firearm since. I was grabbing my 22 out of my truck and it slipped out of my hand. When I went to grab/catch it my finger slipped into the trigger ring. The shot hit the ground next to me and luckily no one was hurt. To this day I can't say why the gun was loaded and weather or not the safety was on before the incedent.
I was raised around guns and know how to handle them. (I know, hard to argue after the story^^^). But just curious if anyone else had a story to share or some incedent that made you 10x more cautious then before.
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 86724
no.

the closest I ever came was a scout that had a hangfire in a single shot 22.
little bastard pulled it behind the firing line and pointed it at my belly.

only kid I ever tossed from the range.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
G_P

Member # 139985
Nope.

A local police chief here said that it is normal for it to happen though. That was his excuse when a detective shot her neighbors house while cleaning her gun.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 98578
I don't like the word 'accidentally' in this context. Nothing about these instances are purely accidental; it is negligence (short of an actual malfunction of the weapon obviously). Follow the four safety rules and it won't happen, period.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 37519
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
But just curious if anyone else had a story to share or some incedent that made you 10x more cautious then before.
I'm now 10x more cautious than before about ever being around you and guns
[COLOR="Black"].....[/COLOR]//'...'/`
[COLOR="Black"]..[/COLOR]/'/.../..../......./\
[COLOR="Black"].[/COLOR]('(.......... ~/'...')
[COLOR="Black"]....[/COLOR]\.................'...../
[COLOR="Black"]......[/COLOR]''...\.......... _.
[COLOR="Black"].......[/COLOR]\..............(
[COLOR="Black"].........[/COLOR]\.............\
mudslinger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 104966
Had my shotgun accidentally go off when I was 12. Fresh off my gun safety class and deer hunting for the first time with the old man. Bored out of my mind in the stand to I decided to walk the fields. I swore the safety was on as I was swinging that guy around pretending to hip shoot (still thinking the safety was on) and BOOM!. Thankfully no one was around and no one got hurt. I went numb from fear.

Fawk, I remember that like it was 5min ago and my hands are sweating just typing this.
bbaxter51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 141297
Yes. My first gun was a single shot 20g shotgun. I was walking thru the woods with my dad and tripped pulling the trigger as I fell. The gun was pointed in the air so it didn't hit anything, but my dad was pissed and scared at the same time.

From that moment on I keep my finger out of the trigger gaurd unless I'm about to shoot something.

FWIW My dad did tell me not to walk around with my finger on the trigger, but I was young and didn't listen very well. If he had noticed me walking with my finger in the gaurd he probably would have whipped me. lol
saddis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Buddy of mine did it with a .45 in his room when he was like 18. Went through 2 walls, like 6 layers of cabinets and stuck in the drywall in the garage.

Years later his incredibly dumbass girlfriend shot the ground about an inch away from her foot with his .22 pistol.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaxter51 View Post
Had my shotgun accidentally go off when I was 12. Fresh off my gun safety class and deer hunting for the first time with the old man. Bored out of my mind in the stand to I decided to walk the fields. I swore the safety was on as I was swinging that guy around pretending to hip shoot (still thinking the safety was on) and BOOM!. Thankfully no one was around and no one got hurt. I went numb from fear.

Fawk, I remember that like it was 5min ago and my hands are sweating just typing this.
sounds like it did what it was supposed to

pull trigger, go boom.

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 90077
Never had that happen, but we used to go plinking a lot when I was a teen, and we used to buy/sell/trade quite a few guns at swap meets (nobody ever asked for ID). Buddy picked up an old Winchester .22 semi auto rifle at one meet and the first time we took it out shooting, he aimed and pulled the trigger and nothing happened. Unshouldered it to take a look and when he let his finger off the trigger it released a burst of about 3-4 shots full auto

We had a lot of fun that day with the "machine gun". He got rid of it pretty quickly, don't remember what he did with it.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
I've had the opposite problem though

find something worthy of adding holes to, pull trigger and...click! no boom. ugga-mugga...I hate when they accidentally don't go off

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rusted.

Member # 132785
Yes. Deer hunting as a group during shotgun season. We were climbing a hillside out of a valley after a drive and there was a guy walking behind me and another guy that was at my right. The guy behind us slipped in the snow and fell, and when the butt of his shotgun hit the ground it went off. The guy beside me and myself both hit the ground, and we both said we could feel the air rush on the back of our heads from the shot going off. The guy behind us was white as a ghost because he thought he shot one of us. He swore his hand was no where near the trigger, and the guy walking next to him vouched for him. It was a remington 1100 12 gauge. All I know is I'm glad the guy did what he could to keep the barrel pointed up as he fell.
Tin Roof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 67823
Yes. Trap shooting on a shitty cold rainy day. When I was 13 or 14. Thumb slipped on the hammer of my old single shot and discharged into the ground in front of me.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 116537
No.

I was raised around guns and taught to treat them with the respect they deserve. In particular, my dad insisted that the first thing you do any time you touch a gun is to check it to see if it's loaded--even if you are 100% sure it is not. Kind of a force of habit thing to keep you from fucking up.

Well, I came home from college one time and we decided to go rabbit hunting. My dad handed me a shotgun from the closet. Of course, I habitually check it. It was loaded. I said, "dad, I can't believe you just handed me a loaded gun without checking it."

He actually felt rather horrible about it--remembers it to this day.
emiller22207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 43837
When I was 5 or 6, some lady was laughing during conversation with some people at skeet range about 15 feet from me and somehow managed to shoot the ground. Got dust on everyone around but didn't hit anyone.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 1889
No, but when I pulled up the carpet in my basement office, I found a splattered bullet underneath. Some searching eventually turned up a small hole in the ceiling, and another in the subfloor above, but not in the carpet above that. Since we had the carpet installed when we moved in, I concluded that somebody living in my house before me, had shot through the master bedroom floor into the basement.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 116537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Roof View Post
Yes. Deer hunting as a group during shotgun season. We were climbing a hillside out of a valley after a drive and there was a guy walking behind me and another guy that was at my right. The guy behind us slipped in the snow and fell, and when the butt of his shotgun hit the ground it went off. The guy beside me and myself both hit the ground, and we both said we could feel the air rush on the back of our heads from the shot going off. The guy behind us was white as a ghost because he thought he shot one of us. He swore his hand was no where near the trigger, and the guy walking next to him vouched for him. It was a remington 1100 12 gauge. All I know is I'm glad the guy did what he could to keep the barrel pointed up as he fell.
I have an 1100--nice shotgun. Was he walking with the safety off, or did he somehow release the safety when he fell?
emiller22207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 27575
I was shooting a friend's tricked out 10/22, which has the trigger tuned to release at a gnats fart's worth of pressure. He didn't tell me about this and while I did have it pointed down range, me brushing the trigger with my fingers set it off. Scared the shit out of me and needless to say I am much more conscious of keeping my finger off the trigger until I am ready.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 36822
Decades ago, we were hunting. Our party consisted of my Dad, me and one of my Dad's friends. At the end of the day, my Dad's friend laid his Rem 700 on his hotel bed. To see if it was still loaded he pulled the trigger. Bullet went through three walls, some furniture, two beds, narrowly missed my Dad and me (in a different room) and finally splattered on the spare tire rack on my Dad's truck. Biggest shit storm that little town had seen evar.

The friend didn't just become more careful handling guns, he NEVER touched one ever again. Probably shouldn't have touched one in the first place. Can't call it an accidental discharge either, more of a negligent discharge (as above).
Old 10-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 98578
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGreg5 View Post
I don't like the word 'accidentally' in this context. Nothing about these instances are purely accidental; it is negligence (short of an actual malfunction of the weapon obviously). Follow the four safety rules and it won't happen, period.
Going to quote myself as this pertains to all of the above stories about guns 'going off'
Old 10-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rusted.

Member # 132785
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiller22207 View Post
I have an 1100--nice shotgun. Was he walking with the safety off, or did he somehow release the safety when he fell?
The guy walking next to him took the gun from him and helped him up. When he checked the gun was still on safe. Not saying the first guy didn't bump it back after the shot, but who knows.
I have an 1100 20-gauge that I've never had an issue with.
Tin Roof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 28792
Sorta.

I was doing a trigger job on a new Phoenix Arms .22 pistol.

Pulled the bullet and dumped the powder from a round to use as a test round since I was working in the living room. After filing and polishing all the parts and assembling it. I was going through the motions of testing function and safety. I locked the slide back, put the shell in the chamber and slammed a mag in.

POP!

I had a WTF moment but the ex really got a scare.

Ended up filing a sharper point into the hammer and shot the hell out of that little gun until the slide broke.

If .22 was readily and cheaply available still, I'd own at least 2 of them little guns.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 171786
Fortunately I've never done that.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
Sin52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Smoke View Post
I was shooting a friend's tricked out 10/22, which has the trigger tuned to release at a gnats fart's worth of pressure. He didn't tell me about this and while I did have it pointed down range, me brushing the trigger with my fingers set it off. Scared the shit out of me and needless to say I am much more conscious of keeping my finger off the trigger until I am ready.
I did that once shooting a 1911. I had shot all kinds of other guns with stiff triggers that day. Put my finger on the trigger of the 1911. Boom! Scared the crap out of me!

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 855
when I was a kid I had a Rem 700 go off just after I finished cleaning it. I put a round in clicked it on safety then clicked the safety off and boom the gun went off. I read later this is known problem with the gun so I am seriously careful now. The 30-06 round went through 3 2x4's and a wall, never did find the slug. Thank God nobody was hurt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in