Bass Pro Shops considering offer to buy Cabela's...? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
The reno one is the one I was speaking of. It's 4 hours away and until a few months ago bass pro was 3 hours.
If the reno Is a "good" cabellas you really need to check out the bass pro shops in Modesto and Sacramento. I heard the new bass pro in San Jose is amazing but I haven't been there yet as they just opened last wednesday.
I've been in literally every Bass Pro and Cabela's West of the Mississippi, including San Jose.
east_beast is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj42 View Post
Can you expand on that?

I like Cabela's better and I used to be able to go to the Bass Pro in Springfield whenever I wanted. The NRA gun museum got added after I left, but it is pretty nice. I've heard it described that Cabela's is hunting store with a fishing section and BPS is a fishing store with a hunting section and that seems to fit.
What you said about them is relatively accurate, but if that was the whole of it then it would be an ideal merger in theory. However, I'm talking more about behind the scenes type stuff. Buying processes and inventory management procedures and just general business practices. They're nearly polar opposites in terms of the way they run their business. There's plusses and minuses to both. I'm not going to expound on that further as I don't want to divulge any proprietary info and I'm not saying that one is inherently better than the other, they're just very, very different.

Last edited by east_beast; 11-11-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 174037
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil,yota View Post
If you want real outdoor gear you have to find a cabelas or a bass pro shop
That sucks. I've been to a cabelas once and a bass pro. They are cool but I feel like you pay more for the novelties. I find that in PA there are lots of great small time shops all over the state that have way more to offer than those mega stores.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
will12785 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS View Post
Someone needs to tell Elliott Management to STFU. Bass Pro sucks compared to Cabela's.
Yes, I have never been to a bass pro shop but their online store sucks. We have a mini cabelas which is decent for ammo and reloading, plus free site to store shipping.
Norm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 57161
Quote:
Out here cabbellas licks nuts and are only 1/4 the size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Yes, I have never been to a bass pro shop but their online store sucks. We have a mini cabelas which is decent for ammo and reloading, plus free site to store shipping.
Same here. And you can't walk 10 ft without someone offering you a credit card application. It's ridiculous.
" Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes....But when a long train of abuses and usurpations.... it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
cannoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #31 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine4x4 View Post
Honestly, unless you're just window shopping both suck pretty hard. Prices are outrageous.
Maybe for firearms but cabelas has customer service that won me over hands down over poor crappy service basspro. Their original store out here in Springfield mo was a cool place until they took all their mounts and exotic animals out and put them into a pay to see building. Once that happened I stopped going there. Then years later they opened a store up near where I live and poor customer service made me stop going there.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by will12785 View Post
That sucks. I've been to a cabelas once and a bass pro. They are cool but I feel like you pay more for the novelties. I find that in PA there are lots of great small time shops all over the state that have way more to offer than those mega stores.

Small places around here break it off in your backside compared to cabelas. Cabelas has pretty good sales at times too along with great products. I can't imagine what's not to like really.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Blech.

More Merger. Sucks. Cabela's in Reno has cooler fish in tank than Bass Pro Rocklin has stuffed shit on the wall.

Note also the use of the apostrophe.

Better hotter chicks at the Walmart Superstore Rocklin, shares parking lot with BP, fertile hunting ground for spandex lard ass moose paw hotties.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 19304
Send a message via MSN to gipper Send a message via Yahoo to gipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine4x4 View Post
Honestly, unless you're just window shopping both suck pretty hard. Prices are outrageous.
Not true. Cabelas has great waders at very good prices. Their house brand stuff can be a pretty good deal.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 64554
Quote:
Originally Posted by gipper View Post
Not true. Cabelas has great waders at very good prices. Their house brand stuff can be a pretty good deal.
I've found Cabellas has a good range of price points. House brand which is normally pretty good. They also have the name brand shit that's the same price as everybody else. That's everywhere except firearms. No idea why the firearms are so high.

I'm wearing a pair of Merrell hiking boots right now that I picked up at Cabellas for right around or under a hundred. I wore a columbia fishing shirt with NCAA licensed logo yesterday I picked up for $24. I picked up a Lee 30/30 die set the other day for $20 off of their sale table because they had ordered too many of them.

Or I could spend $800 for a yetti. Whatever people want to spend they will take.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 171786
We got a mini Cabbella's catalog and I hit a grand just looking at a meat grinder and a dehydrator lol.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
Sin52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 64554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin52 View Post
We got a mini Cabbella's catalog and I hit a grand just looking at a meat grinder and a dehydrator lol.
I've never looked at their catalogs. I go in the brick and mortar store while my wife is shopping. It's conveniently located in the middle of the area where my wife shops and takes me with her. By that I mean I drive her to the outdoor mall and let her out and then go to cabellas or twin peaks or best buy.

In the store, they have sale tables and my favorite is the bargain cave. They just mark shit down in there until it's gone. I got some really nice store brand hiking pants for $3 in there is my best score so far. I just missed a nice leupold scope that had been discontinued for around half price. A guy was buying it as I was walking in and the dude was practically dancing. I asked if they had any more and the old guy said no, but I suspect he was holding one back for a buddy.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyTJ View Post
I've never looked at their catalogs. I go in the brick and mortar store while my wife is shopping. It's conveniently located in the middle of the area where my wife shops and takes me with her. By that I mean I drive her to the outdoor mall and let her out and then go to cabellas or twin peaks or best buy.

In the store, they have sale tables and my favorite is the bargain cave. They just mark shit down in there until it's gone. I got some really nice store brand hiking pants for $3 in there is my best score so far. I just missed a nice leupold scope that had been discontinued for around half price. A guy was buying it as I was walking in and the dude was practically dancing. I asked if they had any more and the old guy said no, but I suspect he was holding one back for a buddy.
Cabela's with a Bargain Cave within walking distance of a Best Buy and a Twin Peaks...

I'll take a stab at it and say Rogers, Arkansas?
Old 11-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 64554
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
Cabela's with a Bargain Cave within walking distance of a Best Buy and a Twin Peaks...

I'll take a stab at it and say Rogers, Arkansas?
Yeah.

Edit: Since you are knowledgeable about the inner workings, who manufactures their tractors?

Last edited by JunkyTJ; 11-11-2015 at 03:26 PM.
JunkyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyTJ View Post
Yeah.

Edit: Since you are knowledgeable about the inner workings, who manufactures their tractors?
No clue on their tractors.

Well, evidently it's a Korean outfit by the name of TYM.

http://www.thecreole.com/?p=16507

Last edited by east_beast; 11-11-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #41 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsize80cherokee View Post
I really like the bass pro in Springfield but they're all just Walmart with taxidermied shit all over the place.
My sentiments exactly.

I used to ogle at the catalog and loved all the "stuff" but when I finally went in one of their stores the majority of the "stuff" was just store brand private label made In China junk.

Bass Bro just opened a few miles from me and I haven't even bothered to go check it out.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 141714
Sounds like a crap idea. We had something happen like that where Dicks moved in and bought out a regional chain of outdoors stores (Galyans). Stores in the process of being built got sold and service and selection went to shit.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #43 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Quote:
Out here cabbellas licks nuts and are only 1/4 the size.
San Jose BP sucks, only one isle of saltwater stuff and Zero Penn International reels!

BUY MY BOAT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
San Jose BP sucks, only one isle of saltwater stuff and Zero Penn International reels!
One thing a lot of national chains struggle with is doing a relatively poor job of tailoring their individual store selections for the local market.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 110475
Quote:
Originally Posted by gipper View Post
I have two pairs of their waders. I do agree they are a decent deal. The boot foots tend to leak at the boot seam after one season of decent use. The booty foot ones are much better in my experience. The over the counter exchange is pretty nice when they wear out, but my closest one with my waders is 3hrs away. When my current every day pair wears out I'll be going Simms. If you lived close by one I can see the appeal.

For name brand stuff, their prices tend to be higher than many other stores or specialty shops. Shipping is expensive. Name brand stuff is hit or miss. The waders like mentioned are a good deal. The hip pack I bought when I got my waders disintegrated after two trips, literally just unraveled on the river. I'd rather buy quality and local honestly, but thats hard on some stuff where I'm at.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 110820
Quote:
Originally Posted by will12785 View Post

Gander Mountain in Washington P.A. is pretty good.
I HATE PONIES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #47 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26382
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 Jeep View Post
New Bass Pro in Rocklin (Sac) is smaller than Cabela's in Reno and from what I've heard much smaller than the BP in Manteca. I was very excited about it opening since I live a couple miles away, but it was very underwhelming once I went in there. Still glad it's there though, since it has everything I could possibly want .... except 22lr ammo.
I went in there the other day because I was already at the Walmart next door. I was underwhelmed. The Manteca one is much nicer, even though they probably have the same amount of merchandise. Cabelas in Reno is better than them both and Scheels is better than them all.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #48 (permalink)
G_P

Member # 139985
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgraham View Post
The fact that people still shop at these places blows my mind. They are building a massive new Cabela's here 10 mins away from the massive Bass Pro they built a few years ago. I've never been to either and I normally just order whatever I need online. If it can't be bought online I'd rather deal with a mom and pop.
The Cabelas here is basically a tourist trap. The whole middle of the store is a display of taxidermy and an aquarium and they have other museum type exhibits throughout the store. Tons of people bring their kids there just to look. They count on the families buying a few overpriced hats or shirts each visit.
Their used gun prices are just stupid. I've seen Hi-Points that looked like they were dragged behind a truck for sale used for $129 while 2 cases down the same gun was for sale new for $149. Every used gun they sell is priced like gold.

The only thing I buy there is reloading gear. They are the only place around where you can actually get your hands on the gear and feel it out before buying it. The local FFL's that do carry reloading gear have very limited selections.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #49 (permalink)
Abby...someone

Member # 48547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
field and Stream is kiddie shit compared to BP and Cabelas
It's also owned by Dick's Sporting Goods - so they can suck it.
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
edglock21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #50 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
My sentiments exactly.

I used to ogle at the catalog and loved all the "stuff" but when I finally went in one of their stores the majority of the "stuff" was just store brand private label made In China junk.

Bass Bro just opened a few miles from me and I haven't even bothered to go check it out.
And like who doesn't have most all their shit made in China?

Most everything I've bought from cabelas is pretty good quality products considering the cost.

People can bash gunbroker for firearms but through the years (other then the Obama panic) I've gotten better deals through there then anywhere. Only one local place here will deal some but rest are high.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in