Who has had a heart attack? - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2015, 04:40 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 13420
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
... and dying while doing something you love and propped up against a big old oak tree ain't such a bad way to go if you get to choose.
That was kind of my thoughts. I was out in the woods, with my dog, doing what I love. The air was cool and nice.
I was with a friend that is a recovering meth addict. I have been keeping him busy and offering guidance and encouragement.

I was thinking "If I go down, I don't want him doing CPR on me"

Always take a poison word as a promise.
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015, 04:57 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 74407
You need to calm down or you're gonna give yourself a heart atta....ohhh...uhh nevermind.

Threads like this make me start thinkin about my own mortality. And Im only 34.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #53 (permalink)
I should be working

Member # 18829
I had a cardiac "episode" a couple years ago at age 34. I'm healthy and have no history of issues. I went to the ER and they immediately took me back and went all over me with tests and stuff. My BP had spiked WAY up and my heart rate was very high. I all of a sudden was lightheaded, had a massive headache, nose bleed, and some other weird symptoms. Final diagnosis was some sort of random spike in my BP probably related to stress (despite me not being under much stress at the time of the event nor dong anything strenuous).
Old 11-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 1930
If you go to the ER in an ambulance there is no waiting. I found this out the hard way a few weeks ago. Sitting at my desk at work, hr goes through the roof, light headed, nausea, blurred vision etc. shook it off went for walk. Still felt terrible that evening so I went to the med express. They took my Blood pressure and immediately called the ambulance. EKG in ambulance, EKG and blood work at ER. They check your cardiac enzymes to see if you had a MI. My BP was just through the roof, poor girls at med express thought I was going to stroke out right then and there. I had no family dr so I had to go to the care clinic the next day at the hospital, they gave me a script for bp meds and referred me to a cardiologist. Now I have to have a stress test, echo, all that junk. I've never used my insurance and I'm scared to see what the bills are going to be

I eat right, cholesterol is good, fit, exercise 5-6 days a week, minimal booze and at the ripe old age of 37 I'm now on 3meds for hypertension. Literally go from never taking meds for anything to now have to take something forever. I'm fighting bad genetics.

Next time it happens go to the fire department that will probably be your best bet for a quick EKG since you are in BfE. Your bp could have dropped really low as well, low bp put my father in law in the hospital recently. Bp fluctuations are hard on your kidneys.
YJ4RoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015, 07:38 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 89997
More than likely you will get a clean bill of health from the cardiologist, I did for about 5 years before I had a heart attack, but I am diabetic so that changes some things, take a baby aspirin before bed.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:52 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Dont take my word for it BUT...

My father and I have both had that happen to us. my first time was before a lacrosse game in college. freeky!

Rapid, massive pounding that stops after a bit, then you feel funny. It can be a sensitivity to caffene or adreniline. The Cardio Dr instructed both my father and I on how to stop it. If you squeeze your entire body like you are trying to shit a bowling ball, it will stop.

I am not saying thats it, but it happend to me in college and one other time. Now that I drink beer and each chicken wings, it doesn happen any more. I would only get it when I was training for a marathon or lacrosse. stopped happening to my father since he doesnt run too much anymore also.

We also, both tested 100% normal, after the episodes.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Mild heart attack might be what you had but symptoms also sound like Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.. Its kind of a shot in the dark, especially for someone your age, but I know 3 people that had it. Symptoms are near identical to heart attack.

I'll be praying for you buddy

[QUOTE=xyjbeaker;9759686]"mexican food reminds you of my face?"[/QUOTE]
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #58 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZuk View Post
I was thinking "If I go down, I don't want him doing CPR on me"
I have wrestled with this. On one hand a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) seems like a no brainer for me. When I'm done, I'm done. I don't want to live in any kind of burden to anyone around me and I am cool with dying (goes back to my depressive nature).

On the other hand, the kid changes everything. The effects of my decision not to do everything possible to be there for her is one I don't think I can make.

I need to make a living will in case I become a vegetable
Old 11-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 4650
Quote:
They did an EKG last night at the clinic. There was an RN, PA, and then a DR reviewed it. Everything appeared normal, but they aren't cardiologists.
You do not need to be a cardiologist to properly and thoroughly read an EKG.
If it came up normal, its normal.

At most i would go do a stress test.

Avoid aspirin a day recommendation UNLESS it is 100% proven you had a heart attack.
The FDA came out and told MD's and the public (over a year ago) that the ONLY people that should be doing the aspirin thing (with a benefit that JUST outweighs the risk) is someone that ACTUALLY had a heart attack or stroke.
NO ONE else.

Good luck.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Go mbeire muid beo ar an am seo arís[/COLOR]
NERVEman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #60 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableguy103276 View Post
For easy insurance I would go get one of these.

https://www.fitbit.com/chargehr
https://www.fitbit.com/purepulse

This way you can get a baseline of your activity and heart rate.

Then you can see what your heart rate really is when you are having a issue.

Also you can see how lazy you really are.
While not a bad idea, detecting a heartrate doesn't necessarily tell if there's a heart problem. There's others out there that do the job too, most newer smart watches now have a heart rate function.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Darlington County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #61 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVEman View Post
Avoid aspirin a day recommendation UNLESS it is 100% proven you had a heart attack.
The FDA came out and told MD's and the public (over a year ago) that the ONLY people that should be doing the aspirin thing (with a benefit that JUST outweighs the risk) is someone that ACTUALLY had a heart attack or stroke.
NO ONE else.

Good luck.
I thought that was directed to women, but I admit, I have to go reread it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Quote:
NO ONE else.

Good luck.
He needs to consult his Dr. about any medication(perscribed or OTC) till he gets cleared

[QUOTE=xyjbeaker;9759686]"mexican food reminds you of my face?"[/QUOTE]
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
I thought that was directed to women, but I admit, I have to go reread it.
FDA Reverses Its Position on Daily Aspirin Use

Old 11-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday13 View Post
He needs to consult his Dr. about any medication(perscribed or OTC) till he gets cleared
he was cleared, ekg was negative and normal

Old 11-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 7287
As far as I'm concerned an EKG doesn't mean shit. Doesn't it only show what's going on that very minute?
Old 11-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #66 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
FDA website doesn't say exactly what that guy says.

Can an Aspirin a Day Help Prevent a Heart Attack?

Old 11-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welby View Post
As far as I'm concerned an EKG doesn't mean shit. Doesn't it only show what's going on that very minute?
My fathers EKG is weird, his cardiologist says it is damage from his first heart attack.

My EKG has an odd spot and dr said it could be from an event in the past and the main reason I got a cardiologist referral.
YJ4RoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
FDA website doesn't say exactly what that guy says.

Can an Aspirin a Day Help Prevent a Heart Attack?
FDA removed their original recommendation. i suspect Big Pharma weighed in.
The original transcript narrowed it down to ONLY if you had a heart attack or stroke.
History, diabetes, on meds, obesity, etc had nothing to do with needing aspirin.
i bookmarked the original FDA 'piece' and when i went back to it, it had been re written to what you see.
Its not the first time that has happened with FDA. i also have seen the same thing with CDC having info removed or altered.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welby View Post
It shows a lot more than that. The PQRST (i think if i remember correctly) gets analyzed all sorts of ways and it will show damages and events from the past.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 47848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post

Rapid, massive pounding that stops after a bit, then you feel funny. It can be a sensitivity to caffene or adreniline. The Cardio Dr instructed both my father and I on how to stop it. If you squeeze your entire body like you are trying to shit a bowling ball, it will stop.
This describes my paroxysmal a-fib. A lot of days I feel good but it seems adreniline messes me up. Hasn't put me in a-fib yet but I can see my radial pulse, no need to feel it. Nothing like taking a pulse by look instead of feel.

The squeezing the body hasn't helped with me. If anything it makes me more dizzy so I bare down as I usually already feel like I'm going to pass out. Carotid artery massage is also supposed to help. For me it's 150 Joules that gets me out of it.

1999 4Runner
4x4mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 47848
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post

That was a few years ago and since then it has happened 2 more times. Both times I was on a vigorous bike ride climbing a big hill at max effort. It was spring time and I had taken a sudafed for allergies and had had a cup of coffee about 30 minutes prior. It was not frightening when it happen in the doc office, considerably more concerning when it happens many miles out and no cell phone or anybody around. Both times I just got off the bike and went and sat in the shade under a tree. Lesson learned. Actually 2 lessons... Don't take drugs and dying while doing something you love and propped up against a big old oak tree ain't such a bad way to go if you get to choose.
I've had mine pop up on bike rides as well. First big one was on the back side of Ebbets during the Death Ride. I was able to finish the ride and drive back home but I felt like crap. My wife was out of town so I decided to sleep it off, which worked (doesn't any more). The next morning my chest hurt and I was still a bit dizzy so I went to the ER and told me I was fine.

This image was from a bike ride episode.

Like I mentioned before, mine is triggered by cold liquids. Can you see where I had a cold drink at the water spot? Decided to ride home and then go to the ER. Lucky for me it didn't go away on it's own and the EKG caught what they needed. Spent about 7 hours in tachycardia before getting zapped.

They gave me a sedative but not enough. I swear i heard the shock and I woke up screaming but felt better immediately. HR was back down around 60, extremities were warm again and wasn't so jumpy.

I didn't have a sensitivity to caffeine in the past but I feel I might have one now. I try to limit it as well as cold liquid (which is really hard for me).

1999 4Runner

Last edited by 4x4mike; 11-13-2015 at 12:09 PM.
4x4mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
No allergic reaction. Vision not affected. I squirrel hunted yesterday which involved walking several miles across a ridge, down in a hollow, and back. Jogging at times to get to the dog. I have ran across the yard several times and up the stairs, no changes.
People that I know have had heart attacks can't do that.
No shortness of breath, nothing irregular other than I don't feel the same as I did Saturday before that occurred.
Squirrel is high in cholesterol.
If you told anyone what happened they should have done a cardiac enzyme test on your blood. You'll have elevated levels for up to 30 days after a heart attack. It's really not something to play around with, ER time. BTDT with my father, twice.

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 24091
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFRIDER View Post
Supraventricular Tachycardia?

I've had episodes all of my life and very similar to your description.

When diagnosed, I had an episode over 280bpm.

Mostly outgrown as an adult, but still have an episode once a year or so.
Yup - ditto that. Finally caught it & figured it out wearing one of those heart monitors recording thingies.

My first big one took me to the ER too, I thought my heart was going to explode.

The trick I was told to try stop them was to bear down like you're taking a dump. Apparently that constricts the vagus nerve which helps slow the heart down.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 57161
Just drink a rockstar. it will help.
" Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes....But when a long train of abuses and usurpations.... it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
cannoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 13420
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ4RoX View Post
If you go to the ER in an ambulance there is no waiting. I found this out the hard way a few weeks ago. Sitting at my desk at work, hr goes through the roof, light headed, nausea, blurred vision etc. shook it off went for walk. Still felt terrible that evening so I went to the med express. They took my Blood pressure and immediately called the ambulance. EKG in ambulance, EKG and blood work at ER. They check your cardiac enzymes to see if you had a MI. My BP was just through the roof, poor girls at med express thought I was going to stroke out right then and there. I had no family dr so I had to go to the care clinic the next day at the hospital, they gave me a script for bp meds and referred me to a cardiologist. Now I have to have a stress test, echo, all that junk. I've never used my insurance and I'm scared to see what the bills are going to be

I eat right, cholesterol is good, fit, exercise 5-6 days a week, minimal booze and at the ripe old age of 37 I'm now on 3meds for hypertension. Literally go from never taking meds for anything to now have to take something forever. I'm fighting bad genetics.

Next time it happens go to the fire department that will probably be your best bet for a quick EKG since you are in BfE. Your bp could have dropped really low as well, low bp put my father in law in the hospital recently. Bp fluctuations are hard on your kidneys.
So someone was chewing loudly and your presence and your about stroked out

I am still waiting for a referral to a cardiologist.

Always take a poison word as a promise.
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in