What vehicle to buy, 3/4 ton gas edition - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 30216
I have a '12 Chevy 2500 with 6.0 crew cab long bed. I get 13 mpg unloaded. It drops into the single digit mpg if you put anything behind it. The truck has been flawless to 110K. Haven't done a thing to it but change the oil and put new tires on it.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 127719
My work runs a fleet of extended cab 6.2L Ford 250's ranging from 11-15 and as far as I know they seem to never have issues other than general maintenance. I've driven/ridden in them and they're pretty comfortable while still maintaining utility capabilities. I'd love to have one myself. My buddy at the same company bought one for personal use and he loves it. He says he runs the snot out of it and it gets about 12mpg. If I didn't live an hour from my job I'd like to get one for myself.

Tow Pig: 86 F350 Turbo 6.9/ZF5 4x4 converted dually

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
old Chevy vs new Chevy ? nobody gives a fuck
please kick yourself in the cunt,
oneofakind97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 3236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarogenius View Post
I have an F-250 Lariat, one step below the Platinum, with a 6.2. Reliability is great, truck itself is awesome as far as quality and equipment. Damn thing has buttons I don't even know what they do. Good leg room in the back.

Gets 12 MPG average, and has a hard time getting out of it's own way, unless you wind it up to 5,000.

6.2 is a beast in the Raptors, but an F-250 4x4 is 2,500 pounds heavier than a Raptor.

Needs a whipple on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
You sure about that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
Raptors are near #6200, and even my 7.3 4x4 with a camper shell was under #8k.

Edit; And any 6.2l Raptor I've riden in does pretty well in the power department.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 94747
At work we have a fleet of F250 and F350 6.2 gassers, 35 of em in my area. We tried hemi dodges and 6.0 chevy's. Miles per dollar the superduty's couldn't be beaten by dodge and Chevy even with exact same monkeys driving them. I don't exactly love the 6.2 because the way they are programmed with safety delays from the DBW to the shift points etc. But hook 10k of pressure washer or pipe trailer and they run down the road just about the same as they did empty. For our fleet of off-road driven trucks the SD has proven to be dead reliable and pretty much trouble free for 100k+ miles.

Edit to add that my last 6.2 SD averaged 12 mpg for 96k miles and my trucks run 8 to 12 hours a day with a lot of idle time. I work in the Rocky Mountains where my commute is the only flat road I drive on. Towing it would get 9 mpg. I got a promotion and got to step it down to a coyote powered F150.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants

Last edited by jr4x; 12-01-2015 at 02:39 PM.
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #30 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 63664
Nice to hear they stand up to fleet use.

Off to see if programming can be changed to improve the sluggishness.

Quote:
You won't find a larger gathering of generous and caring, mouth breathing, ego smashing, mother railing fucktards anywhere on the 'net.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rfr002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #31 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
I'm following this thread, im in for needing a 3/4 ton but a diesel would be pointless.

I will say my company has a f250 bi-fuel(cng,gas) 6.2l, 2015, 4wd. Fuckin neat as hell. Alot of buttons. Rides really nice and does very well towing and it's got some go to it.

But it's got 10 k on it now, and I'm curious of reliability. I'll post up if anything breaks on ours

Vacancy (daytona coupe, 66 charger, cougar eliminator)
1967 F250: Restomod
1998 f150 reg cab, swb, 4x4 5.4
2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more

Last edited by A_G; 12-02-2015 at 11:53 AM.
A_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
You saw mine at the CaryW M&G. I've put 30k miles on it in a year, oil field miles and abuse. Never given me an issue. My only gripe is the power, and the silly shift points. Much of my complaint can be covered by the fact that I got out of a turbo diesel torque monster to get into this truck, so my expectations may be a bit off.
Camarogenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2015, 01:06 PM   #33 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
We have a fleet of 6.0 chevy's and are changing them out for 6.2 fords. Municipal Utility service and Ford was the lowest bidder. I personally think the Chevy is more comfortable and drives better. Maint. hasn't been bad on them they just wear out after 6-7 years of use. They pull like a 6.0 Chevy, it'll do it but you might have to work it a bit. I don't like the engine/ tranny in the new fords, it shifts like shit and over revvs all over the place. I think they drive like crap and wander all over the road, have to constantly tend to the wheel. On rough roads they seem to skate all over the place. Drives fine with a load but still has to rev like the Chevy. Both average 12MPG loaded for a day at work. Ford gets 12 dead empty too.

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #34 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
Quote:
You saw mine at the CaryW M&G. I've put 30k miles on it in a year, oil field miles and abuse. Never given me an issue. My only gripe is the power, and the silly shift points. Much of my complaint can be covered by the fact that I got out of a turbo diesel torque monster to get into this truck, so my expectations may be a bit off.
To be honest with you, There was so many vehicles there i only know who drove what on a few of them. I know brimmstone had the v10. I dont even know what you drove up there in.

2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more
Old 12-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_G View Post
To be honest with you, There was so many vehicles there i only know who drove what on a few of them. I know brimmstone had the v10. I dont even know what you drove up there in.
Dis one.
Attached Images

Camarogenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #36 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
Quote:
Dis one.
Yea i remember it now, saw it in the dark. Im in the same boat as OP, next year sometime. Give my truck to my dad to use on the farm and get in something a little lower miles to beat on for the rest of its life hopefully.

Id like a diesel, i had a diesel. But to be honest with you if you dont beat on them, tow with them, give the engine a good work out, its actually not good on them or atleast on the older ones. They didnt like to be babied all the time.

Id use the fact that it was diesel maybe once every year or two. Just need a bigger bed and something that doesnt fight with towing a trailer. Although on the otherside of things, the shorter the towing vehicle the better maneuvering there is. But if the trailer decides to drive you around its a harder battle to fight.

Keep us updated on it will ya?

2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more
Old 12-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 94747
This was my last work Superduty, 2012 NGV (natural gas vehicle) F250 XL 4x4 with the rear locker. Put 96K on it before they gave it to some one else and its still running around for a work truck. The CNG was nice because both tanks full gave it a 600 mile capacity between fuel ups vs the 350 mile capacity if gasoline only. Takes up a lot of bed space for a big tank. The "tool box" is actually a cover over the tank and isn't much of a tool box anymore. I've put nearly 300k miles on 6.2 gasser ford work trucks and not a single one of them has ever went back to ford for work done. Never put a set of brake pads on one no check engine lights. Just tires batteries and oil changes normal maintenance etc. We use lots of extra electronics that kill batteries prematurely. The 2011 up gassers still have the hole inside the fuel door for the DEF filler. They put the CNG gas fill quick connect in the DEF spot next to the fuel filler neck.

I bought one of my trucks when work "miled it out" with 101,000 miles on it for $9500. bucks. Used it for a year then had to sell it when I got divorced and ended up getting $12K for it to make a quick sale. I towed a RZR to KOH and back to Colorado with it. They are no diesel! but are reliable for gasser pickups. FlexyTJ says they can be programmed if you buy an SCT tuner.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
Old 12-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #38 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
This was my last work Superduty, 2012 NGV (natural gas vehicle) F250 XL 4x4 with the rear locker. Put 96K on it before they gave it to some one else and its still running around for a work truck. The CNG was nice because both tanks full gave it a 600 mile capacity between fuel ups vs the 350 mile capacity if gasoline only. Takes up a lot of bed space for a big tank. The "tool box" is actually a cover over the tank and isn't much of a tool box anymore. I've put nearly 300k miles on 6.2 gasser ford work trucks and not a single one of them has ever went back to ford for work done. Never put a set of brake pads on one no check engine lights. Just tires batteries and oil changes normal maintenance etc. We use lots of extra electronics that kill batteries prematurely. The 2011 up gassers still have the hole inside the fuel door for the DEF filler. They put the CNG gas fill quick connect in the DEF spot next to the fuel filler neck.

snip

I bought one of my trucks when work "miled it out" with 101,000 miles on it for $9500. bucks. Used it for a year then had to sell it when I got divorced and ended up getting $12K for it to make a quick sale. I towed a RZR to KOH and back to Colorado with it. They are no diesel! but are reliable for gasser pickups. FlexyTJ says they can be programmed if you buy an SCT tuner.
Thats basically what our company truck is, except its extended cab and no tool box cover, we have a ladder rack on it.

Theres a couple of the CNG truck for sale here, problem is they never list if they are bi-fuel or dedicated

2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more
Old 12-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #39 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 180649
So we can get some answers on this hey @FlexyTJ, what's the 411 on tuning these 6.2 super duties on pulling better?

You heard through the SCT grapevine who has the best tunes?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
clastic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #40 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 104026
The work truck I drive is a 2011 F 250 4x4 crew cab 6.2 in it. It has a 100 gal bulk tank and a Rat Pack full of tools. Truck has 236,000 miles on it with no problems. Just two sets of brakes and 1 alternator. It always has a trailer behind it.
stimie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 30017
I would look at a 2014 or newer Ram 2500 with the 6.4L hemi. A few guys I talk to get 17mpg on the hwy with the cylinder deactivation and average 15.5-16mpg mixed driving. Tons of power and rides nice with the coil springs in the rear. If my memory serves me right 2014 is the first year for the 6.4L hemi and coil spring rear suspension in the 2500 pickups. As far as the rest of the truck holding up? I don't know anything there.
BillyBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 94747
These are some pm's I exchanged with FlexyTJ about tuning my truck. I didn't do it in the end because it was an NGV and they already have special programming that tuning would mess with. If I end up in a straight gasoline 6.2 truck again I'd do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x
I just noticed your sig says you tune gasser fords and just thought I'd ask. Anything good you can do to a 12 F250 with the 6.2 in it? The truck is dependable (I'm on my 3rd one) but I hate everything about they way it responds. I don't like the drive by wire delay or the way it shifts. Is that something you can mess with?

Thanks, John.

Hi John,

Let me look into what value files I have in regards to your vehicle. Likely, there is quite a bit that can be done, In fact 70% of the gains on stock hardware new Mustangs come from reducing/eliminating drive by wire issues. (torque reduction, torque management routines, and various built in delays/timers as you mention.).

Do you have an SCT flash device?

Essentially I would take your stock ecu strategy (that either you provide to me in .mtf format OR that I'm able to pull from a matching value file (assuming I have it for that processor code), modify those particular values, then send you the updated/custom tune in .mtf (mako tune file) format. You would then upload that file to your flash device with the SCT device updater, then once it is on your handheld, flash the new tune to your truck...

Let me know if you have questions!
-Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x
I don't have an SCT tuner but would entertain getting one. Looks like I will be driving 6.2 gasser f250's for years to come so I am interested in finding a way to make it behave like my F150. I would really like to dial back all the delay's so that they are predictably responsive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ
So I don't currently have any value files for your truck at this point. If you were to get an SCT handheld, you would be able to download your vehicles stock tune to the handheld, then be able to get the file to a pc. Just getting the handheld in and of itself won't allow you to make most of those changes unfortunately. You'll need a custom tune to implement most of the changes you are seeking.

The other option and in fact what I use (I have a open licensed version), if you want more control, would be to purchase the tuner + Pro Racer Package Advantage III software. This will essentially allow you to write your own tunes, from the ground up (unlimited, as many as you want, as many variations as you want, etc...) Then you will not have to go back to a "tuner" for every change. This route isn't for everyone, but since this is Pirate, I like to let people know the "range" you can do this on.

The X4 handheld will hold 10 custom tunes. It does come "pre-loaded" with 3 "canned" tunes for your application but those become "disabled" by default when you load a custom tune.

Feel free to ask questions!
-Matt
Old 12-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 88705
I'd have a Nissan Titan king cab 4wd. 1500-2200lb payload depending on the configuration. Good chassis and engine, Excellent bed rail system and spray in liner. I don't expect anyone to agree as they get 15mpg at very best and the rear axle is too small. I like the size, makes a good occasional hauler and still drives nice unloaded. Not much has changed for 12 years so parts are no problem.

Main reason? Price one out.
Syncros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #44 (permalink)
CMF

Member # 36775
I drive a 2002 F-250 quad cab with a 7.3L oil burner and get 17mpg whether I'm hauling something or not. With 260,000 miles on the truck now, I've had to do very little in terms of maintenance and most of that was not engine related. I just don't see the benefit of going to a gasser, especially now that fuel prices are reasonable.
CMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #45 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 63664
Doing a little research, it looks like 5 star offers tunes. Some people are really happy, some complain about shift points. Seems like some of the unhappy one have contacted them and gotten new tunes that are better.

I wish there was more than two options.

Quote:
You won't find a larger gathering of generous and caring, mouth breathing, ego smashing, mother railing fucktards anywhere on the 'net.
rfr002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr002 View Post
Doing a little research, it looks like 5 star offers tunes. Some people are really happy, some complain about shift points. Seems like some of the unhappy one have contacted them and gotten new tunes that are better.

I wish there was more than two options.

You're not going to get a whole lot out of a tune on a modern gas engine, nothing like a diesel tune. I think the best one for my 2013 was 10-15 HP with 89 octane . I just put mine in tow haul mode, it makes a decent amount of difference in gears and shift points.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #47 (permalink)
D45

Member # 102974
F-150 Ecoboost with the Max Tow and Max Haul package

13,200 pounds towing and 2,600 pound payload
Old 12-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 3236
Quote:
Originally Posted by D45 View Post
F-150 Ecoboost with the Max Tow and Max Haul package

13,200 pounds towing and 2,600 pound payload
Not sure where you pulled the 13,200# figure from but it was not Ford; 11,300#'s is the max in the 11-14 trucks:
RV & Trailer Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com
Old 12-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
What about a big block GM with the Allison?
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #50 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMF View Post
I drive a 2002 F-250 quad cab with a 7.3L oil burner and get 17mpg whether I'm hauling something or not.
You should have bought a Dodge, you're line of BS would have played better to that audience.

Or, maybe you only drive 50mph, then I think you'd get 17 with a 7.3.
Roc Doc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in