IT/Email question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2015, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21399
IT/Email question

Email server question.

Currently host a business website and email on bluehost. The website will be transitioned to a new server/host due to it being updated and managed by a new company. The new host does not provide email options. They have suggested that we use gmail for our email. My question is what is the best way to migrate to gmail? We own the url for the business, currently use Microsoft Outlook for email client and would like to remain using it. We need to keep the old emails for legal reasons (it is for a law firm) and I would like to archive them so we can still use them after the transition if we cannot import the emails into gmail. Do I have other options? I don't understand dns and hosting enough to understand how I could have an email server on a different server/host than the website, and what my options are for doing this without interrupting the access to email(other than for dns propagation and transition to new email options).
mark99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7647
@98blacktj might be able to help you through the transition.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KF5EQF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Google apps for business is what you're after...not technically gmail. You just use the gmail interface to access it.

There's a migration application that they have that will pull all of the mail out of outlook and move it to the google server. It'll also integrate google w/ outlook so you can still use outlook as your client.

That all depends how you store and/or archive your old mail. If it's all stored locally on in outlook, it'll work great. You also have the option to just archive what's currently in outlook to a .pst file and you can access that any time you need it...or just bring it back in to outlook and it'll show up as a folder.

If it's archived on your exchange server, I don't know, but I would suspect there's probably a way to download the entire archive before you ditch the host.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 848
A law firm using gmail

Pay for email hosting somewhere. With proper planning on the transition, you won't even have an outage.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Host your email from another vendor, using gmail for a business is lame IMO. +1 on 98balcktj, or check out godaddy
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 21399
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
Google apps for business is what you're after...not technically gmail. You just use the gmail interface to access it.

There's a migration application that they have that will pull all of the mail out of outlook and move it to the google server. It'll also integrate google w/ outlook so you can still use outlook as your client.

That all depends how you store and/or archive your old mail. If it's all stored locally on in outlook, it'll work great. You also have the option to just archive what's currently in outlook to a .pst file and you can access that any time you need it...or just bring it back in to outlook and it'll show up as a folder.

If it's archived on your exchange server, I don't know, but I would suspect there's probably a way to download the entire archive before you ditch the host.
It is not currently on an exchange server. Just a normal POP email server. We just use Outlook locally as the email client. Email is currently on the server and downloaded locally to Outlook. We keep email on the server so that we can still access the messages from our phones and have them on our desktops. I have only archived the mailboxes of former employees (and only project/case related emails) so far, just as a way to keep and store the historical messages.

I will check out Google Apps. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2015, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 21399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
A law firm using gmail

Pay for email hosting somewhere. With proper planning on the transition, you won't even have an outage.

Can I just leave the email on the bluehost server while the website is moved to a new host? That would be optimal. Bluehost is $100 a year, so cost is not an issue, I just don't know enough to understand if I can have email and the website hosted in two very separate areas.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark99tj View Post
Can I just leave the email on the bluehost server while the website is moved to a new host? That would be optimal. Bluehost is $100 a year, so cost is not an issue, I just don't know enough to understand if I can have email and the website hosted in two very separate areas.
Yes you can. The MX record identifies where your mail server is, it is separate from the A record or CN record that identifies your web site.
Ben W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Yes, they can be hosted separately. They're already hosted separately actually.

KF5EQF

apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 21399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben W View Post
Yes you can. The MX record identifies where your mail server is, it is separate from the A record or CN record that identifies your web site.
That is awesome. I can just keep email as is. Thank you!!
Old 12-31-2015, 09:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
A law firm using gmail

you don't understand how google apps for business works do you?

They would still use their domain name.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
www.SBWinVPS.com

Member # 28540
Quote:
Email server question.

Currently host a business website and email on bluehost. The website will be transitioned to a new server/host due to it being updated and managed by a new company. The new host does not provide email options. They have suggested that we use gmail for our email. My question is what is the best way to migrate to gmail? We own the url for the business, currently use Microsoft Outlook for email client and would like to remain using it. We need to keep the old emails for legal reasons (it is for a law firm) and I would like to archive them so we can still use them after the transition if we cannot import the emails into gmail. Do I have other options? I don't understand dns and hosting enough to understand how I could have an email server on a different server/host than the website, and what my options are for doing this without interrupting the access to email(other than for dns propagation and transition to new email options).
Google apps for business which will let you keep your url. You can manually do the migration or use https://www.bittitan.com/products/migrationwiz/ which is what we do. Google is $5 per user per month for email. I prefer Rackspace hosted exchange for a better solution but it's $10 per user per month.

If you don't need exchange like features and imap will work for fetching(sometimes slight delay) I can host email way cheaper.
We are building a new car

We can support your Land Use organization!
98blacktj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 09:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 31422
Send a message via AIM to tmacie
Quote:
Yes, you can. Web hosting and e-mail are two very separate things.

here is a simple rundown:

Domain Hosting: This is the place that does DNS for your domain name.
Web Hosting: This is where your website lives and runs from
Email hosting: This is where your e-mail lives and is processed.

Your Domain host is where you tell your domain that the webpage is on server X and e-mail is on server Y. For e-mail you would point your MX records to the E-mail host (the e-mail host gives you this info). A records or C-Name is what you use to point to your website (webhost will give you this info). Typically Domain host and Webhost are the same, but do not have to be.

Travis
tmacie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 1983
Send a message via Yahoo to HighToy
Most likely you can just leave the email but I would contact BlueHost to see if that is a feasible option.

How many users? You can move everything to O365 Exchange Online. It includes Office licensing as well. It will take the hassle out of future moves/acquisitions/mergers. It's also easy to manage.

https://products.office.com/en-us/ex...e-online-plans
Old 12-31-2015, 09:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 110491
Quote:
A law firm using gmail

There are a ton of huge companies that use googles business email you just don't realize it because they use their domain name not @GMail.com.
cmarjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 09:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 21399
4 'real' users but we have a few other addresses set up basically for marketing reasons ([email protected], [email protected], etc) so we can track where the leads are coming from. Those emails are auto forwarded to the four main user accounts. It allows us to better track marketing efforts to tell what works.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 21399
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98blacktj View Post
Google apps for business which will let you keep your url. You can manually do the migration or use https://www.bittitan.com/products/migrationwiz/ which is what we do. Google is $5 per user per month for email. I prefer Rackspace hosted exchange for a better solution but it's $10 per user per month.

If you don't need exchange like features and imap will work for fetching(sometimes slight delay) I can host email way cheaper.
Thanks. I will keep this in mind if I can't keep email where it is.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 1983
Generic addresses count as users.

So being a law firm you're probably held to some type of data retention policy so you'd want the $8/mo per user option so you have the DLP option.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 21399
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighToy View Post
Generic addresses count as users.

So being a law firm you're probably held to some type of data retention policy so you'd want the $8/mo per user option so you have the DLP option.
Yep. We try not to print every single message and keeping them 'in email' is the best option for us for retention at this point.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 1983
Quote:
Yep. We try not to print every single message and keeping them 'in email' is the best option for us for retention at this point.
Well you get an unlimited storage email archive with the $8/mo per user plan.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:52 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 21399
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighToy View Post
Well you get an unlimited storage email archive with the $8/mo per user plan.
I currently get unlimited email addresses and storage with Bluehost for just over $100/year. I just chatted with them and they will allow me to change the dns to point to a different host for the website while keeping email with them, so we can keep the status quo for email pretty cheaply (in my opinion).

Thank you everyone for the comments and help!! If I do need to change things down the road, I will keep all of these options in mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in