buying a laundromat ???? and valuing a buisness - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
buying a laundromat ???? and valuing a buisness

So I'm looking at buying a laundromat from a very close friends father. I trust all his numbers, trust that he is being honest, and trust that they wouldn't steer me towards a horrible deal.

Everything is in place and it basically runs itself from an operations standpoint and has been for 10+ years.

Profits $18,000 a year after all expenses including $14,000 in employee wages. 1 contract employee that has been there a long time.... opens the doors, sweeps and light clean 3 times a day, locks the doors. And one hourly employee sat and sunday.

Everything is in decent shape and doesn't require any immediate attention.

What's the business worth?
My understanding is that laundromats use a higher multiplier then standard businesses that require more hands on.

My plan would be to stick the fiancÚ in there as her new job and fire the part time employee.
2big bronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3076
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
So I'm looking at buying a laundromat from a very close friends father. I trust all his numbers, trust that he is being honest, and trust that they wouldn't steer me towards a horrible deal.

Everything is in place and it basically runs itself from an operations standpoint and has been for 10+ years.

Profits $18,000 a year after all expenses including $14,000 in employee wages. 1 contract employee that has been there a long time.... opens the doors, sweeps and light clean 3 times a day, locks the doors. And one hourly employee sat and sunday.

Everything is in decent shape and doesn't require any immediate attention.

What's the business worth?
My understanding is that laundromats use a higher multiplier then standard businesses that require more hands on.

My plan would be to stick the fiancÚ in there as her new job and fire the part time employee.
Yikes - Me personally, wouldn't stick any family members or possible significant others in a Laundromat. Scary times these days not like years ago.
Not sure on the valuation part.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Thinking out loud

Also does it make sense to make a cash offer if I have it? He is willing to carry a loan.... for a reasonable in treat rate but not one so low that my money would make more elsewhere.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radbassist View Post
Yikes - Me personally, wouldn't stick any family members or possible significant others in a Laundromat. Scary times these days not like years ago.
Not sure on the valuation part.
Not a sketchy neighborhood at all and next door to other quality buisnesses. She also wouldn't be working sat at 10pm
Old 01-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 180649
Do you have money to launder? If no, then I would not buy. Save the cash business for funds you need to clean

$18000 a year profit just isn't enough of a % myself.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by clastic; 01-04-2016 at 02:50 PM.
clastic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3076
Quote:
Not a sketchy neighborhood at all and next door to other quality buisnesses. She also wouldn't be working sat at 10pm
Put up some cameras if there aren't any already. Good to hear on the hours and the girl.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 104966
At 18k/yr it would be a decent bit of "mailbox money" as I like to call it, just make sure you're not buying your gf a job.
bbaxter51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 161963
What condition is all the equipment and who has been fixing all of it. I know some of the parts for the big washers can get very expensive. Your profit could get used up real quick if you have to start fixing the stuff.
Tizken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9722
Did you ask why he's selling it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TexasBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 6417
Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselmh
Are you buying the entire location, or just the business? What I mean by that is does he own the building and real estate, or leasing it?

Personally I wouldn't offer more than I thought I could make back in a few years. Plus, if you're just leasing the property, you have to factor in that your rent will go up, utilities will go up, you could get it sold out from under you, etc.

Oh, and all of those "I trust" in your first post make me think you're gonna get fucked.
Dieselmh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 3007
What do you need to put up to buy this for the $18K profits? I assume maintenance is also factored in somewhere?
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Look at utility costs. My mom owned one for 15 years, gas dryers + 320 gal water heater was fairly economical at the time. Have the Maytag man on speed dial and be ready to deal with a lot of stupid. She sold it 12 years ago and it's one of the nicest things she's done for me.
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 12454
Send a message via AIM to TatonkaII
How good is your meth?
Old 01-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
Laundromat in a non sketchy neighborhood? Who the heck uses it?
Old 01-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Not sure I would fire the part time employee right away either. Good help is hard to find, if they have been there awhile and doing good work, that's worth something.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 40793
Send a message via AIM to Nightshade Send a message via MSN to Nightshade Send a message via Yahoo to Nightshade
I get that its your buddies family but you need to enter this as a business deal not a friendship deal and go over all of the numbers with someone who knows what they are looking at. Friend or not once the deal is done you either made a good purchase or are stuck with someone elses headaches.

Be smart about this.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 110491
$18k a year doesn't sound like too much profit to me. Is there anything you can do to increase that like vending machines or selling single use detergent or something like that?

There's a laundromat up here that has a bar in it. Not sure if that is worth the trouble in CA though.
cmarjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85264
Send a message via AIM to LeadfootCJ7
That doesn't seem like a ton of profit for the risk.

However, general rule of thumb is Present Value of 10 yrs cash flow (profit). However, estimating the cash flow is the hard part. With such low profit, there are so many opportunities for that to vanish. Repairs, increasing rent, fire, etc. Seems to risky for such low profit unless it is real cheap.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
He is selling all his laundromat 10+ due to health reasons. 18k per year is after average repair and upkeep costs.

I don't have money to launder but I could see it as an easy place to make some side cash.

His daughter, my best friend, is the one who has been managing it and does all the repairs/ labor intensive upkeep..

Leased property..... I would obviously negotiate the best lease possible with options before closing on the buisness.

It's next to ucsc.the local college full of dirty stoned hippies with to much money so they would be the ones using it.

Video cameras would be going in
Old 01-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 13786
10 yrs is about the life span of industrial washers and dryers. He probably needs to replace equipment and decided to dump the business instead. The IRS audits laundromats by the utility bills. 18k does not sound like the profit margin is correct. A clean, well run laundromat should net closer to 40 or 50. Also, if you want to reduce your overhead, better read up on washer/dryer repair. A service tech coming out on a weekend can clean you out if you don't know what's going on. His lease may be close to renewal also. Another thing is to check out the sewer fees and if there is an increase on the horizon. I looked into the very same business about 15 years ago. After getting an education I backed away very quickly. Quite often when these business come up for sale they need a bunch of money dumped into them.
KWTMECH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
What is a laundromat doing in a nice area? They're for poor people.

Maybe I just don't understand because EVERY laundromat I've ever been in has been only slightly less sketchy than that time in Dubai that I got in an unlicensed taxi by mistake.

DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWTMECH View Post
10 yrs is about the life span of industrial washers and dryers. He probably needs to replace equipment and decided to dump the business instead. The IRS audits laundromats by the utility bills. 18k does not sound like the profit margin is correct. A clean, well run laundromat should net closer to 40 or 50. Also, if you want to reduce your overhead, better read up on washer/dryer repair. A service tech coming out on a weekend can clean you out if you don't know what's going on. His lease may be close to renewal also. Another thing is to check out the sewer fees and if there is an increase on the horizon. I looked into the very same business about 15 years ago. After getting an education I backed away very quickly. Quite often when these business come up for sale they need a bunch of money dumped into them.
He's old and having regular unexplained seizures. It really has nothing to do with him not wanting the business and everything to do with him being unable to handle it.

There is three years left on the current lease that in my opinion is over the market rate in cost.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
It's also very small. But profit per Sq ft it's his number 1 laundromat if that's worth anything.

He is pretty smart and isn't hurting for the money. I think he's hoping I will want to owner finance it so we can make more on the back end. I'm hoping to lowball with a cash offer which I'm thinking won't work in this case.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Something doesn't add up.

$18k annual Net profit seemed a little low in your original post, but after you said it's next to UCSC, it seems really low.

If it's owner financed at, say $150k over 10 years at a high interest rate of 8% (private loan) that's $1800/month, which is more than the net profit.

Even if you pay cash for the business, you need to look at what replacement cost is for the equipment, how old it is and maintenance records.

For the seller, replacing equipment and taking a loss for a few months isn't as big of a deal since he has 10+ laundromats to make a profit off of. For you, it's a big deal.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Laundromat in a non sketchy neighborhood? Who the heck uses it?
Tons, in Los Angeles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in