How To Deal With LiPo Batteries Safely; Knowledgeable Ones Please Entre'! - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #26 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
Unbalanced batteries.

Are those cheapy batteries or what?

Please expand on this topic
batteries become unbalanced when the individual cells of the pack discharge at a different rate. when this happens the battery can overheat, and "runaway" on you essentially getting hotter and hotter until it either explodes or "vents" and shoots flame out of the vent. That is why it is always best to "Balance charge" your batteries. The balance charger will monitor the individual cells and make sure they all charge equally and are "balanced"

typically, cheaper batteries tend to become unbalanced more easily than Name Brand or High End Battery packs, although I have had high end packs do it as well. Packs have a higher tendency to become unbalanced when run too low also. I set my cutoff point to 3.2v per cell in the speed control in my cars. You can also get a "LiPo alarm" that plugs into the balance leads of the battery pack. The alarm will sound when the battery drops to a preset level.

LiPo battery packs are rated at 3.7 volts per cell, and either wired in series "S" or in parallel "P"

So a 2S pack is rated at 7.4 volts, 3s at 11.1, and so on. a 2P pack would still be rated at 3.7 volts, and you would add together the amperage of the cells instead of the voltage.

Last edited by makya; 01-04-2016 at 10:18 PM.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 10:12 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 207596
I always balance charge at 1c, use a low voltage cutoff, and store the batteries at 3.85v/cell.

Last edited by Jordo; 01-04-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Jordo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Are these batteries in use on electric bicycles as well?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
Are these batteries in use on electric bicycles as well?
Yes. there are some that still use Lithium-Ion, and Lead Acid batteries, but more and more have changed over to LiPo, because they are lighter than Lead Acid and have a higher output rating, meaning "Burst" or "C" rating.

Note: there are two different "C" ratings: one is the charge rate, which is anywhere from 1-5 C, and there is the Burst rating, which relates to the short term high output of the battery. I have one 2S 4200mah battery that is rated at 75C, which means it can put out 315 Amps at 7.4 volts for a short period of time.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 98895
Send a message via AIM to dezrik Send a message via MSN to dezrik Send a message via Yahoo to dezrik
If you intend on not using the lipo for several weeks/months/years, Charge the battery using the "Storage" setting on your charger (If it has such setting), then put them into a lipo bag, metal box on something metal or less prone to damage incase they catch fire. The battery still needs to be maintained even while storing them, they discharge overtime and will puff up or worse catch fire.
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 10:39 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 80592
Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
Yes. there are some that still use Lithium-Ion, and Lead Acid batteries, but more and more have changed over to LiPo, because they are lighter than Lead Acid and have a higher output rating, meaning "Burst" or "C" rating.

Note: there are two different "C" ratings: one is the charge rate, which is anywhere from 1-5 C, and there is the Burst rating, which relates to the short term high output of the battery. I have one 2S 4200mah battery that is rated at 75C, which means it can put out 315 Amps at 7.4 volts for a short period of time.
Aren't lithium ion batteries the same as li-po aside from form factor?

I know you can get ICR and IMR chemistry li-on cells and the IMR ones are supposedly safer, is there something like that for the li-po packs?
ColdFusion21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
If you intend on not using the lipo for several weeks/months/years, Charge the battery using the "Storage" setting on your charger (If it has such setting), then put them into a lipo bag, metal box on something metal or less prone to damage incase they catch fire. The battery still needs to be maintained even while storing them, they discharge overtime and will puff up or worse catch fire.
So if not using them like you described, they must be kept charged ???

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #33 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
How reliable are current name brand cordless tool batteries that stay on maintence chargers ?

I have several always on the charger in the garage. Would putting them in a metal container be a prudent super safety guy move ?

Fwiw.... I had a chicom flashlight burst into flames while sitting on my toolbox a few weeks ago. It was I inavertentatly left on and and placed face down.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFusion21 View Post
Aren't lithium ion batteries the same as li-po aside from form factor?

I know you can get ICR and IMR chemistry li-on cells and the IMR ones are supposedly safer, is there something like that for the li-po packs?

Sort of: Lithium Ion has been around for 100 years, LiPo was invented in the 70's as an offshoot of Li-Ion. LiPo has a higher output, and more flexible form factor, sue to the construction of the density of the battery.

Losi makes a "Smart" LiPo, but the cost is about 4x what a regular LiPo costs.

Supposedly, LiFePo4, or Lithium Ferrite Phosphate, which is used in full size electric cars, is supposed to be the next thing coming. I don't know much about them though.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:02 PM   #35 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
How reliable are current name brand cordless tool batteries that stay on maintence chargers ?

I have several always on the charger in the garage. Would putting them in a metal container be a prudent super safety guy move ?

Fwiw.... I had a chicom flashlight burst into flames while sitting on my toolbox a few weeks ago. It was I inavertentatly left on and and placed face down.
Name brand stuff like Makita, DeWalt, etc... are designed to stop charging if there are inconsistencies in the batteries, through the chargers. They also have thermal limiters that will fail before you overheat the cells.

that doesn't mean they are perfect, but they are a lot safer than standard LiPo packs we use in r/c or in the custom flashlight hobby.

Keith may disagree with that though, since his house in Lincoln burned down from a faulty DeWalt battery and/or charger.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
That is why it is always best to "Balance charge" your batteries. The balance charger will monitor the individual cells and make sure they all charge equally and are "balanced"
I balance packs every 5 cycles.
but I check individual cell voltages using the taps and charger before charging.

FWIW bulk charging a lipo and not balancing it will only charge it to about 90% capacity.

my shit is all oversized, so it's not a big deal, but if you want maximum performance, balance charge.

I also rarely discharge below 40% capacity, so my packs generally stay pretty well balanced.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #37 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Quote:
Name brand stuff like Makita, DeWalt, etc... are designed to stop charging if there are inconsistencies in the batteries, through the chargers. They also have thermal limiters that will fail before you overheat the cells.

that doesn't mean they are perfect, but they are a lot safer than standard LiPo packs we use in r/c or in the custom flashlight hobby.

Keith may disagree with that though, since his house in Lincoln burned down from a faulty DeWalt battery and/or charger.
Oh shit, is that what caused his fire ? Where does he live now ? I live in Lincoln now and think i would have seen him around if he was here

Hmm. Not digging my new Milwaukee lithium tools quite as much now. Looks like I will add fire resistant metal cabniet to my shopping list.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #38 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
... that will 'brick" your batteries. At $80 a pop, you gotta be careful when you plug 'em into the charger. A hot Makita battery will "brick" as soon as you plug it in. A battery run to zero will do it as well.

Wish there was a way to rebuild 'em.
That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #39 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Not digging my new Milwaukee lithium tools quite as much now. Looks like I will add fire resistant metal cabniet to my shopping list.
Meh, I wouldn't worry about it.
That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #40 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:
Oh shit, is that what caused his fire ? Where does he live now ? I live in Lincoln now and think i would have seen him around if he was here

Hmm. Not digging my new Milwaukee lithium tools quite as much now. Looks like I will add fire resistant metal cabniet to my shopping list.
I'm not sure where he is now. It was before I moved out to Tx. in 2009 so he could be anywhere by now.

FWIW, in the 20-odd years that I've worked with cordless power tools on an almost daily basis, I've only had one battery fire, and that was a nimh pack.

I've had several pack failure with my r/c cars over the years, both nimh and LiPo. There are a lot more safety measures built into power tool batteries. I would assume that is because it is a much larger industry, so there is much more money to be lost.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #41 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
... that will 'brick" your batteries. At $80 a pop, you gotta be careful when you plug 'em into the charger. A hot Makita battery will "brick" as soon as you plug it in. A battery run to zero will do it as well.

There is. It's just a little Diode sized sensor that pops. The Makita center down in Sacramento used to repair them.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #42 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Quote:
Meh, I wouldn't worry about it.
Intellectually I agree, odds are remote. However I have lost 99.5% of my worldly possessions once in my life and the .5% that I didn't lose just happen to be in my garage, it's insured but I would be distraught to lose that .5% after what it took to hold on to it and what it represents to me. It's symbolic or sentimental jibberish but I'd rather spent $200 on a fire cabniet then let it naw at me.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #43 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
My suggestion, dump the LiPo and go with other batteries. Sure they don't hold as much charge but don't have the issues LiPo have.

As I said in the Lance thread, I collected all my LiPo's and tossed them, 9 of them, in the trash, I am done with them and will never go back. Also remember the Li-ion batteries they use in most tools, are not LiPo and do not suffer from the same issues

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.

Last edited by Overbear; 01-05-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #44 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
My suggestion, dump the LiPo and go with other batteries. Sure they don't hold as much charge but don't have the issues LiPo have.

As I said in the Lance thread, I collected all my LiPo's and tossed them, 9 of them, in the trash, I am done with them and will never go back.
Already did that with the chicom flashlights but am hesitant to ditch my new cordless tools which I have been buying to replace my old stuff as the nicad batteries die.

My last RC battery caught fire a few years ago and I never replaced it. Gave the car away in fact.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #45 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:
Already did that with the chicom flashlights but am hesitant to ditch my new cordless tools which I have been buying to replace my old stuff as the nicad batteries die.

My last RC battery caught fire a few years ago and I never replaced it. Gave the car away in fact.
you sure they are LiPo and not Li-ion? I know all my Milwaukee stuff is Li-Ion.

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 22801
I will def be changing the way I charge mine

but for all of you who are saying "I tossed mine in the trash" I hope you mean that you recycled them, if not you are pretty much doing more harm than the idiots that wheel off trail or in illegal areas
Old 01-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #47 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot4me View Post
I will def be changing the way I charge mine

but for all of you who are saying "I tossed mine in the trash" I hope you mean that you recycled them, if not you are pretty much doing more harm than the idiots that wheel off trail or in illegal areas

Good Point.
instructions on how to neutralize a lipo battery for disposal.
http://www.rctoys.com/pdf/thunder-po...-batteries.pdf

you can also take them to some hobby shops and they will dispose of them for you.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:

You have good taste in powered tools .

I own industrial-strength Milwaukee power tools. And I took advice from a buddy/shop owner: "If you're a homeowner/weekend warrior-type, corded power tools are perfectly fine and ranks high on the K.I.S.S. list."

BTW; Your . No pun intended, eh ?!

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:

Mine seem to be auto resetting? I've charged them from being badly discharged (without putting shorting clips on one, it's not going to go to 0% anyways), and I've had them refuse to charge because they were hot/cold. All of them charged, sometimes you had to reset them on the charger after a minute or two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #50 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot4me View Post

So educate us, What are the ramifications of throwing a battery in the trash ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in