How To Deal With LiPo Batteries Safely; Knowledgeable Ones Please Entre'! - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #51 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 27179
Send a message via AIM to reklund5
Lance's event sure opened my eyes. I've just gotten back into RC after years away- in fact I just got a new Axial Score Trophy truck for xmas. A few months back, I was given a Team Associated Apex drift car (tons of fun, btw!) and immediately upgraded from the Ni-MH battery (7.2V) to the biggest 11.1V LiPo battery on Amazon. I bought a pair of cheap ChiCom Fluoreon batteries, and have been using them without issue, other than having to modify the car to make them fit. I'm immediately skeptical of them after reading about all the issues with them. Right now, they're stored in a ceramic pot, with a lid, in the garage. I'll be buying a small fire safe cabinet to keep batteries in, and probably upgrade to some nicer batteries as these wear out. I'm not losing all my stuff to a $40 Chicom battery!

I don't think twice about my Makita batteries in the garage, but I don't keep them on the charger at all. I do keep my vehicles on battery tenders all the time...wonder how safe that is long term?
reklund5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Dumb Question

So is a LiPo battery affected by extreme cold temperatures like most other batteries?

Here in Idaho my son has played airsoft wargames during Winter when the frickin' temp. is around 8*F with a 2MPH breeze.

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:
Originally Posted by reklund5 View Post
Lance's event sure opened my eyes.

I do keep my vehicles on battery tenders all the time...wonder how safe that is long term?
Frickin' A-men to your first point.

What's the reason, with your last point ?

I hardly drive my DD any more due to commuting by bicycling and now being retired. It sits 90% of the time now.

"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
Old 01-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 24091
I charge four 6s Inspire lipos in this at one time. Not sure how in the hell I'm supposed to stick it in a battery bag. Even if I could, four burning batteries would probably still heat a bag enough to start burning stuff around it.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Dumb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBlueCJ7 View Post
I charge four 6s Inspire lipos in this at one time. Not sure how in the hell I'm supposed to stick it in a battery bag. Even if I could, four burning batteries would probably still heat a bag enough to start burning stuff around it.

Are those four batteries on top?

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
Old 01-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #56 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
So is a LiPo battery affected by extreme cold temperatures like most other batteries?

Here in Idaho my son has played airsoft wargames during Winter when the frickin' temp. is around 8*F with a 2MPH breeze.
subfreezing temperatures are not good for LiPo batteries due to their chemistry. I wouldn't recommend using them in that environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBlueCJ7 View Post

common sense would tell you to just put the charger in an are where there isn't a chance of open flames catching something on fire. It's not that hard.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #57 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Keith's fire was caused by a nihm/nicd charger. I have the same charger and I don't leave it plugged in when it's not charging a battery.

There is zero need to be afraid of lipo batteries. Just understand that they need to be treated decent and you'll be 100% fine. Of the billions of lipo batteries out there what's the percentage of lipo fires that weren't 100% user induced? Maybe .001% tops? The slightest risk is worth the superior output of lipo.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post
The slightest risk is worth the superior output of lipo.
So, you would use them in sex toys?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #59 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
So, you would use them in sex toys?
If I was into shoving things in my ass (sorry overtard it's not my thing) I'd be all over using lipo instead of alkaline. There is a much higher risk of major injury from 110v appliances such as Hitachi magic wand or a sybian.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #60 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:
Keith's fire was caused by a nihm/nicd charger. I have the same charger and I don't leave it plugged in when it's not charging a battery.

There is zero need to be afraid of lipo batteries. Just understand that they need to be treated decent and you'll be 100% fine. Of the billions of lipo batteries out there what's the percentage of lipo fires that weren't 100% user induced? Maybe .001% tops? The slightest risk is worth the superior output of lipo.

There's actually a lot of concern over the use of "B" grade lipos. the name brand manufacturers buy "A" grade, meaning they have lower internal resistance, and are balanced better, by output.

"B" grade batteries are sold at a lower cost by the manufacturers to off brand companies that in turn sell them at a discount to the public.

The higher the internal resistance, the more likely the battery will fail. that failure can result in a fire because a high internal resistance means heat build up, and the battery can "run-away" on you once it gets hot enough, and catch fire.

so no, LiPo failures are not 100% user error.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #61 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
All I've ever used are B grade lipos. I've got some puffy 1300 3s packs from using them on brushless go fast rigs (discharged at too high of a rate) that have been running strong for 6 years since. The odds are so miniscule of their being an issue I don't understand the fear some people have for a battery.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:
All I've ever used are B grade lipos. I've got some puffy 1300 3s packs from using them on brushless go fast rigs (discharged at too high of a rate) that have been running strong for 6 years since. The odds are so miniscule of their being an issue I don't understand the fear some people have for a battery.

So now there are grades of LiPo batteries ?!

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
Old 01-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #63 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:
I've had some pop. I don't like it. I've also seen some go up in flames at the track, sometimes taking the vehicle with it, one time taking part of the hobby shop with it. That one was from a sponsored racer who balance charged his batteries as a rule, and didn't keep them beyond about 20 -30 cycles. It was a 3 alarm fire at mikes' hobby shop in carrollton texas around 2012.

I get that you haven't had any issues, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. If you look at the link to rcgroups posted earlier, and the video I posted, it does happen.

running puffed lipo's isn't even allowed at a ROAR sanctioned racetrack because of the fire potential. It voids their insurance coverage.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #64 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:

So now there are grades of LiPo batteries ?!
there always have been. It's the same as buying alkalines at the dollar store vs. buying top of the line energizers.

EDIT: I just realized how much I've been dominating this thread. If you guys want me to back off just tell me.

If not, a little background:
I've been in the r/c hobby since 1985, when I was 11. I started racing in 1986 and got my first sponsorship in 1989. I've built, customized and worked on r/c cars since 1991, off and on, as a side business. I raced regionally in Northern california in ROAR,NORRCA and the defunct R/C AMA circuits. To do that, I've had to learn how to maintain my vehicles, both the mechanics of them and the electronics. I have been running scalers/crawlers for the last few years, but will be getting back into racing next month.

Batteries are extremely important to that aspect, and will make or break a race. The basics are the same as running the old NiMh batteries:

You want the cells to have the same output, duration, and internal resistance. If you have one cell that is weaker than the others, it will create a bottleneck at that connection and build up heat. Build up enough heat, and it becomes unstoppable, rupturing the seal on the pack, and catching fire. I've done it with both NiMh and LiPo batteries. The difference is that the LiPo burns much hotter.

Last edited by makya; 01-05-2016 at 12:13 PM.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 12:03 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
there always have been. It's the same as buying alkalines at the dollar store vs. buying top of the line energizers.
My point is 'new-to-me' grades of said batteries.

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
Old 01-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #66 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Quote:
I've had some pop. I don't like it. I've also seen some go up in flames at the track, sometimes taking the vehicle with it, one time taking part of the hobby shop with it. That one was from a sponsored racer who balance charged his batteries as a rule, and didn't keep them beyond about 20 -30 cycles. It was a 3 alarm fire at mikes' hobby shop in carrollton texas around 2012.

I get that you haven't had any issues, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. If you look at the link to rcgroups posted earlier, and the video I posted, it does happen.

running puffed lipo's isn't even allowed at a ROAR sanctioned racetrack because of the fire potential. It voids their insurance coverage.
Don't get me wrong, I know shit can go sideways with lipos. I've had nihm and nicd cells vent a handful of times but never a lipo.

Most of the issues I've seen are from people not understanding how to treat the newer technology. They assume it's the same as nihm and treat them as such then they have issues and suddenly it's the batteries fault.

I have 2 pit bulls and I use lipo batteries regularly. I'm obviously living on the edge.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #67 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I know shit can go sideways with lipos. I've had nihm and nicd cells vent a handful of times but never a lipo.

Most of the issues I've seen are from people not understanding how to treat the newer technology. They assume it's the same as nihm and treat them as such then they have issues and suddenly it's the batteries fault.

I have 2 pit bulls and I use lipo batteries regularly. I'm obviously living on the edge.
The funny thing for me, is that my Hobbyking and Valuehobby packs in my crawlers are plugging along just fine, but my $$$$ ProTek 2S 75C 4200mah shorty pack popped on me

I wanna buy a couple of those little pitbulls. they look like they'd be fun in a skate park.

Like you, I think education is key. I still see people asking if they can use nimh chargers for their lipos
Old 01-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #68 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
I've used the nihm setting on my $30 chicom charger to bring back a dead lipo. If it's too low of voltage the charger won't recognize it. 15 seconds on nimh and it'll bring it back.

I have 2 pit bull dogs so I obviously live in fear that they will attack me in my sleep while my chicom lipos burn the house down around me.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #69 (permalink)
Apple

Member # 41250
Quote:
I've used the nihm setting on my $30 chicom charger to bring back a dead lipo. If it's too low of voltage the charger won't recognize it. 15 seconds on nimh and it'll bring it back.

I have 2 pit bull dogs so I obviously live in fear that they will attack me in my sleep while my chicom lipos burn the house down around me.
oops. I misread that then.

...or worse, they'll chew on your LiPo packs, catch fire and chew on you to your flaming death.

I may or may not have done the same for others as far as bringing back a lipo pack. It's not something I would recommend for anyone to do.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #70 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Nope, I don't recommend "bump starting" a lipo either but fuggit, I had to try it.

Edit:

As far as skateboard park running my exo is a fawking blast! There is a park in a podunk town near me with a bad ass park that has a 10' tube you can do loops in or drive over. It's a riot but hard on parts.

Last edited by DWT; 01-05-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:

EDIT: I just realized how much I've been dominating this thread. If you guys want me to back off just tell me.

If not, a little background:
I've been in the r/c hobby since 1985, when I was 11. I started racing in 1986 and got my first sponsorship in 1989. I've built, customized and worked on r/c cars since 1991, off and on, as a side business. I raced regionally in Northern california in ROAR,NORRCA and the defunct R/C AMA circuits. To do that, I've had to learn how to maintain my vehicles, both the mechanics of them and the electronics. I have been running scalers/crawlers for the last few years, but will be getting back into racing next month.

Batteries are extremely important to that aspect, and will make or break a race. The basics are the same as running the old NiMh batteries:

You want the cells to have the same output, duration, and internal resistance. If you have one cell that is weaker than the others, it will create a bottleneck at that connection and build up heat. Build up enough heat, and it becomes unstoppable, rupturing the seal on the pack, and catching fire. I've done it with both NiMh and LiPo batteries. The difference is that the LiPo burns much hotter.
I made this thread to accumulate knowledge and experiences with LiPo batteries.

As long as you post your knowledge and/or experience, post as much as you want .

Fug everyone else !

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!

Last edited by CDA 455; 01-05-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 22801
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
So educate us, What are the ramifications of throwing a battery in the trash ?
they are supposedly "environmentally friendly", but lets get real and figure that they are def not 100% good for the environment.

All it takes is one person to not prepare it for the landfill by discharging it completely or tossing one in that damaged but still has juice and it could still cause a fire. Why not treat it like other batteries and take it to Lowes or Best Buy or a similar place that will take it?
Old 01-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #73 (permalink)
Pat

Member # 120
Charge with the proper current for the size of battery
Charge outside
Use a decent charger or one specific for the battery, make sure it is set correctly for LIPO's
If damaged watch out
Old 01-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot4me View Post
they are supposedly "environmentally friendly", but lets get real and figure that they are def not 100% good for the environment.

All it takes is one person to not prepare it for the landfill by discharging it completely or tossing one in that damaged but still has juice and it could still cause a fire. Why not treat it like other batteries and take it to Lowes or Best Buy or a similar place that will take it?
Fires are good for the landfill. They burn underground and accelerate the decomposition process of materials by a factor of 1000. Okay, maybe not good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #75 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 27179
Send a message via AIM to reklund5
Quote:
Frickin' A-men to your first point.

What's the reason, with your last point ?

I hardly drive my DD any more due to commuting by bicycling and now being retired. It sits 90% of the time now.
Sorry...i was thinking about what I leave plugged in and charging and rambled a bit. Has nothing to do with LiPo batteries. Carry on!
reklund5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in