Gary Johnson 2016 - Page 39 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #951 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Member # 174037
Location: 'Cuse
Posts: 4,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
Ny safe act did a lot more than ban bump stocks. Red flag laws, registration, waiting periods, etc.


Those are all infringements.
The "bump stock ban" classified any gun with a bump stock as a "machine gun" making it subject to federal regulation. Federal regulations which some would deam to be a 2nd amendment violation.

The NYS safe act did the same thing by classifying any gun with certain features as an "assault weapon" making it subject to the rules of the safe act.

So if the bump stock ban isn't an infringement on the second amendment how can the safe act be?
will12785 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #952 (permalink)
Newbie
 
AnimalMother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Member # 810498
Posts: 66
Everyone can talk about how awesome libertarians are on paper but let's see a candidate that's embodies all these stances. Gary Johnson sure as shit wasn't it.

https://youtu.be/TW5gQo43ay4
__________________
I'm already preblown so I'm already hooked up - Dimebag

Last edited by AnimalMother; 01-20-2020 at 02:43 PM.
AnimalMother is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #953 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Member # 198851
Location: In a state of insanity
Posts: 5,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
The libertarian stance is also that government (federal, state, & local) has zero place in abortion. That grates on most "conservatives" since they feel they have the right to ban it. Same thing goes for marriage. Most conservatives want marriage to be between one man & one woman. Libertarians say it's none of the government's business what consenting adults choose to do in regards to marriage.
What was the Founding fathers' views on abortion?
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #954 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner
 
Texas97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 111524
Location: Texas... we dont F*&*% around
Posts: 15,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by will12785 View Post
The "bump stock ban" classified any gun with a bump stock as a "machine gun" making it subject to federal regulation. Federal regulations which some would deam to be a 2nd amendment violation.

The NYS safe act did the same thing by classifying any gun with certain features as an "assault weapon" making it subject to the rules of the safe act.

So if the bump stock ban isn't an infringement on the second amendment how can the safe act be?
actually, the bump stock was reclassified as a machine gun on its own, which since it had literally no impact on the function of a firearm, was completely ludicrous.

The safe act put limits on and regulated anything deemed an "assault weapon" (among other things), and since that infringed on and regulated actual firearms and the processes around possessing them, its clearly a second amendment infringement, as well as several others, including the 4th amendment and 5th amendment.

If you want to have a discussion about how the treatment of actual machine guns and the restrictions on them are violations on the second amendment, then i'm all for it, because thats factual. But just because the government defines something a certain way, doesn't mean it actually is that thing.

if something is unconstitutional, does it deserve less or more outrage depending on what Amendments to the BOR it violates? IE, the bump stock ban is unconstitutional, so does it matter what portion of the constitution it violates? or are we only really concerned and outraged about the 2nd amendment and no others?


remember, this is all just food for thought. im not dismissing how wrong any of these laws are, but maybe trying to get people to reflect on what rights the laws violate and where outrage should be placed.
__________________
shhhh.....
Texas97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #955 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 86724
Posts: 29,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADChevy4x4 View Post
Yes, and the SAFE act likely has the highest rate of non compliance by citizens and law enforcement of any gun law in the US....
100% doesn't fucking matter.

law exists. eventually it will be enforced.
__________________
Electricity is really just organized lightning.
87manche is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 05:40 PM   #956 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 86724
Posts: 29,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
actually, the bump stock was reclassified as a machine gun on its own, which since it had literally no impact on the function of a firearm, was completely ludicrous.

The safe act put limits on and regulated anything deemed an "assault weapon" (among other things), and since that infringed on and regulated actual firearms and the processes around possessing them, its clearly a second amendment infringement, as well as several others, including the 4th amendment and 5th amendment.

If you want to have a discussion about how the treatment of actual machine guns and the restrictions on them are violations on the second amendment, then i'm all for it, because thats factual. But just because the government defines something a certain way, doesn't mean it actually is that thing.

if something is unconstitutional, does it deserve less or more outrage depending on what Amendments to the BOR it violates? IE, the bump stock ban is unconstitutional, so does it matter what portion of the constitution it violates? or are we only really concerned and outraged about the 2nd amendment and no others?


remember, this is all just food for thought. im not dismissing how wrong any of these laws are, but maybe trying to get people to reflect on what rights the laws violate and where outrage should be placed.
I agree that framing the bump stock thing in a 2nd amendment argument means you have to agree that a piece of plastic is legally defined as a machine gun and that is crazy.

but atf be crazy.

I guess that's the point of being mad about it. Government literally just defined something as something it wasn't and then it was illegal.
__________________
Electricity is really just organized lightning.
87manche is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 05:46 PM   #957 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Juztyn00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Member # 52569
Location: Mt. Vernon, IL
Posts: 4,526
Send a message via MSN to Juztyn00
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalMother View Post
Everyone can talk about how awesome libertarians are on paper but let's see a candidate that's embodies all these stances. Gary Johnson sure as shit wasn't it.

https://youtu.be/TW5gQo43ay4
This..... so much this. Find me a Charismatic, electable libertarian that actually has libertarian views and maybe some of us will get on the bandwagon. Heck how about simply some candidates for offices other than the presidency. Lets see some libertarian mayors and governors to prove proof of concept.
Juztyn00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 06:00 PM   #958 (permalink)
Gravity Works!
 
Landslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25608
Location: One foot in the grave
Posts: 30,938
So much for the has been window licker GI and his anti gun anti 2nd amendment running mate. Who the fawk is your 2020 hero? Y’all scared to say? Closet voter supporters?
__________________
Peg Leg Fab Lab
Landslide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 06:32 PM   #959 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Member # 192237
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 11,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
didja see that we've got a trillion dollar deficit with this latest budget?

but by gawd, at least them 18-20 year olds can't buy smokes no more!!
omnibus is not a budget
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 06:37 PM   #960 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Member # 192237
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 11,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
means you have to agree that a piece of plastic is legally defined as a machine gun and that is crazy.
string has been serialized
wire coathanger and an aluminum can have both been used to make swift links

then there's those 3d printed swift links, but that's kind of less impactful IMO because you need a lot of tooling rather than just a pliers or the ability to tie a knot
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #961 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner
 
Texas97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 111524
Location: Texas... we dont F*&*% around
Posts: 15,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
I agree that framing the bump stock thing in a 2nd amendment argument means you have to agree that a piece of plastic is legally defined as a machine gun and that is crazy.

but atf be crazy.

I guess that's the point of being mad about it. Government literally just defined something as something it wasn't and then it was illegal.
Whew. I was worried I was talking to a wall.


But your post is concise and gets to the heart of it. The only way it's going to be overturned is to overturn the machine gun ban. I just don't see the courts overturning it as most judges are too politically motivated to actually begin to understand mechanics as it applies to bump firing and " one trigger pull, one bullet".
__________________
shhhh.....
Texas97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.