PBB Amateur (and Professional) Lawyers clicky here - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 63318
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVEman View Post
The decorator that hired your Dad should make things right.
Pretty much this. If your dad was hired by the decorator, he's a subcontractor and needs to be paid by the prime. If the homeowner is unhappy with the job, that's between he and the prime, not the subcontractor. That said, your dad did the job he was hired to do, his burden ends there and he deserves to be paid for his time.
75PPE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #27 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
Send them a bill in the mail. They will probably pay it. None of the rich people I know pay there own bills. It will get paid and he will get his money before they know it happened. If ever.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
III

Member # 2032
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75PPE View Post
Pretty much this. If your dad was hired by the decorator, he's a subcontractor and needs to be paid by the prime. If the homeowner is unhappy with the job, that's between he and the prime, not the subcontractor. That said, your dad did the job he was hired to do, his burden ends there and he deserves to be paid for his time.
I agree with this. That said, contracts, even ones that are poorly written, are at least a documented agreement for service. At least he would have something to walk into court with. I would sue just out of principle, but I'm contrary like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 225201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I used to know a guy who built big masonry fireplaces and chimneys. When he got the final payment he would go drop a brick down the chimney to break the glass he had put in the chimney about mid height to prevent these types of things.
That's genius.
erictylers1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
lien might be the easiest way to go depending on state laws. In a lot states you only have 30 days to file a intent to lien on residential, so don't screw around.
^^^^
Even without a contract, its worth trying.

Quote:
I used to know a guy who built big masonry fireplaces and chimneys. When he got the final payment he would go drop a brick down the chimney to break the glass he had put in the chimney about mid height to prevent these types of things.
Thats awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 39791
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
^^^^
Even without a contract, its worth trying.

Thats awesome.
Small claims court or a mechanic's lien. He won't be able to do anything with the property with a lien on it. All Dad has to do is prove he did the work and completed the install. The fact that the guy doesn't like the materials is an entirely different and unrelated matter. Install to spec, get paid. Dude needs to ante up.

__

Last edited by White Shark; 01-29-2016 at 01:28 PM.
White Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 198851
Quote:
I can't say it didn't happen but it's all over the Internet and traces back to the 1930's...
ADChevy4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 184907
My Dad just called me, the guy paid him $550 of the $700. The homeowner is happy with three of the four walls, even though they are all identical. Dad is writing off the rest.

I mentioned that he needs to use work orders or some sort of written agreement for his jobs. He said, "I've been hanging paper for 40 years. This is the first time I've never been paid, I'll be okay." Okay Dad...
LB-LB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #34 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
At that price throw a dozen roundup water balloons in his yard and call it a day.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 86685
And he's telling the truth. Once in 40 years is a damn good record.
s10er8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #36 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17947
Send a message via AIM to jaluhn
[QUOTE=socsmm6;35311946The wall paper is not his, it belongs to the home owner. [/QUOTE]

Seems to me that if dad wasn't paid the wallpaper would still belong to him....

I agree there'd be all kinds of legal trouble going there and ripping it down, but saying it belongs to the homeowner doesn't make sense.
jaluhn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaluhn View Post

I agree there'd be all kinds of legal trouble going there and ripping it down, but saying it belongs to the homeowner doesn't make sense.
The homeowner bought the wallpaper, then paid OP's dad to hang it. Thus, the wallpaper belongs to the homeowner.

I think he should go after the decorator for the other $150.

DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 3935
Quote:
So what happens when you mail him a payment and then when you get home from the post office you have a fire in your fireplace?
southernfriedcj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #39 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 74936
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfriedcj8 View Post
So what happens when you mail him a payment and then when you get home from the post office you have a fire in your fireplace?
And what?, the guy gets his final check and says "hey I forgot my wallet on the top of your chimney, I'm going to unload the ladders and go up and get it"
Awkward.

I miss my Kayla.
daddytall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 198851
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddytall View Post
And what?, the guy gets his final check and says "hey I forgot my wallet on the top of your chimney, I'm going to unload the ladders and go up and get it"
Awkward.
And what about the broken glass suddenly appearing in the hearth? No problem just clean it up and explain it to customer how you booby trapped ann honest person's chimney..And if the mason doesn't get back in time and the house fills with smoke ? See ya in court....

The mason was telling a tale......
ADChevy4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 03:49 PM   #41 (permalink)
III

Member # 2032
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfriedcj8 View Post
I don't know. He's dead now. Shall I have a seance and ask him? I saw him do it on a 12 million dollar house. Not sure what the outcome was.

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB-LB View Post
My Dad just called me, the guy paid him $550 of the $700. The homeowner is happy with three of the four walls, even though they are all identical. Dad is writing off the rest.

I mentioned that he needs to use work orders or some sort of written agreement for his jobs. He said, "I've been hanging paper for 40 years. This is the first time I've never been paid, I'll be okay." Okay Dad...
Good on your Dad. Nothing wrong with good ole trust and in 40 yrs it has worked. Old school ways are sometimes what humanity needs.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Go mbeire muid beo ar an am seo arís[/COLOR]
NERVEman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 112738
Quote:
Interesting story. Snopes shows it as a "Legend", but it is actually pretty genius.

Crafty Worker's Boobytrap : snopes.com

A mason builds a new fireplace for a wealthy man. When the mason finishes the job, he asks for his money, but the wealthy client says he can't pay just now. He doesn't have the right change. That's all right, the mason says. But if he has to wait, then the client does too. The wealthy man agrees. He won't build a fire in his new chimney until he's paid the mason. The mason goes home. Just an hour or so later, his wealthy client appears at the door. "My house is full of smoke, goddammit!"

"I told you not to use that chimney until you paid me," says the mason. "When you pay me, I'll fix it."

So the client gets out his wallet, which is full of change after all, and the mason returns to the rich man's house. The mason brings a brick with him. He carries the brick up a ladder to the roof and drops it down the chimney, smashing out the pane of glass he had mortared across the flue.

Origins: How Cartoon of the legend long this story has been around is anyone's guess. Some date it as far back as the 1930s or 1940s. It's still in vogue, though — in 1994 a caller to a Los Angeles radio show told this legend on the air.

One long-standing complaint about workmen is that once they've been paid, they lose interest in finishing the job at hand. Not only is this stereotype unfair, but it also disguises the fact that the reverse can be true: workmen also sometimes have difficulty collecting money due to them from customers who lose interest in paying once the job is complete. Though we'd like to believe the scenario described here did play out in real life, it's more likely a case of wishful thinking fashioned into a story — one which celebrates the blue-collar guy who was smart enough to retain the upper hand. The homeowner is usually described as well-to-do, and his reluctance to pay is never based upon a dispute over the quality of the work or the completeness of the job. We therefore cheer for the clever workman who finds an inventive way to force timely payment of what's owed him.

Last edited by zlathim; 01-29-2016 at 04:29 PM.
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Lesson I learned long ago is never trust rich people, they are cheapest fawkers on the planet and have no problem screwing you.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 75114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Lesson I learned long ago is never trust rich people, they are cheapest fawkers on the planet and have no problem screwing you.
keeptahoewhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 19077
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbroncojeff View Post

Or maybe this

And shit in the guys toilet reservoir tank while he's there.
The upper decker is always effective.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:54 PM   #47 (permalink)
What did you expect?

Member # 119290
Quote:
Fan-Fucking-tastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB-LB View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS View Post
At that price throw a dozen roundup water balloons in his yard and call it a day.
Nope, that's vandalism. Pour fertilizer in the shape of a penis. The grass will grow faster and greener than the surrounding lawn, and it's not damage.
HAPPYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 110075
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaluhn View Post

More than likely it really does not matter who bought the paper. It is now part of the house. You can't reposes it.
Had a cousin install cabinets in a few spec houses for a contractor. Contractor sold a couple of the houses and filed bankruptcy without paying any of the subs. By law he could not repo any of the cabinets because they were fixtures of the house. Cousin ended up going bankrupt because of it, and a few other things.
socsmm6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in