2000 Dodge Dakota good or not? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2016, 08:26 AM   #26 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peow130 View Post
I had a buddy with a 98 Durango and he got hit head on and walked away so I'm of the belief that they're decent rigs. I'm not a brand fanboy, but I like to know what to look for.
So your criteria for a vehicle to drive is that it crashes well, ancedotally? You really are an engineer.

First gen toyota tundra is a little more money and a lot more truck.

Last edited by DMG; 01-31-2016 at 08:28 AM.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2016, 08:29 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 145439
FWIW I've had an 01 Tahoe for 5 yrs and the only things I've done were fuel pump at 200,000,trans at 220,000, and brakes. The fuel pump and trans were the original units. I'm at 270,000 now and not a worry, would trust it to go anywhere. Parts are cheap and plentiful, its comfortable, and plenty of power.

Last edited by MTFB; 01-31-2016 at 08:30 AM.
MTFB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 123919
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
So your criteria for a vehicle to drive is that it crashes well, ancedotally? You really are an engineer.

First gen toyota tundra is a little more money and a lot more truck.
I was looking at tundra as well. Anything wrong with the first gen tundras?

And I just meant they were safe. Considering I just got spun 360* jn a fucking honda hatchback safety is kind of a priority.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:41 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 123919
Looks like this thread turned into a "talk Bryan into a full size thread"...
So...

F150 with a 5.4. All I know is that the 5.4 likes to snap spark plugs into the heads and the exhaust manifolds all crack.

Early 2000s chevy with a 5.3: previously mentioned common electrical plus most likely reasonably high mileage..

Tundra with tundra v8?: I know dick all about these trucks
Old 01-31-2016, 08:44 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 123919
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyM View Post
Its an old rig...price seems close. Having dealt with Tiny one time I consider him a hell of a mechanic and a better person than you would think owns a used car lot. I went there on a recommendation of a friend that has known him for years... I'd do it if it meets all your needs and is in your budget.

Best of luck...

J
Seems like a decent rig, that's why I asked. I know which lots in this town are shit or not, my family has been in the car industry in spokane for some time now.

@SanDiegoCJ: well, we can't all afford brand new vehicles. And on top of that, just because it is a used car lot doesn't mean it is a shitty used car lot.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:44 AM   #31 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
I was looking at tundra as well. Anything wrong with the first gen tundras?

And I just meant they were safe. Considering I just got spun 360* jn a fucking honda hatchback safety is kind of a priority.
I was just busting your balls about the crash.
I have an 03 tundra with 226000 hard miles and it runs like new. They are great trucks.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:49 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 110516
On the used car lot comments, I have bought half a dozen vehicles from 3 different lots. I have also sold a couple of vehicles on consignment at one of those 3 lots. I never had a problem with any of them that wasn't told to me upfront. I never felt like I got screwed. There are trustworthy people in ever type of business, including used car lots. The hard part is finding the honest ones.

Maybe the Toyotas and Rangers, etc are priced high because they are actually worth owning. The Dakota is priced cheap, IMO because they are not that great of a vehicle. The full size GMs are priced cheap, IMO because there are more of them out there than any other truck that shares the same platform from half ton to one ton. They are plentiful, cheap, reliable, and cheap to repair when they do break.

Small/Midsized trucks sell no where near the numbers that full size trucks do. This increases their cost. The good small/midsized trucks will bring a premium, which increases cost. Do I think they are overpriced? Yes. Are they priced at what the market will bear? Yes. You can get a full size GM in equal or better condition for significantly less money than a small/midsized truck. Shit, 25 year old Toyota pickups still sell for over $3k here. My 99 Silverado I sold for $3k was in much better shape than most of the $3k Toyotas I see for sale here, and it is ten years newer and has twice the load capacity. What I am getting at is quality small/midsized trucks will bring a premium, as you are now seeing.

Will that Dakota be a POS? Will you get screwed by a used car lot dealer? Maybe to both statements. If you think you would like the Dakota, go meet the guy and give it a spin. Whatever you do, let us know how it goes.
KDXSR5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 123919
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDXSR5 View Post
Will that Dakota be a POS? Will you get screwed by a used car lot dealer? Maybe to both statements. If you think you would like the Dakota, go meet the guy and give it a spin. Whatever you do, let us know how it goes.
I agree with everything you said. The Rangers and toyota I know are good rigs, I just wasn't sure about the dakota. I mean I know the ram trucks are decent from that era, but I had no real idea on the smaller one. I still plan to go drive. It, for the price/miles/options (v6 5 speed) it has its appeal.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:06 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 123919
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
I was just busting your balls about the crash.
I have an 03 tundra with 226000 hard miles and it runs like new. They are great trucks.
My balls are so fucking swollen already from getting busted all week.

What motor and trans on the tundra? Any issues with either?

What about late model T100's? I seem to see a lot of those, but seem to recall they only come with a V6?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:07 AM   #35 (permalink)
FoMoCo MoFo

Member # 79002
Location: My little kingdom of awesome. Near Olympia, Thurston county, Wa
Don't forget to look in Idaho too. The lower cost of living might net a lower purchase price.

Quote:
I want everyone to have everything. I want gays to be able to fuck each other in the ass, in the middle of a field of weed while shooting pistols in the air like yosemite sam shouting that there is no god.
Totalled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2016, 09:21 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 110516
Quote:

What about late model T100's? I seem to see a lot of those, but seem to recall they only come with a V6?
I have known a few people that have owned them, and almost bought one myself. The drivetrain is the same as the Tacoma at the time. The chassis and the body were unique to the T100. They were not made in huge numbers. The biggest problem the people I knew that had them was finding T100 unique parts. If something on the interior breaks, good luck finding another one. If you get a bedside smashed, you will more than likely not find another one. The prices for the T100 unique parts that are out there are really high. The low numbers produced, combined with the parts availability and prices is what turned me away from the T100.

Last edited by KDXSR5; 01-31-2016 at 09:22 AM.
KDXSR5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #37 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
My balls are so fucking swollen already from getting busted all week.

What motor and trans on the tundra? Any issues with either?

4.7 V8/AWsomething auto trans. Trans was improved in 03. Went to 5 speed auto in 05.

I also have a 98 T100 and it is really well built. It has the same 3.4 that was used in the Tacomas. Similar other drivetrain parts. The front suspension stuff it the same as the 86-95 trucks. The T100 is now up at my cabin and will sit neglected for months then fire up to work or haul kayaks, etc.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 3236
Quote:
Looks like this thread turned into a "talk Bryan into a full size thread"...
So...

F150 with a 5.4. All I know is that the 5.4 likes to snap spark plugs into the heads and the exhaust manifolds all crack.

Early 2000s chevy with a 5.3: previously mentioned common electrical plus most likely reasonably high mileage..

Tundra with tundra v8?: I know dick all about these trucks
I am a Ford guy but I bought 3 GM 1/2 tons in the 4.6 / 5.4 years; open the hood on a F-150 and a comparable year GM 1500 and think about the work involved and accessibility to change the plugs and exhaust manifolds on the Ford vs. the GM. The biggest downfall on that era of GM's is the dash stepper motors which was a $199 fix on my 2002 to have someone swap in a rebuilt instrument panel, I think the stepper motors are down to ~$20 for a 6 pack of them now.

For a semi-beater PU the first generation Tundras are not on near the same level of being able to buy cheap used parts off of CL, at least where I am. Throw in a 90,000 mile timing belt change interval on a interference engine and I would want to factor in the timing belt change cost into the purchase if there was not positive proof that it had been done.

I had a couple of newer Dakota's as company supplied work trucks as well (2006-2007 or so, 4.7/ 5 spd. auto), they were both brand new when I got them, they both go worse mileage than my 4.8 1500 and I got the second one because the first one's transmission / transfer case blew up and locked up the drivetrain.

Last edited by jasonmt; 01-31-2016 at 10:18 AM.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 123919
Found a 99 chevy 2wd double cab (I think) and an older pop up camper for just under 5k.. has the 4.6 (4.8?) And was maintained according to the guy. I'll probably go check it out.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:48 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 130483
Its a 4.8 if its the 99-07 body and a V8
4.3 is the V6
Very good motors but they are low on tq compaired to the 5.3
Electrical issues are not common on the 99-02s,knock sensors are a issue due to rust if you wash the engine alot or wheel it in water/mud
The 4L60e is hit and miss,some last 50k when babied,some last 150k when abused,but its a common GM rwd tranny and a shit ton of options of building them are out there
The 10b rear is not the best esp with the g80 gov lock,but again common axle with a shit ton of options
The front brakes are great,back disks suck,expect to replace them 2-3x for every front set

Last edited by 92 s dime; 01-31-2016 at 02:49 PM.
92 s dime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 270274
Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinPete View Post
They ain't that bad. But it is a 16 year old truck. Ball joints, front brakes, and rusted brake lines seem to be the weak spots.
^^^THIS. Thankfully it's also a 5-spd. That'll cover the anemia of the V-6.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:48 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 41063
The Dakota is average. It's a medium sized light duty pickup. It won't tow your house boat and it won't run the Rubicon in 2WD but it's a decent beater with decent mileage for a US truck and will haul a couple bags of cement and lumber or whatever typical junk you want to throw in it. The major problems have already been mentioned, though the ball joints are not as bad as they were since all of them from that era should have been replaced in the recall, but that sort of issue tends to linger as rumor. If you try to modify the suspension, you can count on them wearing out quickly. It's a Dakota, so keep that in mind. Don't expect it to blow you or run your balloon knot in just the right way like some of these people think Toyotas do and you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:38 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 4251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
The Dakota is average. It's a medium sized light duty pickup. It won't tow your house boat and it won't run the Rubicon in 2WD but it's a decent beater with decent mileage for a US truck and will haul a couple bags of cement and lumber or whatever typical junk you want to throw in it. The major problems have already been mentioned, though the ball joints are not as bad as they were since all of them from that era should have been replaced in the recall, but that sort of issue tends to linger as rumor. If you try to modify the suspension, you can count on them wearing out quickly. It's a Dakota, so keep that in mind. Don't expect it to blow you or run your balloon knot in just the right way like some of these people think Toyotas do and you won't be disappointed.
Thats about it!

I've got a 2000 Dakota Quad cab 4.7, 5 speed. It's a decent size for commuting. A little small for towing. 4.7 is not a great engine and prone to sludge if not cared for by the PO. Low gas mileage that gets even worse when pulling a 6x10 trailer. But since they are wide for a mid size it pulls straight and stable.

Its had its share of repairs. Had the rear end rebuilt twice. Had to swap in a junkyard trans when the pilot bearing ate the nose of the main shaft. Had to replace the AC system when the condenser and pump went. But looking back it has still been cheaper than a truck payment.

If I was to do it over I'd get a full size. It just doesn't have the pull when you need it going up a hill. I cant even think what the V6 is like.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
Thats about it!

I've got a 2000 Dakota Quad cab 4.7, 5 speed. It's a decent size for commuting. A little small for towing. 4.7 is not a great engine and prone to sludge if not cared for by the PO. Low gas mileage that gets even worse when pulling a 6x10 trailer. But since they are wide for a mid size it pulls straight and stable.

Its had its share of repairs. Had the rear end rebuilt twice. Had to swap in a junkyard trans when the pilot bearing ate the nose of the main shaft. Had to replace the AC system when the condenser and pump went. But looking back it has still been cheaper than a truck payment.

If I was to do it over I'd get a full size. It just doesn't have the pull when you need it going up a hill. I cant even think what the V6 is like.
i owned a 1997 Dakota identical to the OP truck for 14 years. i would probably still be driving it if that bitch hadnt been texting, run that red light and spun me into a concrete wall.

In all the years i drove it, ill break down what i did:

new mopar performance timing chain tensioner, timing chain and cam sprockets (easy to do really)

new clutch in 2004.

new rack and pinion steering (easy to do)

a couple years before it was totaled, i needed a new ECM and a new fuel pump. both pretty cheap parts and the fuel pump wasnt hard either.

new power steering pump (easy to do, i did 7 of them in a two week period because the rebuilds from vatozone were shitty)

i swapped in a throttle body from a V8 318 and did a thottle cable mod from a jeep and that made the biggest performance upgrade of all. with the stick you can get up and go with that thing. was a pretty fun vehicle.

all in all, my dakota was the little truck that could. the paint went when i stopped carring about washing it. for about the last 8 years, aside from the fuel pump and ECm, all i did was change the oil. it was totalled with 242,000 on the clock. and i wouldnt have ever hesitated to drive it all over the country. it took 4 trips from Texas to Atlanta, one up throug Tenessee and even went to Mardi Gras from San Antonio a couple of times.

for 4k and knowing that someone has gone through the truck and it in good running shape, i think you could do a lot worse. The stick shift is what makes that truck. if it was an automatic, id say to pass.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 4251
Good points. I forgot I had the ECM go bad on me as well. Ran fine but the check engine light stayed on and I could not get it inspected.

Replaced the radiator when it had issues.

Paint is burned through on mine as well. But that is my fault for never actually washing it while I have owned it.

Last edited by Johann; 02-01-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 45512
My wife daily drives a 2004 quad cab 4x4 dakota for the last 8 years. Lots of nickel and dime stuff but nothing major. I had 2 Rangers before that and they were probably more reliable but I didn't own them as long.
I do agree on the full size, none of the dakotas get great fuel mileage, but when I bought this I thought daily parking might be easier for her than a full size, and the quad has bigger rear doors than some full sizes.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 123919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
for 4k and knowing that someone has gone through the truck and it in good running shape, i think you could do a lot worse. The stick shift is what makes that truck. if it was an automatic, id say to pass.
Great info, thank you.

I'm not even sure if that truck is still on that lot. We drove by yesterday and didn't see it, but I plan on calling on it in a few hrs.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 522705
That Truck probably isn't a 2000 even. I have a 97 and the 5 spoke rims were 97 and 98 only then they went to 10 spoke rims. Truck is not worth the asking price either. 12 Mpg city and a gutless V6.
86grandwagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86grandwagoneer View Post
That Truck probably isn't a 2000 even. I have a 97 and the 5 spoke rims were 97 and 98 only then they went to 10 spoke rims. Truck is not worth the asking price either. 12 Mpg city and a gutless V6.
definitely not a 97. the interior around the shifter is the giveaway, along with the selectable passenger airbag lock.

that thing is a 4x4, which i didnt see the first time. mine was a 2wd.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 123919
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86grandwagoneer View Post
4K for a 2000 model mid-size truck with 160K? You're on fucking crack if you think that isn't a good price for this area. Politely fuck off from this thread.

In other news: That dakota sold on friday, anyways.

Might go look at this pile of ford later:
http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5388041507.html

Last edited by Peow130; 02-01-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Peow130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in