BMX legend Dave Mirra dead at 41 - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 04:45 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 75208
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
Selfish fuck.
Suicide isn't selfish, because the 'self' is being eliminated.
Holocene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2016, 05:08 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 107575
What are the chances he had CTE?

Edit- apparently pretty high.

Last edited by bigdummy30; 02-05-2016 at 05:12 AM.
bigdummy30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2016, 06:33 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 127163
CTE was my very first thought. Apparently Dave also had a TBI from getting hit by a car when he was younger, almost ended his career. So I'd say he's had his fair share of head trauma that could have led to CTE. And to think, he was always the dude wearing a full face moto helmet during all competitions when most guys were only wearing tiny pro-tec brain buckets.

So sad to see him go, he was one of my childhood idols. My only BMX bike was a Haro because of him. Apparently my sister met him and hung out at his house in Greenville years back, said he was a really chill guy.

http://davemirra.com/about/

Last edited by dcorn; 02-05-2016 at 06:37 AM.
dcorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2016, 07:19 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 43837
Bummer.

I remember when Jeff Phillips took his life often still.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #55 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 4178
Send a message via AIM to mlogan24 Send a message via Yahoo to mlogan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holocene View Post
Suicide isn't selfish, because the 'self' is being eliminated.
It's selfish when you leave kids behind
mlogan24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 174037
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlogan24 View Post
It's selfish when you leave kids behind
Or maybe its selfish to ridicule who was in so much pain they felt ending it all was their only option.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
will12785 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #57 (permalink)
III

Member # 2032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
Some 'issues' can't ever be fixed no mater how much help you get. It doesn't mean I agree with his choice but, I get where some things just can't be changed or fixed no mater what you do.

RIP Dave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by will12785 View Post
Or maybe its selfish to ridicule who was in so much pain they felt ending it all was their only option.
This. Depression is a terrible, terrible thing. Be super grateful if it has never haunted your for months or years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 3007
I loved watching him ride and when I saw this last night it really hit me for some reason. Maybe it's because I am going through some pretty deep personal things right now and suicide isn't even in the farthest part of my brain. I feel so terrible for him and his family.

"Having it all" doesn't mean you won't have any problems in life. Things can still suck really bad to the point you are in a constant state of misery.

RIP Dave, you will be missed
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2016, 10:39 PM   #59 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 4178
Send a message via AIM to mlogan24 Send a message via Yahoo to mlogan24
Quote:

No. If someone is battling depression and they take their own life it is tragic. BUT, when you have little kids that are depending on you, and you take your own life, it is also selfish. That's not ridicule, it's a statement of fact. They are quite literally acting out the definition of selfish, when they prioritize their "self" in front of their child's "self". Suicide is always tragic and heart breaking, but, yes, the fact is that when a parent of young kids commits suicide, it is also selfish.
mlogan24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2016, 12:28 AM   #60 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 119530
Quote:
No. If someone is battling depression and they take their own life it is tragic. BUT, when you have little kids that are depending on you, and you take your own life, it is also selfish. That's not ridicule, it's a statement of fact. They are quite literally acting out the definition of selfish, when they prioritize their "self" in front of their child's "self". Suicide is always tragic and heart breaking, but, yes, the fact is that when a parent of young kids commits suicide, it is also selfish.
But you are using logic to try to understand, explain, and condemn an inherently illogical thought process. Sounds like you don't get it.

Last edited by pwerrec; 02-06-2016 at 12:29 AM.
pwerrec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 628250
Quote:
I'll never understand why some people can't mind their own business, take care of their own family, the way they see fit, and stay out of other peoples lives.

There's no point in judging and condemning someone you have never met before, that wants nothing to do with you. Or speculating about situations, you know nothing about.

How difficult is it, to leave other people alone and do your own thing?

Last edited by Illysium; 02-06-2016 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Irrelevance and alcohol.
Illysium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwerrec View Post
But you are using logic to try to understand, explain, and condemn an inherently illogical thought process.
Yes. Mental illness is basically the brain malfunctioning.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 174037
Quote:
Your failing to comprehend that the things going on in this man's brain were more powerful than his love for his children. Its been said that depression is the only thing more powerful than love. The emotional damage is more than most people can ever understand. He may have very well felt that his family was better off without him and the pain of his children having to deal with his death was less than the pain of them dealing with him alive.

will12785 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2016, 08:25 AM   #64 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5.5 View Post
Yes. Mental illness is basically the brain malfunctioning.
It can also be chemical (body organ imbalance) that causes it. Me, I have anger issues (big shock I know) due to a overproduction of testosterone and adrenaline. Some people seem to think I enjoy being on edge all the time, it ain't fun.

I can't even start to imagine what it would be like to be depressed to the point that ending your life is the only option you can see. However the people here judging Dave for what he did, need to walk a few miles in someone elses shoes to even hope to understand.

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Your failing to comprehend that the things going on in this man's brain were more powerful than his love for his children. Its been said that depression is the only thing more powerful than love. The emotional damage is more than most people can ever understand. He may have very well felt that his family was better off without him and the pain of his children having to deal with his death was less than the pain of them dealing with him alive.

I think the will to live is strong and natural. Killing yerself isn't natural and I don't expect that it comes easy. Gotta be terrible to be in that head space.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:

Never heard it said that way, but I can surely believe it. I've heard a doctor describing a certain persons condition. He said that during an episode, you could tell them "I love you " and their brain would process it into "I hate you". That person is no longer with us.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
I think the will to live is strong and natural. Killing yerself isn't natural and I don't expect that it comes easy. Gotta be terrible to be in that head space.
Yeah. Holy shit yeah.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #68 (permalink)
The dude abides

Member # 114517
Quote:

Well put.My best friend of 35 years ended his life,after dealing with mental issues.He was a very stand up man ,had 3 children.Nobody would have ever had a thought that he would/could take his own life. I still think that if he would have called me he would still be here.Dont judge until you've been in the same situation.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #69 (permalink)
JF

Member # 133890
I really do not think there's any reason to question his love for his family. The only real question is the functional condition of his brian.

He was hit by a drunk driver while crossing the street in the early 90s. Fracturing his skull, and creating a blood clot on the brain. He later endured countless slams in his BMX career. Many broken bones and at least one slam hard enough to rupture his spleen.

Also listed boxing as a hobby so, his brain did not have an easy life.

He was supremely talented, and exceptionally driven. I was a kid in the BMX scene back when the X Games first ran. He was inspiring, and even this many years later it's sad to see him go. I would not fault him for something he obviously did not have control of.
JF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in