Met Mack Gwinn, Jr. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2016, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 216158
Met Mack Gwinn, Jr.

My father in law is a 90yr old veteran and has been staying with us for the last 9 months. His dementia has gotten much worse over the last few weeks so we had to make the tough decision to take him to the VA in Togus. He's been there 2 days.

Well I kept seeing this other veteran in the hallway and talking with him. One of the guys on the staff told me I ought to google him, so I did and was amazed at what this guy has done.

https://www.mgi-military.com/index.php?id=29

He kept coming up to me and telling me that all he wanted was a good steak and a cold beer. I'd love to sneak that in for him, but know how much trouble I could get him in. Unfortunately, Mack's mind is such that he doesn't even remember any of the incredible things he has accomplished. I was honored to meet him.
zr2toxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
What trouble ? He's friggin old, a vet and he can have any friggin thing he wants. I'd be bringing him a steak and a beer. He deserves it.
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 216158
Oh I know, couldn't agree more. There's a guy on the staff I talked to about it and he wants to do it too. I'm going to try to figure out something.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 171786
I'd cook and cut up a steak for that gentleman before it's too late and there's nothing wrong with a small glass of beer. You could bring him a pony bottle of Little Kings.
I'd say he earned his steak and a beer.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
Sin52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 171786
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2toxj View Post
He kept coming up to me and telling me that all he wanted was a good steak and a cold beer. I'd love to sneak that in for him, but know how much trouble I could get him in. Unfortunately, Mack's mind is such that he doesn't even remember any of the incredible things he has accomplished. I was honored to meet him.
At his age it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.

Last edited by Sin52; 02-27-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Sin52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 83811
I did a rotation through a VA nursing home a while ago, and the residents could have two beers a day as long as their Dr says it's fine. As much as you would like to give him a nice cold beer it might screw with his medications to much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bogof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 216158
He certainly has. I think he had 9 patents. Good guy too. Even an Odoulles in a frosty mug would make his day.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 216158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogof View Post
I did a rotation through a VA nursing home a while ago, and the residents could have two beers a day as long as their Dr says it's fine. As much as you would like to give him a nice cold beer it might screw with his medications to much.
Yeah, that's my concern. I don't want to do more damage than good, but I think the staff member can check for me.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 83811
The VA center here had a list of approved people taped to the side of the beer fridge. It may be different there.

bogof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 67681
I'll pay for a nice filet for him. Let me know. I can paypal you the money if you'd like.

Find the closest steakhouse so that it is in good condition when it arrives. I'd go a nice medium/medium rare so that it's not too hard to chew.

Last edited by rugger; 02-27-2016 at 09:24 AM.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 09:24 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 216158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogof View Post
The VA center here had a list of approved people taped to the side of the beer fridge. It may be different there.
Well the staff guy is a vet too, and he said I'd have to talk with the director or whatever his title is, so it's sounds like the policy here is no alcohol. But I'm going to check it out further.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in