useless things about your day you want others to know. gcc - Page 143 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #3551 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Send a message via AIM to Brad Send a message via Yahoo to Brad
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
You can bet your ass the company is paying the temp agency $40+/hr (just the hourly wage, not counting workers comp and other overhead)
Yep. Which is fucked up but saves them a headache if the guy gets hurt or they don’t want to keep him after 3 months. One guy joked about quiting, going to work for the temp making $34 and then they would hire him on after 3 months

Last edited by Brad; 07-01-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #3552 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
can you explain how you met up more?

congrats on the race... that is serious running
Runners world magazine had a forum section that is now discontinued. I started posting in the "3:20 or bust" section looking for training advice. A few people from the board ran a marathon and we met for food afterwords so we could become "less than imaginary" friends.
He did Tahoe 200 and invited me to run about 17 miles with him.
When he got in to Western States he asked if I'd want to help, said he didn't need help, then asked if I wanted to do 18-38 miles with him after he did 62. When he showed up at 62 he told me the only reason he didn't drop at 55.7 (Michinga Bluff) was because he knew I was waiting for him at 62. It was definitely a struggle getting through the night. Lots of ups and downs (literally) along with passing people. Some of which did not finish (so they spent a BUNCH of money and training to not finish a race they entered, or not get a buckle) or finished over the 30 hour cutoff.

I told him a few times we're hiking faster than I walk into a grocery store. I'm not sure how I kept that kind of speed up but I'm going to go with "I was all hopped up on Mountain Dew and PB&J Sandwiches." Our average pace overall for the 38 miles was about 17:45. Not too fast but when you account for doing it over 12.5 hours it kind of becomes impressive.
H8DWINGS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #3553 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Yep. Which is fucked up but saves them a headache if the guy gets hurt or they donít want to keep him after 3 months. One guy joked about quiting, going to work for the temp making $34 and then they would hire him on after 3 months
Guy should have simply applied for the job and shown up for the interview. When they ask WTF is going on say "Well I heard you have an opening and my current employer doesn't pay as much as you.

The difference is the company isn't paying for insurance or anything else. Probably costs them more than $34 an hour to keep you or him employed. Maybe ask the boss if you can make $34 an hour if you don't get any benefits including vacation or sick time (if you even get that) and see what they say.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #3554 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 44662
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishguy77 View Post
Wife watched the kids all day. I got caught up on the yard and rigs. 3 tanks of fuel through the trimmer and almost a full tank through the rider. Got my space cleared where I am going to build my solar kiln for drying slabs. And oil changes for all the rigs.

Feels good to get caught up.
HFD to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please post a build thread.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #3555 (permalink)

Member # 226216
useless things about your day you want others to know. gcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER View Post
Please post a build thread.

I will but it may be a slow ish one. Have to get squared away for the 4th trip first.
Base and floor will be new lumber. Wall lumber will be scrap old decking. Front will be removable for easier loading. Top will be hinged at the back. All of this is subject to change as the plans are completely in my head after watching a few YouTube videos.

Last edited by thefishguy77; 07-01-2019 at 03:18 PM.
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #3556 (permalink)

Member # 152210
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
Runners world magazine had a forum section that is now discontinued. I started posting in the "3:20 or bust" section looking for training advice. A few people from the board ran a marathon and we met for food afterwords so we could become "less than imaginary" friends.
He did Tahoe 200 and invited me to run about 17 miles with him.
When he got in to Western States he asked if I'd want to help, said he didn't need help, then asked if I wanted to do 18-38 miles with him after he did 62. When he showed up at 62 he told me the only reason he didn't drop at 55.7 (Michinga Bluff) was because he knew I was waiting for him at 62. It was definitely a struggle getting through the night. Lots of ups and downs (literally) along with passing people. Some of which did not finish (so they spent a BUNCH of money and training to not finish a race they entered, or not get a buckle) or finished over the 30 hour cutoff.

I told him a few times we're hiking faster than I walk into a grocery store. I'm not sure how I kept that kind of speed up but I'm going to go with "I was all hopped up on Mountain Dew and PB&J Sandwiches." Our average pace overall for the 38 miles was about 17:45. Not too fast but when you account for doing it over 12.5 hours it kind of becomes impressive.
thanks for sharing... that is really, truly, impressive.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:45 AM   #3557 (permalink)

Member # 66677
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishguy77 View Post
I will but it may be a slow ish one. Have to get squared away for the 4th trip first.
Base and floor will be new lumber. Wall lumber will be scrap old decking. Front will be removable for easier loading. Top will be hinged at the back. All of this is subject to change as the plans are completely in my head after watching a few YouTube videos.

I built one about 4 years ago. If I were to build one again, I would make a rear access instead of a hingged top although what you’re looking at on youtube may be different. Pic of mine for reference 10’x6’

[QUOTE=Rooney77;14997648]We choose not to ignore you because we choose to "cleanse" our beloved PBB of as much ignorance as possible. I'm sure having klansmen in your heritage you can understand the mentality. You are the jew of the PBB. Look in you e-yard, that's our cross burning.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by HUSSLR187; 07-02-2019 at 02:53 AM.
HUSSLR187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2019, 05:01 AM   #3558 (permalink)

Member # 41789
Here is a link to a set of plans if anyone is interested. It also has some good info on drying. Its on my list of projects but likely going to have to wait another year.

https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/...20-030_pdf.pdf
alk1174 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #3559 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
thanks for sharing... that is really, truly, impressive.
If you REALLY want to be impressed the winner did it in 14 hours and 9 minutes.

Placer High School in Auburn, CA. Last weekend in June each year. Be there from 10:00-11:00am on Sunday and you'll see what a person can make themselves do. Robie Point is a BITCH of a climb at that point and the final mile point two on the road is a spot you'll see people know they have to push for the next 18 minutes to get a belt buckle.

www.wser.org Last weekend in June 2020.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #3560 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
Guy should have simply applied for the job and shown up for the interview. When they ask WTF is going on say "Well I heard you have an opening and my current employer doesn't pay as much as you.

The difference is the company isn't paying for insurance or anything else. Probably costs them more than $34 an hour to keep you or him employed. Maybe ask the boss if you can make $34 an hour if you don't get any benefits including vacation or sick time (if you even get that) and see what they say.
Guy that saw it wasnít interested(not a Fitter) but by the time he told anyone the ad was taken off the site but still showed up on google. Had the VP come talk to everyone yesterday saying that the temp company uses ads like that to bait people in with high salary postings. Also that the temp agency said they mixed up the ads with another company(or something along those lines but after I looked after work I could t find any other listings). Assured us that they didnít agree to pay that to anyone and it would be stupid of them to do so bringing someone in at that rate when no one in the shop makes that. Doesnít really matter to me. I donít foresee myself staying at this place much longer. Top of the payscale as it is and absolutely no desire to be a foreman in this shop/company after hearing everything that goes on and the BS they have to deal with(friend is the welder foreman and I know he doesnít make much more than I do)
Old 07-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #3561 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Picked up another 8.1L 4x4 dually today with only 92k. If I didn't already have it sold to a client, I'd keep it for another haul truck.

I'm convinced only a retard would buy a 6.0 Ford, there's way too many other good trucks out there.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #3562 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Interview went OK this morning for a completely different type of job. Have a secondary Interview at the location I said I was more interested at a time TBD. They seemed to like me and what skills I brought to the table. The guy that walked me out(friend of a friend that works there) told me to embellish on some of my answers and bring up more mechanical stuff I’ve done. Thankfully there was no “tell me about a time when..” questions

Last edited by Brad; 07-03-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #3563 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 109423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Interview went OK this morning for a completely different type of job. Have a secondary Interview at the location I said I was more interested at a time TBD. They seemed to like me and what skills I brought to the table. The guy that walked me out(friend of a friend that works there) told me to embellish on some of my answers and bring up more mechanical stuff Iíve done. Thankfully there was no ďtell me about a time when..Ē questions
When are they shooting an offer?! Marathon will take a bit... moves slow.
You n the fam hitting the parade tonight? See yall there....
Go back to riding your Fag Dog Brokeback or whatever the fuck its called.
1990GT50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #3564 (permalink)

Member # 688970
I went in to work early today, so I could get off early to build cabinet doors and drawers for the kitchen cabinets I rebuilt last weekend. Came home took a nap instead and don't feel like doing shit but drinking beer now
santa V2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #3565 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
6.uh-oh problems up in the hood. Last month the EGR delete in my F250 decided to spring a leak. Best I could tell it was the blue silicone hose causing the slight drip. Off comes the turbo, intake manifold, wiring harness; basically 4 hours worth of disassembly and 4 of reassembly. Well, that wasn't the issue and my drip was now a full blown leak at that point. I had other things to focus my efforts on and stuck it on the back burner. Fast forward a month and I finally had time today to take it all apart again. This time I found the o ring that had failed. So $1.29 later it's all good again.

Which is great because Monday my other 6.0 F350 dropped an injector and now it has a clogged EGR tube due to the 500 miles of limping I did rounding out our trip through Missouri.

So I guess I'm doing oil cooler, 8 new injectors, an EGR delete and FICM this weekend. I could just weld up the EGR and replace one injector but I'm kinda tired of doing shit to these trucks. Just gonna bite the bullet and do it all at once. It's at 167k miles so I'm sure it's going to start acting up otherwise. That 170'ish thousand mile mark is a tough one.

Last edited by Action Fab; 07-03-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #3566 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990GT50 View Post
When are they shooting an offer?! Marathon will take a bit... moves slow.
You n the fam hitting the parade tonight? See yall there....
Donít know when/if at all. Itís the place Max works for. I said I preferred the Mare Island Shop soni need toninterview with them too. One of the guys was there today, the other couldnít make it.
Havenít heard anything from marathon.
No parade tonight
Old 07-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #3567 (permalink)

Member # 53528
6 months later and my cummins VE injection pump that i completely rebuilt on my front porch is still working flawlessly cost me less than 100$
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #3568 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 13671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
6.uh-oh problems up in the hood. Last month the EGR delete in my F250 decided to spring a leak. Best I could tell it was the blue silicone hose causing the slight drip. Off comes the turbo, intake manifold, wiring harness; basically 4 hours worth of disassembly and 4 of reassembly. Well, that wasn't the issue and my drip was now a full blown leak at that point. I had other things to focus my efforts on and stuck it on the back burner. Fast forward a month and I finally had time today to take it all apart again. This time I found the o ring that had failed. So $1.29 later it's all good again.

Which is great because Monday my other 6.0 F350 dropped an injector and now it has a clogged EGR tube due to the 500 miles of limping I did rounding out our trip through Missouri.

So I guess I'm doing oil cooler, 8 new injectors, an EGR delete and FICM this weekend. I could just weld up the EGR and replace one injector but I'm kinda tired of doing shit to these trucks. Just gonna bite the bullet and do it all at once. It's at 167k miles so I'm sure it's going to start acting up otherwise. That 170'ish thousand mile mark is a tough one.
Fummins time? Such a badass truck with such a pos engine
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 06:44 PM   #3569 (permalink)

Member # 82607
So I picked up a 2000 lb crane off of a service truck today
Not sure if I am going to keep it or peddle it yet.
I would like to build another dump trailer with a longer tongue and mount it right on the front. It has a winch and a power up telescopic boom.
I think I stole it. I gave the man what he was asking for it.
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #3570 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Fummins time? Such a badass truck with such a pos engine
Meh. The engine isn't that bad. It pulls fantastic and the transmission that backs it is amazing. We tow some heavy ass trailers that really limit what kind of trucks we can run. If I did go Cummins it would have to be hopped up or I'd need something late model. I finally sold my last 7.3 because it literally couldn't get to highway speeds with the out LQ trailer.

The F250 was completely trouble free for the first 130k miles. I knew it needed an oil cooler but we had just sold my 02 7.3 and needed it the weekend it failed. It really falls on me for chancing it. I certainly didn't think it would rupture and mix oil with coolant. But lessons were learned. So two years later I finally put an engine in it after buying a complete parts truck and now have all sorts of spare stuff for both trucks and my van.

The F350 is bone stock. It's been pretty great. We bought it at 100k miles and it now has 167k. It dropped a #7 and #5 injector after having a battery issue. I put the spare FICM on it after #5 went bad but it still might have a voltage issue. It's just one of those things where things snow ball with these trucks if you don't catch issues quickly. Probably the worst part about it is they still work just fine when there's a problem so most people get themselves in a lot of trouble that way.

So far I've been using used injectors from the spare engine that came out of the F250. I think it's time to bite the bullet and buy new parts and just do a bunch of preventive maintenance on the F350. We use these trucks too much and travel too far.

I have gone back and forth with the Cummins idea and it really comes down to transmission issues. Nobody has come up with a way to make the 5r110 shift correctly with a 5.9 in front of it due to the way it senses load. I don't hate the 6.0. It is a very complicated engine that I have a very good grasp on at this point. So I guess I'll just be like those Audi weirdos and enjoy my quarky cheap trucks that nobody else likes.

Last edited by Action Fab; 07-03-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:36 PM   #3571 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:

there's an 08 6.0 f450 on craigslist with a service body and crane for $3k with a blown up motor
I have the thought of buying it and dumping a detroit 453 or something into it that's got no wires
but then I remember what it'd cost to register and decide to keep my '93

Last edited by [486]; 07-03-2019 at 07:37 PM.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #3572 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
there's an 08 6.0 f450 on craigslist with a service body and crane for $3k with a blown up motor
I have the thought of buying it and dumping a detroit 453 or something into it that's got no wires
but then I remember what it'd cost to register and decide to keep my '93
Yeah I wish my truck had the dana 110 or something more MDT. This is about all the motor my truck wants with a sterling.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #3573 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Yeah I wish my truck had the dana 110 or something more MDT. This is about all the motor my truck wants with a sterling.
surprised you aren't making a comment on the 120hp detroit
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #3574 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
I'm convinced only a retard would buy a 6.0 Ford, there's way too many other good trucks out there.

Quote:
6.uh-oh problems up in the hood.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #3575 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSSLR187 View Post
I built one about 4 years ago. If I were to build one again, I would make a rear access instead of a hingged top although what youíre looking at on youtube may be different. Pic of mine for reference 10íx6í

Have plans and parts for one that is about 20x18. The front is the access and I think has 10ft tall doors. The back I think goes down to only 4ft, but we plan on making it taller so a forklift can be used to fill it.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in