useless things about your day you want others to know. gcc - Page 145 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #3601 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan View Post
Have a left over 24' stick of 1" square tubing, need to cut it to store it. Debating 2 12's or a 10' and 14'. I am certain no matter how I cut it, I will need 2" longer next time I need it

Luckily it was only $14, so not a big deal. But I hate hard decisions.
inorite?

I'll trip over a full stick for a year before finally getting pissed enough to cut it
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019, 08:28 PM   #3602 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
inorite?

I'll trip over a full stick for a year before finally getting pissed enough to cut it
If it was something more useful than 16ga 1" I would prob keep tripping over it. But I am a week in and its annoying me.

Maybe I will hang it from the ceiling for a bit, it will fit out of the way there... / not

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #3603 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
I just bought this thing the other day

Its my first Jeep so what i dont understand is how does this Jeep thing work? Do i have to wave at every Jeep or just jkís all decked out, or do I stick to only pick up versions of jeeps cause that will make it easy as i dont think i ever seen one of these things anywhere around here except for the brand new ones which are starting to pop up all over town.

Also is there any good sites to join where I can ask newb questions like what size tires can i fit, how do i inflate the tires, and how many cylinders does the v8 have without getting picked on, thanks
You need to name it "rusty Jay" and decal the side of the hood with it. Then put one of those hand stickers on the drivers mirror.

For some reason every JK or jeep that's wheeled these days has some dumbass name on the hood.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #3604 (permalink)

Member # 137692
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75' Forty View Post
Got a call last Monday from my boss while i was on vacation.

Another division of the company reached out to HR who reached out to him about me as the primary candidate for a position.

I was in unofficial talks about 1.5 months back on a position for this division that was a friends old position he recommended me for, some things changed at work and the wife & I are now interested/willing to move as a result, however position was backfilled when i asked my friend about it.

Details provided to me on the brief call were vague but i was asked if i wanted to pursue the position and was under the assumption it was this one and maybe my friend was wrong. Asked if so & so was the manager, he was unsure really of any details outside of a job title that was similar enough in nature. Told my boss i had some questions that i needed answered but yes i was interested in pursuing.

Haven't heard anything since which is understandable with the 4th & Friday we shut the shop down, so i rang up my friend to talk to him today briefly. Position is for sure backfilled...So here i sit wondering for the next 18 hrs WTF is the position they're interested in me for and hope i'm not stuck moving forward if it's not what i thought it was.
Flipping pissed. Found out what the job was on my own...Found out today i'm likely no longer in consideration because they said i wasn't available for a ridiculous amount of time. Sounds like i'd likely be replaced with an internal person with a 1-2 weeks transition period and help out as needed after that...Does not make any sense.

Going to go around some of this red tape BS and reach out to someone i know a few levels up of this position being hired to just drop it in there ear we are looking to move and keep us in consideration.

My boss is out of here at the end of this month, pretty annoyed to say the least why he wouldn't just let me go with a quick move if that's what the job needed.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #3605 (permalink)

Member # 137692
Quote:
Going to go around some of this red tape BS and reach out to someone i know a few levels up of this position being hired to just drop it in there ear we are looking to move and keep us in consideration.
Sent an email saying we were looking to move sooner than later, and to check in to see how he was doing, blah blah blah and to keep me in mind for any positions that may be a good fit.

He responded with some pleasantries and then we were considering you for job XYZ (same job and answered my suspicions) however the timeline given wasn't going to work out for us so we had to move on. I'm supposedly on a list for future openings in the group.

Pretty fucking pissed to say the least.

Told my boss after we had lunch that i want the position in this group and to re-enage HR with it again, i shouldn't lose out on it over something that was said without discussing with me.

Likely too late at this point, and absolutely pisses me off. Boss was pushing for me to let go of this one and another job will come along.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:24 PM   #3606 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan View Post
Maybe I will hang it from the ceiling for a bit, it will fit out of the way there... / not
Sometimes jest is the best answer....
Attached Images

Fear is not an option!
Old 07-09-2019, 07:28 PM   #3607 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Quote:
Sent an email saying we were looking to move sooner than later, and to check in to see how he was doing, blah blah blah and to keep me in mind for any positions that may be a good fit.

He responded with some pleasantries and then we were considering you for job XYZ (same job and answered my suspicions) however the timeline given wasn't going to work out for us so we had to move on. I'm supposedly on a list for future openings in the group.

Pretty fucking pissed to say the least.

Told my boss after we had lunch that i want the position in this group and to re-enage HR with it again, i shouldn't lose out on it over something that was said without discussing with me.

Likely too late at this point, and absolutely pisses me off. Boss was pushing for me to let go of this one and another job will come along.
My boss was in today (been off for two weeks) and asked me about my latest 'review' as in if they were taking care of me...

I was subtle but explained not to the tune I want. He shook his head and gave his side of it (all good for me) and asked what I am going to do. I told him I am willing to ride it out for the moment bc I love what I do, but end of the day... he just shook his head in agreement.

Time will tell. I am sticking with it for now, as it is an excellent opportunity and the experience I am getting is bare none top notch. But at some point it is going to come down to the $$

Fear is not an option!
Old 07-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #3608 (permalink)

Member # 192237
fawkin a your bmw is still apart?
it getting monotherms yet?
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #3609 (permalink)

Member # 52361
I have 3 pretty similar 12 passenger vans.

#1 is converted to 4wd and about ready to drive, or sell
#2 has no engine, but a cherry interior, and is in storage 20 miles away
#3 is the twin to #2, also runs, cherry interior, just bought this one, going to convert this to 4wd and sell #1

So last night I pull most of the seats out of 1 &3 and swap them, today I drive 3 to work, then where 2 is stored, and swap those seats so that I can wind up with 2 running vans with nice interiors at home.

Also, since vans make nice dry storage, they're full of shit as well

I'm beat to shit

I should just take up drinking
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #3610 (permalink)
Pavement Challenged

Member # 73465
Went to put a new exhaust (Duffs) on the Bronco yesterday.... Sorta fit, but the studs on the back of the R exhaust manifold are too short.

I was dreading this as the manifolds haven't been touched since '96. So today went to pull the manifold off and it was as if they had only been on a day. I was lucky enough to have used anti-sieze when I assembled the engine, and though the bolts looked rusty as hell, they came out smooth... so I pulled the drivers side as well, (same story), sand blasted them, painted them and maybe I will get the exhaust in tomorrow.

Had to special order the 7/16 studs, so hopefully they will be in tomorrow.

Quote:
This country is trying to childproof the world when they should be worldproofing their children.
71PA_Highboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #3611 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
fawkin a your bmw is still apart?
it getting monotherms yet?
Fully runs, tech drives.... needs and alignment (m3 control arms on a non M3 makes for an interesting driving experience)

Just put the hood on (junk yard), just got the bumper cover painted, have new hood release cables (yea fun times when you close it and they pop out)

And now I am gone for the next 15 days for work.

Soon, soo soon.

Been too busy to dedicate time to it, recently I said fuck that and made time. so its been running for months, and finally doing the finishing touches.

And until recently driving around in a Denali Envoy has not been too hateful (shy the fuel mileage) but since the AC does not work, and it got hot out, the BMW got put back on the radar.

Fear is not an option!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #3612 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Just lowered a 65 foot antenna to the ground using 3 of my trucks with winches. Put back tension on it and cordless sawzalled big v notches on 2 of the legs and cut all the way through the 3rd one and it worked like a charm. A guy I know who claims he's an engineer told me it would collapse if I tried it. Sent him a couple pictures of success. Used it's own guy wires to the winches.
Name:  Resized_20190709_193510.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  36.1 KB
Old 07-10-2019, 12:37 AM   #3613 (permalink)

Member # 53453
My JK needed a bit or warranty work, honestly would have preferred they just gave me the part and let me give them back the core, but can't do that. So I dropped it at the dealer on Friday, even though it was booked in for Monday, but that way they can't bitch I didn't have it there early enough. Went camping for the weekend and whatnot. Monday rolls around and didn't hear anything, but whatever. Meanwhile a brake caliper seizes up on my rez-truck GMC. And the other DD Jeep needs a set of rear brakes and I don't have them in stock (nor does any parts place). So whatever, squealers gonna squeal, you pick the best of the garbage. Then the dealer calls today. "We didn't get to it today, even though it was booked in for today." Uh, no, it was booked for yesterday, and I'm 99% certain your techs' incompetence means you can't keep to any sort of schedule, but thanks for calling me to update.

My biggest gripe about buying a new Jeep was that any warranty work would need to be handled by these retards. They changed a transmission in a friend's truck because they couldn't troubleshoot a bad coil. Yeah.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #3614 (permalink)

Member # 82607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
Just lowered a 65 foot antenna to the ground using 3 of my trucks with winches. Put back tension on it and cordless sawzalled big v notches on 2 of the legs and cut all the way through the 3rd one and it worked like a charm. A guy I know who claims he's an engineer told me it would collapse if I tried it. Sent him a couple pictures of success. Used it's own guy wires to the winches.
Attachment 2936752
How do they normally take one down?
Any more pics of your winches?
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 05:55 PM   #3615 (permalink)

Member # 548137
Sweet little Colorado stream. The SNAKE river

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #3616 (permalink)

Member # 45049
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1 View Post
Climb it and disassemble it from the top down using a nifty device called a "gin pole"...

I've taken a dozen or so down that way and [knock on wood] haven't had any serious issues. All part of being a ham (amateur radio operator) if you aren't independently wealthy. the usual deal is "I'll take it down, but I get to keep it..."
Old 07-10-2019, 08:08 PM   #3617 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1 View Post

He thought it was gonna take a crane but didn't say it quite that way. I actually found a few videos on youtube of people taking them down different ways and that is when I could see that they were stronger than he claimed.
The winches were a front mounted Ramsey electric gear drive 8k , and a bed mounted electric gear drive 8k that says Thor on one side and Desert dynamics on the other end, and a smaller winch on the front of a 88 Ranger. My daughter videoed it and when she edits it and we put it on Youtube I'll post it up.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #3618 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4mechanic View Post
Climb it and disassemble it from the top down using a nifty device called a "gin pole"...

I've taken a dozen or so down that way and [knock on wood] haven't had any serious issues. All part of being a ham (amateur radio operator) if you aren't independently wealthy. the usual deal is "I'll take it down, but I get to keep it..."

I watched a video of someone assembling one that way and said nope, not doing that.. I was doing it for a lady I know who wants to sell it but could not make a deal with anyone so I told her I was 99 percent sure I could set it on the ground okay and she accepted that and she said she'd be okay if it ended up damaged. She just wants to sell the lot it was on.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #3619 (permalink)

Member # 235556
Kinda pissed at myself. Doing a solid axle swap on my obs f250 with superduty axles. Got the new front spring mounts all installed and was tacking the last piece on the rear shackle mount for the front axle when i got carried away and decided to just burn it in solid and not tack it. Only part i did that on. Everything else is tacked. Took some measurements and its an inch off. I know, not that big a deal, just frustrating. Guess i know what I'm re doing in the morning.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #3620 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
Attachment 2936752
My neighbor gave me a 30 foot windmill tower last fall. He was all worried it would crash down on his garage. I told him it would take me 30 minutes to loeer it onto my trailer from the time I showed up till I drove off.

It took me 35 minutes to get it down by myself because the old man kept getting on the trailer right under where I was lowering the tower to the trailer. Dang guy, if this falls you're dead! Go stand over there and just watch....
2 winches both with wireless remote controls, an A frame jib and a 2500 Dodge made bringing it down easy.

Once I got the guy out of the danger zone I had it down easy.

Love when a plan works out. Had calculated every scenario that could go wrong and planned for them not to happen.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeehaaaaaaaa
src="
border="0" alt="" title="flipoff2" class="inlineimg" />
SSSRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #3621 (permalink)

Member # 860424
We assembled this windmill on the ground then picked up the whole thing and set it in place. It's a 30 footer.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2019, 10:58 PM   #3622 (permalink)

Member # 88383
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT75FLH View Post
just pm dirtycommanche....

nice truck
Thanks, i pretty much been a 80s chevy guy my whole life and figured Iíd try something different

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
These are made for 37s. One of these is on my list
Iím gonna put some kinda lift on it just havent decided how big i want to go yet. I only have a 7foot garage door so i would like to still be able to park it in there. Was looking into enlarging it to 8feet but cant really find much info on how to go about doing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslander View Post
You need to name it "rusty Jay" and decal the side of the hood with it. Then put one of those hand stickers on the drivers mirror.

For some reason every JK or jeep that's wheeled these days has some dumbass name on the hood.
I donít think that has hit my area yet, havent seen anything with names on it yet. Most the jkís around here are driven by guys in business suits so they just have all the bolt parts and rockstar rims.

I have to figure out how to get that truck home. Itís 1100 miles away in Colorado, my friend has family out there so they had no issue towing it 20 miles to their house. My tow rig is a 1990 c1500 with a ton of miles and rust same goes with the trailer, if that truck was a little smaller like a 2wd s10 i might think about it but 4000+ pounds for that distance is pretty risky. Might just pay u-ship or keep my eye out on this forum and others if anyone with a empty trailer is going from Colorado to Chicago

Uhaul tow dolly maybe if it would fit
Old 07-11-2019, 04:39 AM   #3623 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Fly out there and drive it home roadkill style.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:55 AM   #3624 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post

Iím gonna put some kinda lift on it just havent decided how big i want to go yet. I only have a 7foot garage door so i would like to still be able to park it in there. Was looking into enlarging it to 8feet but cant really find much info on how to go about doing it
bigger tires, no lift.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:05 AM   #3625 (permalink)

Member # 84339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslander View Post
Fly out there and drive it home roadkill style.
Didn't Grendel do that recently as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
bigger tires, no lift.
And this. 35's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in