useless things about your day you want others to know. gcc - Page 158 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #3926 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
65 here, makes up for winter some.
Name:  65.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  44.6 KB
Old 08-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #3927 (permalink)

Member # 41063
81 here in the Virginia mountains. A little muggy. Weatherbug says it "feels like 90.

In other news I started drinking again a few weeks ago. Yuengling Traditional Lager for the most part. Pretty damn good.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #3928 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Gauge says 100 in the shade. Wish it was like this year around.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #3929 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
Blew up the engine in my Ranger over the weekend.

Looking for the engine out of an 2000ish Taurus to replace is because I have manual steering and want to use the Taurus belt drive and might as well swap to EDIS at the same time and may as well bump compression with flex fuel heads.

None of the fucking junkyards can tell me whether the engine comes with brackets and stuff. Like, you've supposedly got 5+ of these in stock, I'm sure one of them hasn't had all the shit taken off it yet.
I'm real appreciative of the little local jy near me
"I want that motor, and the serpentine belt better still be on there and tight when it is loaded in my truck"
'Ehhh, tree fitty if you pay cash'
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #3930 (permalink)

Member # 151818
cheers!!!!
Oh.......
Its like 75 Fkn degrees!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #3931 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
Blew up the engine in my Ranger over the weekend.

Looking for the engine out of an 2000ish Taurus to replace is because I have manual steering and want to use the Taurus belt drive and might as well swap to EDIS at the same time and may as well bump compression with flex fuel heads.

None of the fucking junkyards can tell me whether the engine comes with brackets and stuff. Like, you've supposedly got 5+ of these in stock, I'm sure one of them hasn't had all the shit taken off it yet.
I've got a couple cars at my yard, if you need anything stupid off them that fits in a flat rate box lmk
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 04:31 AM   #3932 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
I've got a couple cars at my yard, if you need anything stupid off them that fits in a flat rate box lmk
Thanks for the offer.

Presuming the seller gets his shit together I'm buying a $500 2000 Taurus with a slipping trans this weekend. That particular car should get me all the "nice to haves" that I mentioned in my prior comment. Based on his description of the symptoms I have reason to believe it will stop slipping in at least one gear once I add fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
I'm real appreciative of the little local jy near me
"I want that motor, and the serpentine belt better still be on there and tight when it is loaded in my truck"
'Ehhh, tree fitty if you pay cash'
I had that kind of relationship with three different yards over the years but now that I have a job, a house that needs updating, a shop that needs building and shitboxes that need maintenance I don't have that kind of time anymore. Maybe when my garage is built in the next 5-10yr I'll have that kind of time again.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 08-13-2019 at 04:32 AM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #3933 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoads View Post
103 in the hangar per the IR thermometer. I'm ready to head home.
forecast to be warmer today than yesterday. heat index between 110 and 118

it really didn't feel that bad yesterday here. An occasional breeze helps

our soccer team had a game called in Memphis on Sunday due to heat though

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Last edited by paragon; 08-13-2019 at 07:52 AM.
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #3934 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Thats damn hot
https://youtu.be/DpktBGInl60

thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #3935 (permalink)

Member # 40266
106 degree heat index at noon, predicted to be 116 degrees by 3:00pm, but it is a wet heat

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #3936 (permalink)

Member # 133009
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
106 degree heat index at noon, predicted to be 116 degrees by 3:00pm, but it is a wet heat
We saw 101 temp, 123 index earlier today. Hood of the truck read 148 with the IR thermometer, floor of a helicopter out on the pad read 153. Supposed to cool off tomorrow down to 92. Can't wait.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #3937 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123554
Temperature here is 93, heat index is 109, but at least we have 16 mph winds.

Aggie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #3938 (permalink)

Member # 112738
Took my son's Camaro to the drivetrain shop today. It's just a 8.5" 10 bolt, but it is getting 3.73 gears and a posi. We are also upgrading to 30 spline axles. The original open diff had 3.08 gears with taller than stock tires. It was a slug off the line. I'm looking forward to driving this thing when it is done.
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #3939 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Got a text from the girlfriend today. At the urging of her friend, she took her SUV to her friends husbands auto shop. Bad front wheel bearing. Quoted her $900 to fix it. Seems a bit steep considering I did the rear for $50 ish and 4 hours of not knowing what the hell I was doing. Dont know all the details as the conversation descended into stupidity, but hey he did offer to buy it for $200...

I miss being single
Old 08-13-2019, 05:42 PM   #3940 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaymuddy View Post
Dont know all the details as the conversation descended into stupidity, but hey he did offer to buy it for $200...
"nice job honey, I see there's a 97 accord on craigslist for $200 that just needs a transmission and doesn't have a title. With what he gave you you can get that one"
Old 08-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #3941 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Quote:
Originally Posted by '[486
]"nice job honey, I see there's a 97 accord on craigslist for $200 that just needs a transmission and doesn't have a title. With what he gave you you can get that one"
Yep, she seems to think spending much more on a new beater makes more sense than me having a look at it and doing the work myself. Why fix one issue when you can gamble on a whole new shitbox.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #3942 (permalink)

Member # 192237
well when you put it that way, it is a front wheel bearing

got any d60 fronts laying around?
Old 08-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #3943 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaymuddy View Post
Yep, she seems to think spending much more on a new beater makes more sense than me having a look at it and doing the work myself. Why fix one issue when you can gamble on a whole new shitbox.
Seemingly basic logic is often lost...

What car is it, some of the unit bearings can be a bit costly, but most of them are dead easy to swap out with the right tools.

Remove tire, remove caliper bracket (w caliper), pull rotor, remove 3-4 bolts, remove center nut, beat old one out (air hammer for the win- or reinstall tire and use PS box and a block of wood to walk it out), apply wire brush, apply never seize, reverse order.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #3944 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Quote:
Originally Posted by '[486
]well when you put it that way, it is a front wheel bearing

got any d60 fronts laying around?
Just some axletech 5000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan
Seemingly basic logic is often lost...

What car is it, some of the unit bearings can be a bit costly, but most of them are dead easy to swap out with the right tools.

Remove tire, remove caliper bracket (w caliper), pull rotor, remove 3-4 bolts, remove center nut, beat old one out (air hammer for the win- or reinstall tire and use PS box and a block of wood to walk it out), apply wire brush, apply never seize, reverse order.
01 ford escape. If I recall from sourcing parts for the rear, front hub, bearing and hardware kit is around $50. Rear bearing came out in pieces and was a bitch. The hub goes through the bearing onto the axle, bearing was was naturally seized in the hub.At least I have experience for the front now.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #3945 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
I'm not sure how far off suggested search results can be, but damn they didn't get any better the more i typed

Name:  search results.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  42.6 KB

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #3946 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
I'm not sure how far off suggested search results can be, but damn they didn't get any better the more i typed
H]
judging by your pictures in the background, the difference is a tube around the outside
Old 08-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #3947 (permalink)

Member # 178200
It's only Wednesday and it's already been a long fucking week, and it ain't getting any better......

Left Dallas Sunday afternoon and drove to Mccamey, Tx so I could be on a jobsite first thing Monday. Got a call Monday afternoon from another customer, right before I finished up the first job, who needed my services out in Hobbs, NM. Left Mccamey and drove to Hobbs. Took a look at the rig and it ended up needing parts overnighted to me to repair. Got the parts this morning, made the repair and GTFO of there. Made it back to Lamesa, Tx and the phone rings again..... Customer in El Paso wants me out there to disassemble his rig as soon as I can. 5.5hrs later I get to their shop. From the looks of it I'm going to be here until Friday afternoon. I'm 9.5hrs away from the house and will not be home until sometime Saturday.

AND THE GIANT KICK IN THE BALLS FOR THE WEEK.....

Parts for another rig up in Wyoming just showed up at my shop from the factory in Italy. I have to load up the parts Saturday afternoon and head up to Medicine Bow, Wyoming Sunday morning so I can be on site Monday.

So, right now I'm sitting at the hotel bar getting fucked up on Long Island Ice Teas dreading my 9.5hr and then 17hr drives I have coming in the next few days.

I love my job......

Last edited by SLOWPOKE693; 08-14-2019 at 07:57 PM.
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #3948 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
what kind of equipment you work on? That's a hell of a lot of driving literally in the middle of no where

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #3949 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
It's only Wednesday and it's already been a long fucking week, and it ain't getting any better......

Left Dallas Sunday afternoon and drove to Mccamey, Tx so I could be on a jobsite first thing Monday. Got a call Monday afternoon from another customer, right before I finished up the first job, who needed my services out in Hobbs, NM. Left Mccamey and drove to Hobbs. Took a look at the rig and it ended up needing parts overnighted to me to repair. Got the parts this morning, made the repair and GTFO of there. Made it back to Lamesa, Tx and the phone rings again..... Customer in El Paso wants me out there to disassemble his rig as soon as I can. 5.5hrs later I get to their shop. From the looks of it I'm going to be here until Friday afternoon. I'm 9.5hrs away from the house and will not be home until sometime Saturday.

AND THE GIANT KICK IN THE BALLS FOR THE WEEK.....

Parts for another rig up in Wyoming just showed up at my shop from the factory in Italy. I have to load up the parts Saturday afternoon and head up to Medicine Bow, Wyoming Sunday morning so I can be on site Monday.

So, right now I'm sitting at the hotel bar getting fucked up on Long Island Ice Teas dreading my 9.5hr and then 17hr drives I have coming in the next few days.

I love my job......

Got to love it. I am not nearly that bad, but been on the road a bunch lately. Leave Monday again for Canada, should be interesting because after talking to the customer I feel I am out of my element for what they want to do, but I am told 'you got this' so I guess I do??

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #3950 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
what kind of equipment you work on? That's a hell of a lot of driving literally in the middle of no where
Company I work for imports, sells and services specialized vertical drilling equipment that is made in Italy. Think giant drill press on tracks. Our bigger units are capable of drilling 25' diameter holes up to 300ft deep. They are used in the oil fields to drill mouse/rat holes, building & bridge foundations, and a bunch of other things that require big ass holes in the ground through solid rock. First job I was at on Monday was for a huge powerline/windmill company out of Weatherford, Tx. Job yesterday was for National Oilwell Varco on a drill site, and today's job is for a company that does state/government work along the border.

I honestly do love my job. I get to go to some cool ass places to work on rigs and get paid well to do it, so I really cant complain.
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in