CA minimum wage increase to $15 - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 203479
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
you forgot "California" as well
No I didn't..on purpose.

I like living here, sure some of the laws are pretty fawkin lame and majority of people stink like shit or are bleeding libtards....but if you ignore that; it's ok

Plus I've grown to like the Sierras a little too much to want to leave them behind..I shall have to do some traveling to find a good mountain range first before considering moving there
Plus nobody else has the Con' and 4Dice to wheel except us

Last edited by UndefinedTaco; 03-28-2016 at 06:59 PM.
UndefinedTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
No I didn't..on purpose.

I like living here, sure some of the laws are pretty fawkin lame and majority of people stink like shit or are bleeding libtards....but if you ignore that; it's ok

Plus I've grown to like the Sierras a little too much to want to leave them behind..I shall have to do some traveling to find a good mountain range first before considering moving there
Plus nobody else has the Con' and 4Dice to wheel except us
That sounds like a great place to visit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #128 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
Ain't no way you're buying a house ANYWHERE in California on minimum wage.

That's why California needs a higher minimum than elsewhere.
First off no one owes anyone the ability to buy a house.

Secondly.... I could afford my house on minimum wage in Santa Cruz ca. You know why I'm living in a tiny cheap house? Because my job and wage isn't guaranteed to me. I wanted to know that if shit hit the fan I could figure out how to make ends meet. I could bust my as splitting firewood, make my mortgage, and feed myself.
I'm living in a 480sq ft house saving my money until I can safely upgrade and keep my low payments.

Oh and to the person who made a comment about answering phones at a pest control company.... my sister has done that for the last 10+ years. She started out at minimum wage and has always had the attitude of doing her best possible. The longer she worked there the more money the company was making and the more they could afford to pay her. She is now making $21/ hour has paid off her newish nissan suv and looking to buy her first house.
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 176170
Anyone who thinks that raising the minimum wage to make it a "living wage" is actually a good idea has their head in their ass. It does not help the lower class, and only serves to screw the middle class.
With a large jump in the minimum wage, it will drive up the prices of everything that minimum wage people deal with. In turn, over time, the prices of everything will rise. That is a simple concept, known as "inflation".
The rotten part of this is that while the "career minimum wage" people will get a 50% increase in their wages as a reward for their mediocrity, the people who have worked hard and made good decisions to better themselves will very likely not get such an increase. Therefore, over a few years, the lower class will end up right back to where they are right now, and the middle class will go backwards through no wrongdoing on their part.
People like Screwey seem to think that a business automatically is a magical money making machine. They don't realize that a company has to keep a profit to stay in existence. And the buisiness owners will have to adjust pricing, as well as the work force numbers, to stay afloat. And you can't seem to teach them that...
Crocodile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #130 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26382
In the '90s, at 16-17 years old, I worked for $5/hr on a cattle ranch. At 18 I was delivering pizzas for $5.50/hr AND working at Pep Boys for $5.50/hr AND finishing highschool. After highschool, I realized these jobs weren't going to pay what I wanted so I got into construction starting at $10/hr. I quickly proved myself and it wasn't long before I was in the $20/hr range. I kept improving my knowledge and skills and my wage continued to follow along.

I guess I went about it all wrong. I should have been making $30k/yr for selling people shitty alternators.

Edit: minimum wage is bullshit. Wage should be nothing other than the area between the minimum amount you are willing to do a job for and the maximum an employer is willing to pay for that position. Want $15/hr? Get a job that pays $15/hr. Why is that so difficult to do?

Last edited by 300sniper; 03-28-2016 at 07:57 PM.
300sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 629561
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
It's not buying individual meals, it's called eating the same shit for multiple days....have you never watched documentaries on being a cheap ass?
Plenty of people have proven over time it's possible to survive with WAY less money then people think if you aren't a dumbass.

What some people call a meal and what is called a "surviving" meal is what people don't understand. Bacon and eggs and orange juice is not a surviving meal. Neither is pasta and a tri tip sandwich for lunch. Nor is a portion the size of your fucking head a "surviving" meal

Hell I spend maybe $25 a month on groceries, about $100 a month eating out ...I eat at work for free..including steak and salmon....pho....tri tip...ribs...whatever the fawk I want....but I also have the luxury of not being a fucking twatard and working at dickbrains emporium for $9 a hour.....why do I have this luxury? Because I use to be poor, and I fucking hated it. So I changed it. I didn't cry like a baby because I was stuck at Burger King or stuck at PetsMart for 7 years..... Like many many others can do with their lives.
If you don't wanna be poor, don't be fucking poor. It's a very simple concept that apparently people can't grasp.

I have to say, petsmart compensates their groomers quite well; my fiance has worked for them for three years and she averages about 19 bucks an hour plus way the fuck more pto and "stick time" than I've ever even fathomed working in construction trades.

I do have to point out that it's commission based party for her, do her effort has a hell of a lot to do with her paychecks.....
PbBleachguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 12:00 AM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 121866
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Martian View Post
If you haven't settled and have a job and house in California I would move out of state.

I keep looking at how this shithole is coming out and out of state keeps looking better and better.

The only thing causing any question is all of my family is here (only gen 3,4,5 since gen 1 and 2 have all died now).

Selling the house with 250k in equity will allow me to buy outright in many areas. Then I don't need a high paying job to survive nicely. Idaho and Texas look better and better. I'll just have to explain that I'm not like those morons from California who keep invading them.
I started going back to school last year, have a little over a year left if everything goes as planned. Ive seriously been considering Idaho as well, but I will have to move where I can find decent work. I'm only 25, so I have some time to figure life out, but I currently rent and I am tired of living paycheck to paycheck. So here is to hoping school works out for me! I'm hoping next year I can just sell off the wheeler, and other shit, load the truck up and move somewhere free.

All my family is here as well, so that will be somewhat difficult to be honest, but everything is so regulated here I cannot stand it!
904_runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 12:19 AM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Send a message via AIM to 92 Green YJ Send a message via Yahoo to 92 Green YJ
I'm gonna start by saying fawk all unions! They are outdated and useless in this day and age. They served their purpose during the industrial revolution, but now they just need to die. Any company worth working for offers all the benefits the unions championed hundreds of years ago when they first came about. They serve no more valid purpose.

I also agree with many in this thread that this is going to be a total cluster fawk and drove up prices on EVERYTHING! Minimum wage jobs are not supposed to be a career. Plain and simple. As many have said, it's a summer job for teens or a job for a low skilled or lazy person to take to get by. Nothing more.

In California it's already a bitch for teens to even get these jobs. I know I pretty much refuse to hire anyone under 18 right now because the work permit restrictions are such a pain in the ass to work around. They can only work limited hours, can't work past like 8 pm, etc. in the food service industry it just does not work out for me to have to work around those kinds of limitations.

Guess what, we also limit all of our staffs hours to part time to keep them below the threshold where we have to provide them with insurance benefits since that disaster took effect. All of these laws and programs do nothing to help the workers they claim to aim to help. They just make it more difficult for the owners and managers to run the damn business.

My real favorite example of the government handing out a businesses money for nothing is the new sick pay law. Here people now acrue sick hours they can use basically any time they want without even needing a doctors note. Had one of my dumb lazy employees pull this card on me the other day. He called in sick for a busy Saturday shift. Came in next day looking totally fine and wanted to use his sick hours. So I had to eat it and pay him his $10 an hour for the 6 hours he would normally have worked that day for sitting at home on his couch playing video games! On top of the other employee I had to pay to come in and work his shift! Now me personally, I will never use the sick hours I am accruing. It's just severely wrong to me to get paid to not work. I have vacation pay that I earn legitimately and I rarely even use that much to my wife's anger. But I also have something most of these millennial punks these days don't. A work ethic. I work sick, I work tired, I work when I'm hurt. It's just how I am.

Bottom line, if these lazy Fawkes want to make more money they can get off their fat lazy asses and fucking earn it like the rest of us. I'm a damn good worker. I show up early, I stay late, I bust my ass for my company to make us the best we can be, I control costs and expenses, and I do what needs to be done. I've been with this company for 7 years now. I started as a regular assistant manager making 32k a year. I have gotten a raise every single year at my annual review and my base salary has doubled in that time. My job title has changed to general manager and is soon changing again as I have been given another property to develop and oversee and my pay will go up again with the additional responsibilities involved. All because I earned it by busting my butt and being a good worker. We have several employees on our staff that frankly will not be worth the $15 an hour we will have to pay them.

And for the record, when the min wage went up to $10 an hour in January, we raised our menu prices across the board by $1 to $1.50 per item to cover the $1 more an hour we have to pay our staff.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:51 AM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 90864
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRegner View Post
It amazes me that the left thinks this will fix something. They operate under the misguided perception that the employer will just absorb the added payroll expense from their profit margin, instead of passing it on to the consumer, or cutting back personnel. It's just abso-fucking-lutely amazing.
The only thing they think it will fix is that they can now say " look we did something". the fact is by 2022, $15/hr will buy about the same as $7.50/hr is now regardless of what minimum wage does today.
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 06:45 AM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holocene View Post
You morons are setting up straw man arguments; I never said minimum wage should pay enough to support a family of 4, but it should pay enough to support an individual and not have them rely on any form of welfare.

And no, they should not have to work 80hrs a week for food and rent. Might as well bring back slavery at that point.

But hey, keep being content with multi-billion dollar corporations underpaying their employees and then having you foot the bill for their welfare benefits.
You really should consider suck starting a shot gun. You really are pretty much a worthless piece of shit...
Old 03-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumping View Post
You really should consider suck starting a shot gun. You really are pretty much a worthless piece of shit...
Just lock him in a room with some blue or purple hair paint, some pink eye shadow, and a fresh box of razor blades.

He's already got the spangly skinny jeans and the vintage Vans.

Put Evanescence on loop, and he'll fix himself.
Camarogenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #137 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
Another nice note that may have been missed. A min wage worker doing 40 hours a week makes what an E5 in the military does.

How cute.
While I agree that most military doesn't make nearly what I feel they should especially when putting their lives on the line but they chose that career knowing full well what the pay was ahead of time. Until there is a draft or we have a conscription army I don't see a point in complaining about the pay when you knew what it was going into it.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 07:08 AM   #138 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post
While I agree that most military doesn't make nearly what I feel they should especially when putting their lives on the line but they chose that career knowing full well what the pay was ahead of time. Until there is a draft or we have a conscription army I don't see a point in complaining about the pay when you knew what it was going into it.
Same could be said for anyone that takes any job no matter what it pays.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #139 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26382
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post
Which is the same choice every American worker should be doing. If a job only pays $5/hr and you are worth $15/hr, pass by the $5/hr job and go work at the $15/hr job. As an employee, you know damn well what wage you are signing up for.

The bottom line is, if an employer has a job and is underpaying, he will not find employees. It is (well, should be) his right to lower the wage until he sees fit (can't get employees, can't get decent employees), if he so chooses. This should not be the government's decision.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #140 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumping View Post
Same could be said for anyone that takes any job no matter what it pays.
Fact. Entry level pay is exactly that, entry level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
Which is the same choice every American worker should be doing. If a job only pays $5/hr and you are worth $15/hr, pass by the $5/hr job and go work at the $15/hr job. As an employee, you know damn well what wage you are signing up for.

The bottom line is, if an employer has a job and is underpaying, he will not find employees. It is (well, should be) his right to lower the wage until he sees fit (can't get employees, can't get decent employees), if he so chooses. This should not be the government's decision.
With .mil isn't there a schedule for advancement? Start at the bottom and get xx training and do xx and you move up the chain? So in effect you know going in how fast you can move up? I don't want to speak out of pocket since I flat don't know for sure but isn't that how it works?

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #141 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holocene View Post
If the employer isn't paying a living wage, then they are relying on the taxpayers (i.e. you) to absorb the cost through the funding of welfare benefits for the employees they're underpaying.

Whats a living wage based off of? Whats the specific math calculation to figure that out?

Your above argument would be valid if the abolishion of welfare was coming with a $15 p/h increase, but its not and most likely expanding.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #142 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 116537
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904_runner View Post
I started going back to school last year, have a little over a year left if everything goes as planned. Ive seriously been considering Idaho as well, but I will have to move where I can find decent work. I'm only 25, so I have some time to figure life out, but I currently rent and I am tired of living paycheck to paycheck. So here is to hoping school works out for me! I'm hoping next year I can just sell off the wheeler, and other shit, load the truck up and move somewhere free.

All my family is here as well, so that will be somewhat difficult to be honest, but everything is so regulated here I cannot stand it!
I grew up in a rural area just outside Flint, MI--graduated high school in 1982. This was the era that the UAW was at war with GM and losing. My father worked as a electrician for GM and made really good money for someone with a high school diploma and apprenticeship from GM.

I remember him telling me that the good old days were over, where you could finish high school and get a good job at GM and make enough money to raise a family. He told me that whether I went to college or not, I should plan on leaving the state because the economy was going to be fucked in Michigan for at least a generation. I left Michigan for a job just as soon as I finished college.

The old man was right. I return to Michigan a couple times a year and bump into old friends. By and large, they are doing at best "OK." They are in their early 50s and pretty much live hand-to-mouth with no retirement savings and no emergency funds.
emiller22207 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 6359
In two words:

Income Inequality

It is an absurd, utterly asinine concept. Nobody but a Liberal could even fathom such a statement. No different than communism or socialism. It's just the first step.

And yeah, I started at $1.65 an hour at a Der Wienerschnitzel on Pacific Coast Highway back in the day. Dude.. .. Made the three day 1,700 miles of gravel road drive to Kodiak Alaska in College to work docks at $5/hr, $7.50 overtime for college room and board. Worked 122 hours one week in the Halibut flash freezer at -40 F.

Fuck this shit.

Last edited by Lil Uzi; 03-29-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Lil Uzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #144 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
Anyone who thinks that raising the minimum wage to make it a "living wage" is actually a good idea has their head in their ass. It does not help the lower class, and only serves to screw the middle class.
With a large jump in the minimum wage, it will drive up the prices of everything that minimum wage people deal with. In turn, over time, the prices of everything will rise. That is a simple concept, known as "inflation".
The rotten part of this is that while the "career minimum wage" people will get a 50% increase in their wages as a reward for their mediocrity, the people who have worked hard and made good decisions to better themselves will very likely not get such an increase. Therefore, over a few years, the lower class will end up right back to where they are right now, and the middle class will go backwards through no wrongdoing on their part.
People like Screwey seem to think that a business automatically is a magical money making machine. They don't realize that a company has to keep a profit to stay in existence. And the buisiness owners will have to adjust pricing, as well as the work force numbers, to stay afloat. And you can't seem to teach them that...
I know that quite well. Consider: With minimum at a living wage for one person, you'd see a dramatic reduction in welfare payments, etc. and more enthusiasm for youngin's to join the workforce.
That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 36733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukemaggots View Post
Eat at Costco.
Price is higher than $1...A dog and a drink is $1.75

Last edited by DavidVanVorous; 03-29-2016 at 08:48 AM.
DavidVanVorous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #146 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
I know that quite well. Consider: With minimum at a living wage for one person, you'd see a dramatic reduction in welfare payments, etc. and more enthusiasm for youngin's to join the workforce.
Well isn't that just all puppies and sunshine.

Got any proof, or is that just more of your hastily formed thoughts?

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #147 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
Well isn't that just all puppies and sunshine.

Got any proof, or is that just more of your hastily formed thoughts?
Hasty.

I'm kinda like Trump, in that regard.
That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #148 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Hasty.

I'm kinda like Trump, in that regard.
That's the first thing you've said in a long time that I agree with.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #149 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Evil forbes i know, but article that disagrees: Forbes Welcome

Articles on raising it does more bad than good:
https://mises.org/library/how-minimu...crease-poverty
https://mises.org/library/yes-minimu...e-unemployment

Last edited by Gslander; 03-29-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Gslander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #150 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 116537
Quote:
Are you advocating the abolishment of welfare? That, we raise minimum wage to a level that makes it livable for one person and every able bodied person has to get a job--even if it's picking up litter on the highway?

If that's what you're proposing, count me in.

If that's not what you mean, then it's just bullshit. At a very broad level, what you suggest is simply a transfer of funding from individual taxpayers to businesses. Taxpayers will save some, but will have to pay what they save to the businesses who have to raise their prices.

It is the Free Lunch Myth. Here Screwy, watch this and learn something.

emiller22207 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in