Another EC225 Helicopter Crash kills all on board - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2016, 07:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 183665
Another EC225 Helicopter Crash kills all on board

All 13 Dead In Helicopter Crash; After Rotors Detach - Offshore Post

Short shaky video in the link. Crazy watching the blades slowly spin down to earth without the helicopter.

I was out working on a boat when we heard the mayday call from the national rescue service over the marine radio.

Seems like a major design flaw in this particular model. All previous crashes had to do with the same thing, and yet they cant property keep the part which makes the aircraft fly connected to the aircraft.
paintsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 40266
https://youtu.be/oD4jKBOIBwc

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050

I guess the Jesus nut was loose.

Kind of hard to autorotate when the rotor head separates from the aircraft.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->

Last edited by guidolyons; 04-30-2016 at 08:48 AM.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11484
Holy shit, first I've heard of such a thing!!
MR4WD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 183665
It looks like the rotor came down at a decent pace. And if it was still connected they might have at least had a chance. Especially so close to shore, everything is protected and a ton of small islands here. They wouldn't have froze to death in the middle of the North Sea at least if they made it into the water.

The EC225 Super Puma has had several similar failures recently. Don't think I would be too happy getting on one.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintsnow View Post
It looks like the rotor came down at a decent pace. And if it was still connected they might have at least had a chance. Especially so close to shore, everything is protected and a ton of small islands here. They wouldn't have froze to death in the middle of the North Sea at least if they made it into the water.

The EC225 Super Puma has had several similar failures recently. Don't think I would be too happy getting on one.
Weird the rotor came down as one piece (separated from fuselage)? At first I thought they were attempting an autorotation/emergency landing but that appears not to be the case?

Must have been a massive/almost unheard of mechanical failure...
Old 04-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
How many more times does this have to happen before they pull these from service?

Very eery seeing the rotors floating down by themselves. As much as I try not to, I thnk about these accidents every 4 weeks on my way to and from the rig.
Azzy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2016, 11:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post

I guess the Jesus nut was loose.

Kind of hard to autorotate when the rotor head separates from the aircraft.
They don't have a Jesus nut. That's Bell's (mostly inferior) method of attaching a rotor head to the mast.

Last edited by DirtyComanche; 04-30-2016 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Typo
DirtyComanche is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
They don't have a Jesus nut. That's Bell's (mostly inferior) method of attaching a rotor head to the mast.
I've heard of that before; "jesus" nut Like a singular nut that secures the entire rotor head to the shaft? What is used in substitute of that?

Maybe they forgot the Loctite

Last edited by FlexyTJ; 04-30-2016 at 11:20 AM.
FlexyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
Weird the rotor came down as one piece (separated from fuselage)? At first I thought they were attempting an autorotation/emergency landing but that appears not to be the case?

Must have been a massive/almost unheard of mechanical failure...
This shit happens. I don't know what exactly failed, but the mast assembly in all helicopters is under a tremendous amount of strain, so many helicopters have 'growing pains' in regards to mast and mast bearing failures that result in rotor system separation.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
I've heard of that before "jesus" nut Like a singular nut that secures the entire rotor head to the shaft? What is used in substitute of that?

Maybe they forgot the Loctite
On most Bell junk the mast is a fancy piece of 300M tubing, splined on both ends (and a few other places), with the lower splines being in the transmission (driving it) and the upper splines having the rotor head on them. They use a conical/taper seat below the top splines on the mast, then the top of the mast is threaded to take a rather large nut that sucks the rotor head down onto the taper, thus giving a very snug fit.

So, since there's only one nut, it's the Jesus nut. It's either because if it comes loose the first and last words after that are 'Jesus!' or because there's only one Jesus and he's an important fellow.

Other manufacturers have a flange on the top of the mast, which multiple bolts thread into or through, which is used to hold the head on. Others are a combination, with splines to take the torsional loading and multiple bolts/flange to retain it. And there's other goofy things where the mast has a complicated forging on one end, which is then machined to accept individual head components, thus making the mast and head essentially one assembly.

On some Airbus products the head retention nuts are referred to as 'Apostles', as there is a bunch of them and they're Jesus's little followers. At least people around here call them that, they don't likely in Europe though.

I don't know much about the 225, I worked for a place that had them but they sold them and got S92s before I had any chance to be involved with them.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11484
Weird. Super Pumas are dirt cheap right complete with a spares ship. This is discouraging!
MR4WD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR4WD View Post
Weird. Super Pumas are dirt cheap right complete with a spares ship. This is discouraging!
Yeah, they've been around a while, I wasn't aware of this being a problem in the past.

Everyone I knew that dealt with them thought they were a pretty decent aircraft. Better than the S92.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 133009
Quote:
On most Bell junk the mast is a fancy piece of 300M tubing, splined on both ends (and a few other places), with the lower splines being in the transmission (driving it) and the upper splines having the rotor head on them. They use a conical/taper seat below the top splines on the mast, then the top of the mast is threaded to take a rather large nut that sucks the rotor head down onto the taper, thus giving a very snug fit.

So, since there's only one nut, it's the Jesus nut. It's either because if it comes loose the first and last words after that are 'Jesus!' or because there's only one Jesus and he's an important fellow.

Other manufacturers have a flange on the top of the mast, which multiple bolts thread into or through, which is used to hold the head on. Others are a combination, with splines to take the torsional loading and multiple bolts/flange to retain it. And there's other goofy things where the mast has a complicated forging on one end, which is then machined to accept individual head components, thus making the mast and head essentially one assembly.

On some Airbus products the head retention nuts are referred to as 'Apostles', as there is a bunch of them and they're Jesus's little followers. At least people around here call them that, they don't likely in Europe though.

I don't know much about the 225, I worked for a place that had them but they sold them and got S92s before I had any chance to be involved with them.
Don't forget Robinsons 3 bolt system. One for each blade and one to hold the head onto the mast

I don't guess that particular company needs to worry about the bolts when the blades will delaminate first.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoads View Post
Don't forget Robinsons 3 bolt system. One for each blade and one to hold the head onto the mast

I don't guess that particular company needs to worry about the bolts when the blades will delaminate first.
Robinson Pretendacopters are a little too scary for me to spend any time with. I've never worked on one, and intend to keep it that way.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
Quote:
Robinson Pretendacopters are a little too scary for me to spend any time with. I've never worked on one, and intend to keep it that way.
I always thought they were kinda neat looking. 6 cylinder Lycoming, correct?
Camarogenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarogenius View Post
Yeah, they're Lycoming powered, IIRC. Lots of different submodels between the R22 and R44, but the R22 is 4cyl and the R44 6cyl IIRC.

Like I said, I won't work on them. I also have very little aircraft piston engine experience. I help people with their planes (not for money) every now and then, and that's about it, I don't think I'd be comfortable doing much and signing my name to it.

They make a turbine version now too (R66).

Old 04-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:

Interesting info!! thanks for sharing
FlexyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Extended Member

Member # 69765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarogenius View Post

The r22 had a 4cyl the r44 has the 6cyl lycoming.

Stupid helicopter. Soooo light and chinsey feeling. Blades are so light. Watch one spoil up and down and the amount the tail shakes is unnerving.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Follow my adventures on Instagram:
Kyle_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 183665
I think this bring it up to 6 crashes since 2009 in the North Sea and the death toll up to 33. This helicopter has been falling out of the sky for quite some time, and they can't seem to get it fixed.

Maybe they will finally ground it permanently. Looks like the UK grounded all operations of this model due to the Norway crash in addition to the Norwegians grounding them. Interesting to see what plays out. I saw that the unit that fell out of the sky had maintenance delayed for 200 flight hours.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:13 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 176571
Has anybody found any names of the people killed?

A friend of mine works for Welltec over there a lot and the article said one guy from Welltec was onboard.

Last edited by covered wagon; 04-30-2016 at 02:14 PM.
covered wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2016, 05:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 133009
Quote:
I went to their school and have worked/flown on them quite a bit. Once you learn the quirks they seem less sketchy. The thing to remember is that the tolerance for acceptable work and components is tiny when compared to other aircraft. There is nothing about that aircraft that is not 100% critical.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 208306

That's super fucked up, RIP to all aboard .

Valley Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2016, 09:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Extended Member

Member # 69765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoads View Post
I went to their school and have worked/flown on them quite a bit. Once you learn the quirks they seem less sketchy. The thing to remember is that the tolerance for acceptable work and components is tiny when compared to other aircraft. There is nothing about that aircraft that is not 100% critical.

Least critical part is the pilot. No joke.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Follow my adventures on Instagram:
Kyle_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
I've heard of that before; "jesus" nut Like a singular nut that secures the entire rotor head to the shaft?
Yep. Pretty much what Dirty Comanche said above. Bell Helicopters have one big nut atop the rotor mast that holds the rotor head on.

Quote:
Yes, I know what the Jesus nut is, hence my reference to it. I know that the EC225 has a fully articulated rotor system much more advance than Bell's teeter-totter Yet, apparently, the the mechanism for retaining the rotor head on an EC225 has some design flaws.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->

Last edited by guidolyons; 05-01-2016 at 04:06 PM.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in